✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hurricane Katrina

Manders

^I religiously watch the Daily Show and was really nervous about how they were going to handle the Hurricane situation after their week off.

All I can say is, when I saw it tuesday, I goddamn love that man and everyone involved in that show. I release my frustrations with the government and everything through Jon :lol:

Did you see the segment called "Meet The F**kers"? Genius :lol: :lol:

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were discussing this (the polls, mostly) in my American History class, which has really become more of a Current American Politics And How Fucked Up This Country's Become Discussion Hour. :lol: Great class. But anyways. We were talking about this and my history teacher said something I, personally, share the opinion of. She was saying how she truly doesn't believe that RACISM was a factor. It wasn't that the federal govt or state govt or anyone saw them and said "They're black, let 'em float". The real problem is that the overwelming majority of people living in proverty ARE BLACK. Especially in New Orleans, as we've come to see.

I don't think I'm realy articulating myself well on this. Our country's dirty little secrets finally come out for us all to see way too clearly in full color (no pun intended, there. Ok. Maybe a little one). I really, REALLY hope that it's not skin color that has determined how these people have been treated not just during and after Katrina, but years upon years before. I'm trying with all my heart to believe this. It's not because I'm white and want to downplay the issue of skincolor that is apparently all too existant in this country still. I just don't want to accept that. It's horrifying to me...

It's not race, but class. But the real question here should be: What's the distinction between the two? That's what this country needs to ask itself as New Orleans begins to rebuild.

I hope that made sense... I find it hard to articulate myself clearly and cleanly (without swearing every 3 letters) when talking about things I care about so much.

It's not race, but class. But the real question here should be: What's the distinction between the two? That's what this country needs to ask itself as New Orleans begins to rebuild.

you might be right---i mean who really knows----but the fact is that the damaged place was distinctively majority african americans---and us being the freaken USA---we let them wait there with no food, no water, no shelter for 120 hours

i do agree that probably the issue was class but like you said----what % of white americans are poverty line people????

i also, dont see any poverty awareness coming up anytime soon although bush did address it-----and why i say this-----because this is a capitalist country----capitalism means that anyone---no matter what---can become the next USA president if you work hard---and that is pure BULLSHIT----

there wont be a poverty, or class awareness because capitalism means that everyone is on their own---if u dont work ur ass, like nick said, you are going to be poor---no one is going to come and help you