✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

13-Nov-08: Kansas City - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 09-Jul]

ah excited for you guys!

ill tell ya, im addicted to being on these boards when theres a show going on somewhere else... helps my withdrawal symptoms a little bit lol. the other night i told my brother i had to get home quick cuz there was a coldplay show tonight. and hes like "what, youre going to another one!?" and im like "just vicariously" =)

he thinks im crazy.

edit// what's the time difference? im really bad with time zones =\

Central is 1hr behind Eastern. So if the show starts at 8 here it will be 9 for you. BTW I'll be at the show tonight and I'm from KC. We have floor seats as well. Does anyone know if the floor seats are seats of just for counting? Or is it like GA and everyone is crammed in like sardines?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East coast time to Central time is 1hr behind. So if the show starts at 8 here it will be 9 for you. BTW I'll be at the show tonight and I'm from KC. We have floor seats as well. Does anyone know if the floor seats are seats of just for counting? Or is it like GA and everyone is crammed in like sardines?

Not GA so you will have an actual seat;)

Central is 1hr behind Eastern. So if the show starts at 8 here it will be 9 for you. BTW I'll be at the show tonight and I'm from KC. We have floor seats as well. Does anyone know if the floor seats are seats of just for counting? Or is it like GA and everyone is crammed in like sardines?

great, thank ya :D

enjoy!

seeee there are some coldplayingers in kansas! theyll just have to try to spred the word to the others there so we can recruit some more lol

Cool or not, Coldplay is A-OK

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI8I6qcxWyU]YouTube - Coldplay - Yellow[/ame]

Above: "Yellow" isn't "Fake Plastic Trees" and Coldplay isn't Radiohead, but we'll be at Sprint Center tonight anyway.

I recently asked an acquaintance whether he was going to tonight’s Coldplay show. He gave me an over-my-dead-body look, as if I’d asked him whether he watches “Full House” reruns. I suppose Chris Martin is correct: His band isn’t cool, whatever that means anymore.

It may not be cool, but in my book Coldplay doesn’t really qualify as a guilty pleasure, either. Its music has enough merits to justify — instead of excuse or rationalize — my interest, which is somewhere closer to casual than devout.

I became a fan almost accidentally. I liked a song or two on the “Parachutes” album but hadn’t yet warmed up to “A Rush of Blood To The Head” when I caught its show at Memorial Hall in January 2003. That concert was a confluence of circumstances that left me ripe for persuasion: I was grieving over something, and Coldplay was at the point where it had outgrown venues as small as Memorial Hall.

That night the place was packed; the band rocked; the crowd (3,500) was euphoric; and several of the songs got under my skin and inside me, especially the deep-blue ballads like “The Scientist” and “Clocks.”

I’ve got a soft spot for Brit rock anyway, so after that evening, I climbed aboard the Coldplay train, fully aware that this band wasn’t as adventurous as the groups it can vaguely resemble, in a homogenized way: mainly Radiohead and U2 (although the distance between Coldplay and U2 has narrowed recently).

Since then, a backlash has ensued. Here’s what the Chicago Tribune said about Martin: “(his) falsetto fragility and good-guy mannerisms make him the rock equivalent of a warm glass of milk and bedtime cookies.”

And here’s how Pitchfork described Coldplay in its review of its latest album, “Viva La Vida”: “a grandma-friendly, Radiohead-normalizing, disarmingly polite rock band led by a man who sounds like he’s still yearning for puberty perhaps.”

True, I suppose. Chris Martin’s lyrics could use some help. He seems smarter than: “Tears stream down your face/When you lose something you cannot replace.” It might help if Martin could conjure more abstractions and artsy-fartsy-ness or more soul, but I’m not sure he has it in him. A writer for the Village Voice wrote: “Martin’s too sweet, too soothing. … He tries hard to imagine how it feels to feel like you’re dying, but he can’t evoke it.”

I’m guessing that’s where the deepest objections to his band start: with the words, which fail him more than occasionally. The Radiohead-lite thing doesn’t help either; nor, I’m sure, does his marriage to a Hollywood starlet who used to date Brad Pitt.

He has taken some strides to break out in a few directions: collaborating with Kanye West and Jay-Z; hiring Brian Eno to produce “La Vida,” which is a step up from “X&Y” and includes several tracks made for the arenas.

I’m not sure any of that will remedy what seems to ail Coldplay’s stock in the hipster markets. And it doesn’t matter. I’ve stopped keeping track of what I’m supposed to like, stopped trying to force myself to like what’s been ordained as fashionable, hip or “art.”

Obviously, some bands (Radiohead, Tool) are in this game for bigger and deeper and more substantive reasons than others. To them go the spoils: a vaunted, long-lasting reputation.

But I’m happy to admit I like songs or performers who don’t get respect from the underground, whether it’s the Killers, Pink or Coldplay. Sometimes it’s enough for a song or a band to be merely entertaining.

http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back_to_rockville/2008/11/cool-or-not-col.html

First time poster here. I'll be at the K.C. show tonight. First Coldplay concert and I can't wait!

Section 105, Row 26

Anyone know what the set list will be like? Does Coldplay tend to play the same songs at each show during a tour or do they change up the set list each night?

Pretty new to the Coldplay scene. I fell in love with them when I happened to watch their Storytellers show on MHD about a year ago.

Spoilers ahead!

It looks like there's a small sect of Coldplaying.com members from Kansas!

I bought my tickets pretty late. I'll be in Section 122, Row 11.

From what I gather, here are their set lists from some of their previous shows.

Click on the show button to see the set lists.

[quote=

Meadowlands - Izod Center

East Rutherford, NJ

Monday 27 October 2008]

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Cemeteries Of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)

Talk (techno version)

The Hardest Part (piano - Chris)

Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)

Viva La Vida

Lost!

The Scientist (acoustic)

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will singing)

Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

Politik

Reign of Love

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

Yellow

[quote=

Wachovia Center

Philadelphia, PA, USA

November 1, 2008 ]

Classic intro

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed of Sound

Cemeteries of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face* > Talk*

The Hardest Part > Postcards From Far Away

Viva La Vida

Lost!

The Scientist**

Death Will Never Conquer**

Viva La Vida***

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Encore applause

Yellow

The Escapist (outro)

* shorter techno versions, stage B, main floor right

** acoustic, stage C, near sections 105/205

*** remix interlude as band moves back to stage A

[quote=

Quicken Loans Arena -

Cleveland, OH.

October 21st, 2008. ]

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Cemeteries Of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face * >

Talk *

The Hardest Part *

Viva La Vida

Lost!

~ Band moves to stage C ~

The Scientist +

Death Will Never Conquer +

~ Band moves to stage A ~

Viva La Vida [Remix] plays >

Politik

Lovers In Japan

~ Encore ~

Yellow

Viva La Vida [Album closing] plays

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

* = Performed on stage B, located on the main floor. (Shorter, techo versions)

+ = Performed on stage C, located between sections 227 & C127.

[quote=

Futurshow Station (formerly known as PalaMalaguti)

Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna), Italy

2008-09-29 ]

Mainset:

*** intro ***

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Cemeteries Of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno, band on Stage B)

Talk (techno, band on Stage B)

The Hardest Part (piano, Chris solo on Stage B)

Postcards From Far Away (piano, Chris solo on Stage B)

Viva La Vida

Lost!

*** band moving to Stage C ***

The Scientist (acoustic, band on Stage C)

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic, band on Stage C, Will on vocals)

Viva La Vida (remix) [*** encore break 1 ***]

First encore:

Politik

*** unknown interlude (piano, Chris solo) ***

Lovers In Japan

*** encore break 2 ***

Second encore:

Yellow

The Escapist [*** outro ***]

Enjoy the show everyone!!!

I know I will!

welcome blil! hope you'll enjoy it!

the setlist might be achanging soon, it's been the same for a while but they might adds eom new songs! :)

Hmmmm...wonder if they'll be soundchecking today?:inquisitive:

*shakes magic 8 ball*

Yes definitely:D

another contest? ;)

^^^^edit: you might wanna put thos ebehind spoilers? [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without spaces

welcome blil! hope you'll enjoy it!

the setlist might be achanging soon, it's been the same for a while but they might adds eom new songs! :)

another contest? ;)

^^^^edit: you might wanna put thos ebehind spoilers? [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without spaces

don't think so...hell I didn't even KNOW about that contest in Atlanta......:D

Inspiration.

Destination Kansas City. We rolled up at the Sprint Center, Kansas City today. Some of these arenas have quite grand and strange designs. This one struck me that if you shone some flashlights on it, it would become a crystal ball. At the moment though, it just looks a bit like a glittering fruit bowl you might find in a certain Swedish megastore..

It was another mammoth drive yesterday. I sympathise for the truck and bus drivers when we do long-hauls like that. It’s an incredible country to tour. You drive for as long as it would take to cross the whole of some large countries, just to get to the next city. Weird when you start to see 7 or 8 hours as a ’short drive’.

Today we are on the first of 2 in a row. We have 9 more shows out here before we tread back across the pond. Strange to think that Coldplay have only done one show so far in their home country.. When we have done over 50 already this year.

Back in Atlanta, we had a great night with Oxfam. The volunteer group really stuck together and worked as a team. All of them seeming over the moon to be helping Oxfam and eagerly anticipating their free Coldplay show. They all got the chance to see Chris Martin perform ‘Green Eyes’ for the first time in the whole tour. A good treat for their efforts. I think there is a chance of some more set changes soon with the release of ‘Prospekts March’.

So what inspires us to get involved? Coldplay have certainly inspired thousands, possibly millions of people to get involved with Oxfam’s work to overcome poverty. I wonder how many more bars of Fairtrade chocolate have been eaten, since the start of the Make Trade Fair Campaign. How many people have switched to Fairtrade coffee. How many people have helped train a teacher through an Oxfam Unwrapped gift.

I have been inspired by all sorts of things. Seeing people come together to call for change. Listening to Eddie Izzard narrate a recycling advert. Adding my face to the Control Arms ‘Million Faces’ petition. Seeing over 101’000 people at UK festivals in 2007, sign up to an Oxfam campaign to combat Climate Change. Running marathons surrounded by people raising money for charity by running 26.2 miles. Listening to family and friends debating presidential candidates. Working in rural Madagascar, to help build school benches and collecting drinking water from rivers. Whatever inspires us, whether it be a symbol on a piano on a Coldplay stage, seeing an advert on TV, talking to a relative, joining a petition online, speaking to an Oxfam campaigner.. Small actions change lives. Be moved. Be involved. Because you’ve got power, and it’s time for justice.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=104

Got cold cash for Coldplay? Tickets are still available.

coldplay.preview.jpg

Here's a telltale sign of consumer spending shifts - rock star department.

Those of us with a certain weakness for vaguely alternative British rock might be tempted to catch the Coldplay concert tonight.

Well, the good folks at Ticketmaster are showing a pretty fair number of seats available in the more expensive lower bowl at Sprint Center. At mid-morning, for example, there were six seats together in Section 102, for a face value of $77.50 apiece, plus the ever-present $14.65 service charge.

In contrast, there are far fewer available in the cheaper upper seats.

No doubt folks are pinching pennies across the economy, particularly for discretionary stuff like rock concerts. Today's Coldplay ticket supply situation just might suggest folks are trading down in price, if not out of the building altogether.

As for me, I'll pass on Coldplay this time around. After all, I've already seen them twice. And while they're nice, I've already made a substantial investment in ACDC come January.

If indeed we're on a highway to hell, economically speaking, I'll be more in the mood to mark it with Angus Young than a sensitive type like Chris Martin.

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/240

Kind of sad to not see "Swallowed In the Sea" and "Til Kingdom Come" on the set list. I was really hoping to hear those two. (I'll keep my fingers crossed that Carlaatje is right and they add a couple tonight.)

Still looking forward to a great concert tonight!