✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Viva La Vida (song) meaning thread!

Good grief people! its nothing about Jesus, Moses, or any specific religious directions!!!! And it may not even be referring to specific historic events or persona's. But far closer to that then Biblical events.

Its simply a mediphor told in first person about being on top of the world, maybe like that of a king, or celebrity, or something like that. Then its all taken away, all gone and your back to just being a nobody, a nothing, someone without worth. Or at least FEEL worthless.

For example: /I know Saint Peter won't call my name/

Saint Peter is known to have been given the keys to the gates of Heaven. So, its said that when you die, Saint Peter would call your name to enter Heaven or not.

Another example: I hear Jeruselum's bell's a ringing/Roman Calvary chores are singing/

Again, can very simply be visual language that puts the idea of something of a big deal. You know like what you might see on film, a king marching into his kingdom or like that of the return of a hero or something like that.

Sure there are Biblical references, and historic references, but it is very likely they were melodic, rhythmic, and poetic ways of telling a story through song.

JEEEZ! I'm tired of hearing all these weird and ignorant filled interpretations all over the net.

Dude, not to be a piss ant but you could just as easily be accused of the very same thing:dozey:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed.

I agree with several other people on here. As for the people who are wondering WHY we are decoding this song, who knows? It's a great song and the lyrics puzzled me; I wanted to figure out what they were about. You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to - you can just listen to the song and enjoy it. That's cool too. But I think there are several parallels between Louis the XVI's beheading and the song. Here are a couple:

- The first verse obviously describes a loss of important, perhaps dictator-like power. Louis the XVI had absolute power over his people at his acceptance to the thrown, but as he began to appoint new cabinets and groups to make decisions, he began to lose his say in any of the happenings of France. Part of the reason he appointed these was Louis was very unsure of himself (he often dealt with depression and feelings of no hope).

- "Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!" Louis became king when his grandfather, Louis XV, died.

- The third verse (about the "key" and "closed walls") also makes sense because Louis had the key to absolute power at first, but he eventually gave all his power away to advisers and party members, and he realized he really had no power at all. The metaphor of a castle on pillars of salt and pillars of sand reflects his indecisiveness and vulnerability all through his life as king, which ultimately led to many of his mistakes as king.

- The images used in the chorus does correspond with the time period...

- In the fourth verse, the most clear parallel is "sound of drums". Louis XVI attempted to make a speech before he was beheaded, but apparently he was cut off by a drumline.

- The fifth verse fits very well with Louis the XVI. Revolutionaries were usually against Louis; several revolutionaries incited an attack of the Palace of Versailles to kill Louis's queen. Also, revolutionaries accused Louis of treason, and often used him as a scapegoat for things (which would explain the puppet line.)

- When CP says "St. Peter won't call my name", obviously that means that the person in the song did not believe he belonged in heaven. Louis usually was depressed and hopeless about being king, which would explain how he thought he wouldn't even be accepted into heaven.

Overall, I think the song fits best with Louis the XVI, though you can argue there are some more historical references and parallels. Louis was always seen as a guy with good intentions, just not the guts and leadership to follow through as king. Makes you pity him a bit. I can't exactly say what how the song is relating to us, but perhaps it's telling a message of how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Sorry for the lengthy response. :P

• 2 weeks later...

yeah it is very interesting and very intiitive of you but in my opinion I love the lyrics and I think is one of the best coldplay songs ever written, one of my best songs ever aswell, it's absolutely spell binding and spine tingling!

To me the song felt like a "coming of age" song where the speaker is looking at the new young turks and pondering about when he or "his peers" ruled the world.

And how for all the benefits of youth, one wouldn't really want that gig again.

just my two cents,

Lenore

Thazsar's opinion on the meaning of Viva La Vida

I think this song is definitely religious based but I am not sure if it is focused on Christian or Jewish faith. This song reminds me of a person that has been converted to a follower of God. Here are my reasons:

I used to rule the world

Seas would rise when I gave the word

Now in the morning I sweep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own

As famous musicians, Coldplay has gained superstar status and probably felt like they were on top of the world. Since becoming a believer, they realize that they must be servants to the world (sweep the streets I used to own) even though most of their friends do not know what it means to be a true believer (sleep alone).

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing,

"Now the old king is dead, long live the king!"

One minute I held the key

Next the walls were closed on me

And I discovered that my castles stand

Upon pillars of salt, pillars of sand

-The ‘dice and enemy’ lines refer to the evil and careless lives they used to live.

-Now that they are converted, though, the 'old king' (aka themselves) has been replaced by the 'new king' (aka God).

-The term 'key' means that they used to think they knew everything but now realize that their ‘old’ world collapsed because their foundation was built upon salt/sand instead of rock (God).

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing

Roman Cavalry choirs are singing

Be my mirror my sword and shield

My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain

Once you know there was never, never an honest word

That was when I ruled the world

1. -‘Jerusalem bells, Roman Choir’ symbolizes Heaven ringing its bells and the angels singing because a person has been saved!

2. -The ‘mirror’ refers to wanting to be a reflection of God unto the world

3. -The ‘sword’ is our tongue. They want to speak the truth about God

4. -The ’shield’ is for protection from evil

5. -Missionaries (self explanatory)

6. -“Once you know (the truth) there was never, never an honest word (‘an honest word” spoken as a nonbeliever) …when I (used to) ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in

Shattered windows and the sound of drums

People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever wanna be king?

-The first three lines are speaking of the conversion process. Having your eyes opened to God/being saved makes you feel like the world is in motion!

-“People couldn't believe what I'd become” means that his friends/family are surprised to find out he has converted. Also, most of these people do not understand what he has discovered.

-The ‘head on a silver plate’ probably refers to John the Baptist (which makes me think this is Christian oriented) although it could also mean that he will be under a microscope to act according to his faith. The media LOVES to bash a Christian and they will certainly be watching for a popular Christian to mess up.

-Again, ‘puppet/lonely string’ is about being amongst people that do not understand what it is to be a true believer.

-Lastly, “Oh who would ever wanna be king?” is in regards to himself. In the past, he thought he was the king of his world but now sees that he can’t fix everything. *This is ironic since he previously thought he could ‘Fix You!’ Now that he sees this, why would he want to be king and try to clean up the mess we have created for ourselves? Instead, he finally understands that the only one that can fix everything is God.

The remaining choruses say “Saint Peter won’t call my name.” I liked the comment about Peter denying Jesus 3 times but I think this verse is in regards to the singer. Since he knows that he has lived a sinful life, he thinks that he is not worthy enough for Peter to call him. In fact, Peter would be delighted to have him by his side. This was the only part of the song that gave me trouble when interpreting it. Originally, I thought it said that “St. Peter WILL call my name.” This would make more sense but whatever….this is just my opinion!

Hope I didn’t bore you too much and God Bless!

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." PROVERBS 27:17

Insightful interpretation.

Great job, indeed.

Welcome on board Thazsar !

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward" Matthew 10:42

Look at the chorus

The song is from the perspective of any/all the "kings" looking back at how their lives were lived (how their "vidas" were "viva'd"). Each verse could refer to one or more historical figures, Louis XIV/Napoleon/etc, but the song is not about any particular one. It's poetry not history. (And a "king" for this could be anyone who actually was a king or who just felt like they had it all.)

The chorus is important to understanding the song and starts with a focus one very important "king", in fact one often called the "King of Kings".

"I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing.

Roman calvary choirs are singing."

Cavalry or Calvary? Mixing these two words up is a very common mistake because of metathesis. The Romans were known for their infantry legions not their cavalry, but the Romans did crucify Jesus on Calvary Hill in Jerusalem. (I know what the official lyrics say and I know how it's sung, but Google "Roman cavalry" and the first page you find will tell you "As Romans were never considered exceptionally good horsemen, and the role of the cavalry not as important in the Roman thought process, the Equitatus was generally made up of non-Roman horsemen." )

"Be my mirror my sword and shield"

My missionaries in a foreign field."

This directly echos the Bible (Ephesians) referring to "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" and the "shield of faith". Jesus' disciples are his missionaries who he wants to "reflect" his message to the world even after he is gone.

But this is not a religious song as such. The second half of the chorus is more general about how those in power cannot trust the advice they receive nor can they be trusted to speak honestly themselves when looking to protect their power. And in the end, they will know if they have lived a life that would expect to be let into heaven for--and I think it's more about the feeling of the "king" looking back on how he now judges his own life not about whether Saint Peter would literally let him into heaven.

And it's one of my very favorite songs! Well done.

Coldplay did an interview on Nova 96.9, a radio station here in Sydney, Australia a few days ago. When they were asked about Viva La Vida, the band basically explained that it was all about power and loss of power etc, but at the end, Will Champion, I think it was, coughed, "French Revolution"...

Kobe Bryant

Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Lyric from metrolyrics.com

I used to rule the world

Now in the morning I sweep alone

"Used to rule the world" = king... KB = MVP, king of the NBA.

"Seas would rise" = splitting the seas like Mosses... possibly splitting the defense as KB take it to the hoop.

"sweep alone" = lost the Finals, loss all attention from fans

"Sweep the streets I used to own" = used to dominate (own) the court (street), now humiliated bowing (sweeping) to the the new champions.

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing:

"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

"roll the dice" = gamble, clutch shooter !!!

"Feel the fear in the enemy's eyes" = opponents fear him when he handles the ball at the last minute/second

"Crowd would sing" = Celtics' fans cheering

"Old king is dead, long live the king" = KB is not the best anymore, new king is the Finals' MVP... Allen, KG, or Pierce

One minute I held the key

Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

"One minute I held the key" = the Lakers had a good chance of winning when the Finals started.

"Walls were closed on me" = Boston's defense closing in choking the life out of KB, low FG%.

"castles stand upon pillars of salt / sand" = no support, no back up, no Odom, no Gasol, no bench... no one stood up to help out.

Once you go there was never, never an honest word

That was when I ruled the world

"Jerusalem bells ringing" = whistle marking the end of the game, the Finals.

"Roman Cavalry choirs are singing" = Celtics' fans roaring upon their team winning the championship

"mirror/sword/shield" = experience, skills, and leadership

"missionaries in a foreign field" = playing away from home in Boston

It was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in.

People couldn't believe what I'd become

"wicked and wild wind" = rigged trade, Gasol !!!

"blew down doors to let me in" = this trade (wind) gave Lakers hope (to let me in)

"shattered windows / sound of drums" = Lakers' fans' hope and dream of another championship broken/shattered

"people couldn't believe what I'd become" = how badly KB had played (what we saw in game 4)

Revolutionaries wait

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever want to be king?

"revolutionaries wait" = Celtics can smell the championship

"head on silver plate" = ending Lakers' season

"puppet on a lonely string" = loss of attention, loss of respect

"who would ever want to be king?" = why MVP when can't win the championship

I know Saint Peter won't call my name

Never an honest word

But that was when I ruled the world

ooooo ooooo ooooo oooooo ooooo

(repeat with chorus)

This is just for fun... I'm not trying to dis KB, the Lakers or their fans.

Hope you guys enjoyed the post. This thread is the reason I signed up for this forum.

I have read all the pages of this thread, and I am amazed that no one has tought of the first person in this song to be God himself as seen by the roman catholics. How he used to rule the world, give rise to seas (Noa's flood) and have an empire controlled by fear (hell).

The first verse tells how he used to stand high up, and now has fallen from grace considerably.

Second and third verse tell about how the power was held in place. By fear as the pillars of salt reference tells of Sodom and Gomorrah, wich were obliterated by God. All people looking back were turned into pillars of salt.

Chorus

Roman cavalry, is the vatican, the last bastion of power of the catholics. Onc eyou go there ther was never an honest word. That is catholics right there.

Revolutionaries are the free thinkers , who turn away from God and are jumping to see God's power end completely (head on a plate). Who wants to be the God (king) of this wicked world anymore?

Jesus himself was merely a puppet of God , and never was power hungry.

Just my two cents.

Not a "Catholic" meaning

I believe you might have a few things mistaken about this song. I too am very interested as to why Chris has chosen the theme he has. But Catholic theology is actually very different and sometimes even opposes Christian theology which better fits the song. (seeing as Catholicism is replacement theology, which states Jerusalem has no place in the new kingdom of God, which by the was is totally off. And it states that salvation comes through works, thus nullifying the sacrifice that Christ made on the cross and thus making belief in him pointless.)

Secondly the lyrics clearly say "I know saint peter WONT call my name".

And Christ does not need St. Peter or better known, just plain Peter to call his name, entrance to Heaven does not depend on Peter is depends on God, and Jesus is God so he would not need Peter to call his name in acceptance.

Chris Martin also has a tendency of being congruent with his songs. This song if taken as it being about Jesus is all over the place, and the whole thing about John the Baptist does not fit in at all.

I am not saying you are wrong, I just doubt it.

I do believe the song is about some one in power who lost it. Perhaps the Czar of Russia who was almost defeated by Napoleon. I am not sure but when he says, "they can't believe what I've become" and "Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate" better fits the state of Russia at the time.

I am not sure, I hope Chris later tells us the meaning because I believe it is one of his best work.

I just found this.... I believe they are right on

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

It is a very literal interpretational ballad of Napoleon in the moments before his death in exile. I believe it is on Napoleon because of the Heavy French Classical influence coursing through the song as well as the Album cover, being a French Revolutionary Painting. Who else in France had a shot at ruling the world?

The first three verses are where he recounts his former glory ("Old king is dead, long live the king") when he was going to rule the world, and how he held such power over his enemy. ("I used to rule the world/ Roll the dice") And then he tells of his downfall, when he sees that he cannot rule the world, and how he has become the lowest.("Now in the morning/ sweep the streets I used to own/ the walls were closed on me") Sweeping is a nobody job, so He is saying that he is now a nobody.

The chorus, which varies progressively, is a realization that he sees his own death. (Bells and Choirs would ring and sing, respectively, during a Funeral Procession, in some cases) "Mirror Sword and Shield" could mean that he is awaiting heaven, since the three are very Christian symbols. "Missionaries" is another Christian allusion, but appears to be useless, unless referring to that he is asking that a room in Heaven be prepared for him. "For Some Reason I can't explain, once you go..." appears to be a filler line, since it takes a different meaning later on. "That was when I ruled the world" is just a reprising line that sounds good. It restates that he no longer is glorious, and will die soon.

All the way from "Wicked and Wild wind" to "Oh who would ever want to be king" is a remembrance of his own rise to power and use of it. Also, because the French would Execute using the Guillotine, the "head on a silver plate" line also is an Allusion to Napoleonic France, as well as John the Baptist's death.

The second Chorus is the same, save for the line, "I know saint peter won't call my name". this is Napoleon saying he won't go to heaven since he was a tyrant. Saint Peter calling a name is symbolic of dying and going to Heaven.

There is an instrumental bridge where I suppose you could say Napoleon realizes death is inevitable, and accepts it, while the music becomes stronger.

The final Chorus has the change of "I know Saint peter won't call my name" to "I know Saint Peter WILL call my name" Saying that Napoleon accepts his death. You can imagine Napoleon Closing his eyes at the words "When I ruled the world"

The song ends with a choir singing the main chords in harmony, in a sad, thoughtful fadeout, suggesting Napoleon is dead.

3 weeks ago

Source(s):

It's pretty logical if you think about it.

I agree with several other people on here. As for the people who are wondering WHY we are decoding this song, who knows? It's a great song and the lyrics puzzled me; I wanted to figure out what they were about. You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to - you can just listen to the song and enjoy it. That's cool too. But I think there are several parallels between Louis the XVI's beheading and the song. Here are a couple:

- The first verse obviously describes a loss of important, perhaps dictator-like power. Louis the XVI had absolute power over his people at his acceptance to the thrown, but as he began to appoint new cabinets and groups to make decisions, he began to lose his say in any of the happenings of France. Part of the reason he appointed these was Louis was very unsure of himself (he often dealt with depression and feelings of no hope).

- "Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!" Louis became king when his grandfather, Louis XV, died.

- The third verse (about the "key" and "closed walls") also makes sense because Louis had the key to absolute power at first, but he eventually gave all his power away to advisers and party members, and he realized he really had no power at all. The metaphor of a castle on pillars of salt and pillars of sand reflects his indecisiveness and vulnerability all through his life as king, which ultimately led to many of his mistakes as king.

- The images used in the chorus does correspond with the time period...

- In the fourth verse, the most clear parallel is "sound of drums". Louis XVI attempted to make a speech before he was beheaded, but apparently he was cut off by a drumline.

- The fifth verse fits very well with Louis the XVI. Revolutionaries were usually against Louis; several revolutionaries incited an attack of the Palace of Versailles to kill Louis's queen. Also, revolutionaries accused Louis of treason, and often used him as a scapegoat for things (which would explain the puppet line.)

- When CP says "St. Peter won't call my name", obviously that means that the person in the song did not believe he belonged in heaven. Louis usually was depressed and hopeless about being king, which would explain how he thought he wouldn't even be accepted into heaven.

Overall, I think the song fits best with Louis the XVI, though you can argue there are some more historical references and parallels. Louis was always seen as a guy with good intentions, just not the guts and leadership to follow through as king. Makes you pity him a bit. I can't exactly say what how the song is relating to us, but perhaps it's telling a message of how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Sorry for the lengthy response. :P

The post above is EXACTLY what this song refers to. It can't refer to Napoleon Bonaparte because he was never disliked by the French people and only went into exile due to the extreame circumstances after his defeat. The picture on the front of the album was painted about the French Revolution. Viva la Vida is derived from Viva la France the call card of the French National Guard headed by Marquis de la Fayette (the same one from the American Revolution). I am a devout confirmed Catholic and I can't defend the Catholic theory behind the song. In all likelyhood Coldplay is majorally Anglican.

This is my first and last post so don't argue it, use it as fodder for further conversation.

Actually, i thougt that when i heard the song, it 's a reaction to people who kills others for their statues, and they use "religions", they try to brainwash. I think, this song a reaction for all of them.

The post above is EXACTLY what this song refers to. It can't refer to Napoleon Bonaparte because he was never disliked by the French people and only went into exile due to the extreame circumstances after his defeat. The picture on the front of the album was painted about the French Revolution. Viva la Vida is derived from Viva la France the call card of the French National Guard headed by Marquis de la Fayette (the same one from the American Revolution). I am a devout confirmed Catholic and I can't defend the Catholic theory behind the song. In all likelyhood Coldplay is majorally Anglican.

This is my first and last post so don't argue it, use it as fodder for further conversation.

I'm gonna reply anyway for conversation's sake. :)

While the most obvious references are the French revolution ones, in m yopinion thats where they fail. They are too common sense and in your face. The Viva la Vida name comes directly from Frida Khalo's painting of the same name. And while it does play the revolution theme, I still have the opininion that it is the (catholic) God fallen from grace, using french revolution elements as metaphors.

The funny thing is, that I go to sleep and wake up with this song in my head, It definitely is my favorite song in this album. However whenever I listen to White Shadows, when the chorus comes I ALWAYS get goosebumps, even after all these years.

My point being that the revolution theme is just too logical and wouldn't be as tought trough compared to a broader metaphorical meaning.

I'm gonna reply anyway for conversation's sake. :)

While the most obvious references are the French revolution ones, in m yopinion thats where they fail. They are too common sense and in your face. The Viva la Vida name comes directly from Frida Khalo's painting of the same name. And while it does play the revolution theme, I still have the opininion that it is the (catholic) God fallen from grace, using french revolution elements as metaphors.

The funny thing is, that I go to sleep and wake up with this song in my head, It definitely is my favorite song in this album. However whenever I listen to White Shadows, when the chorus comes I ALWAYS get goosebumps, even after all these years.

My point being that the revolution theme is just too logical and wouldn't be as tought trough compared to a broader metaphorical meaning.

Sorry if someone has said something along these lines already, but here's my idea:

I think that the Coldplay song ‘Viva la Vida’ directly refers to the July Revolution of 1830 in France, which led to the abdication of Charles X. Here’s why:

1) Charles X “used to rule the world” – he was the ruling “King” over a large French Empire, and the “seas would rise” when he gave the word due to the strength of the French Navy.

2) He came to power following the death of his brother (Louis XVIII) – “the old king is dead, long live the king!”

3) He was presented the “Key” to Paris by the Compte de Chabral, whom stated; “Proud to possess its new king, Paris can aspire to become the queen of cities by its magnificence, as its people aspire to be foremost in its fidelity, its devotion, and its love”. Thus, he “once held the key”, during a period when the outlook for his reign was bright, and he was popular (“the crowd would sing”).

4) One of the reasons he became unpopular (and the most prominent) was his pandering to the Catholic Church, and notably the Anti-Sacrilege Act. He was seen to be destroying the equality of religious belief. This accounts in part for Jerusalem Bells and Roman Cavalry Choirs.

5) Furthermore, towards the end of his reign he sent troops to invade Algeria in an attempt to increase his popularity. Algeria is predominantly Muslim, and this act also accounts for Roman Cavalry Choirs, the sword and shield etc, and his missionaries (similar to the crusades).

6) He knows Saint Peter won’t call his name, but he doesn’t understand why. I think this means that although he believes in his actions that he also realises that he has done something wrong. He may not be sure what he has done wrong, or is not fully prepared to admit it to himself, but he has some realisation of it.

7) The song is reflective – he is still alive (Charles abdicated, he was not executed – although during rioting in Paris and political revolutionaries did want his “head on a silver plate”.

8) “Shattered windows and the sound of drums” represents the rioting in Paris that occurred.

9) The cover art of the album (which is obviously also the song title) is La Liberté guidant le people (Liberty leading the people) by Eugene Delacroix – a piece of artwork painted specifically to commemorate the July Revolution of 1830.

Clearly this is all fairly self-explanatory, and there are clear links to today’s political and religious climate, particularly; the erosion of religious and societal equality in numerous states across the world; the misuse of power by those who truly believe what they are doing is right yet cannot understand why they are not heralded; and the ultimate realisation that the world is fluid and things can and will change quickly in reaction to such injustices, hence pillars of salt and sand. As such I do not think the link to Charles X is of particular significance in its own right (although I do believe that is what the song directly refers to), more the lessons that can be drawn from this example and how they remain relevant 170 years on.

let me appologize right now for the length of this response.

I agree that there are several allusions to Catholicism in the song lyrics, however I would not go so far as to say that the lyrics revolve around Christ for several reasons.

1.) The lyrics "I hear Jerusalem bells ringing, Roman Calvary Choirs Singing, Be My Mirror my sword my shield, my missionaries in a foreign field, for some reason I can't explain I know St. Peter won't call my Name..." depict a time period after the life of Christ. There were no Roman Calvary Choirs during his life time and the practice of using bells for worship (even in Jerusalem) would not start until 400 years after Christ's life time.

a.) The Roman's didn't use them for Pagan worship.

b.) The jews didnt, and still dont, use bells in synagogues.

c.) Islam wasn't established until 600 years later.

A Roman Calvary Choir wouldn't be established until about 350a.d.

And, most importantly, St. Peter died AFTER Christ. Why would he call his name in heaven?

2.) The lyrics " It was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in

People couldn't believe what I'd become.

Revolutionaries wait

Just a puppet on a lonely string (Ooooh)

Ah, who would ever want to be king?" Can't reference Christ. When did he become evil, and as I recall HE was the Revolutionary.

3.) The lyrics "One minute I held the key

Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand " implies that the empire he lead fell. Think about it, the reference to salt implies that plant life died out (like in a famine), sand implies the empire fell. Yes, the reference about holding the keys compared to being betrayed with the walls closing in fit, but not with the rest of the song.

4.) The FINAL and most important lyrics to disprove the theory of this song being about Christ are the following:

"I used to rule the world

Now in the morning I sleep alone

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemies eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing:

"Now the old king is dead, long live the king!"

Notice it says USED to rule the world, didn't happen. As for the seas rising, Jesus walked on water, he didn't part it (I believe that was Moses). Sweeping the streets implies a fall from power. The line about rolling the dice implies taking a gamble to win, doesn't sound very Christ-like. Feeling the fear in his enemies eyes? He never fought, and certainly never used fear tactics. Listening to the crowd sing "Now the old king is dead, long live the King"? Last I checked Jesus was put on Earth to save humanity and spread the word of God, not replace him.

Sorry, it just doesn't fit.

To be honest I've been debating this one for a while and a European monarch seems for likely. One that commited terrible sins, lost those close to him (yes I'm making the assumption that it IS a man), wanted to atone but knew it wouldn't work. The leader had to live between about 476 A.D (fall of Rome. I dont think its a Roman ruler because they never had Kings, and even when Julie Caesar was in charge it was a Triumvirate, not a monarchy. Besides, Christianity would have to have a firm grip over Europe and since it was the only thing that kept society in order after the fall of Rome I think its safe to say that the referenced person came after Rome), if it was an English Monarch (which would make sense seeing as how the band is from England) it has to be someone between Richard the Lion Heart and Henry VIII (he ended Catholicism in England). If its French....we could go all the way from Clovis to Louis XVI. No German leader makes sense and the Italians were too corrupt most of the time to do much. Im discounting the Popes for obvious reasons. There is a VERY small chance its Mongke Khan (Grandson of Ghengis Khan) seeing as how he controlled the largest empire in the world before the British AND was a devout Catholic. But that's all I've got so far.

What I am trying to say is not that it is about Christ, but about God, the father of christ.

The metaphors do point in that direction, as heaven is the kingdom of God. I do not have the impression Coldplay would want to teach us a simple history lesson about French revolution but would like the listeners to read between the lines. A lot can be said without directly saying it.

What I am trying to say is not that it is about Christ, but about God, the father of christ.

This can't be correct.

Under Christian thought, God still rules the world - he never 'use' to as he still does

There's no wicked winds with God...

Sorry mate, it doesn't work.

...mmm bad :( slamming on a first post.

After reading many interpretations, I think the French revolution one is the most accurate.

The historial perspective one of Jesus doesn't work - the simple 'wickedness' bit is enough to say no. Furthermore, the "fear in my enemies eyes" among other things reinforces that, and the key... Jesus didn't really hold many keys, and walls didn't close on him.

I read one on Tiberius - again the historical perspective the guy used was incorrect and inconsistent, especially towards the end about Saint Peter. So as close as it is, no cigar

The others... No idea. But from what I read, it doesn't seem anywhere close to the Catholic church or Jesus.

I think Plato's

I think that the Coldplay song ‘Viva la Vida’ directly refers to the July Revolution of 1830 in France, which led to the abdication of Charles X
hits it right on the head. Every piece of the puzzle fits, and it's even reflected in the album cover! :D

I too agree with the 1830 revolution theory as it fits the song so well. When I first heard the song it brought to my mind the French revolution with the notion of revolutionaries and heads rolling etc.

I think the god idea is brought however intentionally or unintentially into the song via the idea of a ruler having a "divine right" to the thrown. The line "I know st. peter won't call my name" suggests to me that the protagonist of the song is acknowledging that either through dismissal of religion (as mentioned previously by Plato), or through poor leadership they arn't worthy to rule, as this traditionally required some form of "divine right".

"Death and all his friends" concludes this story with the line "I don't want to follow death and all of his friends" indicating that he didn't wish to be executed like the kings before him, and instead just "escape".

On a side note this album presents as a debate between life vs. death, much in the way "A Rush of Blood to the Head" featured a faith vs. science debate. Life is presented as glorious in Life in Technicolour, Strawberry Swing, Viva la Vida[live the life], etc. whereas Death is portrayed as mysterious, and overwhelming via Cemeteries of London, 42, and Death and all his friends.

I think a lot of people miss the point the with a lot of Coldplay songs. They can be enjoyed without thinking about the meaning for sure, but to me albums like "A Rush of Blood to the Head" are so more poignient if you dig a little bit deeper into the songs. Coldplay have being talking about their struggles with believing or not believing in god for years, "God put a smile on my face" was contrased with "The scientist". "Viva la Vida" once again tackles these sorts of issues however this time it is the simpler examination of Life and Death.