✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

City of God

Most people probably haven't heard of this movie, but if you have a chance to see it, and you don't mind reading subtitles for two hours, it is VERY very good.

It's about gang warfare in the streets of Rio de Janiero, and was filmed there using many amateur actors and actresses who actually grew up in the slums there.

Anyway, it's sad and it's tragic, but it's also a reminder of how well off even the poorest Americans are compared to these people.

• 3 weeks later...

City of what? :stunned:

I love this movie. It has everything. Even a great deal of comedy.

I love the scene where the main kid keeps trying to mug people he meets and he keeps saying "Ah I couldnt have mugged him, he was too cool". When he gets the picture of the gang on the front of the paper and he starts freaking out about it, and then the gang are like loving it, thats funny shiat right there.

I need to get this movie out again, or buy it. :idea2:

Yeah, there was a lot of humor to it... it kind of reminded me of a Quentin Tarantino movie, the way it kept shifting back and forth between storylines and characters and such. Except it's better than anything Tarantino's ever done. :P

I was lucky enough to see it in a theater. :cool:

It IS like Tarantino, but I wouldnt go as far as to say its better than anything hes done.

Despite the general likeliness, I just think the films are too different to compare. City of God has a more timeless, classicly written plot, Tarantino is more about dialogue and the general plot almost carries the dialogue along sometimes.

It IS like Tarantino, but I wouldnt go as far as to say its better than anything hes done.

Despite the general likeliness, I just think the films are too different to compare. City of God has a more timeless, classicly written plot, Tarantino is more about dialogue and the general plot almost carries the dialogue along sometimes.

I may not be "better" per se (and there's not really any need to compare them anyway), but I can say that I enjoyed City of God more than any Tarantino movie.

Hey!

I thought I´d never see a thread of this movie. That´s amazing! :D

In general, I don´t like brazilians movies, but this one made me proud.

And you know what? I live near to City of God....

Hey!

So what's it actually like there? I'd be interested to hear about it first-hand.

Guest LiquidSky

I've been trying to watch this movie...but nowhere to be found... :dozey: Now where can I find it? :/

Guest LiquidSky

well it feels like a long time to me... :shy:

sorry, I'm having a bit of nostalgia today... :( :/ :confused:

awww, well I'm glad I caught you online then, good luck with the gigantic paper :stunned:

Hey!

So what's it actually like there? I'd be interested to hear about it first-hand.

Yeah, well, it used to be really bad, now it isn´t so dangerous...But it´s still creepy. I don´t like pass throught there.