The Offical Top Gear Thread

::Hayley::

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_42393277_hammond_203.jpg

First bike ride 'elates' Hammond

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond has said it was "fantastic" to ride a motorbike for the first time since his near-fatal jet-car crash in September.

He told Motorcycle News he had taken his Honda Fireblade around the streets of London just days after being given the all-clear to ride by doctors.

Hammond crashed in September while filming for the BBC motoring programme.

"I just can't believe how good that was," he said, although he admitted the first few minutes were "wobbly".

Hammond suffered memory loss and needed weeks of therapy after the 288mph (463km/h) accident at Elvington airfield near York in the north of England.

But he said it had not dimmed his love of all things petrol-driven, especially his bike.

"It felt like a fantastic connection straight back to a time when I hadn't suffered a brain injury and life was a lot simpler," he said.

"That's why I ride a bike. I can come out of a TV studio or the big meeting doing grown-up stuff - but the moment I get on a bike I'm exactly the same person I was 15 or 20 years ago."

He added: "That ride, the quick wobbly ride with me looking like a nobber, just made me realise why I love bikes and just what I started riding for all those years ago.

"Every ride I have ever done... they all make sense and came back to me in a split second.

"I'm finding it fairly hard to work out how I feel because just getting back on a bike has been incredible.

"It's not like I had forgotten how to ride but I did have to really think about what I was doing.

"It still felt perfectly natural, just my naturally cautious riding temperament has perhaps gone up a notch or two."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6214135.stm

• 2 weeks later...

BBC to show Richard Hammond's 288mph crash

BBC to show Richard Hammond's 288mph crash

Last updated at 11:35am on 5th January 2007

hammondPA2212_228x327.jpgLucky escape: Richard Hammond's horror crash to be screened when Top Gear returns

hammond_228x351.jpg

The BBC will screen footage of Richard Hammond's crash in the new series of Top Gear, according to co-presenter Jeremy Clarkson.

It is likely to be included in the first show on January 28.

Hammond had a miraculous escape when he crashed a 300mph jet-powered dragster while filming a stunt for the programme in September.

"Half the world wants to see the crash so I'm sure we'll show it," Clarkson told The Sun.

"We're looking into whether we've enough footage of a good quality to show it.

"I imagine we'll be using it in the first show." Hammond himself - who has no memory of the crash - is happy for the scenes to be broadcast.

Clarkson said: "Richard has no idea what happened to him so he'll be as keen as everyone else to see it."

The new series will feature 35 daredevil stunts including the launch of a home-made space shuttle.

A BBC spokesman said a final decision on the footage is yet to be made

• 2 weeks later...

The moment Richard Hammond defied death at 280mph

The moment Hammond defied death at 280mph

By DAVID WILKES - More by this author » Last updated at 22:00pm on 17th January 2007

Below is the moment Richard Hammond was nearly killed as he tried to break the British land speed record.

The right front tyre of the Vampire rocket car can be seen exploding at up to 280mph.

Scroll down for more ...

hammondBBC1701_468x256.jpg

The dragster leaves the track and begins to cartwheel, kicking up a cloud of smoke and earth as the front wheels fly off.

The pictures of the crash that left the Top Gear presenter fighting for his life were released by the BBC last night. They are stills taken from film which is due to be broadcast when Top Gear returns to BBC2 on Sunday, January 28.

The accident, on September 20 last year at Elvington airfield, near York, left Hammond, 36, with serious brain injuries.

However, his recovery has been remarkable and he will be in the Top Gear studio with co-presenters Jeremy Clarksonand James May to talk viewers through the accident.

Writing in Top Gear magazine, he says: "I will have taken a few deep breaths on the start line as the engine roared and my thumb hovered over the afterburner switch.

Then I will have hit it and 10,000bhp will have hurled me towards the horizon and up to 280mph. And the rest is, I'm afraid, history."

Coming next week:

"It’s business as usual this week on Top Gear.

We perform a public service by smashing a really big train into an aging French people carrier. Trust us, it’ll all make sense when you see it.

James makes the definitive bid to rid himself of his ‘Captain Slow’ nickname, by attempting to max-out the 252mph Bugatti Veyron at Volkswagen’s top secret test-track.

An A-list Hollywood star comes to our studio and has a ride in our distinctly C-list reasonably priced car.

And Jeremy, Richard and James try to decide on the best small coupe by taking the latest offerings from Audi, Mazda and Alfa Romeo to two of their natural habitats – a design museum and a golf course."

can't wait to see the train vs. people carrier.

Top Gear crash wins ratings clash

Top Gear won the battle of the ratings on Sunday, with more watching dramatic footage of Richard Hammond's car crash than the Celebrity Big Brother final.

At its peak, the BBC Two motoring show was seen by 8.6 million - 1.3 million more than the 7.3 million who watched Shilpa Shetty win the Channel 4 show.

The station has continued to defend the show against charges of racial abuse.

But Channel 4 chief executive Andy Duncan told BBC Radio 4 that there were "important lessons to be learned".

"We're very sorry for any upset caused," he told the BBC's Torin Douglas, while dismissing any suggestion Channel 4 was rethinking its position on the show.

The station was "committed to the programme going forward", he said.

'Completely fixed'

Top Gear's average audience on Sunday night was 7.9 million, compared to the 4.8 million who saw its rival's first hour.

That figure rose to 6.5 million as the Channel 4 show reached its conclusion.

That's how it is in the world; things go wrong

Richard Hammond

The average audience for the last series of Top Gear peaked at 5.3 million in August 2006.

Celebrity Big Brother was also beaten by BBC One drama Waking the Dead, which reached an average audience of 6.7 million.

Top Gear viewers saw Hammond introduce shocking footage of the 280mph accident in a jet-powered car that left him fighting for life last September.

The 37-year-old declared himself "completely fixed and normal" and implored co-presenters Jeremy Clarkson and James May to make no further mention of the crash.

A spokeswoman for the programme said it was "great to have Top Gear back and in such good form".

Writing on his blog at Topgear.com after Sunday's programme, Hammond defended the decision to show the crash footage.

"We can't pretend it didn't happen - that we can hoon about all over Europe in supercars and punt jet-propelled dragsters up runways at 300mph without things going wrong," he writes.

"That's how it is in the world; things go wrong. And if I've learned one thing, it's that they can go wrong at the worst possible moment."

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/6309411.stm

Yay for Top Gear :)

Top Gear insulting, says charity

The handling of Richard Hammond's return to Top Gear has been branded "insensitive" and "insulting" by a charity for people with brain injury.

Headway said it had been inundated with complaints particularly over comments made by presenter Jeremy Clarkson.

At the start of Sunday's show, Mr Clarkson asked Mr Hammond if he was mental, while James May offered him a tissue in case he started dribbling.

The BBC said the show was not intended to cause any offence.

Headway chief executive Peter McCabe said: "This has created such anger among members of Headway. It really was offensive and insulting to all those people living with brain injuries.

"I think the whole way the show handled the issue was wrong. They should not have shown the crash.

"It just glamorised fast driving and gives the impression people can make a full recovery from head injuries.

"That is not always the case."

Complaints

The charity said it had received 50 complaints via the telephone helpline and through email from members and has now announced it will be making a complaint about the programme.

Mr Hammond, 37, was left fighting for his life in September following the crash in when his jet-powered car came off a runway near York at 280mph.

The BBC Two show featured footage of the crash.

A BBC spokesman said: "Top Gear's audience is familiar with the irreverent tone of the programme and this was typical of the type of exchanges that take place between the presenters. It was certainly not intended to cause any offence.

"The item showing Richard's crash could not have been a clearer illustration of the dangers and excitements of speed."

The programme has also fallen foul of Brake, the national road safety charity.

It said it was "shocked and appalled" by Mr Clarkson's comment that "speed kills" just after pointing at Mr Hammond following clips of the crash.

Jools Townsend, from the charity, said: "Clarkson's comment was highly irresponsible and offensive to anyone who has been bereaved or injured at the hands of a speeding driver.

"A shockingly disproportionate number of young male drivers are dying on our roads and it is highly irresponsible for the BBC to allow Top Gear, with its target audience of young males, to openly make light the deadly act of speeding."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6324129.stm?ls

_42500867_hammond_203.jpg

It was ace! And i'm sorry to say but i found his discomfort over the whole dancing girls on the staircase really amusing!

Exactly - he comes across as a very nice guy who isn't really comfortable being in the limelight. He should be applauded for this.