✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Viva La Vida (song) meaning thread!

Coldplay gone catholic!?

If we analize the lyrics, the song has obvious biblical references and I think it's a song about Jesus Christ.

I used to rule the world

Seas would rise when I gave the word

Now in the morning I sweep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own

All catholics should know that Jesus Christ gave the word and he controlled the seas - I think that the line now in the morning I sweep alone clearly means that Jesus Christ was betrayed and had to endure many things alone! The first verse is talking about a decline from wealth and fame to a nobody, just like Jesus Christ experienced on his life! He used to be a king, but he had to die for all human beings..So on a certain way he turned over his kingship (I used to rule the world). Clear reference of someone giving God kingship over his life.

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing,

"Now the old king is dead, long live the king!"

One minute I held the key

Next the walls were closed on me

And I discovered that my castles stand

Upon pillars of salt, pillars of sand

The line upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand, possibly is a reference to the sermon on the mount where Jesus speaks of a wise man building is house on a rock while the foolish man builds his house on the sand, only to be washed away.

Those days, there were different kings! Ones thought the king was Jesus Christ himself, others thought the king was the Roman authority and other thought the king was the Jewish priests.

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing

Roman Cavalry choirs are singing

Be my mirror my sword and shield

My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain

Once you know there was never, never an honest word

That was when I ruled the world

Jerusalem bells and Roman Cavalry, it's obvious it's a biblical allusion. I think the line Be my mirror my sword and shield, it's a praying to God for strength. Also, the line my missionaries in a foreign field, has to do with the idea of taking the message of God and Jesus Christ all around the world. Finally, never an honest word, meaning the betrayal to Jesus Christ and his subsequent death.

I know St. Peter will call my name, referring to the fact of being admitted to heaven!

It was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in

Shattered windows and the sound of drums

People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever wanna be king?

This could be a reference to John the Baptist of the New Testament.

In The Book of Mark, John is noted as the one that comes before Jesus to announce His coming to Earth. A lot of people thought he (John) was going to be their Messiah, however he corrected them and told them that it was the One after him that would fill that role. I, also, argue that point because it is said somewhere that John's head was brought to king Herod on a Silver Platter.

Blew down the doors to let me in, meaning when Jesus Christ got furious because they turned the temple into a market!

What do YOU think?

Cheers!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an old interview, Martin is said to read the Bible regularly, and all four members profess "admiration for Christian beliefs." Martin once told the New York Daily News that he's never "rebelled against his mother's Christian faith," but in another interview he said he "used to be a Christian." In a more recent interview with Entertainment Weekly.com, Martin said, "I'm not agnostic, because I definitely believe in God." But he went on to say he doesn't necessarily believe in a specific religion, and added this bizarre observation: "There's some powers around, whatever they might be. I mean, if there's human beings who can stare at goats and make them die, then there's big forces out there somewhere. You know what I mean?"

http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/glimpses/2005/xandy.html

i think you are right that is about jesus christ, but you are judging it wrongly the escapist... the correct is to say that is a a Christian one, you obviously say that is a catholic one because you have been grown as a catholic, am i right?

the religious differences are not that distant imo, but the correct is to say christian and more that the song is speaking about jesus christ.

and i like that they do it, if the album is about rebelion an social movements, out of being or not a christian or a believer, just taking into account jesus from nazaret as a human being, he was a revolutionary man, that's why he was accused and sentenced, romans feared his powers, his human powers of make many people follow and do what he thinks.

recently i've been thinking that the heroe for any social movement, the first one should be Jesus of Nazaret, no matter of the religious side, i think he would had been an interesting person to meet just for this rebel thing he did.

i'm glad that at least a band recognize it. :)

Biblical References do not equal being deluded/religious (synonymous).

They are populist ways of getting across a point.

In 'Viva La Vida' the point is that power and control corrupts.

You hit the nail on the head.

The song seems to me to be about the Roman conquest of Jerusalem more than anything. Perhaps Chris is writing the song from the perspective of a Roman emperor during this time period. Also, I think the song could also be alluding heavily to the Crusades.

The song seems to me to be about the Roman conquest of Jerusalem more than anything. Perhaps Chris is writing the song from the perspective of a Roman emperor during this time period. Also, I think the song could also be alluding heavily to the Crusades.

you are also right... i think that 3 interpretations can be correct, them all are related in some way...

jesus christ was in times of Roman Empire, and later his movement, did the crusades, so anyways the connection is Jesus Christ, as the beging and the end... before him was the roman empire, after him were the crusades :)

i think it is about how one minute you are riding high and the next you are the lowest of low...

I agree, riding high then falling low. The religious references might be part of trying to cope with failing, many people will turn to religion when things go bad.

But as Chris said with Violet Hill, it could mean whatever you want it to mean.

Wiki doesn't say, but it does say that Chris studied Ancient Worlds, and Will studied Anthropology.

Once i read that Chris comes from a religious family..

is that true? cause maybe he has a lot of influence from religion..

I like the lyric and i think it has an intertextual relation with the Bible

the first time I read the lyric, the part hat says "Seas would rise when I gave the word" I inmediatly thought about Moses and the jewish people coming out form the desert.

how do you get to the name "Viva La Vida" from all these meanings?

It doesn't exactly say "Viva la Vida" in the spanish meaning..

cause the song says "Now the old king is dead, Long live the king"

Long Live the king = Larga Vida al Rey

Long Live the king (almost like) Viva la Vida