🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Canada, eh?!

Canadian_Aphrodite

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadian Manuel Osborne-Paradis finishes second in men's World Cup downhill race

By: THE CANADIAN PRESSManuel Osborne-Paradis of Canada reacts to taking second place in the men's World Cup downhill skiing competition at Wengen, Switzerland, on Saturday, Jan. 16, 2010. Switzerlands Carlo Janka was 0.66 seconds faster than Osborne-Paradis , and Marco Buechel of Liechtenstein was third. Janka's fourth victory of the season gave him the lead in the overall World Cup standings. (THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/Armando Trovati)CAPTION 1

16/01/2010 2:42 PM | Comments: 0

WENGEN, Switzerland - Going back to basics paid off huge for Canada's Manuel Osborne-Paradis.

After a dismal week of poor training runs, Osborne-Paradis' expectations were low heading into a men's World Cup downhill event. But after spending the morning going through a mental checklist, the native of North Vancouver, B.C., finished second in the event.

"It's been a tough week on me, it's been a tough week on the whole team," he said. "We just haven't been able to put any training runs together through the whole time.

"Today was one of those days I just took the extra time this morning and kind of sat by myself and tried to figure out what was going wrong. I just needed to keep my hands forward and move forward on the ski and stay on the balls of my feet. That's what I mostly focused on."

Carlo Janka of Switzerland won the race in two minutes 32.23 seconds over the classic 4.46-kilometre Lauberhorn course, the longest on the World Cup circuit. Osborne-Paradis finished 0.66 seconds behind, with Marco Buechel of Liechtenstein third.

Erik Guay of Mont-Tremblant, Que., was 18th, Tyler Nella of Toronto was 39th and Jan Hudec of Calgary was 40th.

Osborne-Paradis didn't see this result coming.

"I did have a lot of doubt here," he said. "I just kind of wanted this weekend to be over after (Friday).

"I thought I tried really hard in the combined and I couldn't even get top 30. I really didn't know what I had to do. I just watched video and it was just my skiing, it wasn't anything else . . . I just kind of sat back and figured out what I needed to do.

"I didn't start freaking out about it. If you have a bad weekend you have a bad weekend and you go to the next weekend. It's not really a big deal. It's just racing. You go as hard as you can and whatever result happens at the end of it, that's what happens."

Osborne-Paradis briefly held the lead after taking it from Buechel, who at age 38 was skiing his favourite Lauberhorn race for the last time in his farewell season.

"I didn't feel any better, I didn't feel any faster the whole way down," Osborne-Paradis said. "I think it was me hitting the same bumps but instead of being in a backseat position I was hitting them at a faster speed and in a better position.

"I really didn't know what to expect today. All I knew was that I was going to fast and obviously I believe in what my coaches tell me and my skiing . . . I just went for it. You can only think about what you need to do, you can't think about what happened in the past or what's going to happen, especially just before the race. I figured out what I needed to do and did it."

The result certainly bodes well for Osborne-Paradis heading into next month's Vancouver Winter Games. But he says his goals aren't based solely on wanting to win a medal on home soil.

"The team has goals for me and people have expectations of me," he said. "But my expectations are to ski a jump correctly or a turn correctly, have my shoulders and my elbows in.

"Those are all my little goals and if I can get them all down then obviously I will have a good result and then everybody else's goals will be met. But those aren't my goals, I don't think you can set your goals on results at all."

Janka's fourth victory of the season gave him the overall World Cup standings lead.

"Winning in Wengen is the dream of any Swiss skier," said Janka, who was competing in the Lauberhorn race for only the second time.

American Bode Miller was poised to take the lead from early pacesetter Buechel before he lost control and crashed. Miller was unhurt and said he hit a bump approaching a right-hand turn in the closing S-bend and his right hip hit the snow before he slid off course.

"I couldn't see great and went a little bit too direct," Miller said. "I just missed the timing of it."

Janka also won the Wengen super-combi last year and has six career World Cup victories, plus a world title in giant slalom.