✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Sonic Youth

Sonic Youth Also another great band. Very Very talented at the instuments they play. When i listen 2 the music i just go crazy over every note and effect they play. If you haven't heard of them you should download some of their music. Such as Rain On Tin,Sunday etc....

Downloading or purchasing there music will not dissapoint. :)

Have You Heard Of Them ?

If you have, what do you think of them ?

• 3 years later...

[Album Review] Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

Its sort of hard to imagine the current crop of bands still going strong 25 years after their debut. Can you picture Coldplay in 2022? Or The Kaiser Chiefs in 2028? Or even Orson in 25 years (where they will mostly be in their sixties I should imagine). Can you see these bands still releasing albums of new material in the whizzy exciting twenty-twenties?

Well, Sonic Youth can still manage it, and are at the stage where new records just slip out, with little fanfare. The beauty of their career now is that there is not a whole lot of expectation for them to "better" their previous efforts or to bring out that show-stopping album. This must be quite a nice state of affairs to be in, knowing that you can just produce the music you want to make without the weight of the world on your shoulders, hanging onto every beat, waiting for you to slip up and make a misjudgement. Sonic Youth can just get on with things, making music and, when its ready, release it. A luxury not many bands have in this day and age.

However, that is not say that they live a charmed life, as this is the last record as part of their deal with Geffen. But rather than go out with noise and something avant-garde, they have actually produced something more "listenable" and straight-forward. The album was described by Thurston Moore as "a super song record" containing "rockers and ballads", and this is certainly the case. Opening track Reena starts with a wonderful piece of melodic guitar, mingling and mixing to fine effect. Incinerate is also pretty special, a very "old" sounding track that could have been written at the height of grunge. Its pitter-patter drums give the track a lot of charm, and there is a superb bit about two thirds in where the band seem to forget what track they are playing and just freak out for a bit before getting back to business.

Sleeping Around is a rougher track, full of fuzzed up guitars and a hard abrasive bass. What A Waste sees Gordon on vocals, as does Jams Run Free, full of stuttering rhythms and a chiming guitar that echoes the vocal. Album highlight though is Turquoise Boy - it starts small, with an old fashioned guitar set against a piano line, before developing into a piece full of twists and turns and fine ideas. There are few vocals, just some of the best music on this album.

Nothing from here really matches those heights, but it is not without its moments. The Neutral, despite featuring guitar sounds not heard since the eighties, is pretty good, as is Or, more experimental in tone with a tumbling beat and some muted instrumentation providing the backbone for the vocal. The UK release also comes with two "bonus" tracks, which are far more freaky in nature than the rest of the album.

Whilst not the best of their career there are some good songs here. On this album Sonic Youth somehow manage to incorporate styles and themes and sounds that encapsulate their career, taking pieces from all parts of their history. Whilst at times it comes across as a bit of a patchwork quilt, there is much here to show that they may even last another twenty-five years.

Tracks:

1. Reena

2. Incinerate

3. Do You Believe In Rapture

4. Sleepin' Around

5. What A Waste

6. Jams Runs Free

7. Rats

8. Turquoise Boy

9. Lights Out

10. Neutral

11. Pink Steam

12. Or

Release Date:

Out Now

• 1 year later...

Sonic Youth record Bob Dylan cover for film

Eddie Vedder, Karen O also lend a hand

2 hours ago

Sonic Youth have announced that they recently recorded a cover of the Bob Dylan track 'I'm Not There' for the forthcoming film of the same name.

The band recorded the song for the Todd Haynes-directed film at their own studio with John Agnello and Aaron Mullan of Tall Firs.

Sonic Youth guitarist Lee Ranaldo laid down additional tracks for the film with an all-star lineup of guest vocalists including Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Stephen Malkmus and Tom Verlaine.

'I'm Not There' is due out later this year and features seven different actors portraying Dylan including Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett and Richard Gere. Each actor is meant to embody a different aspect of the legendary musician's life and work.

SONIC YOUTH LOOK BACK ON DAYDREAM NATION

Alt.rock pioneers play first of three nights as part of the ATP season

sonicyouth210207_W.jpg

Sonic Youth played the first night of a three date residency at London's Roundhouse last night (August 30).

Playing as part of the Don’t Look Back Festival organised by All Tomorrow's Parties, the band were reprising their 1988 double album Daydream Nation.

Starting with 'Teenage Riot' - highlights from the album included Hendrix tribute 'Hey Joni' and 'Eric's Trip.'

Afterwards, Sonic Youth were joined by new bass player Mark Ibold, formerly of Pavement, for a set of material from new album Rather Ripped.

They played only one track from their the rest of their past back catalogue - 'Mote' from 1990's 'Goo'.

“That’s enough of our old shit!” commented guitarist Thurston Moore.

For Uncut.co.uk's full report on the show - click here for Reviews Editor John Robinson's blog.

Sonic Youth play the Roundhouse again tonight (August 31) and tomorrow (September 1).

The full set list last night was:

Teen Age Riot

Silver Rocket

The Sprawl

Cross The Breeze

Eric's Trip

Total Trash

Hey Joni

Providence

Candle

Rain King

Kissability

Trilogy - Wonder/Hyperstation /Eliminator Jr

-------------

Incinerate

Reena

Mote

Do You Believe In Rapture

Jams Run Free

Pink Steam

------------

Shaking Hell

Good :)

I'm surprised you ain't posted about how that group is suing the government over 7/7

Well, probably get ignored here anyway. Too many people just sit and wondering about non-existing old coldplay recordings - which is fine but I hate high level *sycophanticness*

The victims families are pushing for the decision not to have an investigative inquiry looked at again and hopefully then publicly look at all the evidence properly - without the government creating a narrative out of thin air like last time, then amending that narrative multiple times still without a real investigation.

I'm telling you, there are some really big things that are being absolutely ignored by some people within our government and it's not helping. It's like they are just going to ignore everything and put off every question until everyone involved is old, dead and nobody cares.

90+ percent of Americans in polls have said that they now think JFK was ordered dead by people within government (LBJ) but they don't really feel it sad enough to get mad because it's been over 40 years since the fact.

It's even the same with the 1995 Murrah Building bombing. Pretty much impossible to believe some of the "official" story about that - it's madness - yet when people look into it now they see it as pretty old news - while it still scares the shit out of me. Really scares the shit right out.

It's dark stuff (not my shit) yet it's a footprint of all corrupt sections of governments (again, not my poo)

Government always goes bad! (at least the section with all the power)

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...