The Offical Top Gear Thread

::Hayley::

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Top Gear presenter hurt in crash

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is in a critical condition in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the programme.

The presenter, 36, was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary which has a special neurological unit.

A North Yorkshire Ambulance Service spokesman said he was unconscious when they got to the scene and a hospital spokesman described him as "critical".

The BBC confirmed the presenter had been injured during a Top Gear shoot.

Inspector Mike Thompson, of North Yorkshire Police, said officers were dealing with the incident at Elvington airfield, a former RAF base, in North Yorkshire.

He said: "At 5.45pm this evening we received a report via the fire service of a male person trapped in what was described as an overturned jet car which had been driven on the airfield.

"The male occupant has received serious injuries and has been airlifted to hospital at Leeds."

The presenter was born in Birmingham, educated in Yorkshire and lives near Cheltenham.

In addition to presenting Top Gear for the BBC, he also fronted Brainiac on Sky One until recently.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5365676.stm

Get well soon Hammy :(

This most certainly will have consiquences to the show. Maybe they will stop doing bits about these sort of extreme machines (jet cars, racing motorised canoes etc).

To be fair i don't enjoy those features as much anyway. I think they should concentrate more on road cars.

This most certainly will have consiquences to the show. Maybe they will stop doing bits about these sort of extreme machines (jet cars, racing motorised canoes etc).

To be fair i don't enjoy those features as much anyway. I think they should concentrate more on road cars.

If you just want a old-school motoring program which focuses just on reviewing cars than your pretty much stuck, 'cos those programs won't surive these days (look at Fifth Gear for example, they have moved away from a pure reviewing show now)

If you just want a old-school motoring program which focuses just on reviewing cars than your pretty much stuck' date=' 'cos those programs won't surive these days (look at Fifth Gear for example, they have moved away from a pure reviewing show now)[/quote']

Nah. I love the current format Top gear (it's one of my favourite programmes). I love the things they do with the super cars and would bored if they did week after week of reviews for cars like Nissan Micras. It's just that i've personally seen a very slight change over the last few series which is taking them further away from 'traditional' road cars and more toward these 'extreme machines' (by which i mean things like jet cars which are not even available to buy as far as i know).

So you prefer it to be about racing a nissan micra from london to sheffield?

Maybe if it were a Veyron :P

The thing about features like racing Astons against trains, is that there is a point to prove i.e cars > trains/planes/boats.

I guess i'm just less interested in non-production cars.

BTW i did think the Toybota thing was hilarious *shrug*

Good TV = Makes more people watch show

That's fair enough. I was just saying that personally i find things like trying to break the indoor speed record less interesting, than say trying to get from London to Edinburgh on one tank of fuel.

Top Gear star begs BBC to show 280mph car crash

Top Gear star begs BBC to show 280mph car crash

Last updated at 11:43am on 26th September 2006 commentIconSm.gif Reader comments (12)

hammondG_228x400.jpg

With Top Gear facing the axe, injured presenter Richard Hammond has begged the BBC to show the 280mph car crash that almost killed him.

In a bid to save the motoring show, the 36-year-old is also prepared to appear on television live from his hospital bed as BBC bosses have said they will only screen the new series if Hammond is well enough to appear on it.

Hammond, who suffered a serious brain injury after his jet-powered dragster crashed, is desperate to get in front of a camera as he is worried the programme will be cancelled before he has had a chance to recover from his injuries.

A friend of the presenter, told the Daily Star: "Richard could not stand to feel he was to blame for the demise of the show he loves.

"He's fuming they've postponed the next series because he fears that's the first step towards the BBC pulling the plug permanently. He's terrified they're going to axe it while he's stuck in hospital.

"He'll do anything to keep Top Gear going, even if it means broadcasting from his hospital bed. It would be an emotional broadcast for everyone involved and a ratings winner."

Hammond, affectionately nicknamed the Hamster, has been angered by rumours that Top Gear's future is in doubt as the new series which was due to be aired on October 8 has been postponed indefinitely.

Now out of intensive care at Leeds General Infirmary the presenter has amazed doctors with his fast recovery as only last week his life hanged in the balance.

Reunited with his two daughters Isabella, five, and Willow, two, he is now walking, talking and eating.

Producer Andy Wilman has threatened to quit the show if the BBC try to tone down the show's emphasis on speed and stunts.

While co-presenter Jeremy Clarkson, 46, said: "Swarms of bureaucratic bluebottles are nibbling away at the crash site on York airfield desperately trying to find some reason why Top Gear should be banished from our screens."

but that's exactly what it was, an accident. accidents do happen, and the only way to prevent them is to wrap everyone in cotton wool and never leave the house.

as I saw in one of the papers today, Top Gear is not irresponsible and it doesn't promote speeding. if anything, it can show you the consequences