🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Golf - Latest: US PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, New York (8-11 August)

Sternly

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quote from the American captain that they were expecting points from the stars and the rest of the players to support them and pick up points sums the US team up...

The Europeans have no 'stars'. They are a team. World rankings are irrelevent in this event.

Europe retain Ryder Cup

woosnamR240906_228x346.jpgenlarge.gif

Europe have won the Ryder Cup for an unprecedented third straight time at the K Club.

Leading 10-6 overnight, Ian Woosnam's side easily collected the four-and-a-half points they needed to seal victory.

Colin Montgomerie, Paul Casey, David Howell and Luke Donald all won to ensure the trophy was retained, leaving Henrik Stenson to hole the winning putt against Vaughn Taylor.

Four years after performing the same role at The Belfry, Montgomerie was tasked with getting Woosnam's side off to the perfect start in the final day's singles.

And Montgomerie, who holed the winning putt in beating Toms at Oakland Hills in 2004, duly delivered with a one-hole victory.

"I'll miss this when it's gone," admitted Montgomerie, who has never lost a Ryder Cup singles match. "That's eight now and I don't know if I am due a ninth.

"We have done fantastic and the crowd have been superb. If you were at all shaky there was no way you would have managed to hit a ball off that first tee."

Stewart Cink had earlier put the first point on the board with a shock 4&3 win over the previously unbeaten Sergio Garcia.

Cink was in simply inspired form, making birdies at four of the first five holes and taking advantage of two bogeys from Garcia to be five up after just seven holes.

Garcia refused to give in and reduced his deficit to three holes at the 10th but Cink then birdied three of the next four as well, the last hole summing up the day. Garcia chipped in for birdie to seemingly keep the match alive, only for Cink to follow him in from 25 feet to seal a 4&3 victory.

Tiger Woods made it three points out of five for the week with a 3&2 victory over Robert Karlsson, and Furyk threatened to claim an improbable half against Casey with an eagle on the 16th.

Furyk also set up a birdie chance on 17 but Casey beat him to it from 25 feet to seal a 2&1 victory and put Europe 12-8 ahead.

It was now simply a question of who would hole the winning putt, and it was a close-run affair. David Howell fired his fourth birdie in a row to beat Brett Wetterich 5&4, and just five minutes later Luke Donald beat Chad Campbell 2&1 to ensure the trophy was retained.

And just seconds later Swedish rookie Henrik Stenson holed the winning putt in beating Vaughn Taylor on the 15th green to spark massive celebrations.

The tears inevitably flowed as Darren Clarke made it three wins out of three by beating Zach Johnson, six weeks to the day since his wife Heather died from cancer.

Woosnam hugged Clarke and told him: "Destiny, destiny."

"This is as good as it gets," Clarke said. "It's been a difficult week but from the minute I made myself available I was determined to get ready and I was.

"It's done a lot for me, people have shown me how much they care for me and how much they cared for Heather, and that means everything. I was trying to keep my emotions in check all the way round the front nine and concentrate on my own game."

• 9 months later...

Garcia sets Open clubhouse target

_44011005_sergio.jpg

Garcia has tied for fifth at the last two Open championships

Sergio Garcia posted the clubhouse target of six under at the Open with a steady second-round 71 at Carnoustie.

The 27-year-old was two clear at the start of play and with the wind making low scoring difficult, he bogeyed the 4th to slip back to five under.

He also bogeyed the 11th but claimed birdies at the 6th and the 14th to remain six under going to the last.

And despite a wayward second shot that missed the green, he produced a fine up and down to save par.

Garcia's Ryder Cup team-mate Miguel Angel Jimenez enjoyed a good day out on the Angus links.

After his opening day 69 he moved to three under with a birdie at the fourth before successive bogeys at the turn saw him slip back.

But the Spaniard got one back at the par-five 14th then almost holed his tee shot at the par three 16th and tapped in for a third birdie of the day.

His round of 70 puts him just three shots behind Garcia.

American Jim Furyk also fired a one under par round of 70 as he egded closer to contention.

The world number three fired in five birdies and four bogeys, including a dropped shot at the last for the second successive day.

Furyk's compatriot Boo Weekley joined him in the clubhouse on two under after a one over par 72.

Weekley, who is making his Open debut, seems to have adapted quickly to links golf.

"This is the kind of golf course I grew up on," he said. "It wasn't a links but it was fast.

"Out here it's a bump and run course. You have to hit your drive right but sometimes you can hit your drive well and it can still run off into the rough.

"We have still got 36 holes to go so. We have got to hit it a bit better than we did today."

Niclas Fasth is the only player to break 70 so far, the Swede recovering from his opening round of 75 with a two under par 69.

It could have been even better had he not spoiled his card with a double bogey six on the 14th hole.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/6908589.stm

Mickelson poised to miss Open cut

_44011311_mickelson270.jpg

Mickelson works out his options after finding sand at the 12th

Three-time major winner and world number two Phil Mickelson is in danger of missing the cut at the Open after a second-round 77 at Carnoustie.

The left-hander was erratic with his driver and carded five bogeys before finding the Barry Burn at the last on the way to a double bogey.

Mickelson is on six over and, with the cut expected at three over, he is unlikely to play this weekend.

England's Luke Donald could also miss out after a 76 put him on four over.

Donald was five off the overnight leader at the start of the day and picked up a birdie at the second to go two under.

But he double bogeyed the 3rd after finding a bunker and three-putting and triple bogeyed the 6th after pulling his drive out of bounds, which Donald blamed on the noise of a club going into the bag of a playing partner.

He dropped another shot at the 10th, then birdied three of the next four holes, but undid that by losing a ball in the bush for another double bogey on the 15th and bogeyed the short 16th.

"I came back well, so I'm disappointed with the finish and this score is not what I wanted," he said. "But I have to believe I can shoot a couple of 66s."

And Donald refused to blame his partner for the distraction at the 6th, saying: "It was just bad timing. These things happen - it was not on purpose."

Mickelson, who was in confident mood after reaching the play-off of last week's Scottish Open, said a poor putting display cost him dearly.

"I didn't play well but I thought was a very fair test," he admitted. "It was a little windy but it wasn't unplayable. There were under-par scores out there and I just didn't putt well enough to have one of them.

"I thought I was playing a lot better than this. I started to play some pretty good golf last week and I don't know why I've putted these greens so poorly.

"They are very good, with a very good texture, and I've seen a lot of guys make putts but I just haven't been one of them."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/6908821.stm

Leaders:

-6 S Garcia (18)

-3 MA Jimenez (18), KJ Choi (12), R Goosen (11), S Cink (5), M Brier (2)

-2 J Furyk (18), B Weekley (18), S Stricker (13), R Beem (2)

Sergio Garcia holds a three shot lead at the Open Championship after firing a second round 71 at Carnoustie.

Garcia is in the clubhouse on six under, three clear of a chasing pack that includes Miguel Angel Jimenez.

Ireland's Paul McGinley endured a poor start to his second round with a bogey at the first and a double bogey at the third hole to slip back to one under.

Tiger Woods doubled bogeyed the first hole after going out of bounds and has fallen back to level par.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/6907742.stm