✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Stop Hating on SOS and just Appreciate it!

IneedYou23

Has anybody but me watched the intro video on the Coldplayer? Chris blatantly says that this song is supposed to be a bridge between Rush of Blood and the new album. I wasn't expecting any that sounded too incredibly different, given what he had said. I think it serves it's purpose wonderfully. It's a great bridge and a great track.

^ yep. and totally agree. the world is waiting so eagerly for the new album and the hype the media has built up is so huge that it's gonna get reviews of every single kind ! from the outright scathing to highest praise.

Coldplay are gonna blow everyone away ;)

I think it all depends on what direction you where expecting coldplay to move in musically. If you expected more of the same then you are gonna be disapointed. if you expected a return to the parachutes era, again you will be disapointed.

Its clear that coldplay have the same quality control as some of the most successfull bands in history, they are always going to strive to make a bigger stronger album.

Expect a classic, I know I am.

I think they are going in more of the same direction as parachutes era with this song. And I do not think this album will be a classic.

i think to some coldplay fans it does sound like clocks but to others it doesnt...i dont think it does' date=' and whoever says its almost the same piano riff, i say, whoever can take the same piano riff from another song, and just change the song completely to make a mega song, is a genious[/quote']

Maybe I'm expecting too much from them... Or maybe I'm not supposed to take this song too seriously... But the reason I'm a bit disappointed with SOS is exactly because they 'ripped-off' that piano riff (& the drumming + synths) from Clocks :o

Yeah - technically, rehashing your own stuff isn't exactly ripping-off but I thought they could have done better... Change the piano riff to another line (instrument) perhaps, or reference parts of the riff so that it's less familiar - these are basic referencing techniques :rolleyes:. The worst bit is them filling up the spaces with the synths... that's sooo Clocks :( . The drumming fares a bit better coz there's some progression (song-wise) at least - it gets a bit part solo before the guitars kick in again :D

As I was saying, maybe they couldn't manage a more subtle style of referencing, which would quite disappoint me if it were true (coz I always like to think Coldplay are greater than that)... Or another possibility's that they are giving a very big nod (with a hood and a wink thrown in as well? :P ) to their 'former' selves... Come to think of it, maybe music-wise, SOS is trying to actually trace their own evolution from AROBTTH (at the beginning of the song) to X&Y (at the end) in a very overt manner? - As in "Hey look, I'm actually changing!" as the song progresses...

This would not only be unusual, it'd be the biggest stroke of genius any band have ever done - going about it so self-consciously! (Or am I giving my fav. band in the world too much credit?) But all in all, still don't like how much this sounds like Clocks / U2. Anyone care to comment on that??? :cool:

Phew, took awhile to get to the end...

The riff isn't close to Clocks.

Clocks: Eb, Bb, G, Eb, Bb, G, Eb, Bb, Db, Bb, F, Db, Bb, F, Db, Bb, Db, Bb, F, Db, Bb, F, Db, Bb, C, Ab, F, C, Ab, F, C, Ab

Speed of Sound: E, D, A, A, E, D, G, G, E, D, G, G, E, D, F#, F#

The drums are very similar, as is the subtle orchestration in the background. There isn't nearly enough piano in the chorus/verse to be similar to Clocks, and the bridge goes off on a totally different tangent.

Clocks: Eb, Bb, G, Eb, Bb, G, Eb, Bb, Db, Bb, F, Db, Bb, F, Db, Bb, Db, Bb, F, Db, Bb, F, Db, Bb, C, Ab, F, C, Ab, F, C, Ab

The drums are very similar, as is the subtle orchestration in the background. There isn't nearly enough piano in the chorus/verse to be similar to Clocks, and the bridge goes off on a totally different tangent.

Agreed, SOS and clocks arent that similar.

does anyone else here the crack in chris' voice on the word understand ("if you could see it then you'd understand") ... i dont know if its a crack in his voice or just the way its recorded... but i wanted to see if i was just imagining it

Yes, the KEY of SOS is different than that of Clocks, but the chord progression is ALMOST exactly the same. Just try singing the melody of clocks along with the intro/verse to SOS. It's the same. It is.

does anyone else here the crack in chris' voice on the word understand ("if you could see it then you'd understand") ... i dont know if its a crack in his voice or just the way its recorded... but i wanted to see if i was just imagining it

Yes, I heard it... A slight change in the quality of his voice- exactly what this song needs more of... :rolleyes:

I agree with this, and the title of the subject...

The word clone is wrong, the word similar as in the same is wrong, the word comparable is the only applicable!

Ohyea, its the same band :o

I dare to bet that if you like CP and you at least - like - the first single, the album will blow your mind! And its not a clone of AROBTTH!