✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

13-Nov-08: Kansas City - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 09-Jul]

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3028473199_9c00c94e37.jpg?v=0

Do you have a bigger version of this one?

We had floor seats but they were way in the back. When the butterflies fell, the fans sucked them forward over the crowd! I had my hands up and I was yelling "Just one! All I want is ONE!" and a few fluttered within a couple feet of my fingertips, but there were none close enough to catch! :(

It was a beautiful effect though!

I was in the nosebleeds: Section 229, Row 3, Seat 8.

Bloody amazing concert though. It was my first time seeing Coldplay and I was blown away.

I took some pictures too. Not great quality, but they'll do!

http://flickr.com/photos/atlantica/sets/72157609225949141/

Setlist:

Live in Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Glass of Water

Speed of Sound

Cemeteries of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put a Smile on Your Face

Talk

Green Eyes

Postcards from Far Away

Viva la Vida

Lost

The Scientist

Death Will Never Conquer

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Death & All of His Friends

Yellow

The Escapist

Great picture of the 4 of them, Tyson! I love it! I was in the lower level section & I got a picture of them bowing, but it, of course, came out a little blurry. I'm always afraid of getting tickets for the floor because I think I won't be able to see very well without being elevated above the people in front of me. What did you think of being on the floor?

I was in the nosebleeds: Section 229, Row 3, Seat 8.

My friends and i were section 229, row 7 seats 1-6 until we got upgraded by the nice fella. we even sat down and at about 7:40 bumped into the guy that was with the band who then moved us to second row. it was so surreal. we were moved to floor, row d, seats 15-20. row a was off to the left, row b was off to the right and row c was actually the front row.

Great picture of the 4 of them, Tyson! I love it! I was in the lower level section & I got a picture of them bowing, but it, of course, came out a little blurry. I'm always afraid of getting tickets for the floor because I think I won't be able to see very well without being elevated above the people in front of me. What did you think of being on the floor?

well first row was only about 4-5 feet from the stage, and the stage was probably 5 feet high, so they were looking straight up the entire time. we were probably 7-8 feet from the stage so i think second row was actually ideal over first. but compared to where i was, the floor was unbelievable.

My friends and i were section 229, row 7 seats 1-6 until we got upgraded by the nice fella. we even sat down and at about 7:40 bumped into the guy that was with the band who then moved us to second row. it was so surreal. we were moved to floor, row d, seats 15-20. row a was off to the left, row b was off to the right and row c was actually the front row.

well first row was only about 4-5 feet from the stage, and the stage was probably 5 feet high, so they were looking straight up the entire time. we were probably 7-8 feet from the stage so i think second row was actually ideal over first. but compared to where i was, the floor was unbelievable.

Thanks so much for the info! It'll be good to know for the next time they come back to KC!

Coldplay brings life to Sprint Center

sde433hf.jpg

Coldplay performed to an arena packed with enthused fans Nov. 13 at Kansas City's Sprint Center in the Power and Light District.

The globe-trotting, British soft-rock group took the stage a little after 9 p.m., following two opening acts - a country-tinged alt-rock group from Texas, and a DJ who laid down beats in sync with an acid-trip-esque cartoon video.

Fans rose from their seats and cheered as the first chords of "Life in Technicolor," the opening track on the band's most recent release, "Viva la Vida," began to echo through the arena. Chris Martin and company took the stage to fill in the song's synth orchestration with their own instrumentation - Martin doing acoustic guitar duties as well as vocals, Johnny Buckland on lead guitar, Guy Berryman on bass and Will Champion banging the drums.

After getting the new album's first single "Violet Hill" out of the way, they launched into a performance of "Clocks," as a stunning laser light show dazzled the audience. Then came the big surprise: only a few songs into the set, Coldplay performed the new song "Glass of Water" from their upcoming EP "Prospekt's March" (due for release Nov. 25 in the States).

"That's the first time in America for that one," Martin said, causing the crowd to erupt in cheers and applause.

The band continued to impress, as they moved on to the hit single "Speed of Sound," which they played in the dark, as huge, multi-colored glowing globes descended from the ceiling. When they finally paused to say hello to the audience, Martin explained he had "heard you have to play six songs in Kansas before stopping to say hi," making the age-old mistake of not realizing which side of the state line his band was on.

Rather than booing, as Missourians are want to do when artists make such a flub, the audience chose to overlook his oversight and cheered him on all the same.

As the evening progressed, the four-piece squeezed onto a small floor-lit platform to play an electro-beat influenced medley of "God Put a Smile on Your Face" and "Talk." This moment, as well as a trip to another small stage in the back of the arena for some folk-infused versions of "The Scientist" and "Death Will Never Conquer" (complete with steel guitar, mandolin and harmonica), highlighted the band's ability to make even the Sprint Center seem like an intimate venue.

Martin's gentle character and British charm showed through in his banter. At one point he singled out a seven-year-old in the audience to thank him for coming to the show. "Wow, seven years old and coming to a Coldplay concert!" he said. "I wasn't going to Coldplay concerts when I was seven. I predict big things for you."

Martin also likes to check in on the audience regularly, asking, "You okay out there?" throughout the night. There's no cocky, rock-star ego from these guys.

After playing a fine selection of songs from their catalog (including their biggest hit to date, "Viva la Vida," and their latest singles "Lost!" and "Lovers in Japan"), the boys pulled out Viva's final track, "Death and All His Friends," and made a trite effort to pretend that was the end of the set.

After only a few moments, however, they retook the stage and banged out their breakthrough hit, "Yellow," much to the crowd's delight, as the stage lights bathed the audience in the song's namesake color. It was a triumphant ending to a performance that managed to be both grand and intimate at the same time.

http://media.www.unews.com/media/storage/paper274/news/2008/11/17/Culture/Coldplay.Brings.Life.To.Sprint.Center-3547708.shtml

Wow.... thanks everyone for sharing all of the pictures. I was in section 121, not great but it wasn't that bad of spot. I thought the video on the screens was magnificent and I did have a really good view of the falling confetti, which was beautiful.

Overall, it was a great night! :D:thumbsup::clap:

Thank you for all your nice comments on my pictures! I'm just so glad so many turned out good because I hate using my dad's camera.

My day started at the Sprint Center and ended in the Sprint Center. I got to the arena at 12:15 to wait for the guys. I had a half finished poster to keep me busy until the guys got there.

At around 1 or so, a nice gentleman comes out from the loading dock and stops to read my sign. He asks me what is says and I say, "My year of Coldplay and the dates I've seen them at." He says bye and leaves down the street. I see a few other roadies including John (I think?), a driver. Some stop to read my sign others just say hi. The nice gentleman comes back from his walk and asks me how long I've been there. At the time it was about 1:30. I told him a little over an hour. He then tells me that I'm the most dedicated fan he's seen so far. Pft. I told him that he obviously hadn't been outside in Detroit or Florida because he would have never said that. (We already know who I'm talking about;)).

I keep working on my sign and he comes back with a COLDPLAY TOTE BAG! I thank him profusely and he goes back into the loading dock. At around 3, the boys arrived. I couldnt really get my sign up in time because a really annoying group of people came to see the band in. They didnt know shit about them and by the time I saw the boys pulling up, only Chris and Jonny saw it. Chris waved and Jonny smiled. To be honest, just that made my day.

I waited around for an hour or so. No one came out but the gentleman who does Coldplay's dressing room. I think Mel and Lori spoke to him in Florida. (I mentioned it to him and he remembered you girls!)

I went in to the arena a bit early to see if I can met Pete. He's absolutely wonderful, not to mention cute. Here's my picture:

DSCN8821.jpg

I was seated 3 rows off of Guy's ramp which you can see from my photos. My favorite part of the show was ironically, In My Place. I know not many people have noticed this but this is the song where guy goes on his ramp to get a good look at the crowd while the lights are up.

I held up my banner and Guy smiled soo wide I thought his face was going to split when he spotted it. I. ALMOST. DIED. on the spot. Seriously, when he smiles at you. Just you. You feel like you're in heaven. He's so beautiful when he smiles, he should never stop.:D:sneaky:

The rest of the concert was a blur up until Strawberry Swing. After all, me & Guy had eye sex. It takes a lot out of a girl;):wink3::laugh3:

By the time SS was played, I was getting ready for B-stage. I went down the stairs along the barrier to get a front row seat for the boys. Nothing can compare to being that close to the boys.

Again, I couldnt stop smiling but now it was because they were ALL within 5 feet of me. The little boy Pablo, and his mother were two people away from me. Chris was such a sweetheart to stop what he was doing and talk to him. I basically melted. After he got done talking with Pablo, I knew we were either gonna get The Hardest Part or Green Eyes. I took it upon myself to yell "Green Eyes!" and hope he hears. We'll never know whether he listened or not, but I like to tell myself he did.:D

Next part in a bit...

Thank you for all your nice comments on my pictures! I'm just so glad so many turned out good because I hate using my dad's camera.

My day started at the Sprint Center and ended in the Sprint Center. I got to the arena at 12:15 to wait for the guys. I had a half finished poster to keep me busy until the guys got there.

At around 1 or so, a nice gentleman comes out from the loading dock and stops to read my sign. He asks me what is says and I say, "My year of Coldplay and the dates I've seen them at." He says bye and leaves down the street. I see a few other roadies including John (I think?), a driver. Some stop to read my sign others just say hi. The nice gentleman comes back from his walk and asks me how long I've been there. At the time it was about 1:30. I told him a little over an hour. He then tells me that I'm the most dedicated fan he's seen so far. Pft. I told him that he obviously hadn't been outside in Detroit or Florida because he would have never said that. (We already know who I'm talking about;)).

I keep working on my sign and he comes back with a COLDPLAY TOTE BAG! I thank him profusely and he goes back into the loading dock. At around 3, the boys arrived. I couldnt really get my sign up in time because a really annoying group of people came to see the band in. They didnt know shit about them and by the time I saw the boys pulling up, only Chris and Jonny saw it. Chris waved and Jonny smiled. To be honest, just that made my day.

I waited around for an hour or so. No one came out but the gentleman who does Coldplay's dressing room. I think Mel and Lori spoke to him in Florida. (I mentioned it to him and he remembered you girls!)

I went in to the arena a bit early to see if I can met Pete. He's absolutely wonderful, not to mention cute. Here's my picture:

DSCN8821.jpg

I was seated 3 rows off of Guy's ramp which you can see from my photos. My favorite part of the show was ironically, In My Place. I know not many people have noticed this but this is the song where guy goes on his ramp to get a good look at the crowd while the lights are up.

I held up my banner and Guy smiled soo wide I thought his face was going to split when he spotted it. I. ALMOST. DIED. on the spot. Seriously, when he smiles at you. Just you. You feel like you're in heaven. He's so beautiful when he smiles, he should never stop.:D:sneaky:

The rest of the concert was a blur up until Strawberry Swing. After all, me & Guy had eye sex. It takes a lot out of a girl;):wink3::laugh3:

By the time SS was played, I was getting ready for B-stage. I went down the stairs along the barrier to get a front row seat for the boys. Nothing can compare to being that close to the boys.

Again, I couldnt stop smiling but now it was because they were ALL within 5 feet of me. The little boy Pablo, and his mother were two people away from me. Chris was such a sweetheart to stop what he was doing and talk to him. I basically melted. After he got done talking with Pablo, I knew we were either gonna get The Hardest Part or Green Eyes. I took it upon myself to yell "Green Eyes!" and hope he hears. We'll never know whether he listened or not, but I like to tell myself he did.:D

Next part in a bit...

What a great pic with Pete! So cute!

Oh and Peter remembered us!! Damn him! He still owes us a drink:D

Great story Gianna - can't wait for the rest!