✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What are you reading right now?

I've just started to read The Big Lie by Julie Mayhew - it's written for the young adult market but I've recently found out that 80% of YA fiction is read by adults over the age of 25 so we are in good company.

It's about a young girl - I get the feeling she is around 14 or 15 and it's set in a Nazi-controlled 21st century. She is a champion ice skater and is struggling with her emerging sexuality. She seems to be fiercely attracted to her friend Clementine but also finds men attractive too. She has a very strict father so this is hitting home with me.

It's well written and Julie is so talented. Well worth a read.

EDITED as got the century it was set in wrong.

[emoji5]

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest diogo_sg

Started reading The Divine Comedy this morning. Loving it so far. It's a very interesting book indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! It's been a loooooong long time since I visited the forum, but today I felt nostaligic...I am reading Rivers of London (brilliant, funny book), Testament of Youth and How to Be a Woman.

• 2 weeks later...

A book called A Million Little Pieces. It's so good, one of those that I can't put down. It's about a man going through rehabilitation as he is dependant on drugs and alcohol. It's a true story about what the author actually went through, and it's incredible reading about him recover, receive hope and see life in a more positive light, very inspiring x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Coldplaying mobile app

A book called A Million Little Pieces. It's so good, one of those that I can't put down. It's about a man going through rehabilitation as he is dependant on drugs and alcohol. It's a true story about what the author actually went through, and it's incredible reading about him recover, receive hope and see life in a more positive light, very inspiring x

I feel so terrible doing this, because I hate to ruin any of your reading enjoyment of this book, but I think you should know that the author eventually admitted to embellishing, even falsifying, a lot of the details in this book. I believe the book got reclassified from memoir to fiction after the scandal broke. I hope you keep reading it, and continue to enjoy it as a "partially" true story of his road to recovery. Think of it as a really good warning about what could happen with addiction.

[emoji17]

http://www.today.com/popculture/frey-admits-lying-oprah-apologizes-viewers-2D80556017

I feel so terrible doing this, because I hate to ruin any of your reading enjoyment of this book, but I think you should know that the author eventually admitted to embellishing, even falsifying, a lot of the details in this book. I believe the book got reclassified from memoir to fiction after the scandal broke. I hope you keep reading it, and continue to enjoy it as a "partially" true story of his road to recovery. Think of it as a really good warning about what could happen with addiction.

[emoji17]

http://www.today.com/popculture/frey-admits-lying-oprah-apologizes-viewers-2D80556017

It's ok, thanks for letting me know. I did feel quite naive reading it. I'm about halfway through. I was just chatting to a uni friend about the book last week and it turns out she read it about 10 years ago and can remember certain parts of the book well I'm wondering whether to let her know the story isn't entirely true. Have you read it? x

It's ok, thanks for letting me know. I did feel quite naive reading it. I'm about halfway through. I was just chatting to a uni friend about the book last week and it turns out she read it about 10 years ago and can remember certain parts of the book well I'm wondering whether to let her know the story isn't entirely true. Have you read it? x

No, I never read it, but I remembered the story about it from years ago. Don't feel bad that you hadn't heard it yourself. I live near Chicago (southwestern Michigan actually) where this book got really famous because of the Oprah Winfrey show that was based in Chicago, so I heard a lot of news about it at the time. Yesterday I was scrolling through new forum posts and happened to catch the book title in your posting and it sounded familiar. I did some Google searches to make sure it's what I remembered, and unfortunately it was. [emoji53]

If you like interesting memoirs, I highly recommend "Brain on Fire" by Susannah Cahalan. It's not about drug addiction or rehab, but it's a fascinating true account of this woman's experience with a medical condition that caused her to go mad for a period of time and almost killed her. She had a long recovery as well, and her courage to keep fighting, and then to write about afterwards, is inspiring. It's one of the best books I've ever read.

[MEDIA=amazon]1451621388[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Fire-My-Month-Madness/dp/1451621388

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

At the moment I'm reading 'The Question of German Guilt' by Karl Jaspers. It wasn't really my decision to pick this book but sometimes people need to learn something new I assume.

Unfortunately, my classmates and I were made to read this book by the History teacher. Well, what can I say about it when I've been reading the book for more than two months and still haven't finished? This must be the most elaborate and tough book I've ever held in my hands!

• 2 months later...

These days I'm reading Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle and so far it's been quite a gripping story. I'm really surprised and wonder at all the events the main character has gone through. It might make you ponder how much cruel and tough it was in Germany during the time when WWI and WWII broke out and were happening... Well, there have already been instants when I was shivering and trembling to think...

Well, the life story of a person that was based on Rudolf Höss, the commandant of the concentration camp Auschwitz.

The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. It is both cleverly humorous and heart breaking at the same time about a awkward and strange upbringing as an adopted child of eccentric people in 1950s Ireland and realizing you are gay in a country where religion rules everything. I'm only about 25% through but can tell heartbreaking violence is likely to occur in the coming pages...

"Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray.

I pick up any book that has won or been nominated for an award . This one was shortlisted for the 2010 Costa Novel Award.

Only just into the first few chapters but it's made me chuckle a few times. We'll written and funny.

• 3 months later...

Technically not a book I'm reading right now but the one I've already read. And yet I really wanted to mention it.

I'm talking about "The Beach" by Alex Garland. As for me, there were times I had to try to plough through the chapters and convince myself to carry on reading willy-nilly as I was curious what would happen. However, thankfully the more chaps I managed to read, the book became much more interesting. I never knew what was about to go on and I believe that made the book truly great and intriguing. Despite all the praise I have brought out, I'm somehow certain I was too young to read this book. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it and don't regret choosing this work of art.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...