✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Viva La Vida (song) meaning thread!

actually the "feel the fear in my enemys eyes" could fit because they crusified him because they were scared of what he could do, and that the people would worship him.

although it wouldnt work because he did not have enemys personaly, so he wouldnt say that would he.

the line sounds like someone enjoying the power. n that hardly sounds like christ.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think JohnTitor has a good point - but the French Revolution interpretation is also correct.

The lyrics are definitely derived from the French Revolution theme, after the analysis I think it's very hard to discredit that.

But in the overall context of the album and Coldplay's work, the song's message could be to change the current governmental climate and, for lack of better words, join the revolution. Interesting :)

THe Devil the song is from Satin perpespective

If we analize the lyrics, the song has obvious biblical references and I think it's a song about Lucifer>

I used to rule the world

Seas would rise when I gave the word

Now in the morning I sweep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own

Biblically Who rules the current age the devil. In Job he has power of the elements. At the end of this age he'll be cast out alone in hell, the streets part only fits if the whole church is raptured out, then again he won't be alone, or the earth will be destroyed. Basically the streets line dosen't fit my theory nicely.

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing,

"Now the old king is dead, long live the king!"

One minute I held the key

Next the walls were closed on me

And I discovered that my castles stand

Upon pillars of salt, pillars of sand

First 2 lines fit Satin a gambler, provoker of fear. King is dead refrence to the slain Christ, then long live refrence to his reserection and accension. The key he held, again he used to be lord of this planet, the walls cave in on him are from when Jesus said it is finished on the cross, to the end of the world, when it will be destroyed and Satin is cast into the lake of fire, all this material reality of Earth is a temporary existence compared to the eternity of hell he's chosen.

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing

Roman Cavalry choirs are singing

Be my mirror my sword and shield

My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain

Once you know there was never, never an honest word

That was when I ruled the world

The never honest word, right to the garden of eden and the deception to Eve, the fall of man, and entrence of sin, and sin nature. Which has domanted existence to this day. Again who rules this world Satin.

It was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in

Shattered windows and the sound of drums

People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever wanna be king?

Wind, one of the titles of the deivl is prince of the air. People couldn't believe what he become, refrence to those who worshiped him the Anitchrist, will be shocked to see this being of light, and beauty and intelligence, on his day of judgement, his true awful and hideous nature will be shown, and people horrified to see him as he truly is. Revolutionaries in the book of Revelations the matarys cry out how long till they are avenged, they are the rebels of his rule, who want his head for theirs. A puppet is refrence to the anti chirst, the last line he's seeking pity.

thanks for reading, let me know what you think

[email protected]

Whatever it means, the lyrics just don't fit the rythm... when I heard the title "viva la vida" and the rythm of the song, i thought it was gonna be a song about life, its wonders, its good and pleasant moments... never though it was gonna be about Jesus, religion, a dictator etc

first he says "saint peter won't call my name" and then he says "st. peter WILL call my name" but i don't think that when he says "won't call my name" it means that he (the singer) is a sinner(as some of you say) but that st. peter denied jesus three times as he was gonna be crusified.:)

I didn't have enough time to read through this whole post, but from what I've seen, most people seem to be trying to pinpoint an exact historical event for the song to be about...

My personal opinion is that it's much more general of a "revolution" song

If anyone is familiar with Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, and more specifically O Fortuna, and the whole idea of The Wheel of Fortune, then you might already understand what I'm talking about. The Wheel of Fortune depicted the rise and fall of kingdoms, from the revolutionary stage (spring), through the ruling stage (summer), into the declining stage (autumn), ending with the defeated stage (winter). Orff's Carmina Burana follows the same cycle, starting in winter and following around through the seasons until it returns to winter once more.

Obviously Viva la Vida is not in the same format or anything like that, but I think the general sense of the fact that Viva la Vida, or "Long live life," as I think it's supposed to be translated (I know the Spanish translation is simply Live the life), is paired with "Death and all His Friends" in the album title is very significant for such an interpretation. The Wheel of Fortune is also frequently used as a metaphor for a person's life.

Now, all this might just be crazy rambling without much of a point, but what I'm really trying to say is that there is: 1) too much ambiguity in the lyrics themselves to justify a single historical or religious incident, 2) too much symbolism in the words themselves that pull in too many directions, and 3) that there are enough theories that seem plausible that one single answer is not enough to fill all the cups...

I guess the only real way to settle this dispute is for Chris Martin to tell us for sure...

While I think that there are some very religious phrases and undertones to this song, I don't think they are meant religiously at all. Given the broader scope of the song and the fact that there are several phrases that just don't fit in with the religious interpretations, I think that it is more likely a morality tale about power.

It's about absolute power corrupting absolutely. Taking power violently and by force ends with it being taken from you violently and by force. Abuse of power and desire for more end in revolution and violence. Childoftheunderworld I think said it beautifully. There are elements in here that refer to a host of historical figures that held great power and sway and all of them were swept aside in their turn.

It is interested when taken in light of world events at this time. Gordon Brown coming replacing Tony Blair as Prime Minister of England. The elections here in the United States where Bush will be replaced by someone and the general unhappiness of the public at how he ran things. Political turmoils surrounding the removal of Saddam Hussein in Iraq. There are many places right now where the "old king is dead" and "long live the [new] king" is being played out.

Throughout it there is the feeling of the fickleness of the masses and how quickly they can turn on you. The care that is needed as a ruler, especially if you got your power through violent means.

There also seems to be the idea of sorrow at ones past actions and forgiveness. The 2 final repetitions of the chorus are identical except that in the first one he knows that St. Peter WON'T call his name. Then in the 2nd repetition he says that St. Peter WILL call his name. It seems that this person has come to understand that the things they have done were wrong in some way and they feel sorry for that. This could go back to Napoleon and several kings mentioned who were exiled or imprisoned after their defeat and had plenty of time to think about things. This person became penitant. It's almost as if they are approaching their death and they are realizing that their life may not have been this great thing and they are asking forgiveness for it. Could this be a final prayer, recounting their life and trying to change their heart?

The music is incredible and no matter the true meaning of the lyrics, this is indeed a very powerful song.

The imagery of the album cover is related I think and not a coincidence. Wasn't it about the July 1830 deposition of Charles X of France? See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_Revolution

Only Chris Martin could be gifted enough to write a song about such a heavily historical theme and construct such a wonderful and beautiful song around it.

I believe this song is based on Napoleon Bonaparte

I used to rule the world

Now in the morning I sleep alone

he was ruler intill his armys lost at russia making him an exiled man

the seas are a reference to the defeat of britin were the seas were the only armour

mouring alone he is exiled

sweep the streets i dont noe

I used to roll the dice

Listen as the crowd would sing:

"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

I rolled the dies is his mistakes on the battle field

He was supreme rule so the kingdoms feared his rule

the sang his take over of the french kingdom

he was general the key and walls were his lost in russia russia was the undefeated wall

the castle was his army pillars of slat was regret and pillars of sand was weakness

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing

For some reason I can not explain

Once you've gone there was never, never an honest word

the bells and sings was the celebration of his lost kingdom

my mirror sword and shield is him asking french to help him

missionary is self explanatory

the once you've gone " his army" never in an honest word "not possible to defeat the Russian in the middle of winter as well as not trusting his own judgment"

when i ruled the world he lost his kingdom he had Europe Asia and Africa

t was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in.

People could not believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries Wait

Oh who would ever want to be king?

wind and blew doors down was the winters of Russia so his army lost moral

Shattered windows is the beginning of the french revolution and the people saw his lust of power

Revolutionaries Wait for him to be killed and him to be presented on a silver plate

the puppet and who would want to be king is the end of his rule are the revolution

I know Saint Peter won't call my name

he knew he would die and never get to heaven for all the evil things he did

It all fits dosent it?

• 2 weeks later...

Um guyz.

The song is obviously about King Louis XVI of France. France was extremely powerful at that time and then the revolutionaries came along and such because he wasn't a good king. Notice the French Flag on the Album cover.

You are wrong wrong unless you though it was about just about plane old revolutionaries.

"Bassist Guy Berryman explained to Q magazine July 2008 about this song that features lyrics about cavalries, missionaries and kings: "It's a story about a king who's lost his kingdom, and all the album's artwork is based on the idea of revolutionaries and guerrillas. There's this slightly anti-authoritarian viewpoint that's crept into some of the lyrics and it's some of the payoff between being surrounded by governments on one side, but also we're human beings with emotions and we're all going to die and the stupidity of what we have to put up with every day. Hence the album title."

Q magazine asked Chris Martin about the lyric on this song "I know Saint Peter won't call my name." The Coldplay lead singer replied: "It's about… You're not on the list. I was a naughty boy. It's always fascinated me that idea of finishing your life and then being analyzed on it. And it's that runs through most religions. That's why people blow up buildings. Because they think they're going to get lots of virgins. I always feel like saying, Just join a band (cackles head off). That is the most frightening thing you could possibly say to somebody. Eternal damnation. I know about this stuff because I studied it. I was into it all. I know it. It's still mildly terrifying to me. And this is serious."

Drummer Will Champion told Q magazine February 2008 that many of the tracks on the album share a theme of "trying to remember what's important in your life, rather than being carried away by the trappings of other things.""

from the website http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=11520

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

peace

I think that Coldplay's song Viva La Vida is about the memoirs of Napoleon as he was writing them in his second Exile. The name alone, Viva La Vida cannot be directly translated, but by mixing translations of Spanish and French, it could mean Living the Empty Life. The Album cover is a French portrait made during the final French Revolution

I used to rule the world

Obviously a metaphor. It can be interpreted as many things, but mainly as Napoleon's rule and control of most of Europe.

Now in the morning I sweep alone

Napoleon was first exiled to Elba and disowned by the people. Again, a metaphor.

I used to roll the dice

Rolling the Dice, meaning he called the shots and took them. He was the most feared and hated man in all of Europe and Russia. "Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!" The old king being one of two people: King Louis XVI or Robespierre, who interpreted himself as a god of the Republic.

Napoleon was emperor of France and knew what was for her best interest, but the royalty of Europe did not like Napoleon because he was not of royal blood. "The walls were closed on me" represents Europe rebelling during his rule, ultimately forcing him into exile. "Castles stand upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand" meant that there was only false recognition of hope in the people, as they would go along with what the more powerful invading country had to offer, as Europe declared war on the people of France, which forced them to turn their back on their Emperor.

Roman Cavalry Choirs could mean his cooperation with the Holy Roman Empire. Jerusalem bells are ringing as he was greeted into Palestine and Israel.

This obviously represents the way Napoleon talked to his troops, and called them his missionaries because he told them that they were on a mission to serve their country France. He knew his soldiers by name.

For some reason I can't explain

Never an honest word may relate to his relations with the Czar of Russia, Czar Alexander I. They were good friends, but he betrayed him in the end because he did not want to join Napoleon's Empire.

Napoleon wasn't French. He was Corsican. He traveled to France after the demise of Robespierre and saw that the country was in ruins. He took advantage of this and joined the military. He went up in the ranks and soon became Consul of France, later emperor.

People couldn't believe what I'd become

The first line meaning the invasion of England, Russia, and Austria upon France. The Second line meaning the people couldn't believe that Napoleon expected the state of France to go up against the royal blood of Europe.

Revolutionaries Wait

Napoleon was forced into exile after France lost against the three invading Monarchies. Revolutionaries want to see him dead because of what he dragged France into. "Oh who would ever want to be king?" represents his doubts as he was writing his memoirs in exile.

I know Saint Peter will call my name

Napoleon used Roman Catholicism as a tool to win back the people of France. Under the reign of Robespierre, Catholicism was outlawed and the only religion was the Religion of the people, with Robespierre as the God. Napoleon gave back to the people what Robespierre took from them, but this should have been frowned upon by the Catholic Church, but the Pope said France could be re- entered into the church if Napoleon offers him protection and land. Napoleon did it for the advancement of France. He knew this was the right decision and was loved by the Pope. Saint Peter can be a metaphor for the Pope, being that he was the first pope. Pope Pius VII crowned Napoleon as Emperor, meaning he called his name.

That's my theory, but it may be wrong. I also like the Jesus interpretation. Hope this helps!

I think you guys have good analyzations of this song, but I just read a different interpretation on another site that the song is about King Louis XVI, and not Jesus, and it makes much more sense. Here is what was said:

1. The first verse obviously describes a loss of important, perhaps dictator-like power. Louis the XVI had absolute power over his people at his acceptance to the throne, but as he began to appoint new cabinets and groups to make decisions, he began to lose his say in any of the happenings of France. Part of the reason he appointed these was Louis was very unsure of himself (he often dealt with depression and feelings of no hope).

2. "Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!" Louis became king when his grandfather, Louis XV, died.

3. The third verse (about the "key" and "closed walls") also makes sense because Louis had the key to absolute power at first, but he eventually gave all his power away to advisers and party members, and he realized he really had no power at all. The metaphor of a castle on pillars of salt and pillars of sand reflects his indecisiveness and vulnerability all through his life as king, which ultimately led to many of his mistakes as king.

4. The images used in the chorus do correspond with the time period.

5. In the fourth verse, the most clear parallel is "sound of drums". Louis XVI attempted to make a speech before he was beheaded, but apparently he was cut off by a drumline.

6. The fifth verse fits very well with Louis the XVI. Revolutionaries were usually against Louis; several revolutionaries incited an attack of the Palace of Versailles to kill Louis's queen. Also, revolutionaries accused Louis of treason, and often used him as a scapegoat for things (which would explain the puppet line.)

7. When CP says "St. Peter won't call my name", obviously that means that the person in the song did not believe he belonged in heaven. Louis usually was depressed and hopeless about being king, which would explain how he thought he wouldn't even be accepted into heaven.

Do with that what you will, but I think I agree with this interpretation.

“Viva Dios”

"Viva Dios”

by Dr. Hesham Hassaballa

In the Name of God, The Subtle, The Loving

I, like millions of people all over this country and the world, am enthralled and intrigued by English alternative rock band Coldplay’s song “Viva La Vida.” I was first introduced to the song by the Apple iTunes commercial, which featured the song a few months back. The song was somehow familiar to me, even though it was first released June 2008.

Yet, the song itself is wonderful: excellent music seamlessly weaved together with intriguing and enigmatic lyrics. As I have said before, the true test of a good song (as well as all art, in general) is the degree to which it inspires reflection and further thinking. This song did so for me.

The song seems to speak about someone who has fallen from a position of power: someone who used to be king and is now deposed:

I used to rule the world

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemies eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing

“Now the old king is dead! Long live the King!”

Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

As I listen to the song, I imagine what is would be like to “rule the world,” to have the seas “rise when I gave the word.” I must admit, it felt unbelievable. Imagining myself possessing that kind of power stirred in me a feeling I never knew I could have: one that craved such unfettered power. We like to think that we are immune to the corrupting influence of absolute power, but alas, I am subject to the weaknesses and hypocrisies of the human condition.

So does, it seems, the subject of “Viva La Vida.” The former King seems to suggest that he liked his power too much and it corrupted him:

Blew down the doors to let me in

People could not believe what I’d become

Revolutionaries wait

Oh who would ever want to be King?

The answer to that last question is simple: lots, and lots, and lots of people.

There are people all over this world who would not shy from killing and torturing in order to become (or to continue to be) the king. It is the reason there is corruption in politics, corruption in religious leadership, corruption in family units: people enjoy absolute power too much. And once one gets this power, he or she is afraid to lose it.

Perhaps the king in the song is lamenting his loss of power? Perhaps he is repenting for his excesses while in power? Whatever the case may be, the song reminds me of an eternal fact in this world: there is only One King: the Precious Lord above. This world has sported many kings, but they have all faded (or will soon fade) away. There will be only One King left, Who will never fade away:

...the Day when they shall come forth [from death], with nothing of themselves hidden from God. With whom will sovereignty rest on that Day? With God, the One who holds absolute sway over all that exists! (40:16)

True dominion and sovereignty belongs only to God, even though He has allowed us to exert sovereignty over this world on a temporary basis. Even though we may think we have power over this earth, that we can do whatever we want, true power only belongs to the Lord God:

Say: “O God, Lord of all dominion! You grant dominion unto whom You will and take away dominion from whom You will; and You exalt whom You will and abase whom You will. In Your hand is all good. Verily, You have the power to do anything. (3:26)

Remember the encounter between King Nimrod and our master Abraham (pbuh)?

Are thou not aware of that [king] who argued with Abraham about his Sustainer, [simply] because God had granted him kingship? Lo! Abraham said: “My Sustainer is He who grants life and deals death.” [The king] replied: “I [too] grant life and deal death!” Said Abraham: “Verily, God causes the sun to rise in the east; cause it, then, to rise in the west!” Thereupon he who was bent on denying the truth remained dumbfounded: for God does not guide people who [deliberately] do wrong. (2:258)

Power deludes; power deceives; power, when given, can completely destroy a person: as it did the king in “Viva La Vida.”

I am tested with this power on a daily basis. I work in Critical Care Medicine. On countless occasions, I have been faced with patients in critical condition, for whom I had to make split-second decisions. I have placed tubes in countless patients’ windpipes, helping them breathe and “saving” them from death by asphyxiation. I have ordered countless medications that have helped patients get better and avoid death. So many times I have been thanked by loved ones for “saving the life” of the patient.

It is so very easy to slip into the thinking that it is I who does the healing; that it is my hand, my knowledge, my expertise that saves the patient from dying. It is so very easy for me to be like King Nimrod, who told Abraham (pbuh) “I [too] grant life and deal death!” It frightens me to the very core of my being.

I continuously remind myself that I do nothing. I am not the healer. I do not grant life and deal death. It is God that gives life and takes it away. I just fill out the paperwork. The moment I come to think it is I that “saves the lives” of my patients, it is time for me to leave medicine. I pray to the Precious that I never fail this test.

The sooner we realize that our castles truly do stand “upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand,” then we can take care not to abuse any power that we are given on earth. We must take care to be honest, good, and careful stewards of the power that is given to us. All power comes from the All-Powerful: it is a trust between us and He, and we must take the utmost care not to betray that trust.

If ever we are tested with hearing:

Jerusalem bells are ringing

We must be extremely careful not to let that delude us: that power is a blessing and test from the Lord, and He will call us to account for how we used that power. We must always remember that God is the only True King, and it is as Jesus Christ (pbuh) said: “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:10)

And if we seem to be able to do whatever we want on earth with impunity, we must always remember God’s word:

Let it not deceive thee that those who are bent on denying the truth (or those who are ungrateful) seem to be able to do as they please on earth: it is [but] a brief enjoyment, with hell thereafter as their goal - and how vile a resting place! (3:196-197)

Is it not better that we be honest stewards of power; for the good of all on earth?

http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/viva_dios/0016480

I like this song a lot. Personally to me I think it is a generalized reference to the royal powers of Europe during the enlightenment 17th century to WWI, with references to revolution, warfare, monarchy, religious piety, shifting of power, corruption, imperialism and the ultimate demise of that era and it's legacy in most of Europe

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

This song i feel can be directed at any king, obviously Coldplay was influenced by real kings....

"Now the old king is dead, long live the king!" - the king singing the song is describing how when he took power he obviously killed the last king and everyone rejoiced at him becoming king.

"And I discovered that my castle stand, upon pillars of salt, pillars of sand" - the king realized how his support was only because he held power.

~Favorite Line~ "Just a puppet on a lonely string, oh who would ever want to be king?" - referring to how his power was not real and he was only a figure head. He now realizes that the "king" was a false title and he had no power.

Hey, I'm sorry if there was an interpretation like this posted, but I haven't read through the entire thread yet (it's long!).

Note: It would be helpful in understanding this if you think of any biblical references as being simple allusions, the same as if they were to make allusion to Greco-Roman mythology.

I used to rule the world

Pretty basic here. He used to be important and powerful, but now he's on the bottom rung of society.

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemies eyes

Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand

The first two lines expand upon the previous section: he was able to crush his enemies. I think that the crowd's singing is the people rejoicing after any number of revolutions. This is my favorite line because of the irony inherent in it. "Now the old king is dead! Long live the king" seems to me to indicate that after a bloody revolution, things are different, yet the same (Note: I hadn't realized this was a biblical allusion! This may be wrong, but I still love it.) The further lines indicate the the one who revolted was revolted upon. Also, I'm not sure why none of the posts I read mentioned this, but the "pillar of salt" is Lot's wife! I'm not sure what it means, though... >.<

The first several lines sound so Christian that even I'm not sure of what it means now. (-_- <---staunch atheist) I think I'll come back to this once the line-by-line is done. Th final lines are, for some reason easier. I read them as this: I don't know why, but as soon I came to power, I lost my integrity, honesty and morals. This will tie into my main theory.

People could not believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries Wait

The first three lines describe the revolution that brought him to power. Blown-down doors and shattered windows create an image of a ravaged town, as does the sound of drums. The fourth line is like the final three lines of the chorus: I lost my integrity when I became powerful. Lines five and six describe the time before the revolution that ousted him. The final lines are just him being disillusioned.

I know Saint Peter won't call my name

Never an honest word

But that was when I ruled the world

Again with the being unsure about lines 1-4. The last four are easier for me than for other people for some reason: Because I was so horrible when I was in power, I won't go to heaven, or this could just be an allusion to illustrate the point that the narrator won't receive any more "blessings." I think that the BUT is the most distinctive word in this entire song: I was dishonest when I "ruled the world," but now that I'm a lowly peasant, I have my integrity back.

Right, now it's time for my theories about this song. I think that it's a commentary about most systems of government. Downtrodden serfs see a vision of a paradise where everyone is an equal, they revolt, oust the current monarch, and replace him. ("'Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!'" However, the new system stagnates and the new monarch becomes corrupted, causing other serfs to become unhappy. ( "People could not believe what I'd become" "never an honest word; That was when I ruled the world" "Revolutionaries wait, for my head on a silver plate" ) An example of this, in real life, would be the many dynasties of China. An old society would be overrun by invaders, who, over time, would become another bloated, old society, which would be invaded by more people, etc.

Expanding on the "Systems of Government" theory, this song is about how the narrator was corrupted by the power he hand held, despite his previous convictions. However, once he was removed from power, he found that he had returned to his former honesty. The message of this would be, of course, "Power Corrupts."

If you want to read into it even more (read into messages that aren't there :laugh3:), then this song could be supporting anarchy. In my interpretation, it comments on the uselessness and corruption inherent in all systems of government, no matter how pure the initial motives of those in power are. This could also explain the title: Viva la Vida. This could be an allusion to the famous line "Viva la revolucion!" which means "Live the revolution!" This song is about being disillusioned with both governments and revolutions telling people to simply "Live the life," without any rulers, instead of trying to make a system work.

P.S. Death and All His Friends is a reference to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Death, War, Pestilence, Famine, Victory, whatever they are.

I just realized that I have no explanation for the first part of the chorus.

HOLY **** THIS IS A LONG POST!

Power-ful song

Obviously this song really resonates with people, which is why it is so popular and why so many people want to delve into the meaning. It may be based on some real king, but the circumstances of rise and fall, corruption and abuse of power, being manipulated by others, regret for past wrongdoing, are all within the scope of anyone who's been in a position of power. We can relate to it, because even though we may have never really "ruled the world", most of us have had times when we felt like we did, even if only for a moment.

I hear a lot of disagreement about the line "I know St. Peter won't/will call my name. " I thougt it was "will" until I read lyrics on Coldplay's site. Now I listen, and yeah, I hear "won't". Does it change to "will" at the end? hard to tell. I thought about how it would change the meaning of the song. I don't think it really does, because the point of this line is just that the king is thinking of his death. Whether or not he believes he should be forgiven, he feels uncertain about how he should be judged, "for some reason I can't explain". That's something we can personally relate to, and why I think people hear what they want in that line of the song.

Just another thought, regarding the lines referring to Jerusalem bells and missionaries--I think this refers the the "noble cause" that the person in power used to inspire people to follow him. He uses this cause to justify his actions, but in the end, he is doubtful that St. Peter will buy that excuse.

Again, a situation that is not specific to any one king, or person in power.

@ mia1970

Your idea about the noble cause is a really good one. The words are inspirational, and I can imagine someone using something like that in a speech.

And, as I said, I think that the entire point of the song is that it could apply to any number of rulers.

Also, I did research into the circumstances around the album, and there are a lot of references to Latin America and the Mexican (I think?) revolution. The album cover is Liberty Leading the People, and I think that Viva la Revolucion comes from the Mexican Revolution.