✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hurricane Katrina

Manders

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but who KNOWS how many people have died as a result of our own imcompetence to just go in and take charge. It's one thing to be a young girl fearful of being raped at night by roaming thugs in New Orleans. It's another to be a trained marine or National Guardsman and too scared to go into certain areas because of these gangs. They are trained to deal with guerilla war-like situations (which frankly, I think in some areas this is). These animals wont let people out of hospitals because they want the ambulances. If I were a member of the military and was flying a chopper, trying to get those people off the roof, and some prats were shooting at my helicopter, I'd fucking turn my MACHINE GUN on them and mow them down. Fuck those people. They're not worth a life anyways. (and I'm a pacifist!!) But seriously, turning AWAY from those in need because of that? I don't think so. It's not right.

I'm disgusted with this country. More so than I've ever been. I don't care, I'm saying it. It was this article that implanted my absolutely HATE for how we handled this so strongly:

The strain was apparent in other ways. Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish, dropped his head and cried on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home, and every day she called him and said, `Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?' And he said, `And yeah, Momma, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday' — and she drowned Friday night. She drowned on Friday night," Broussard said.

"Nobody's coming to get her, nobody's coming to get her. The secretary's promise, everybody's promise. They've had press conferences — I'm sick of the press conferences. For God's sakes, shut up and send us somebody."

The full article:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050905/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina

I dare anyone to defend that. People are stuck in their houses!!!! Some people can't MAKE it to their rooftops to get saved! Some can't make it to the streets to wander around in the shit, dead bodies, and gasoline to get rescued! THERE ARE PEOPLE STILL TRAPPED IN THEIR HOUSES!!!! Get fucking BOATS or something! A friggin' raft, I don't care.

This is dumb. This is worse than a third world country, honest to god.... *so fucking mad*

I feel better now! Phew! :rolleyes: :lol:

It's old, but your president is unbelievable... He knew, yet he did not cut short his holiday to organise/review preparations for any potentially-needed rescue operations to cope with a huge national disaster that could strike the country??? Forget the fact that he's the president, does he even have a heart?!!

Fuck, anybody with half a brain, some knowledge of history (i.e. how federal organisations tend to be notoriously underprepared to deal with mass disasters), and who cared even just a little about a fellow human being's welfare would definitely have taken more action than Bush did if he/she were in Bushy's shoes! It's disgraceful. And I'm speaking from the point of view of another human being, not on his ability/responsibility as prez... He should be ashamed, even third-world countries respond better :embarrased: .

d

Yes, but who KNOWS how many people have died as a result of our own imcompetence to just go in and take charge. It's one thing to be a young girl fearful of being raped at night by roaming thugs in New Orleans. It's another to be a trained marine or National Guardsman and too scared to go into certain areas because of these gangs. They are trained to deal with guerilla war-like situations (which frankly, I think in some areas this is). These animals wont let people out of hospitals because they want the ambulances. If I were a member of the military and was flying a chopper, trying to get those people off the roof, and some prats were shooting at my helicopter, I'd fucking turn my MACHINE GUN on them and mow them down. Fuck those people. They're not worth a life anyways. (and I'm a pacifist!!) But seriously, turning AWAY from those in need because of that? I don't think so. It's not right.

I'm disgusted with this country. More so than I've ever been. I don't care, I'm saying it. It was this article that implanted my absolutely HATE for how we handled this so strongly:

The strain was apparent in other ways. Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish, dropped his head and cried on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home, and every day she called him and said, `Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?' And he said, `And yeah, Momma, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday' — and she drowned Friday night. She drowned on Friday night," Broussard said.

"Nobody's coming to get her, nobody's coming to get her. The secretary's promise, everybody's promise. They've had press conferences — I'm sick of the press conferences. For God's sakes, shut up and send us somebody."

The full article:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050905/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina

I dare anyone to defend that. People are stuck in their houses!!!! Some people can't MAKE it to their rooftops to get saved! Some can't make it to the streets to wander around in the shit, dead bodies, and gasoline to get rescued! THERE ARE PEOPLE STILL TRAPPED IN THEIR HOUSES!!!! Get fucking BOATS or something! A friggin' raft, I don't care.

This is dumb. This is worse than a third world country, honest to god.... *so fucking mad*

I feel better now! Phew! :rolleyes: :lol:

an_cat---i swear to god i started crying when i read ur post----i feel the same way and i been feeling this all along-------we are fucken united states of america and i still dont understand how we---the most powerful country in the world are not capable of dealing with this disaster------

its been a feaken week and there are still thousands of people out there with no food, no water, no sanitation, with bodies floating all around them, with almost no hope---------i just hope people are strong enough to survive until they are rescued----Please God i beg you to give them strength and hope

can we impeach the fucker for not dealing with this travesty in a timely manner?? Because what it all comes down to is federal responsibity and response. I saw on the news yesterday an article published in 2002 practically predicting all that is happening here.. they knew the levees would break.. they knew many people would stay.. they knew this evacuation process would be anarchy.. they (local govt) requested more money.. to improve the levees.. and got nada..zero, zilch... so...... again I ask.. how is this NOT the presidents fault..??

It's old, but your president is unbelievable... He knew, yet he did not cut short his holiday to organise/review preparations for any potentially-needed rescue operations to cope with a huge national disaster that could strike the country??? Forget the fact that he's the president, does he even have a heart?!!

Fuck, anybody with half a brain, some knowledge of history (i.e. how federal organisations tend to be notoriously underprepared to deal with mass disasters), and who cared even just a little about a fellow human being's welfare would definitely have taken more action than Bush did if he/she were in Bushy's shoes! It's disgraceful. And I'm speaking from the point of view of another human being, not on his ability/responsibility as prez... He should be ashamed, even third-world countries respond better :embarrased: .

its was mostly the fault of locan and state goverment..they are the ones sapposed to deal with the stuff at first..they screwed up and bush didnt act fast enough because they werent sapposed to do that...he messed up aswell but only because the ignorance of gulf coast goverments. they are more to blame then teh federal goverment.

if anyone to get mad at their is the state govoners and local goverments for royally screwing up and causing this to happen...they were ignorant and under prepared...

you see in florida our state gov and other local gov know how to deal with hurricanes so their not that bad...thats the main difference plus teh size and where the storm hit...

it wasnt bush's job to step in until it go to big for the local and state gov....sorry this one you cant mainly blame bush on no matter how much you hate him.

IT ANNOYS ME HOW PEOPLE BLAME BUSH FOR THE MESS-UP OF LOCAL AND STATE GOVERMENTS. its a shame...they mess up and he gets the blame.

can we impeach the fucker for not dealing with this travesty in a timely manner?? Because what it all comes down to is federal responsibity and response. I saw on the news yesterday an article published in 2002 practically predicting all that is happening here.. they knew the levees would break.. they knew many people would stay.. they knew this evacuation process would be anarchy.. they (local govt) requested more money.. to improve the levees.. and got nada..zero' date=' zilch... so...... again I ask.. how is this NOT the presidents fault..??[/quote']

no but we need to impeach the local and state goverment for screwing up and stop blaming bush for the messing up of them....impeach the govoner of those states for being ignorant.

just because they requested money for that doesnt mean bush ok'd or dealt with it..unless their is proof for a fact that bush denied them the funding knowingly then dont jump the gun based on your hatred of him...i doubt bush even had control of the funding for that..not to mention he's been bus fighting wars on terror and dealing with homeland security.

but if he did know about that and or denied it, then i will want him impeached!

not to mention he's been bus fighting wars on terror and dealing with homeland security.

SO, protecting citizens from natural disasters isn't much of a priority for Bush?

Regardless, Bush himself can't deal with this by himself. That's why he hires and selects people to handle these issues--in the case of natural disaster, that's the people of FEMA. So, what does he do?

- appoints a man with no prior experience in disaster management to head FEMA

- changes the focus of FEMA from managing natural disasters to fighting acts of terrorism

- in September 2004, FEMA denied Louisiana's pre-disaster mitigation funding requests. Says Jefferson Parish flood zone manager Tom Rodrigue: "You would think we would get maximum consideration....This is what the grant program called for. We were more than qualified for it." Despite the fact that this disaster was predicted several years ago.

- the budget for constructing and repairs on the levees have been slashed

d

can we impeach the fucker for not dealing with this travesty in a timely manner?? Because what it all comes down to is federal responsibity and response. I saw on the news yesterday an article published in 2002 practically predicting all that is happening here.. they knew the levees would break.. they knew many people would stay.. they knew this evacuation process would be anarchy.. they (local govt) requested more money.. to improve the levees.. and got nada..zero' date=' zilch... so...... again I ask.. how is this NOT the presidents fault..??[/quote']

no but we need to impeach the local and state goverment for screwing up and stop blaming bush for the messing up of them....impeach the govoner of those states for being ignorant.

just because they requested money for that doesnt mean bush ok'd or dealt with it..unless their is proof for a fact that bush denied them the funding knowingly then dont jump the gun based on your hatred of him...i doubt bush even had control of the funding for that..not to mention he's been bus fighting wars on terror and dealing with homeland security.

but if he did know about that and or denied it, then i will want him impeached!

Nick--if u love bush that much why dont u marry him?----just kidding :P

i just think u defend him too much---even when we present so much data and good points----i dont understand your love towards this man----when all i see is screw ups from him and his administration

not to mention he's been bus fighting wars on terror and dealing with homeland security.

SO, protecting citizens from natural disasters isn't much of a priority for Bush?

Regardless, Bush himself can't deal with this by himself. That's why he hires and selects people to handle these issues--in the case of natural disaster, that's the people of FEMA. So, what does he do?

- changes the focus of FEMA from managing natural disasters to fighting acts of terrorism

- in September 2004, FEMA denied Louisiana's pre-disaster mitigation funding requests. Says Jefferson Parish flood zone manager Tom Rodrigue: "You would think we would get maximum consideration....This is what the grant program called for. We were more than qualified for it." Despite the fact that this disaster was predicted several years ago.

its is..but the hurricane protection was the job of local and state gov. you seem not to understand how this is sapposed to work. its the local and state gov to deal with it until or if it gets too big, then the federal goverment steps in. thats how it worked with the 5 hurricanes that hit my state last year...thats how it goes....the state and local goverments screwed up....bush didnt...but of course the haters blame him for it when it wasnt his fault...its sad but thats how the world works these days.

its is..but the hurricane protection was the job of local and state gov. you seem not to understand how this is sapposed to work. its the local and state gov to deal with it until or if it gets too big, then the federal goverment steps in. thats how it worked with the 5 hurricanes that hit my state last year...thats how it goes....the state and local goverments screwed up....bush didnt...but of course the haters blame him for it when it wasnt his fault...its sad but thats how the world works these days.

FL doesn't count.. lol you guv'na is a BUSH!!! lol

and he knew what to do when it happened...the state and local goverments were ALL prepared and dealt with it really well....thats my point about this all....

and he knew what to do when it happened...the state and local goverments were ALL prepared and dealt with it really well....thats my point about this all....

so you are blaming state and local govt for this??? They have been asking congress for the $$ to update their disaster relief efforts and money to repair and expand the levees for years!!! INCLUDING the days of Bush SR and Clinton... and what happened?? They got shut down.... how and why would anyone do this to a city KNOWING that this was inevitable.. (speaking of the floods) no one could have predicted the actual hurricane.. but come on!! The city is 20 ft below sea level!!

I havent really concentrated on any replies (Any political ones at least) but I'm going to write my general and vague view on what's gone on here. I wont be drawing any conclusions of my own because it seems a bit silly to at this stage. Remember, people wrote off President Bush for dealing poorly with September 11th and those same people are now defending his Homeland security ideals and believe strongly in what he's done.

But onto the Katrina crisis.

I dont think Congress passing the rather late emergency $10.5 Billion spending bill will help silence the critics. This was predicted about six years ago and widely circulated in every scientific magazine in the country. I know this Administration and many people on this board hate science and everything, but you are wrong if you think we were in the dark about what was going to happen. We knew New Orleans was going to have serious problems and we knew hurricane Katrina was going to kill a lot of people. FEMA and Bush are not bad people. However, they did a miserable job and it's just a point blank fact.

But is it just Bush's fault? It goes back even farther than just Bush's run. The federal gov. stopped providing money to N.O. to fix these problems a while back. They only had levis that were built for a level 3 storm. When this one hit it was maybe 5 when it blew through. This was bound to happen.

The levi thing is pretty nuts to me. I just think it's crazy that people have predicted this could happen, 30 years ago or more, it had been recognised to the local and federal gov. about the current levi system they had, but yet the government doesn't do anything about it, and now this disaster happens. It just goes to show you another example, that even though they are the most powerful nation, they have every resource one could need and we still clearly aren't safe.

To sum up the levi crisis: Over 30 years to acknowledge that New Orleans could not deal with a Level 4 or 5 hurricane. Then, 6-8 years of prediction that a gigantic hurricane will hit New Orleans in 2005. This could have been dealt with, within a budget of a quarter of a billion dollars, and now we are looking at thousands dead, over 10 billion in aid spent (As well as the donations which is screwing up the economy, on top of the hurricane crisis itself which is leaving oil to just about stabilise the world's economy, its been a true disaster).

Bush and FEMA could've done a much better job evacuating people BEFORE Katrina even hit. We knew this was going to be a devastating hurricane. We didn't have to wait several days after the fact to understand what Katrina was. That's fucking bullshit if I ever heard it.

But, when developments were going on, they started 36 hrous before hand when they realized the Hurricane has changed paths and was heading somewhere else. It was thought to be staying in Florida. Even when they realized it's real path, it changed slightly again! Which is really, nuts. If you know about that sort of thing, its either crazily unlucky or a bit suspicious (As in, bullshit excuse). Apparently, there was nothing more they could have done and when they finally knew where it was headed they announced a mandatory evacuation. I dont know whether this is true or not, but thats apparently how it went down.

If it was true though, what exactly else were they suppose to do? It is not like the damn thing was on a track and was going to head for wherever and they were 100%. There is no way they could have predicted exactly where it was going to go after it hit land the first time. I dunno though, seems pretty suspicious to me.

It appears they knew the hurricane would hit over a week before it did. Of course there were periods where they felt it might not hit but if you were watching the news at all during those two weeks, as well the last few days, you would've known that it was going to hit New Orleans. If I can know by watching TV then so can Bush. Was there any preparation? None, at all. That is most insane to me.

It was predicted to head over to Pensacola at one point. It changed. They had 36 hours and it was still impossible to know exactly where the strongest part would hit and they were wrong. I know enough about hurricanes to know that a great deal of the time they are not always right about the path, but to this extent? Im still suspicious.

If I were to accept this story of events they still are wrong. That means Bush had 36 hours where he could've done something, anything, but did nothing.

So about the levees in N.O. were built for a grade 3 hurricane. About 30 years ago someone in Congress suggest that we spend some serious money on New Orleans, including some plans to move the Mississippi, but none of these were taken seriously. Read Scientific America from 2001 about this. Very interesting stuff. They could've done something about it. Bush just didn't want to spend any money. Its a big blame on his shoulders, I admit.

Well, he is taking it all for this, why is President Bush being blamed for the levee problems? Like I said, the issue of the levee has been brought up several times over the last 30 years. And many of our past presidents including former President Bill Clinton chose not to reenforce it. But I suppose now it is all President Bush's fault because he made the same decisions that many president's before him did. The haters of President Bush are out in full force and are in rare form on this. Any thing and absolutely any thing to pick him apart and they pounce on it. It is absoultely and positively ridiculous to place 100% blame on President Bush for not fixing the levees. At best he should share the blame with the past Presidents of the last 30 years. Haha I hope Nick enjoyed that paragraph.

BUT- Bush definately did have at least a 4 year warning to attempt to raise the levee's and the other preparation issues, a 4 year warning which included in great details how and when the hurricane will hit New Orleans. This was 2001, but many months before 9/11. Bill Clinton did acknowledge at this time that he was worrying about New Orleans, as did, just about EVERYONE, but President Bush. He quashed any danger by simply ignoring it.

Then, they had a fortnight in which they were given an actual date and time, yes, date and time, in which the hurricane would hit. Absolutely no preparation was taken, they could've went to the heights of evacuating people well before it was hit.

Now, breathe in and take into account that as that fortnight went by the pressure to do something got tighter, day by day, hour by hour, and nothing was done. But lets move on...

According to the Bush administration, they had 'approximately "only" 36 hours to act, which simply wasnt enough time' (-enough time, to do anything? Anything at all? Not even prepare some pick up trucks with water on the back?) despite the fact this contradicts just about every news source that isn't Fox. Anywho...

With 36 hours, they didnt do anything. This is a fact. They not only fumbled with their thumbs for 30 years, not even for 4 years, not for a fortnight, but 36 hours before they definite hurricane would strike, they still, sat back and did, absolutely nothing.

This was the biggest hurricane in the history of America, we did have warning it was going to hit, and we didn't take the proper precautions to take care of it. Bush could've moved military and aid units much, much earlier. That's a fact.

I hope Bush is having a nice holiday though. It's sunny in them parts.

Guest LiquidSky

This was the biggest hurricane in the history of America, we did have warning it was going to hit, and we didn't take the proper precautions to take care of it. Bush could've moved military and aid units much, much earlier. That's a fact

But the governor of Lousiana didn't ask for help before the hurricane hit...

i always cry when i see people interviewed who lost everything-----people who have family members missing---people who have now NOTHING--------i feel so fortunate to have my stomach full, to be warm in my bed, to know that my family is safe in their house because all this is a privilage i know many dont have right now-------if i lived closer to LA---i would offer my house, my clothes, my food to them---but all i can do right now is donate the very little i have :cry:

i hope those people over there are able to rest for the night----and i hope they are able to stay warm tonight----i hope tomorrow brings them a better day than today

This was the biggest hurricane in the history of America, we did have warning it was going to hit, and we didn't take the proper precautions to take care of it. Bush could've moved military and aid units much, much earlier. That's a fact

In another part of my gigantic post, I did mention how it was both federal AND local government's fault.

I dont see how Kathleen Babineux Blanco should be held very accountable for this, she did turn away at Commissioner LeBlanc's warning sign's but its not local governments job to worry about a hurricane that affects the nation.

The federal government should have dealt with their knowledge in having information on which states would be most damaged.

In another part of my gigantic post, I did mention how it was both federal AND local government's fault.

I dont see how Kathleen Babineux Blanco should be held very accountable for this, she did turn away at Commissioner LeBlanc's warning sign's but its not local governments job to worry about a hurricane that affects the nation.

The federal government should have dealt with their knowledge in having information on which states would be most damaged.

but its the local and or states place to take care of it. until it gets out of hand...thats how it works...it worked that way in florida last year....and if katrina wasnt that bad it would have been that way...its the failure of local and state goverment that did this....people dont seem to understand thats how america's system works.