✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Show us your art!

SeeCup41

Actually, this is art of my son Siebe; he is 8 years old and a very BIG fan of Coldplay! It is a quick piece of art at a small chalk-board and allthough it is from my son, I still think this belong in this section :)

He drew this the morning after his first concert ever:

Coldplay at Malieveld at The Hague (september 6th 2012)

It think it is wonderfull, and I have put it as my avatar because I am proud; it is so lovely to see his memory of that great happening.

Did anyone see Chris in this way ever before??

and btw: I LOVE his walking man!

SiebeCPkleur_zps47215ae1.jpg

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Wow, kid's got talent! I love it when kids draw though, and he did an awesome job with the walking man :) I hate shifting the topic, but I have a couple new doodles and such (I've finished a charcoal self-portrait and such, but I still have to photograph it properly):

thor___i_has_a_hammer_by_j_m_p_16-d5h3taz.jpg

baby_berryman___superhero__colored__by_j_m_p_16-d5hvwa3.jpg

chris__s_march_by_j_m_p_16-d5adi7l.gif

(this was my first gif/animation thing, I don't have a proper program and when I tried to fix it, it came out weird. So I apologize for the kinda-crappy 2 frames of Chris marching, but I tried.)

• 2 weeks later...

^ Thank you :shy:

Mollyxyloto uhm well... you have to be focused on face xD haha no... I don't know. I don't have any tips partly because I'm not quite sure how am I even doing it, you know...

And faces are the only thing I can actually draw, other than this (like animals, landscapes etc.) just doesn't work... :D

Because you don't do enough!

Look at this artist:

He started like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=267689&stc=1&d=1198888109

attachment.php?attachmentid=267687&stc=1&d=1198888062

And now draws like this:

gray_ocean_by_algenpfleger-d3hhhfw.jpg

dear_blue_by_algenpfleger-d36xcwz.jpg

crossing_by_algenpfleger-d3j4wfq.jpg

It took him only 2 years to achieve such skills

source

They're amazing!

Even the top ones are better than mine! I try so hard but the I can't get eyes noses and mouths right, I can get noses from side but nothing else.

*sobs in corner*

Then buy anatomy books, Gottfried Bammes for example. You can even download it somewhere as a pdf for free *cough* It's German, but you need to look at the images anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Here some examples:

kopf14.jpg

bammes11.jpg

kopf09.jpg

kopf26.jpg

with guidelines and shit. This will help you a lot.

Yes, start drawing faces. Hundreds of them. Use photographs or live models as references.

Sit in front of a mirror and draw your own face.

:nod: I can only agree with that. You need to develop a feel and eye for it.

The only way to improve is to draw again and again. Even if you think it looks like crap. If you think it looks like crap, work further it may get better. If it doesn't, start again or start a new one.

Most of the time when I'm drawing I always reach a point where I think it looks horrible. If I had given up every time I probably wouldn't have finished anything.

It's like learning to play the guitar. Don't expect to be able to play the most awesome guitar solo in history right away. You learn chords and go from there.

The best advice someone gave me was: "Draw what you see." You don't see a nose, you see a shape. Stop trying to draw a nose as a whole. It isn't a nose, it's a shape, made of tiny other shapes who all relate to each other.

If it helps and you are drawing from a photo for example, turn it 180° and draw upside down.

If you don't have a pencil, you can still draw in your mind, i.e. look at things. What do they look like, what does the light do...

I hope that makes sense :uhoh:

tldr; draw draw draw

Molly, your drawing looks quite nice already. Like Thalia said, try adding in some shadows :smiley:

:nod: I can only agree with that. You need to develop a feel and eye for it.

The only way to improve is to draw again and again. Even if you think it looks like crap. If you think it looks like crap, work further it may get better. If it doesn't, start again or start a new one.

Most of the time when I'm drawing I always reach a point where I think it looks horrible. If I had given up every time I probably wouldn't have finished anything.

It's like learning to play the guitar. Don't expect to be able to play the most awesome guitar solo in history right away. You learn chords and go from there.

The best advice someone gave me was: "Draw what you see." You don't see a nose, you see a shape. Stop trying to draw a nose as a whole. It isn't a nose, it's a shape, made of tiny other shapes who all relate to each other.

If it helps and you are drawing from a photo for example, turn it 180° and draw upside down.

If you don't have a pencil, you can still draw in your mind, i.e. look at things. What do they look like, what does the light do...

I hope that makes sense :uhoh:

tldr; draw draw draw

Molly, your drawing looks quite nice already. Like Thalia said, try adding in some shadows :smiley:

That's very helpful thanks :hug:, you too Thalia!

^ everything you said :nod:

Ha! My favourite is: "Draw what you see, not what you think you see." :lol:

Yes! Your eyes trick you into all sorts of things! :lol:

I still have to repeat that sentence to myself quite often.

I'm late, but if I may add in on the whole drawing faces thing? If you know me (I understand if you don't, that's cool, I know lots don't know me) I cartoon A LOT. I tried drawing faces two years ago for an art project and the ones I drew came out like SHIT! I looked through my mom's anatomy books, my old how-to-draw books, even my brother's "How to Draw Marvel Characters" book. I learned better with stuff that appealed to me, so I don't know if this would be too great of a suggestion, but start off with how to draw semi-realistic comic book characters. I mean, sure, comics aren't proper anatomy, they add in muscles to make the Hulk look like . . . well, the Hulk, but it was a good place to start. For example, I did these yesterday:

tumblr_mcx08yY2Dt1qm4foso1_500.jpg

This is Axe Cop, a comic written by a six-year-old boy and drawn by his 30 year-old brother. I recommend it. The book you see is a mini-free copy I got from the comic shop in town, but it's got me really interested and also serves as good practice.

Now, real sketch:

tumblr_mcx08947yr1qm4foso1_500.jpg

Someone we all know and love (I think), so . . . this is a hell of lot better than the tenth grade me, but there's always room for improvement. I didn't try to make him look depressed, it just kinda came out that way, but I mean, it's improvement.

I'm sorry that's so long and drawn out, no pun intended, but that's I how I learn how to draw faces realistically. I'm still working on it, but I practice every chance I get, so there's that. However, Thalia's right, anatomy books are your best friend, they're so helpful.

I'm late, but if I may add in on the whole drawing faces thing? If you know me (I understand if you don't, that's cool, I know lots don't know me) I cartoon A LOT. I tried drawing faces two years ago for an art project and the ones I drew came out like SHIT! I looked through my mom's anatomy books, my old how-to-draw books, even my brother's "How to Draw Marvel Characters" book. I learned better with stuff that appealed to me, so I don't know if this would be too great of a suggestion, but start off with how to draw semi-realistic comic book characters. I mean, sure, comics aren't proper anatomy, they add in muscles to make the Hulk look like . . . well, the Hulk, but it was a good place to start. For example, I did these yesterday:

tumblr_mcx08yY2Dt1qm4foso1_500.jpg

This is Axe Cop, a comic written by a six-year-old boy and drawn by his 30 year-old brother. I recommend it. The book you see is a mini-free copy I got from the comic shop in town, but it's got me really interested and also serves as good practice.

Now, real sketch:

tumblr_mcx08947yr1qm4foso1_500.jpg

Someone we all know and love (I think), so . . . this is a hell of lot better than the tenth grade me, but there's always room for improvement. I didn't try to make him look depressed, it just kinda came out that way, but I mean, it's improvement.

I'm sorry that's so long and drawn out, no pun intended, but that's I how I learn how to draw faces realistically. I'm still working on it, but I practice every chance I get, so there's that. However, Thalia's right, anatomy books are your best friend, they're so helpful.

Thankyou very much, I do cartoons a lot and prefer cartoons but I'd like to be able to draw real people, ill have a go at drawing the hulk and iron man haha

I've been trying for a long time and have never had any luck :/

Thanks