✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Viva La Vida (song) meaning thread!

You've taken bits and pieces of the song, and come to the conclusion that it is a reference to Jesus. However, the song isn't about Jesus at all, but rather about Napoleon. Here is an excellent analysis pulled from Yahoo Answers:

It is a very literal interpretational ballad of Napoleon in the moments before his death in exile. I believe it is on Napoleon because of the Heavy French Classical influence coursing through the song as well as the Album cover, being a French Revolutionary Painting. Who else in France had a shot at ruling the world?

The first three verses are where he recounts his former glory ("Old king is dead, long live the king") when he was going to rule the world, and how he held such power over his enemy. ("I used to rule the world/ Roll the dice") And then he tells of his downfall, when he sees that he cannot rule the world, and how he has become the lowest.("Now in the morning/ sweep the streets I used to own/ the walls were closed on me") Sweeping is a nobody job, so He is saying that he is now a nobody.

The chorus, which varies progressively, is a realization that he sees his own death. (Bells and Choirs would ring and sing, respectively, during a Funeral Procession, in some cases) "Mirror Sword and Shield" could mean that he is awaiting heaven, since the three are very Christian symbols. "Missionaries" is another Christian allusion, but appears to be useless, unless referring to that he is asking that a room in Heaven be prepared for him. "For Some Reason I can't explain, once you go..." appears to be a filler line, since it takes a different meaning later on. "That was when I ruled the world" is just a reprising line that sounds good. It restates that he no longer is glorious, and will die soon.

All the way from "Wicked and Wild wind" to "Oh who would ever want to be king" is a remembrance of his own rise to power and use of it. Also, because the French would Execute using the Guillotine, the "head on a silver plate" line also is an Allusion to Napoleonic France, as well as John the Baptist's death.

The second Chorus is the same, save for the line, "I know saint peter won't call my name". this is Napoleon saying he won't go to heaven since he was a tyrant. Saint Peter calling a name is symbolic of dying and going to Heaven.

There is an instrumental bridge where I suppose you could say Napoleon realizes death is inevitable, and accepts it, while the music becomes stronger.

The final Chorus has the change of "I know Saint peter won't call my name" to "I know Saint Peter WILL call my name" Saying that Napoleon accepts his death. You can imagine Napoleon Closing his eyes at the words "When I ruled the world"

The song ends with a choir singing the main chords in harmony, in a sad, thoughtful fadeout, suggesting Napoleon is dead.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your kinda right except for the last part when it says BLEW DOWN THE DOORS TO LET ME IN...i think it mean that when Jesus died he ascended...if Jesus didn't die on the cross for us...there would not be a heaven today....that is why it says blew down the doors and let me in because when he died for us he opened the gates of even hence Blew down the doors...and by opening the gates to heaven he simply let us in

I think it's a general warning to any and all politicians out there that people can turn on you in a heartbeat. And the life of a dethroned/disgraced politician sometimes ain't all that grand.

And even while you're in power you have to deal with lies ("...never an honest word...") and people pulling at you from every direction (...puppet on a string/who would want to be king...?")

It's a sad, yet brilliant song that anyone cnsidering a life of politics should heed.

The first time I heard this song I immediately thought of this monologue from the movie Patton:

"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."- Gen. George C. Patton

Yes, everything does fit to be about Jesus Christ...But I was researching it and the whole band said "It's a story about a king who's lost his kingdom, and all the album's artwork is based on the idea of revolutionaries and guerrillas. There's this slightly anti-authoritarian viewpoint that's crept into some of the lyrics and it's some of the payoff between being surrounded by governments on one side, but also we're human beings with emotions and we're all going to die and the stupidity of what we have to put up with every day. Hence the album title."....so if there is a hidden meaning of it being Jesus or some roman king back in the ages then they didn't meantion it....Hope I've helped....

I think that this thread is awfully narrow-minded and lacks independence. There's not a single alternative view here, so I'll start.

I believe the song is written about Napoleon Bonaparte's lifetime. I suspected it when I first heard the song, with lots of references to the French Revolution and the Christian references.

The first stanza sounds like Napoleon reminiscing while living out his capture and exile by the British following his magnificent fall from power.

The second stanza, with the idea of Napoleon as subject, they speak of Louis XVI's execution and Napoleon's takeover.

The third stanza discusses Napoleon's peak of power, holding the key to everything as emperor of his Empire. The following lines then go on to describe how Napoleon's Marshals mutinied him at the end of the War of the Sixth Coalition, resulting in his exile and effectively shutting him out of everything he used to own.

The chorus is most certainly a Christian reference, but is in this case a comparison for Napoleon's figurative crucifixion. He did a lot of incredibly beneficial things as ruler (namely, restoring order out of the Revolution and creating the Napoleonic Code), but in the end, people feared his influence far too much and deposed him from a seat of power. Perhaps the chorus is Napoleon reflecting on this thought that he is a Christ-like figure and imagines his own judgment at the end of his days similar to that of Christ’s end (He was a baptized and practicing Catholic), the other European nations like Rome persecuting Christ and his followers. Napoleon’s missionaries as his mirror, sword, and shield would most likely be the remnants of his armies and other supportive revolutionaries. (There was a long period following the reestablishment of the French monarchy that revolutionaries of Napoleon’s republic were still being rooted out, even going so far as rebuilding the city so rebels would no longer be able to barricade themselves in the narrow streets.) These missionaries could do a number of things: testify to his memory, speak of liberty, or advocate a new republic. Take your pick, it all happened.

The second portion of the chorus describes how power is the downfall of such prominent figures. Both Christ and Napoleon had rumors and sinister plots circulating behind their backs at the peak of their lifetime. “Once you go there” is likely saying that when one reaches the height of power, favor can turn to fear and dissent, regardless of how much everyone may seem to like you or how sterling your reputation may be.

Stanza four discusses Napoleon’s swift rise to power through the revolution, which was incredibly violent after Louis XVI was executed. Napoleon brought order to the chaos and many were at his feet for it. But it was that swift rise to power that would bring about his end.

The fifth stanza describes the Royalist revolutionaries that reinstated the monarchy and then had him shut out. For one who restored order out of a revolution, he was being revolted against now. The lonely string for the puppet (king) is the will of society, which all rulers are at the mercy of. Oh who would ever want to be king?

And then the chorus repeats, but with a new second line for the chorus’ second stanza. CRUCIAL MISTAKE on the original poster’s fault is that the “will” should be a “won’t.” Therefore, this song CANNOT be about Christ because I’m fairly certain that God (Christ=God on Earth) can let himself into Heaven again (and on that note, there weren’t any windows to break—4th stanza-- in Jerusalem during Christ’s time). This particular portion is Napoleon doubting that he will even be admitted into Heaven for his dissimilarities with Christ (sins: pride, greed, lying, believing himself to be like God), effectively separating the two views of the prominent figures. For his sins, he may not be rewarded in the same way.

Just an alternative little something to discuss…

btw, didn't cop that interpretation from another site. did it all out of personal research. i hate finding interpretations for songs before i create my own.

did some research on Napoleon with my hunch from a first listening and found to my surprise that my first impression was very plausible!

• 2 weeks later...

I really can't believe I hadn't seen this before, I just found it and hope it hasn't been posted, this is a video of Anton Corbijn talking about the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrbluLIiSpY&feature=related

From what he says it really was the original video for Enjoy the Silence that inspired this song, so is seems that everyone here has been too narrowminded about it, trying to tie it to a specific historical event. This video also explains why his version (which I personally liked better) wasn't realeased outside of the internet.

• 1 month later...

Viva La Vida

Live the Life

The song does not necessarily have to be about napoleon or Jesus but rather just a reflection of when you've lived the life and had it all.(money... wealth... power...love)

I think that a very famous celebrity even like Chris would be a good example to use in the song to help with its explination.

I used to rule the world

Seas would rise when I gave the word

Starts out on when he was young ....popular and had it all ... the women, power ,good life... Rule the world signifies having the world at his fingertips.. people admired and respected him ( seas would rise)- you can actually see him walking into a room and all the envious eyes of the crowds who longed to be in his place..... as he demands and holds their attention and admiration and respect

Now in the morning I sleep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own

Now you've lost it all and all the fame and glitz and glamor is gone and you've found yourself alone..... no fame... friends by your side and even the love of your life could have left you

(sweeping the streets I used to own) refers to know walking alone..... a sense of feeling LOST no more friends.... women.... fame and fortune... they've moved on to bigger and better things and left him all alone to pick up the peices

Now that the glitz and glamor has gone everyone is moved on

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Listen as the crowd would sing

"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

Used to roll the dice meaning call the shots ...... could command and demand attention from anyone and everyone in his presence and see the jealousy and fear and even hatred in the eyes of those who longed to be like him or in his place

But now (the old king is dead.).. some one else has stepped up and taken residence on the thrown... there's a new king in town...

One minute I held the key

Next the walls were closed on me

And I discovered that my castles stand

Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

one minute he had it all and in the wink of an eye its gone... although it might be a long time frame but to him it seems like yesterday when this all happened and now discovers that he's no longer the one in control and all he has left are nothing more than fading memories or like sands through the hour glass. Pillars of salt and sand because it was bound to end at some time and all he held dear and stood for was built on shallow beliefs which now are worthless

His whole world is just shattering and now tumbling down a and he now see's the price that has to be paid for fame and fortune

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing

Roman Cavalry choirs are singing

Be my mirror, my sword and shield

My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain

Once you go there was never

Never an honest word

And that was when I ruled the world

Chorus means that

the person has accepted their reality and fate and are now at peace with themselves

and with all that has happened and now seeks salvation with St. Peter calling his name and forgiveness for the shallow life he's led along with all of the horrible things that he has done when he was riding high (never an honest word and that was when I ruled the world)

It was the wicked and wild wind

Blew down the doors to let me in

Shattered windows and the sound of drums

People couldn't believe what I'd become

It was a stark cold reality that hit him in the face when he realised what has become of his life and someone more powerful is waiting to take over

Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever want to be king?

Ohh who would ever want to be so powerful and popular because look at the price that is paid in the process ... all the while of living the life he was a poppet with si strings being pulled so that he could impress his friends and others and make them happy and be supreme at any cost

But he has seen the error of his words and is seeking salvation and St. Peter would not have called his name back then because he was wicked and bad things he did ...

Now he's found salvation and St. Peter will call his name because he has sought forgiveness and he no longer feels alone... he has God and the Saints, propjets by his side ..................

This is my take on it and how I view the song when I'm listening to it

I agree with the escapist that the song has to do with Jesus Christ from a Catholic perspective. I drew the conclusion from the following excerpt which I read in wikipedia:

Coldplay took a break from recording and toured Latin America in early 2007, including shows in Chile, Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico. The band revealed that the album [Viva la Vida or Death and All his Friends] seemed to be shaping up with Hispanic influences, after having recorded in churches and other areas in Latin America and Spain during their tour.

The predominant religion in Latin America and Spain is Catholicism. Coldplay also mentions recording in churches which I am fairly certain were Catholic churches. In addition, the name of the song is in Spanish which is the predominant language in all of these countries except Brazil. Viva la Vida to me is a reference to Jesus Christ rising from the dead - long live life indeed. I think that if the song was about Napoleon, it wouldn't have so many Biblical allusions and the title would be in French. And even though Coldplay stated that the song is about a king losing his kingdom, I don't buy that. Of course they wouldn't admit the song is about Jesus or has religious undertones for fear that it would alienate a segment of their fan base. There could also be another marketing reason behind hiding the real meaning of the song.

The reference to Saint Peter is a Catholic allusion, given that Christians from other religions do not believe in saints like Catholics do. I also think that Ricardo was right on when he said that "For some reason I can't explain/I know Saint Peter won't call my name" is a reference to Peter denying Jesus 3 times. Listening to the song and researching the lyrics, I did not find a line that says "I know Saint Peter will call my name."

The line "Now in the morning I sleep alone" I think is actually ironic because while Jesus was in the garden of Gethsemane (during His agony), He asked a few of the apostles to stay awake and pray with Him, but they all fell asleep. So now in the morning hours before He was betrayed, He "slept" alone; He was alone because He was the only one awake and His apostles had no idea of the betrayal and suffering that were in store for Him and which He alone would endure. After Jesus was betrayed by Judas and was abandoned by the apostles (they fled when the Roman soldiers came for Him), His fate was decided when the people shouted for Barabbas to be freed and for Him to be crucified. Then He swept -walked the streets dragging a cross in a crimson robe- the streets He used to own.

The "Long Live the King" is an allusion to Jesus entering Jerusalem triumphantly on a donkey; a great multitude had gathered and laid down either their garments or palm fronds along the way. The enemy in the previous line "Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes" probably refers to the Jewish religious leaders who saw Jesus' triumphant entrance as a threat to their power. They felt threatened that so many believed Him to be the Messiah.

The lines "One minute I held the key/Next the walls were closed on me" have to do with Jesus' ministry and the end of it with His death and burial. Jesus held the key when He roamed the countryside preaching and performing miracles - people saw Him as the Messiah. The walls closed in on Him when He was buried in the tomb offered by Joseph of Arimethaea - a great stone was rolled to the aperture and Roman soldiers guarded the entrance. The line "And I discovered that my castles stand/Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand" can have a number of meanings. His castles stand upon pillars of salt and sand because His kingdom, as Jesus states, is not of this world. The cross on which Jesus was crucified had written on it "King of the Jews," but that king was crucified and therefore that kingdom could not stand. I also find the line to be ironic in that it could be a reference to when Jesus said to Peter: I for my part declare to you, you are 'Rock,' and on this rock I will build my church. So the castles are really a reference to the church and the pillars of salt and sand really refer to the Rock on which Jesus was to build His church (Saint Peter was the first pope) since Jesus knew that His kingdom was not an earthly one but a heavenly one and would not manifest itself via castles but through a church.

The chorus "Jerusalem bells and Roman Calvary" has to do with the Jewish religious leaders and the Roman soldiers (who caused Jesus further agony with a scourging, a crown of thorns, and taunting) feeling triumphant over Jesus' death. The next two lines "Be my mirror, my sword and shield/My missionaries in a foreign field" are a call for His apostles and other believers to spread His message, to be His missionaries by reflecting His teachings and fighting for His heavenly kingdom.

The next part of the chorus:

Once you go there was never

Never an honest word

highlights what can happen when the Shepherd leaves the flock and calls on others to tend to them. The line "Once you go there was never/Never an honest word" perhaps refers to the way the Catholic doctrine has handled His teachings, that the missionaries that were called upon to be His mirror, sword and shield have used lies, dishonesty, and other immoral methods to convert others.

The lines that include "wicked and wild wind" are probably a reference to the cleansing of the temple. In the Gospel of John, he describes the cleansing of the temple in the following manner:

And He found men in the

temple area who were selling cattle and sheep and

doves, and also the moneychangers who were doing

business. So He fashioned a whip out of cords, and

went into the temple and drove out the cattle and the

sheep, and he overturned the tables of the money

changers and He scattered their coins. And He went

up to those who were selling doves and said to them,

"Get these things out of here! How dare you turn My

Father's house into a marketplace!" Then His disciples

remembered what was written in the Scriptures,

"Zeal for Your house will consume me."

Thus, the lines "It was the wicked and wild wind" through "People couldn't believe what I'd become" refer to Jesus storming the temple, blowing down the doors and the disbelief some might have gone through in seeing Him in a rage and hearing Him shouting those words.

I agree with the person who wrote that the lines about the "head on a silver plate" are a reference to John the Baptist. He was ordered beheaded by king Herod at the request of Salome; Herod had promised her anything she asked for, even up to half of his kingdom.

The lines "Just a puppet on a lonely string/Oh who would ever want to be king?" again reflect Jesus' agony in the garden of Gethsemane. He is a puppet and God is the puppet master. The word "lonely" again reminds us that He alone will atone for the sins of man. The line stating "Oh who would ever want to be king?" are resonant of the words Jesus spoke when He asked His father to take this cup from Him - He would prefer not to go through all the suffering He knew was in store for Him. But in the end, Jesus (the puppet) does His father's bidding: Yet not my will but yours be done. Therefore, the references to the agony in the garden of Gethsemane bring the song full circle.

Finally, the chorus -Jerusalem bells and the Roman Cavalry choirs- is repeated 3 times and Jesus is said to have died at 3pm. And so the bells are ringing and choirs are singing to celebrate His death.

• 1 month later...

I won´t go that far as to conclude that this song is about Jesus, but I´m hard pressed to believe that some strong allegories to Jesus in this song are simple coincidence. The same goes for the red "V" in the shirt Chris Martin is wearing in the video, wich is located on one side, just like Jesus´s wound. The extended arms, his hand signs... etc. Not to mean these guys are evangelizing, guess they are just coldplaying.

You are all right, yet you are all wrong.

This post is pretty old...I just wanted to state my opinion real quick.

The song, to me, could mean about anything.

If I were to pin it down to a historical reference, I would choose Napolean because the cover is about the French Revolution.

The song could mean that once upon a time, you ruled the world. Not really ruled it, but you know, a lot of people looked up to you.

Seas would rise when I gave the word.

I reference this line to people.

But then the great life went down hill, the end.

Goodness, wouldn't it be easier if Coldplay just posted what the song was about?

Guest howyousawtheworld

The meaning Viva La Vida is as most of us know Live the life in spanish. The song is saying live your life, just not in the way this ruler/dictator did in the song.

As I said before this song is not about Jesus or Napoleon but about life and can be applied to anyone.

Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand

I know that all of us at some point in time can relate to this happening to them..... in some way whether it be a relationship.... a job.... a friendship

so just live the life who would ever wanna be a king.... up there so high and mighty never getting to enjoy the small and good parts of life....

• 1 month later...

Song cast to Chris thoughts during reading (he reads in the plane much).. A song about Napoleon... A song in which group with even more force show their size of their stale and cosmopolitism... The song which turns us faced to a life in the best it meaning! VIVA!!!

x_6b1c6cd4.jpg

-------------***---------------

Let me in on Wembley 19/09/09!

-------------***---------------

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BTW, just thought I should post this here.. These are the official lyrics from Coldplay.com:

I used to rule the world

Seas would rise when I gave the word

Now in the morning I sleep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Listened as the crowd would sing

Now the old king is dead long live the king

Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing

Roman cavalry choirs are singing

Missionaries in a foreign field

Once you'd gone there was never

Never an honest word

It was a wicked and wild wind

People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever want to be king?

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing

I know St Peter won't call my name

Never an honest word

But that was when I ruled the world

Hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing

Never an honest word

But that was when I ruled the world

• 2 weeks later...

What seems to make sense

I don't think this is referring to Jesus Christ--I think it's referring to Constantine, the first "Christian" Roman emperor.

Here's why: Constantine had a desire to visit Jerusalem and be baptized in the River Jordan, but put it off in order to be absolved from as much sin as possible. He didn't make it.

That accounts for a large portion of the chorus:

"I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing"

He wanted to visit the Jerusalem area--it was his dying wish

"Roman cavalry choirs are singing"

He had been a great military leader--and most of his troops remained loyal to him for life.

"Be my mirror, my sword and shield

My missionaries in a foreign field"

Constantine proclaimed religious tolerance, and founded the "Christian Byzantine Empire," which later split into the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches. He did a lot to spread Christianity.

"For some reason I can't explain

Never an honest word

But that was when I ruled the world"

He wasn't baptized as he wanted and as he felt he needed. He also lived a very violent life full of military campaigns, and even in times of peace he had to play the role of a traditional roman politician (which meant appease everyone by lying or get killed).

"It was a wicked and wild wind

People couldn't believe what I'd become"

The rulers before Constantine had a policy of religious oppression towards Christianity (this is where modern Christians get the fish symbol, as the ancient Christians used that to identify fellow members of the faith without revealing themselves to the Roman regime). Being Christian before Constantine meant you either rebelled against the government openly, or lived a very secretive life. Hence, from Constantine's view, when the Roman people refused to acknowledge Diocletian's rule and showed seeds of rebellion--his rise to power was made possible by wicked people and the ever shifting political landscape of Rome.

The last line probably refers to Constantine's abolishment of the Tetrachy (a four-sided military governing regime).

Constantine also put down two very large rebellions and three civil wars, hence:

"Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate"

Not to mention the name of the song is Latin--the language spoken at Constantine's time (Christ would have spoken Aramaic, Hebrew, or Greek).

So, there you go, I don't rightly know how to explain the first lines, other than a "could be" Constantine's last thoughts, since he died in a suburb of Rome before he could make it back to the palace.

• 4 weeks later...