🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Golf - Latest: US PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, New York (8-11 August)

Sternly

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad was freaking out, but I was sure it would be an easy up and down. The putt was extremely tentative and didn't even come close.

This is seriously feeling like dejavu, remember the masters? Kenny Perry tries to become oldest major champion, chokes up on 18, loses playoff to Cabrera who no one wanted to win.

Even the U.S. Open was a cinderella story gone bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yang outplays Woods for USPGA win

_46215782_yanga466.jpg

Yang was two strokes behind Woods going into the final round

South Korea's Yang Yong-Eun became the first Asian-born male winner of a major championship when he beat Tiger Woods to clinch the USPGA title at Hazeltine.

The 37-year-old was two shots adrift of overnight leader Woods but held his nerve to card 70 to the American's 75 to win by three on the final green.

Yang's victory ended Woods's run of winning all 14 of his major titles when leading going into the final round.

England's Lee Westwood and Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy tied for third.

The pair were five strokes adrift on three under after rounds of 70, with US Open champion Lucas Glover (74) a shot further back.

Defending champion Padraig Harrington, level with Yang at the start, blew his chances with a quintuple-bogey eight on the par-three 8th.

Woods was chasing a 15th major title and a record-equalling fifth USPGA title but unlike in previous majors he failed to hole putts when they really mattered and was unable to pull clear.

Yang, who was ranked 110th in the world before the event, claimed his single PGA Tour victory at the Honda Classic at Riviera earlier this year, but was best known for holding off Woods at the HSBC Champions event in China three years ago.

"I knew the odds were against me. I tried to be the least nervous I have ever been and went for broke," said Yang, speaking through a translator. "I've sort of visualised this quite a few times - playing against the best player in the history of golf, playing with him in the final round in a major. I have always dreamed about this."

Woods, who has won 70 career titles including five this season and two in the last two weeks, said: "It was a fun battle. He played beautifully. He did everything he needed to do.

"I played well enough the entire week to win the championship. I hit the ball great off the tee, hit my irons well. I did everything I needed to do except for getting the ball in the hole. You have to make putts, I didn't do that."

This is the first year Woods has not won at least one major since 2004 and the second time he has finished as runner-up to a surprise winner at Hazeltine. Despite ending with four birdies he lost out to Rich Beem when the USPGA was last held there in 2002.

Woods led at eight under at the start of the day, but dropped back to join the improving Yang at seven under after the 4th.

On the next hole, Yang was back alongside Harrington at six under but the Irishman collapsed when he fired his tee shot and a subsequent chip into the water to the right of the 8th.

Woods dropped back alongside Yang at six under after a bogey on the 8th, though the pair still had a two-shot lead over Soren Kjeldsen. But the Dane soon fell back, and entering the back nine Woods and Yang were in a virtual two-horse race at the front.

The world number one pulled ahead again with a birdie on the 11th, only to rejoin his playing partner at six under again after 12.

But Yang, known as "YE", charged into the lead when he chipped in from short of the green for an eagle two on the 14th.

Woods's birdie at the same hole restricted the deficit to one stroke but the swing changed the complexion of the round and the American was unable to get back in front.

Still one ahead going up the 18th, Yang fired to six feet while Woods found the thick fringe grass and took three to get down. Yang stroked in his putt for birdie to clinch the giant Wanamaker Trophy and celebrated by hoisting his golf bag aloft.

Harrington ended at level par after a round of 78, reminiscent of the way he finished the final day of the WGC event last week when leading Woods late on before finding water and running up a triple bogey.

Glover got to six under and within one of the lead after the 5th, while Sweden's Henrik Stenson was the only other player alongside Kjeldsen to reach four under on the final day.

The pair ended with rounds of 75 and 74 respectively to finish on one under alongside Germany's Martin Kaymer and South Africa's three-time major champion Ernie Els.

Yang joins Angel Cabrera (Masters), Glover (US Open) and Stewart Cink (Open Championship) as the 2009 major winners.

The previous best performance by a South Korean in a major was KJ Choi's third in the 2004 Masters tournament.

Formerly, the best Asian results in a major were Taiwan's Huan Lu-Liang, who finished runner-up in the 1971 Open, Japan's Isao Aoki, who placed second in the 1980 US Open and Taiwan's Chen Tze-Chung (TC Chen) who also tied for second at the 1985 US Open.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8204549.stm

_46215823_yangtiger766.jpg

• 7 months later...

_47597061_woods_getty_282.jpg

Tiger Woods drawn with Matt Kuchar and KJ Choi

Tiger Woods has been paired with Matt Kuchar and KJ Choi for the first two rounds of the Masters at Augusta.

They will form the 31st and penultimate grouping on Thursday with a late tee-time of 1842 BST, returning on Friday to start their second round at 1535.

World number one Woods, 34, has not played since November last year.

He has spent much of the intervening time hidden from the public gaze following a string of damaging revelations about his private life.

Woods has publicly apologised for cheating on his wife, Elin, who will not be with him at Augusta.

But the moment he announced three weeks ago that he was making his comeback in the Masters he was installed as favourite for a tournament he has won four times. Woods faced both the fans and the press on Monday but is still trying to put his family life back together.

On Monday, he also denied he had ever used human growth hormone or performance-enhancing drugs and promised to give his "full co-operation" to the federal authorities investigating controversial doctor Anthony Galea.

Galea first treated Woods during his eight-month recovery from knee surgery in 2008-09, and again when he tore his Achilles tendon 16 months ago.

One of his adversaries over the opening two rounds at the Masters will be South Korea's Choi, a 39-year-old who is a seven-time winner on the PGA tour, having amassed nearly $21m in prize money.

The other is Florida-born Kuchar, who is in excellent form this year with four top-10 finishes. The 31-year-old has won more than $9m on the tour.

"I like playing with big crowds," said Choi. "It's funny, I sort of had a feeling that it would be cool if I was paired with Tiger and it happened. I like playing with big crowds. I will probably play more aggressive. "It's important that the gallery realise what's going on. To take what happened outside the golf course and bring it inside the golf course, I don't think that's right. I believe they're educated and will respect the game of golf."

Among those hoping to deny Woods a fairytale victory this week are Ireland's Padraig Harrington, a three-time major winner.

Harrington said: "I like to show form and be getting into contention before I get to any tournament, especially a major. I'm comfortable with my form. It's not too far away, my game is pretty strong. I ain't playing for second place."

He said it was important for players not to be distracted by the inevitable focus that will be directed towards Woods.

"Most players may react even worse if he gets on the leaderboard, they'll think 'oh, he's back stronger than ever'. A lot of people are trying to make out that players aren't going to put up on such a pedestal but I actually think if he comes back playing well players will think he's invincible."

Harrington is partnered with Open champion Stewart Cink and South African Charl Schwartzel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8605327.stm

_47587642_-21.jpg

Tiger Woods was applauded by fans as he concluded his practice round at Augusta National ahead of the Masters.

The fans showed their appreciation of an approach shot to within 10 feet of the flag on the 18th hole.

It was the first time he has played in public in almost five months after the furore surrounding his private life. Playing partner Fred Couples said: "We are buddies. The reception was awesome and I think he is fine. I love the way he plays - he's still the best."

Around 500 watched Woods tee off at the Augusta National on Monday. The 34-year-old had played a practice round behind closed doors on Sunday.

Couples added: "My goal (today) was not to talk to Tiger about his life, but to learn how to play this course. "His intimidation factor is always there. Guys are intimidated by the way you play golf."

Woods was not drawn as he walked off the course when a reporter asked for an interview, only responding: "I've got a press conference, haven't I?"

Woods will appear at that full news conference for the first time since admitting to several extra-marital affairs at 1900 BST. During his round, Woods gratefully acknowledged occasional shouts of encouragement from the gallery.

Woods chipped in twice from off the third green, but may find his engagement with the press later on Monday more challenging.

The news conference will be attended by 180 specially accredited journalists.

Since the revelations over his private life were made public, he has given two five-minute interviews to separate American television broadcasters. Woods will tee off in his first tournament for five months on Thursday. The American arrived at Augusta without prior notice on Sunday, along with about a dozen players, on the new practice range.

He chatted with Britain's Paul Casey and began hitting balls before heading to the course for a practice round. "It's where I'm used to seeing him," said Casey. "All of a sudden he appeared behind me. He was all business as usual - hit 10 balls and go play."

Fellow American Jim Furyk added: "He's probably here a little earlier than normal. I've never seen him here on a Sunday. Generally, it's nice to have him back and I can't wait until he's out here and I don't have to answer any more questions about him."

Woods is seeking to win his fifth Masters title on his return after the scandal surrounding his private life erupted late last year. He crashed his car into a fire hydrant and a tree near his Florida home on 27 November, an incident that led to a storm of publicity about his private life.

In February, he admitted being unfaithful to his wife Elin while making a tearful public apology. Wood's last tournament appearance was on 15 November - when he won the Australian Masters. "We need to stand behind him," PGA Tour stalwart Kenny Perry said.

Other golfers believe Woods will return to the sport fully focused as he bids to capture the five major titles he needs to surpass the record of 18 currently held by Jack Nicklaus. "He has made a mistake and he has come forward and really taken full responsibility," said close friend and former Masters champion Mark O'Meara. "Now that he has come clean and he is trying to get better, you have to respect that. You don't respect what happened, but we have to let the guy move forward."

Woods has had seven top-three finishes from 15 starts at Augusta and those who have witnessed his practice sessions in the build-up to this year's event have been impressed. "He's hitting it longer than before," Indian Arjun Atwal observed. "I don't see anybody hit the ball like he does," said American John Cook. "That's vintage. I don't see anybody beating him."

Perry, joint runner-up to Angel Cabrera at Augusta last year, said: "I think he's going to come back and play great. "He has got a little bit of a chip on his shoulder. I think it's going to make him stronger."

Woods has admitted he is wary of the reception he will receive from the galleries but former US Open champion Retief Goosen said: "I don't think he's going to be the bad guy. He's going to be 99.9% the good guy. "There's only going to be that 0.1% that is going to make comments. That's probably going to make him feel a little bit like the rest of us."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8602535.stm

Was about to bump this thread, then saw its already been bumped. Anyone been watching? I always underestimate Couples and Watson.
Mickelson's looking strong, as does Westwood. I expect them to be there or there abouts, and I hope I'm wrong but I don't think the oldies will hold on to the end.

Tough finish for Couples, three straight bogeys. I was expecting Poulter to do well, supposedly Westwood practiced harder for this masters than any before, but since he's been a bit off on the regular tour, I did expect much from him.

Anyway, no one's safe so long as Tiger keeps playing the way he is.

Hmm, guess I should stop joking about Watson having it sewn up. On -3 now. :sad:

I haven't seen too much live action, saw Tiger miss out on a few Eagles yesterday, and a few other birdies, could easily be up with Westwood right now if a few of those just dropped in.

Hmm, guess I should stop joking about Watson having it sewn up. On -3 now. :sad:

I haven't seen too much live action, saw Tiger miss out on a few Eagles yesterday, and a few other birdies, could easily be up with Westwood right now if a few of those just dropped in.

nonetheless, yesterday was the first time Tiger's had two eagles in one round at the master's. And that's with missing a ten foot eagle try on the 13th. In his early days he always went into sunday with the lead, but in the last five years, he's come back to win after sometimes nearly missing the cut.

Ad'S?

I've only seen the one with Tiger staring in the camera and his father's voice questioning what he's thinking.

I also agree that I'm sick of commentators mentioning 'the controversy' between every shot, but with ad's like this I don't really blame them.