✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Vegetarian's Conscience

Reilly

We've celebrated being vegetarian on here before, but we have yet to debate the point of it.

Sometimes I think, its nature to kill, if killing and eating didnt exist, we'd all be non-existant. In the same way a lion tracks up to a zebra and rips the shit out of it until its dead, a farmer botches a cows head off with an axe (Which is slightly less brutal, it probably takes 5 or 6 good swings but it ends much quicker).

And then I think, yeah, pain IS inevitable, should I feel compassion for an animal who doesnt think, doesnt contribute anything (Except a nice steak burger) and doesnt have a soul or an afterlife. Consciously, to me, caring about animals is pointless.

But then I see video footage of 40 chickens being stuffed in a cage the size of a glove box, and I own an animal and I think of how cruel it would be to kill it like that (Not that many would eat dog but still).

Does it make sense to care? I wrestle with this in my mind all day long.

The only reason you can want to be vegetarian is not so an animal feels better, its so you can feel better about yourself. Animals are going to die anyway, they dont think much, most of them feel pain and suffering, but I dont know if I should care.

It just plays, back and forth in my head, when I think about it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it bother you when your chowing down on a chicken wing, that it was made by a living breathing, thinking animal that was stuffed in a cage and then ripped apart and then finally killed by being boiled to death?

Dunn't bother me, sometimes it does.

Does it bother you when your chowing down on a chicken wing, that it was made by a living breathing, thinking animal that was stuffed in a cage and then ripped apart and then finally killed by being boiled to death?

Doesnt bother me, unless i think about it in detail, then i wanna throw up. but its natural. we were made to eat meat.

If I didn't have any meat near me I think I would die :)

same for me. i get really mad when i go a day without some kind of meat. i eat meat for almost every meal, even breakfast if i can.

That's really difficult to imagine for me. I've gone without meat for about 1 and 3/4 year now, and I really don't miss it. Eventually, when you become a vegetarian or a vegan, you will lose the need and taste for meat. The idea of eating meat kind of disgusts me now.

Note: Im going to totally over-contradict myself all the time in this thread, so nobody point that out or you'll look like an idiot. Im not pro-meat eater or vegetarian, I wrestle with the thought all the time, and Im going to switch roles to reply to whatever has been written.

Doesnt bother me, unless i think about it in detail, then i wanna throw up. but its natural. we were made to eat meat.

Its natural? Its not the same as the aforementioned lion killing zebra in the wild. A chicken gets stuffed in a cage as soon as its old enough, to be born. It grows in the cage, gets injected with growth hormones (Which also make it go mentally insane) and as all the other baby chicks (awww) grow bigger and bigger it gets claustrophobic (One of the many mental diseases it suffers) and lives out the rest of its pathetic days crapping out eggs (And the dairy producers discover that the more scared and nervous chickens are, the more they lay! so god knows what happens) until it can be boiled to death.

At least a zebra gets to run around with family and shit.

It IS natural in theory, if you ran to your local farm and ripped apart the chicken and ate him. But in practice, its all factory work, and very very, un-natural.

So what if we were made to eat meat. We were also made to walk around nude and carry as many children as possible and live up to the age of thirty and to be straight. It's not like we're still doing all that. A human being doesn't need meat anymore to survive. We in the Western spoiled rich world can easily go without meat. There's so many other things, meat replacers, or just a well-balanced diet, that we don't need it anymore.

i disagree. this is hard for me to explain but because of our brains its natural for us to do that. animals like the lion have natural strength and speed ot hunt and survive, we the human have our minds to hunt and survive. so we use our natural minds to capture and kill food and make it bigger and tastier. that may not make sense but thats how i see it.

it would be natural for a tiger to go out and catch a chicken and tear it to shreds and eat it. but humans we breed the animals and use weapons and tools we make to kill them.

So what if we were made to eat meat. We were also made to walk around nude and carry as many children as possible and live up to the age of thirty and to be straight. It's not like we're still doing all that. A human being doesn't need meat anymore to survive. We in the Western spoiled rich world can easily go without meat. There's so many other things' date=' meat replacers, or just a well-balanced diet, that we don't need it anymore.[/quote']

but its not immoral to eat meat. theres nothing wrong with it. but true we can go without meat in the west easily and survive just as well.

There are IMO two kinds of animal, those that I stroke or sit on my lap and those that are not.

The latter I eat

So what if we were made to eat meat. We were also made to walk around nude and carry as many children as possible and live up to the age of thirty and to be straight. It's not like we're still doing all that. A human being doesn't need meat anymore to survive. We in the Western spoiled rich world can easily go without meat. There's so many other things' date=' meat replacers, or just a well-balanced diet, that we don't need it anymore.[/quote']

The world CAN go without meat, but why should it? Obviously people prefer the taste of spicy BBQ wings over Tofu or something.

The theory that technically we can go without meat, with will power and in our minds we should be strong enough to eat only vegetables yadda yadda. Its the same thing as how technically we should be strong enough to not give a damn how we get food, or what gets killed doing so, as long as we look after ourselves its all that matters.

Im saying that if you have the will power to ignore what the taste of food is like and just eat like a robot, how can you be compassionate for what you're even eating?

And no, vegetable food ISNT nice, all the time. Veggie lasagnes can only do for so long, meat just tastes sooooo much better.

i disagree. this is hard for me to explain but because of our brains its natural for us to do that. animals like the lion have natural strength and speed ot hunt and survive, we the human have our minds to hunt and survive. so we use our natural minds to capture and kill food and make it bigger and tastier. that may not make sense but thats how i see it.

it would be natural for a tiger to go out and catch a chicken and tear it to shreds and eat it. but humans we breed the animals and use weapons and tools we make to kill them.

Firstly, grow some balls. Anytime I read an opinion of yours its "Well this is how I see it... I dont know if Im even RIGHT or WRONG thats just how I see it..."

Now what you are doing here is redefining the whole meaning of what is natural. Its like saying its natural for plastic to clog up rivers, because human's manufactured it to make things better, naturally it was on their conscience, and then other humans naturally were lazy and threw it in the river.

And does that bother you at all? You don't see a living pig in front of you when you eat your hamburger? Or how it's lived?

How its lived? It walked around a muddy pig pen for years, pissed and shit places, ate some grass, didnt do much thinking.

Its not like we're eating idols and sports legends.

sorry i couldnt reply with something intelligent to your thread reilly

I still wuv you :wacko:

I'm not saying that. Just say that if you give it some thoughts' date=' you might.[/quote']

If I were being truthful (and I am) the last thing I see when I eat (for example) a bacon buttie is a pig. It's almost as if the fact that the bacon came from such an animal is irrelevant. I don't really think at all about vegetarianism but what I do think about is leaving the supermarket with as much meat as possible that will fit in my freezer :)

The world CAN go without meat, but why should it? Obviously people prefer the taste of spicy BBQ wings over Tofu or something.

The theory that technically we can go without meat, with will power and in our minds we should be strong enough to eat only vegetables yadda yadda. Its the same thing as how technically we should be strong enough to not give a damn how we get food, or what gets killed doing so, as long as we look after ourselves its all that matters.

Im saying that if you have the will power to ignore what the taste of food is like and just eat like a robot, how can you be compassionate for what you're even eating?

And no, vegetable food ISNT nice, all the time. Veggie lasagnes can only do for so long, meat just tastes sooooo much better.

No, meat doesn't nessecarily taste better, that's just your opinion. And I simply don't miss it. Honestly. And it's not like I'm "eating like a robot" or something, I do have taste buds, but I just don't miss meat. I like my food as it is: meatless.