✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Sufjan Stevens

Professor Peedston

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks TLo i will check it out but i think i'll have to wait till pay day! I 've been spending way to much money on CD's etc. Is the avlanche just b sides from the recording of illinois? Also TLo i saw you're from NYC so lucky! I've always wanted to go' date=' one day when I'm rich! :D[/quote']

hehe yeah im lucky to have been actually born in NYC so i dont kno any "cheaper" way of life.. so when i travel to places its like "WHOA what do u mean water doesnt cost $2.50 a bottle?!" ok i exaggerated a bit.. but u get the idea :laugh3:

Illinois was supposed to have been a double album.. but half the songs got thrown away.. but then sufjan decided that some of the songs were actually worth keeping so... ta da! the avalanche!

i'm off to see him in manchester in november, cannot wait, he is so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seven swans is his best in my opinion, but illinoise is also superb.

i doubt he will complete his album for each state task though, especially if he carries on doing side projects/albums not dedicated to the state project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think i single handedly make up at least 1/3 of the posts in this thread.. lol

a pic from last nights benefit concert! and by "a pic" i mean the only one i took that came out somewhat decent haha

[also on the bill were jon stewart & david byrne (talking heads!)]

sufi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

a "new" sufjan release!!!! according to amazon its to be released on 11/21/06 [my birthday!!!!!]

http://www.asthmatickitty.com/music.php?releaseID=63

• Five individually packaged CD EPs!

• Five Christmas stickers!

• Extensive liner notes and short stories by Sufjan Stevens!

• An original Christmas essay by Rick Moody!

• An animated music video and comic strip by Tom Eaton!

• A Christmas Songbook with lyric sheets and chord charts--so you can sing along too!

• An original Christmas Family Portrait painting of Santa Sufjan (with wife and kids!) by Jacques Bredy!

AANNNDDD a sample mp3

http://www.asthmatickitty.com/mp3/sufjan_stevens_-_Peace_-_Sister_Winter.mp3

Sufjan Stevens to release Christmas album

Packed full of seasonal treats

Sufjan Stevens is set to release 'Songs For Christmas' a special edition Christmas themed box set on November 12.

The package will include five individually packaged CD EPs recorded between 2001 and 2006. Extras included in the package include stickers, essays, extensive artwork, lyric sheets and chord charts.

The tracklisting for 'Songs For Christmas' is:

Noel: Songs for Christmas, Vol. I (recorded December 2001)

'Silent Night'

'O Come O Come Emmanuel'

'We're Goin' To the Country!'

'Lo How A Rose E'er Blooming'

'It's Christmas! Let's Be Glad!'

'Holy Holy, etc.'

'Amazing Grace'

Hark!: Songs for Christmas, Vol. II (recorded December 2002)

'Angels We Have Heard on High'

'Put the Lights on the Tree'

'Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

'I Saw Three Ships'

'Only at Christmas Time'

'Once in Royal David's City'

'Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!'

'What Child Is This Anyway?'

'Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isabella'

Ding! Dong!: Songs for Christmas, Vol. III (recorded December 2003)

'O Come, O Come Emmanuel'

'Come on! Let's Boogey to the Elf Dance!'

'We Three Kings'

'O Holy Night'

'That Was the Worst Christmas Ever!'

'Ding! Dong!'

'All the King's Horns'

'The Friendly Beasts'

Joy: Songs for Christmas, Vol. IV (recorded December 2005)

'The Little Drummer Boy'

'Away In A Manger'

'Hey Guys! It's Christmas Time!'

'The First Noel'

'Did I Make You Cry On Christmas Day? (Well, You Deserved It!)'

'The Incarnation'

'Joy To The World'

Peace: Songs for Christmas, Vol. V (recorded June 2006)

'Once in Royal David's City'

'Get Behind Me, Santa!'

'Jingle Bells'

'Christmas in July'

'Lo! How A Rose E'er Blooming'

'Jupiter Winter'

'Sister Winter'

'O Come O Come Emmanuel'

'Star of Wonder'

'Holy, Holy, Holy'

'The Winter Solstice'

http://www.nme.com/news/sufjan-stevens/24205

actually i like enjoy your rabbit. it took me a while to get into but ther are some songs that i really enjoy. of course there are still some that im like.. ok skip.. and it physically hurts me to skip a sufjan song lol

• 2 weeks later...

Review: Sufjan Stevens' gorgeous wonder

story.sufjan.jpg

POSTED: 3:52 p.m. EDT, September 22, 2006

By Todd Leopold

CNN

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Sufjan Stevens has been described as childlike, and the opening of his concert Wednesday night at Atlanta's Fox Theater fit that depiction to a T.

The stage of the Fox, a 1927 model of movie palace luxury, was decorated as if for an elementary school pageant. Silver tinsel streamed from the rafters on either side of a movie screen, and the instrumentation on display included a toy piano, bells and triangle.

And then there were the musicians, including a small string and horn section, who entered wearing butterfly wings. All except for Stevens, who wore the wings of a large bird.

But then he sat down to play, and childlike gave way to wondrous and magical.

He sang about his hometown, Detroit. He sang about ivory-billed woodpeckers. He sang about John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer. He plucked a hollow-backed banjo and shook the bells and let the rich textures of the strings and horns wash over his wispy voice, creating a sound that evoked impish games, lonely prayer, 19th-century porch swings and the quietude of a land before it was rent by the roar of machines. At times it even sounded like a spirit observing from above, the ghosts of settlers remembering.

It sounds, somehow, like America.

That's appropriate, given Stevens' "Fifty States Project," his puckish plan to write an album for each of the 50 U.S. states. So far he's done "Michigan" (2003) and "Illinois" (2005), which -- given the rate of release -- means he should be finishing around 2100, when he'll be 125 years old.

But for an audience listening in 2006 -- and the Fox, the largest hall Stevens has ever played, appeared almost filled to its 4,600-seat capacity -- he had plenty to offer. Stevens plays most of the instruments on his albums, but live he let the sound spread out around him, even indulging in some piano-banging cacophony as the strings placidly bowed behind him.

There was a bit of unexpected cacophony early in the show when a faulty microphone connection squawked in defiance, but the performers quickly regained their equilibrium.

Near the end of the show, Stevens launched into "Chicago," perhaps the punchiest song in his catalog. As he sang the double-edged refrain, "All things go/All things go," the audience sang along.

"I made a lot of mistakes," goes another lyric from the song. On this night, not even close.