✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What are you reading right now?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading the "Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath". It's a diary spanning roughly 12 years of her much too short life, and I'm only on page 17 of 670...but wow, that is one hell of a diary ! The metaphors, her thoughts about life....of course there is also a lot of not-so-interestting stuff about for example whatever guy she dated at the time but it's really worth reading for her deep musings about the world and life. Many of these thoughts are similar to what I think and the themes I use in my own poetry, so it is very interesting to me. The sad bottom line of all this, of course, is that this beautiful mind also committed suicide at 30. I know that thinking too much about life and its meaning has never been a healthy thing to do, so that's something to keep in mind if you choose to read this. Probably not ideal reading if you are depressed,

Currently reading the "Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath". It's a diary spanning roughly 12 years of her much too short life, and I'm only on page 17 of 670...but wow, that is one hell of a diary ! The metaphors, her thoughts about life....of course there is also a lot of not-so-interestting stuff about for example whatever guy she dated at the time but it's really worth reading for her deep musings about the world and life. Many of these thoughts are similar to what I think and the themes I use in my own poetry, so it is very interesting to me. The sad bottom line of all this, of course, is that this beautiful mind also committed suicide at 30. I know that thinking too much about life and its meaning has never been a healthy thing to do, so that's something to keep in mind if you choose to read this. Probably not ideal reading if you are depressed,

Very interesting. I think that maybe deep thought isn't what causes depression, but rather usually a depressed person ends up searching for some meaningfulness in life which results in those deep thoughts. I'm actually pretty interested in these topics and was considering starting a philosophy thread on here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest diogo_sg
Heey, have you finished it? I`m still waiting for your review ;)

You are? Thank you! That's really nice. Haha! But no, I haven't finished it yet. It's a rather short book, but it's a bit difficult to find time to read it, specially with school. But don't worry. I'll finish it soon [emoji6]

You are? Thank you! That's really nice. Haha! But no, I haven't finished it yet. It's a rather short book, but it's a bit difficult to find time to read it, specially with school. But don't worry. I'll finish it soon [emoji6]

Haha ok. I remembered that yesterday! I read something about types of families being compared to types of birds,so it came to my mind,that book and that you said you were reading it.

• 2 months later...

The shock of the fall by Nathan Filer. It follows a boy as he loses his brother and the mental health issues which arise from this.

It's hugely readable and the description of mental health issues is something I have not encountered before. It's a very real book but very entertaining. [emoji4]

Guest diogo_sg

Finished reading The Conference Of Birds moments ago (it took me a reeeeeally long time to read such a short book!)

Will post something about it soon ;)

Guest diogo_sg

I won't give away too many details about the story because there may be some people here who'd like to read the book and I don't want to spoil it for them. Nonetheless, I will still use the spoiler thing:

The Conference Of Birds (by Farid Ud-Din Attar) is about a group of birds who, one day, decide that they should have a leader, just like every other nation in the world has. One of the birds, the hoopoe, the wisest of them all, says that they already have one - his name is Simurg and he lives far away, in the mountains. That's when the birds decide to leave their home in search for him.

This is just a very small fraction of the whole story, which is a lot more complex and longer. I won't tell anything else about is beacuse I really don't want to spoil it for anyone. Sorry.

So, here's my review:

This book is unlike any other book I've ever read in my whole life. I'm not joking. It's build out of short stories, anecdotes and chronicles, each of them with a particular lesson for the reader to learn. And I did learn a lot from this book.

All the things Chris says about accepting everything that happens to you because it's part of life, even if it's painful and makes you suffer, I could find them written in the pages of this book. Be it through some sort of metaphor or through a very literal sentence, the things Chris says he has learned from Sufism are in this book. So I did notice some similarities to The Guest House (the poem in Kaleidoscope).

The entire story is heavily connected with religion (Islam) and the whole point of this book is teaching us what we need to know and do to reunite our soul with God (which includes letting go of luxury, egoism and basically everything - the world - and start living as lowly as possible. According to this book, this is the only way to enter the spiritual path that leads to God and immortality - by dying to the outside world, which is full of sin, and embracing the inner world.

I should admit that I consider myself an agnostic, so all the things related to religion were a little strange for me, specially the parts where the book pretty much tells us to slowly kill ourselves in order to find God. Those moments were a bit disquieting to go through, to be honest. But apart from those, this book teached me many things on how to become more selfless and less selfish.

This may seem a bit weird but I stopped looking in the mirror so often because of what this book teached me about disconnecting myself from mundane things (such as the way I look, for example). I used to care a lot about my physical appearance but I don't anymore and that's mostly because of this book (and Chris and the rest of the band too).

Another thing that I learned from this book is that it is very important to (simply) love. You might not even know what you love; what matters is that you do.

The Conference Of Birds is a strange book, I have to admit. It isn't the typical kind of book that you find yourself reading now and then. But it's exactly that weirdness that makes it unique. It's full of passion and I did appreciate it immensly.

Putting religions and the rather crazy stuff the story contains aside, this book is definitely worth being read and shared. I loved reading it and meditating about it (I still do, both).

I would also like to point out that I needed to have a dictionary close by while reading this book, because the vocabulary was a bit tricky sometimes.

All in all, The Conference Of Birds is a great read and those who read it will absolutely learn something from it.

7.5 / 10

[emoji106]

I won't give away too many details about the story because there may be some people here who'd like to read the book and I don't want to spoil it for them. Nonetheless, I will still use the spoiler thing:

The Conference Of Birds (by Farid Ud-Din Attar) is about a group of birds who, one day, decide that they should have a leader, just like every other nation in the world has. One of the birds, the hoopoe, the wisest of them all, says that they already have one - his name is Simurg and he lives far away, in the mountains. That's when the birds decide to leave their home in search for him.

This is just a very small fraction of the whole story, which is a lot more complex and longer. I won't tell anything else about is beacuse I really don't want to spoil it for anyone. Sorry.

So, here's my review:

This book is unlike any other book I've ever read in my whole life. I'm not joking. It's build out of short stories, anecdotes and chronicles, each of them with a particular lesson for the reader to learn. And I did learn a lot from this book.

All the things Chris says about accepting everything that happens to you because it's part of life, even if it's painful and makes you suffer, I could find them written in the pages of this book. Be it through some sort of metaphor or through a very literal sentence, the things Chris says he has learned from Sufism are in this book. So I did notice some similarities to The Guest House (the poem in Kaleidoscope).

The entire story is heavily connected with religion (Islamism) and the whole point of this book is teaching us what we need to know and do to reunite our soul with God (which includes letting go of luxury, egoism and basically everything - the world - and start living as lowly as possible. According to this book, this is the only way to enter the spiritual path that leads to God and immortality - by dying to the outside world, which is full of sin, and embracing the inner world.

I should admit that I consider myself an agnostic, so all the things related to religion were a little strange for me, specially the parts where the book pretty much tells us to slowly kill ourselves in order to find God. Those moments were a bit disquieting to go through, to be honest. But apart from those, this book teached me many things on how to become more selfless and less selfish.

This may seem a bit weird but I stopped looking in the mirror so often because of what this book teached me about disconnecting myself from mundane things (such as the way I look, for example). I used to care a lot about my physical appearance but I don't anymore and that's mostly because of this book (and Chris and the rest of the band too).

Another thing that I learned from this book is that it is very important to (simply) love. You might not even know what you love; what matters is that you do.

The Conference Of Birds is a strange book, I have to admit. It isn't the typical kind of book that you find yourself reading now and then. But it's exactly that weirdness that makes it unique. It's full of passion and I did appreciate it immensly.

Putting religions and the rather crazy stuff the story contains aside, this book is definitely worth being read and shared. I loved reading it and meditating about it (I still do, both).

I would also like to point out that I needed to have a dictionary close by while reading this book, because the vocabulary was a bit tricky sometimes.

All in all, The Conference Of Birds is a great read and those who read it will absolutely learn something from it.

7.5 / 10

:thumbsup:

Nice review, thanks ! I should check it out. :)

By the way I noticed one thing in your review - surely you mean Islam, not Islamism which is an entirely different thing.

Right now I'm reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. Never read a Sparks book before. It seems to be a typical love story, apparently this writer has produced romantic movies as well... I'll see how this ends but I think is kinda predictable haha

Guest diogo_sg
Nice review, thanks ! I should check it out. :)

By the way I noticed one thing in your review - surely you mean Islam, not Islamism which is an entirely different thing.

Thank you! Glad about that! [emoji4]

And yes, I meant Islam. So sorry. Will edit that right away! Thank you so much :embarrassed:

So, here's my review:

The entire story is heavily connected with religion (Islam) and the whole point of this book is teaching us what we need to know and do to reunite our soul with God (which includes letting go of luxury, egoism and basically everything - the world - and start living as lowly as possible. According to this book, this is the only way to enter the spiritual path that leads to God and immortality - by dying to the outside world, which is full of sin, and embracing the inner world.

7.5 / 10

[emoji106]

Great review! Thanks! :)

So, here's my review:

7.5 / 10

[emoji106]

What you said about killing ourselves to find God.. I think this part of the Gospel talks about that,but in a more light/easy way than "killing." Like leaving or loosing ourselves:

Mt 16:24-26

4 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?"

Guest diogo_sg
What you said about killing ourselves to find God.. I think this part of the Gospel talks about that,but in a more light/easy way than "killing." Like leaving or loosing ourselves:

Mt 16:24-26

4 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?"

Yes, that's basically what Attar tells us to do, only in a little more violent way. But the general idea is the same in both texts, I guess - that in order to find God and live forever in His kingdom we must 'disappear' from this Earth.

Thank you for sharing [emoji4]