✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Viva La Vida (song) meaning thread!

not to mension the fact that he says saint peter will call his name at the end becuase he realizes what was is in the past, "never an honest word, but that WAS when i ruled the world."

showing that he knows he can still change and be a good person

actually he says will every time, if you think about it it doesn't make since for him to say "for some reason i can't explain" if he say's i know saint peter won't call my name"

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viva la Vida

I think this song is about St. Paul...a model for turning away from materialistic possessions and turning towards Christ.

Paul was originally a Roman citizen who turned away from his Roman heritage to embrace Christ. Originally he hid behind his Roman citizenship anytime he got into trouble. He rolled the dice, etc.

Supposedly, Paul never met Jesus before Jesus' crucifixion. Which also makes sense with the lyrics.

It can also be taken to be generic and for everyone. It uses a lot of references which can be alluded to different historical figures. The Revolution can refer to the French Revolution and the head on a platter is John the Baptist and it goes on and on...

If it is about one historical figure I believe it is Saint Paul (Saul of Tarsus)

If it is more superficial it's a reference to figures throughout history and is just a "those who are rich now and abuse their power may not be rich at all, and surely will not be rich when it comes to the afterlife."

Biblical References do not equal being deluded/religious (synonymous).

They are populist ways of getting across a point.

In 'Viva La Vida' the point is that power and control corrupts.

you took the words out of my mouth (err.. fingers?)!!

i think you are right that is about jesus christ, but you are judging it wrongly the escapist... the correct is to say that is a a Christian one, you obviously say that is a catholic one because you have been grown as a catholic, am i right?

the religious differences are not that distant imo, but the correct is to say christian and more that the song is speaking about jesus christ.

and i like that they do it, if the album is about rebelion an social movements, out of being or not a christian or a believer, just taking into account jesus from nazaret as a human being, he was a revolutionary man, that's why he was accused and sentenced, romans feared his powers, his human powers of make many people follow and do what he thinks.

recently i've been thinking that the heroe for any social movement, the first one should be Jesus of Nazaret, no matter of the religious side, i think he would had been an interesting person to meet just for this rebel thing he did.

i'm glad that at least a band recognize it. :)

Oh man, I just started to read your piece and the line "grown as a Catholic" really made the image of millions of people sprouting out of flower pots the world over. Who knew!

What r the thoughts on Violet Hill?? Is anyone familiar with the poem by Browning called Porphyria's Lover?? In it, the narrator has killed his girlfriend and he sits with her all night long without saying a word. Read it and compare.

What r the thoughts on Violet Hill?? Is anyone familiar with the poem by Browning called Porphyria's Lover?? In it, the narrator has killed his girlfriend and he sits with her all night long without saying a word. Read it and compare.

Oh my God I haven't seen Gwyneth the last few days...you don't think...do you?????????

Ha! I didn't mean it in that way....

Hmm...yes, I'm sure...:sneaky:

I think VH is just like one night Chris was watching CNN/FOX/ABC/BBC News or whatever, saw lots of images of people dying and pain and suffering, leapt up, roared "F*CK IT!!" ran to the piano and belted it out. The lyrics are both oblique and angry. He's telling it like it is!!

What’s Coldplay Getting at in “Viva La Vida”?

I enjoy listening for spiritual/religious themes in pop culture, especially music. Mostly because its all over the place, and often in surprising places.

Coldplay has long been very fertile ground for this. Though I don’t believe they’ve made any particular profession of faith (like members of U2) much of Coldplay’s lyrics are absolutely DRENCHED in spiritual themes/imagery: Substitute “Jesus” for “Green Eyes” and you’ve got a worship song ready for many Christian settings (and I’ve heard it sung that way!). I believe that “In My Place” is about the substitutionary atonement of Christ’s death on the Cross for humanity’s sin. (Maybe I’m reading into that a bit, but not much. And I’m not alone). And my personal favorite, pointed out to me by my 4-year-old Samuel: “Swallowed in the Sea” is about Jonah. Think about it: “You belong with me/not swallowed in the sea.” Makes total sense if God is singing this to Jonah. That song is known AS “the Jonah song” in our family, and played repeatedly on car trips.

So it’s been with real interest that I’ve listened to the first two tracks from the new Coldplay album “Viva La Vida” (no, Ricky Martin is not involved, but I’m waiting for the mash-up. How funny/weird would that be?). The title track doesn’t lack for Christian imagery:

I used to rule the world

Seas would rise when I gave the word

Now in the morning I sweep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy’s eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing:

“Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!”

One minute I held the key

Next the walls were closed on me

And I discovered that my castles stand

Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

My first instinct is that this is an oblique protest song, and a commentary on the decline of American prestige abroad because of failed attempts at regime change (”the old king is dead”) and the resulting fallout. The first stanza may be a reference to Katrina–the seas didn’t obey that day, and left behind a big mess.

Who’s speaking? It’s in first person. I imagine Chris Martin putting these words in Dubya’s mouth. The whole song makes much more sense that way.

Despite the self-assuredness (in some sectors) that the US was carrying out God’s plan, we discovered that our castles were built on sand (allusion to Jesus’ parable in Matthew 7:24-29) and salt (Lot’s wife in Genesis 19:26).

Then we have what seems to be religious veneer covering up for unjust actions:

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing

Roman Cavalry choirs are singing

Be my mirror my sword and shield

My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can’t explain

I know Saint Peter will call my name

Never an honest word

But that was when I ruled the world

Oooooh Oooooh Oooooh

bush-pope.jpg

It was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in.

Shattered windows and the sound of drums

People couldn’t believe what I’d become

Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever want to be king?

Never an honest word

(Ohhhhh Ohhh Ohhh)

http://stevelutz.wordpress.com/2008/05/13/whats-coldplay-getting-at-in-viva-la-vida/

I enjoy listening for spiritual/religious themes in pop culture, especially music. Mostly because its all over the place, and often in surprising places.

Coldplay has long been very fertile ground for this. Though I don’t believe they’ve made any particular profession of faith (like members of U2) much of Coldplay’s lyrics are absolutely DRENCHED in spiritual themes/imagery: Substitute “Jesus” for “Green Eyes” and you’ve got a worship song ready for many Christian settings (and I’ve heard it sung that way!). I believe that “In My Place” is about the substitutionary atonement of Christ’s death on the Cross for humanity’s sin. (Maybe I’m reading into that a bit, but not much. And I’m not alone). And my personal favorite, pointed out to me by my 4-year-old Samuel: “Swallowed in the Sea” is about Jonah. Think about it: “You belong with me/not swallowed in the sea.” Makes total sense if God is singing this to Jonah. That song is known AS “the Jonah song” in our family, and played repeatedly on car trips.

So it’s been with real interest that I’ve listened to the first two tracks from the new Coldplay album “Viva La Vida” (no, Ricky Martin is not involved, but I’m waiting for the mash-up. How funny/weird would that be?). The title track doesn’t lack for Christian imagery:

I used to rule the world

Seas would rise when I gave the word

Now in the morning I sweep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy’s eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing:

“Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!”

My first instinct is that this is an oblique protest song, and a commentary on the decline of American prestige abroad because of failed attempts at regime change (”the old king is dead”) and the resulting fallout. The first stanza may be a reference to Katrina–the seas didn’t obey that day, and left behind a big mess.

Who’s speaking? It’s in first person. I imagine Chris Martin putting these words in Dubya’s mouth. The whole song makes much more sense that way.

Despite the self-assuredness (in some sectors) that the US was carrying out God’s plan, we discovered that our castles were built on sand (allusion to Jesus’ parable in Matthew 7:24-29) and salt (Lot’s wife in Genesis 19:26).

Then we have what seems to be religious veneer covering up for unjust actions:

Never an honest word

Oooooh Oooooh Oooooh

bush-pope.jpg

It was the wicked and wild wind

People couldn’t believe what I’d become

Revolutionaries wait

Never an honest word

(Ohhhhh Ohhh Ohhh)

http://stevelutz.wordpress.com/2008/05/13/whats-coldplay-getting-at-in-viva-la-vida/

That's very interesting. Though honestly its almost like a big mash-up of characters from the Bible to effectively tell a story, not just one i.e. Jesus I think. Still its always interesting when you can read so deeply into any artists songs as so many of them are vapid or along this line: "I'm a rock star - fans piss me off - the groupies are good - drugs even better - man I hate life - I love my money" and that's usually all in the first verse;)

What an interesting read this thread has been. I love hearing everyone's interpretation of the song. I'm sure Chris would find it just as intriguing. Ian, I also love reading your interpretation of Green Eyes, In My Place and Swallowed in the Sea, etc. Is there a place on this board where you've put all your song interpretations down? I, for one, would love to read them!

While there are obvious biblical and monarchy references in this song, I see it as Chris' point of view about himself and the band. Essentially the band was at the top of their game after the last three albums and the world worshipped them (if you will) but in essence others couldn't wait to tear them down. After receiving such adjulation for so long, I get the feeling they needed to come down out of their castle and close themselves off to get real again which is why he says "I used to rule the world....now in the morning I sweep alone, sweep the streets I used to own". The streets of London - I'm sure at times they feel lonely to him because as Chris pointed out, some people want to shake his hand, while others want to spit at him. Some may think I'm putting Chris in a very egotistical light because the first two lines of the song are "I used to rule the world, seas would rise when I gave the word", but I obviously don't take it literally and Chris needed a way to write his feelings without it coming across as it being about him.

I think he realized that all that adjulation wasn't real as many celebs come to realize. It's not what is real life is and he realized they had built their success or their feelings about success on pillars of sand, basically, it will all crumble and wash away so easily. The world loved them, but were they loving themselves? I get the feeling they didn't' think they did their best work on X&Y so it probably left them wondering why they deserved all this praise.

When he talks about his enemies and those that want his head on a silver plate, I'm thinking about the media and all those reviewers that don't like the band, and how awful they make Chris feel. He's saying, you think you want to be king, be at the top, but when you get there, it's tough and lonely, so you realize, who would ever want that?

Revolutionaries wait

I am not articulating this well at all, so my apologies, but I still wanted to share my thoughts. We all know how hard Chris is on himself so these were my first thoughts upon hearing the lyrics.

Also, I do think Chris sings "Saint Peter WON'T call my name".

What an interesting read this thread has been. I love hearing everyone's interpretation of the song. I'm sure Chris would find it just as intriguing. Ian, I also love reading your interpretation of Green Eyes, In My Place and Swallowed in the Sea, etc. Is there a place on this board where you've put all your song interpretations down? I, for one, would love to read them!

While there are obvious biblical and monarchy references in this song, I see it as Chris' point of view about himself and the band. Essentially the band was at the top of their game after the last three albums and the world worshipped them (if you will) but in essence others couldn't wait to tear them down. After receiving such adjulation for so long, I get the feeling they needed to come down out of their castle and close themselves off to get real again which is why he says "I used to rule the world....now in the morning I sweep alone, sweep the streets I used to own". The streets of London - I'm sure at times they feel lonely to him because as Chris pointed out, some people want to shake his hand, while others want to spit at him. Some may think I'm putting Chris in a very egotistical light because the first two lines of the song are "I used to rule the world, seas would rise when I gave the word", but I obviously don't take it literally and Chris needed a way to write his feelings without it coming across as it being about him.

I think he realized that all that adjulation wasn't real as many celebs come to realize. It's not what is real life is and he realized they had built their success or their feelings about success on pillars of sand, basically, it will all crumble and wash away so easily. The world loved them, but were they loving themselves? I get the feeling they didn't' think they did their best work on X&Y so it probably left them wondering why they deserved all this praise.

When he talks about his enemies and those that want his head on a silver plate, I'm thinking about the media and all those reviewers that don't like the band, and how awful they make Chris feel. He's saying, you think you want to be king, be at the top, but when you get there, it's tough and lonely, so you realize, who would ever want that?

Revolutionaries wait

I am not articulating this well at all, so my apologies, but I still wanted to share my thoughts. We all know how hard Chris is on himself so these were my first thoughts upon hearing the lyrics.

Also, I do think Chris sings "Saint Peter WON'T call my name".

Hmm, I think you articulated your points very well ccsg and I, like you, have enjoyed reading this thread. The thing I like about the best Coldplay songs is the fact that you can read into them in so many ways.

And I am honestly still uncertain whether he says "will" or "won't" - either way, its Peter denying Jesus three times (right?) or now that he's about to be crucified Peter would rather it be him. Maybe? Just a thought.

Thanks JPB. I appreciate that.

Hey, no prob, I think its great that everyone has different opinions and ideas! Its very interesting to read and see how the difference in where we live etc shapes our views of their songs. Its great to have such diversity!

Agreed! Nice to find someone so open minded. I thought some might trash my thoughts and/or dismiss me because I rarely post here. Been a member for some time, but usually just browse to keep up to date. Plus, I used to post regularly on the old CP website.

The sad face was supposed to go after my last sentence. Not at the top to make everyone think I'm sad. oops.

Agreed! Nice to find someone so open minded. I thought some might trash my thoughts and/or dismiss me because I rarely post here. Been a member for some time, but usually just browse to keep up to date. Plus, I used to post regularly on the old CP website.

The sad face was supposed to go after my last sentence. Not at the top to make everyone think I'm sad. oops.

I'm very much the noob here but I don't think you haveta worry bout anyone thrashing your thoughts - people are pretty cool round here (cept maybe on the day the "album has officially leaked" thread got started - things got pretty heated when we realised coldplayer34 had pulled off the greatest prank ever!).

Don't worry bout the sad face, we understand;)

No. Catholicism really isn't the focus in this song. i don't think this song has any direct meaning about Jesus Christ either. Wouldn't make sense anyway if you'd read the new testament of the Bible.

Anyway, this song might be inspired by actual historical "kingly" events, such as Nepoleon or King Louie the xii (so I've read.) But underneath it all, its really just talking about being all that, on top of the world, then all of the sudden your nothing. Maybe like that of a has-been actor or musician or anything like really.

Viva La Vida or Death & All His Friends interpretation

Good grief people! its nothing about Jesus, Moses, or any specific religious directions!!!! And it may not even be referring to specific historic events or persona's. But far closer to that then Biblical events.

Its simply a mediphor told in first person about being on top of the world, maybe like that of a king, or celebrity, or something like that. Then its all taken away, all gone and your back to just being a nobody, a nothing, someone without worth. Or at least FEEL worthless.

For example: /I know Saint Peter won't call my name/

Saint Peter is known to have been given the keys to the gates of Heaven. So, its said that when you die, Saint Peter would call your name to enter Heaven or not.

Another example: I hear Jeruselum's bell's a ringing/Roman Calvary chores are singing/

Again, can very simply be visual language that puts the idea of something of a big deal. You know like what you might see on film, a king marching into his kingdom or like that of the return of a hero or something like that.

Sure there are Biblical references, and historic references, but it is very likely they were melodic, rhythmic, and poetic ways of telling a story through song.

JEEEZ! I'm tired of hearing all these weird and ignorant filled interpretations all over the net.

yeah totally agree

Biblical References do not equal being deluded/religious (synonymous).

They are populist ways of getting across a point.

In 'Viva La Vida' the point is that power and control corrupts.

"It was the wicked and wild wind

People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait

Oh who would ever want to be king?"

When all your power gets stripped from you...and you become a nobody...again...you begin to realize all the stuff you were doing...so when he had all that power he probably became very corrupt...and once he became just another person...He realized what he had become...and probably regretted it...probably realized it when it was too late...kinda like those people that dont realize what they have until its gone...kinda like when you change to become a better person and you end up becoming something other than what you had planned to be...and when you finally have the chance to think about it...your already Screwed...:)