✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

05-Nov-08: Atlanta - Phillips Arena - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all...my twitter messed up and didn't get my messages and the ones it did get are out of order..oh well, twistedlogic149 had good info

setlist:

after blue danube..

Life in Technicolor

violet hill

clocks (amazing)

in my place

speed of sound?

cemeteries of london

chinese sleep chant

fix you

strawberry swing

-off stage-

gpasuyf (techno)

talk (techno)

hardest part for joe the plummer chris was all alone

I think postcards from far away?

-main stage-

viva la vida

lost

-in the crowd-

scientist

death will never conquer

-main stage-

politik

lovers in japan

death and all his friends

-encore

yellow

the escapist

i think that was the order..need to be double checked

I'm SOSOSOSO tired, I was standing from 4:30-11, my feet are dead

I'll write more about it and post it later on, I have to drive back to school at 6AM.

Last song?

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I must admit I'm not the biggest Coldplay fan but I just saw them tonight for the first time in person and it was awesome! We had great seats and the show was marvelous (it did feel a bit short, however).

I was just wondering if someone could tell me what the last song was (after Yellow) that was playing through the speakers after the band got off stage and the lights came on and everyone was leaving? I was only in the arena for about 1 minute during that entire time so I didn't get to hear much of the song... For the time I did hear it, however, it was entirely instrumental.

Any and all help is much appreciated,

Keith

It was The Escapist. The last song on VLVODAAHF.... Was my first experience seeing Coldplay live. THANK YOU OXFAM! If you get the chance to volunteer with this organization I highly recommend it. Was VERY worth while and for a great cause. Mike and my seats were FRIGGEN AMAZING!!!!! We were so much closer than I thought we would ever be!!! Not everyone was receptive to signing up but I did manage to get 42 signatures. Mike got 50...

The show was fantastic! Words can not express how beautiful The Scientist and Lovers In Japan are. The energy in our area was awesome and the band poured forth an exhilarating vibe that went beyond words. Will broke the drum stick he was pounding the bell with during VLV and I had a chuckle. The acoustics in Phillips aren't top notch but I didnt care. I could go on and on and probably will in the days to come.

Greeneyes has the set list just right from what I remember. No major surprises or special guests. I was sort of shock about some of the crowd being casual fans that seemed like they were just there to be there.

I sang and sang and sang! Lost my voice 3/4s of the way through and kept trying to sing along. I did the best I could singing during CSC! LOL. mumbling through it. Will is fantastic and Chris is a hoot! The magic balls are everything everyone said they would be and are so much cooler in person then what the pictures make them appear to be.

The butterflies are such a site! Chris did make a mistake at the end of 42 and it was funny... His voice was great through out and Will sounds different live then recorded in mp3 format.

I feel blessed and energized! In some ways sad that its over and pray Ill be able to see them again! The show flies by it seems just too short. I was left wanting at least an hour more! But it was HOT in there and there would be some fainting going on from the heat for sure.

PS Will did show up in a spot light during The Hardest Part and sang backing vocals and Post cards From far away was performed after it.

[Coldplay Oxfam Blog] Atlanta, Georgia (part one).

Extra show added due to phenomenal demand. That’s how this show came about. Without it, there would have been a lot of people who missed out. As it is, they didn’t have to. Another sold out show in another state in the US. Coldplay whipped up another storm. The set may have settled into a groove, but the crowds are jumping around wherever we go. One of the Oxfam volunteers summed up the crowd reaction.. ”that was magical.”

I’m sitting on Bus 5, waiting for Doyle (our driver), to hop on and take us on to Orlando, Florida. I’ve not been there before.. I hear it’s kinda hot. Slices of cold pizza and plastic cups filled with various beverages, is the order of the day (even if we are just an hour into it).

So I want to say a big Oxfam welcome to ‘Sleepercar’. They played their second show of this tour tonight. I like what I hear, even if it has only been snippets through a balcony curtain. I’ll have to make a point of watching the whole set some point, and get some pictures for you. I hear they are long-term friends of the band, from the ‘Parachutes’ days. I’m going to have to speed this up. The internet connection will get cut off when the wheels on the bus start to roll.

Hundreds more Coldplay fans signed up with Oxfam America today. Hundreds more people wanting to find out more, to get involved, to do what they can, to take action, to make a difference. Over 45′000 people have got involved with Oxfam for the first time, during this tour. As i’ve said before, Coldplay have done something amazing by inviting us out here. They have supported Oxfam for many years now. Every night, I meet people who say they checked out Oxfam, when they saw the ‘MTF’ on Chris’ piano, and the Make Trade Fair = on his hand at every show. Or looked up the website address from the album sleeve cover. Or met an Oxfam volunteer on a previous tour. The bands support has had a real influence on the Make Trade Fair campaign and also, just how many people know what Oxfam does. That’s awesome.

One of my favourite songs in the world just came on the TV. I got a bit distracted. Someone just said “why not just take our last three paper plates as well.. we haven’t even got ketchup!” (I’ll leave it up to your imagination why..) I’m talking nonsense. I’d better go. See you in Florida.

Pete

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=100

I understand talking about a show you attended and everything... but I don't understand why they keep posting the setlist. They don't deviate from their list once they find one they're happy with. I really wish they wouldn't stick to one setlist, but whatever it's not my band.

It wouldn't hurt to stick Daylight into the setlists or songs that weren't singles at least.

And it'd also be nice if they'd just perform their songs with the entire band rather than

have an entire segment with just Chris on his piano (as intimate as that is... it isn't worth

the money even if you can afford it).

what in the world is up with this band? lol.

Enjoyed the show last night. Took my wife and it was great to be able to finally get out to a rock concert after spending months and months confined to a home with a toddler! That should inform you that I'm not a young one. In my early 40's, but I'll always be into current rock music with an alt-vibe. "A Rush" and "Viva" are incredible albums, "X&Y" okay (too much filler) and the debut album is good. Believe it or not, I don't like the song "Yellow"! The first time I heard it I thought it was Dave Mathews Band. Not a compliment. I'm also fairly jaded in that I've been to a million concert performances going back over the past 25 years.

From that perspective, I'd say Coldplay puts on a good show. Chris is taller and goofier than I expected. I thought it was charming how he screwed up a couple of times. Hey, that's live. Don't care for perfection. I saw Depeche Mode completely stop a song one time and start over. Funny. I know Bono recently said that he thought Coldplay was a band that could give them a run for the money. Hmmm, maybe not. U2 is still slightly a bit more interesting live than what I saw last night. But there are very few bands that can touch what U2 does. Anyway, Coldplay fulfilled my expectations with an energetic, crowd-engaging and pleasing show. You can't miss with those songs from "Viva", possibly my favorite album this past year. And, geez, I had been wanting to see "Politik" live for a long time. Just a phenomenal live tune... followed two songs later by the sleep enducing "Yellow". This band has grown for the better over the years.

Anyway, definitely an enjoyable experience and I'd go see them again. Props for the techno-mixup on the side stage and for running to the back of the arean for a couple of other songs. Nice touch.

Wednesday afternoon my mom and I arrived at the Phillips Arena at around 4:45 to meet with the other Oxfam volunteers. I think there were about 15 of us. Then Pete came outside and gave us “Coldplay Viva La Vida Tour” bracelets to wear to allow us to walk anywhere in the arena while campaigning. He talked to us for a couple minutes, and then we went inside, where we stopped at the Oxfam table. We got our t-shirts, and then Pete talked to us for a while about Oxfam, what to say, and what not to do, etc.

Sometime after 6 the doors opened and it was time to walk around, talk to people and get e-mail addresses. At first there weren’t a whole lot of people, but eventually the crowd of people grew. Some people knew who we were and were happy to sign up, some didn’t and once we started explaining things about Oxfam, they were happy to give us their e-mail address and receive pamphlets and pins. And then there were some who were mean to us, or started talking about how we need to solve problems with people who aren’t poor before helping others. To those people we just smiled and walked away. And of course there were the people that would completely ignore us and keep walking. But overall people were nice and I think it being the day after the election, were more hopeful and excited to help change things for other people. They had a different kind of vibe about them and were of course, very nice to encounter.

But one of the cool things I learned was how many people learn about Oxfam through Coldplay. It’s how I learned about Oxfam, and when I went to my first Coldplay concert, I was excited to see the Oxfam people and signed everything and got all the information I could.

We worked until 8:30, which was when Sleeper Car, the opening band had ended. Then Pete gave us our tickets and we hurried to get to our seats. Usually I’ve heard about Oxfam volunteers having seats super close to the band, but our tickets were in section 306, high up and had a view of the entire arena. I have to admit, I was disappointed to be so far away from Coldplay, and my tickets for next week’s show are in section 308. So I saw how it’d be on Tuesday. But hey, last night’s show was for free!

Music was playing in the arena while we were waiting, but just before 9, a louder song came on, which I take it was Jay-Z. After, Blue Danube came on and I knew the show was about to start. It got louder and louder until it ended and the lights went off and Life in Technicolor came on! Right after was Violet Hill, then CLOCKS! I love Clocks, it was the song I heard, liked and wanted to know what band it was on the radio, and the rest is history. At the last Atlanta show I don’t remember the lasers during Clocks, but last night, they had the lasers and it was awesome. One of the best songs of the night. Then In My Place, which is also special since last time they were in Atlanta, Chris ran into the crowd and was 5 feet away from me! THAT was magical! Cemeteries of London was also really cool, and Chinese Sleep Chant’s lighting and the video was perfect for the song. Fix You was a great sing-along, as was Strawberry Swing. It has been my obsession for the new album and I really enjoyed it live. Then the band moved to a smaller stage on the floor and played GPASUYF and Talk’s techno versions, which I really liked. I kind of wish they also played the normal version of Talk, but it was good nonetheless. Then it was just Chris alone and he played the Hardest Part and dedicated it to Joe the Plummer. It was pretty played all on the piano. Viva La Vida was back on the main stage and seemed like a relief to hear it after all of the other new songs, and was so great to sing along with at the end, the crowd kept singing and Chris was like “okay, we’re done” it was funny. Then was Lost! Right after, they all ran off stage and were near the entrance to the 118 119 sections. They were like a magnet and so many people shifted to the direction they were in. This is right under the section I’m in next week, so I’m hoping to get to the balcony during Lost! To see all this close up. They did The Scientist, and Death Will Never Conquer with Will singing. Then they ran out and the Viva La Vida remix was playing. After what felt like forever ( probably only 2 minutes), Politik started! Then Lovers In Japan, but we were too high up for the butterflies  . But it was SO SO amazing live. Then Death And All His Friends was on, and after they bowed and left. There was an encore of Yellow, and then they played the Escapist and left for good. I wanted more, but it was over and had to get back to the Oxfam table. We handed out leaflets as people were leaving, and once most of the people were gone, we were done too! Everyone got a poster of Chris Martin being covered in rice for Oxfam. That’s pretty cool though…a solo Chris Martin poster for my room! Yay!

Overall it was a good night, and I can’t wait for November 11th! That night I’m not volunteering with Oxfam, but have tickets. At least then I won’t be so tired from standing the entire time! I’ll let you all know how that show goes as well!

This being my fourth Coldplay show, I wasn't too like OMGEXCITED. I mean, I'd seen them three times before... but wow, they topped any show I'd seem them play before. Chris was careful not to say much political-wise, but he did mention Obama twice. The first was indirect, simply calling Nov 5th "The greatest night to be in America". That one came after In My Place.

The second Obama reference came right before Cemeteries of London, where he said that America finally proved to the world that they're capable of progress and that now, in his eyes, we're #1 again. My favorite song of the night was either "42" or "Lovers In Japan". Chris's odd robotic movements were awesome during "42", as was Jonny's solo... but the confetti raining down under the blacklights during "Lovers In Japan" was absolutely surreal.

I'm not sure what it was, but Guy was giving shit away as they walked out to Stage B (the one extended into the crowd) to do the techno songs. Oh yeah... at the end of Viva La Vida, the crowd kept the "Ohh ohhhhhh oooohhh" going at the end after the band had stopped playing. Chris tried to keep going along with us, then pleaded with us to stop as he collapsed from exhaustion. His stage presence was TEN times better than it was during the Twisted Logic tour (hey, look, my screen-name).

Probably the moment that confirmed to me that Coldplay was the biggest band in the world came when they moved out to the crowd to do the acoustic songs. As they got set-up and humbly waved to the crowd (Chris shook hands with the people around him... Will turned around and spoke to the girls behind him at one point), the cheer and applause I heard from the floor was like... deafening. It really showed how much the crowd respected them.

I was right next to Stage B and I didn't see anything being given away..but other than that, amazing show! The crowd was VERY into it, and VERY drunk. This guy was so drunk he was dancing in the aisle and everything, almost gave Chris a run for his money, haha. But a great experience and performance nonetheless.

Oh, yeah, that's another thing:

This was the best crowd I've ever had at a Coldplay show. EVERYONE on the floor around me and up near the front was dancing and screaming and singing. Everyone seemed to know all the lyrics... I even heard people yelling out the Death Will Never Conquer lyrics too. Everybody was excited... people of all ages... teens through old peeps... were dancing. I loved it.

How long did the pre-Bands play??

How long did the opening band(s) play? I am planning on attending the concert in houston, but i may not make the opening. I would like to make sure i get there in time to see the start of Coldplay.

Would someone give a rough idea about the play times? Thanks.

How long did the opening band(s) play? I am planning on attending the concert in houston, but i may not make the opening. I would like to make sure i get there in time to see the start of Coldplay.

Would someone give a rough idea about the play times? Thanks.

Sleepcar (Opening Band), starting around 7:35 they played for a good 30-35 minutes. Then a 10 minute Until coldplay came on.