✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Bush Proposes New Amendment to Congress

punks united

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree less.

I don't see the harm in letting same sex couples wed. It doesn't make the partnershpi of a man and a woman mean less. It doesn't harm a heterosexual couple in any way if homosexuals are allowed to wed.

I thought today was a very sad day for the country. I think years from now we'll look back on this day as a day similar to Gov. Wallace standing in front of the classrooms at the University of Alabama, attempting to keep black students out.

i think that same sex marriages should be, in the eyes of the government, the same as marriages between a man and a woman. as long as there are government benefits attached to marriage, it's just as unconstitutional to deny same sex couples of that right as it is to deny, say, blacks or hispanics that right.

and don't give me this "civil union" crap either, remember "blacks only" water fountains and restaurants? basically the same thing. seperate but equal = unconstitutional

ouch... right before an election campaign as well

just like it says in your sig "i just don't care" :)

but the surprising thing is that 83% of the U.S. would agree with a constitutional ban...so it's not really that bad politically....but u have to admire him for doing with what he believes in...

I couldn't agree less.

I don't see the harm in letting same sex couples wed. It doesn't make the partnershpi of a man and a woman mean less. It doesn't harm a heterosexual couple in any way if homosexuals are allowed to wed.

I thought today was a very sad day for the country. I think years from now we'll look back on this day as a day similar to Gov. Wallace standing in front of the classrooms at the University of Alabama, attempting to keep black students out.

but see the country and constitution have roots in christianity and same sex marriages aren't okay in the religion so technically it's going against the principles

I couldn't agree less.

but see the country and constitution have roots in christianity and same sex marriages aren't okay in the religion so technically it's going against the principles

so maybe 200 years ago the amendment would have been a good idea.

the constitution has explicit language about government not endorsing religion, so the religion argument doesn't really work.

Bush is trying to force his opposition's hand on this issue (in addition to appease a conservative base). He's trying to force Kerry to jump off the fence he's been sitting on. It will be interesting to see Kerry try and stay on that fence.

Well the way i see it the U.S. is primarily Christian and the fact of the matter is no matter how many other religions are here ...the majority rules just like in India they would look primarily to Hinduism.....i know the religion argument may not seem like enough to back it up with...

but the surprising thing is that 83% of the U.S. would agree with a constitutional ban...so it's not really that bad politically....but u have to admire him for doing with what he believes in...

in that case its surely a propaganda stunt... thought through by his 'team' of course!

in that case its surely a propaganda stunt... thought through by his 'team' of course!

Thus numbers are wrong.

From msnbc.com:

"A recent nationwide CNN poll found that by a margin of 64-32, those surveyed said gay marriages should not be recognized in law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages.

On a separate question, 48 percent of those surveyed said it should be up to the federal government to pass laws regarding gay marriages, while another 46 percent said the states should take that role. "

Here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4360783/

Thus numbers are wrong.

how so?

Ah, I'm not a big fan of this "people from the same sex getting together" idea but... i think it is soo wrong to prohibit em from doing it. Like, if you're a man and you like another man, that's your problem. people are free to do whatever they want... well... that's what i think.

"Bring down, the government... they don't.. they don't speak for us."

Thus numbers are wrong.

how so?

64% of people don't agree with gay marriage.

That's not the same as supporting amendeding the Constitution.

Above you see that less than 50% of the public even wants the federal government to handle it. I imagine less than 100% of those people want the government to do something.

I couldn't find a source for this, but I saw on CNN today that they did a poll where 39% of people support amending the Constitution to ban gay marriage.

Why do people think that stuff that people or politicians do that sometimes don't favor the majority is propaganda????? Please let me know..... :embarrased:

yeah' date=' that's another thing that always bugs me.[/quote']

religion??

no, the idea that religion somehow has a place in politics.

i'm not accusing anybody here of doing this, but this whole thing reminds me of how people i know will look at arabic countries and talk about how the islamic religion is too closely integrated with the government, then five minutes later reject same sex marriages on the basis that it offends their christian ideals.

as for the whole "majority rules" thing, should the majority still rule if the majority supports something that's essentially unconstitutional? "marriage" may be a religious concept, but the fact remains that it's also a government institution, and if the government will let married people have benefits like tax breaks and insurance breaks, etc etc, it is WRONG to deny that to ANYBODY.

I don't admire people with these principles being acted upon. I respect his view, as a person, that gay marriage is wrong. I don't agree with that. I don't agree with him thinking government should outlaw this.

Okay....George Bush proposed an ammendment today to add to the U.S. Constituion, making same sex maririages illegal or uncostitutional.

My thought on this is I agree, but I know many other people won't...so what are your opinion?

XOXO Nikki

i agree

and it has nothing to do with religion.