✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

RIP Leroi Moore

DJR

He was a wonderful saxophone player, and more importantly a wonderful person, and he was taken far too soon.

It is hard to imagine what the band must be going through at news of his passing, and my condolences go out to all his loved ones. May he rest in peace, and may his beautiful music always be a reminder of how he lived his life.

2732 - i have the same av at another forum i post on

very sad day for the dmb community - i remember seeing 'roi in person close up twice, he was really shy but he still waved and smiled - he was only 46 years old, much too young - gonna go listen to #34, maybe a little you never know, tons more DMB - RIP, Leroi

RIP Roi. You were loved by many and will be missed by more. Althought I did not know him, Leroi was such an intrical part of my life because DMB made me want to become a musician, which I now am. My heart hurts with sorrow and my mind is numb from shock.

A sad day in the DMB community.

"Now he belongs to the ages"

Rest in Peace LeRoi Moore

In this Monday, May 9, 2005 file photo, LeRoi Moore of the Dave Matthews Band performs with the band at New York's Roseland Ballroom. Moore is recovering from an ATV accident on his Virginia farm. According to the band's Web site, Moore was taken to the University of Virginia Health System for treatment after the Monday, June 30, 2008 wreck in Charlottesville. A publicist for the Dave Matthews Band said on Tuesday Aug. 19, 2008 that sax player LeRoi Moore died Tuesday, of injuries suffered in the June accident, at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles. Moore was 46.

Thought and opinions?

Dave Matthews Band sax player LeRoi Moore dies

21c5-Obit-LeRoi-Moore.jpg In this Monday, May 9, 2005 file photo, LeRoi Moore of the Dave Matthews Ban...

LOS ANGELES — LeRoi Moore, the versatile saxophonist whose signature staccato fused jazz and funk overtones onto the eclectic sound of the Dave Matthews Band, died Tuesday of complications from injuries he suffered in an all-terrain vehicle accident, the band said. He was 46.

Moore died at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center, where he was admitted with complications that arose weeks after the June 30 wreck, according to a statement on the band's Web site. It did not specify what led to his death, and nursing supervisor Galina Shinder said the hospital could not release details.

On June 30, Moore crashed his ATV on his farm outside Charlottesville, Va., but was discharged and returned to his Los Angeles home to begin physical therapy. Complications forced him back to the hospital on July 17, the band said.

The band went on with its show Tuesday night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, where lead singer Dave Matthews dedicated the entire show to Moore.

"It's always easier to leave than be left," Matthews told the crowd, according to Ambrosia Healy, the band's publicist. "We appreciate you all being here."

Saxophonist Jeff Coffin, who played with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, had been sitting in for Moore during the band's summer tour.

Moore, who wore dark sunglasses at the bands' many live concerts, had classical training but said jazz was his main musical influence, according to a biography on the band's Web site.

"But at this stage I don't really consider myself a jazz musician," Moore said in the biography. Playing with the Dave Matthews Band was "almost better than a jazz gig," he said. "I have plenty of space to improvise, to try new ideas."

Lead singer Dave Matthews credited Moore with arranging many of his songs, which combine Cajun fiddle-playing, African-influenced rhythms and Matthews' playful but haunting voice.

The band formed in 1991 in Charlottesville, Va., when Matthews was working as a bartender. He gave a demo tape of his songs to Moore, who liked what he heard and recruited his friend and fellow jazzman Carter Beauford to play drums, and other musicians.

The group broke out of the local music scene with the album "Under the Table and Dreaming." The band won a Grammy Award in 1997 for its hit song "So Much to Say" off its second album "Crash." Other hits include "What Would You Say," "Crash Into Me" and "Satellite."

Fans who attended Tuesday's concert expressed sadness over Moore's death and concern about the band's future without him. "LeRoi was just super important to the band," Shawn Harrington said before the concert. "That's how the band came to be."

you know.....humans die

Really? I always thought that death was a myth!

I do not feel the need to explain my grief to you, but, I would like to know where you get off questioning it! I think it was highly insensitive for you to even bother responding in the way you did. Regardless, I am sad for you because you know...you're a jerk.

Damn, they're playing here for the first time in a month. This is awful and sad but I can't help to feel grateful they didn't cancel their show here, I've been waiting for a long time.

Inside sources have, unfortunately, been claiming that the South American tour may be canceled. But, sources have been wrong before. I hope that this is one of those times! :\

Inside sources have, unfortunately, been claiming that the South American tour may be canceled. But, sources have been wrong before. I hope that this is one of those times! :\

The thing is that they JUST announced the dates on their official website, and they played a show the other day dedicated to LeRoi. I sincerely hope they don't cancel the show, since Jeff Coffin has been covering for him in recent shows.

The thing is that they JUST announced the dates on their official website, and they played a show the other day dedicated to LeRoi. I sincerely hope they don't cancel the show, since Jeff Coffin has been covering for him in recent shows.

The shows in Los Angeles on Tuesday and Wednesday were really special. It was difficult to see the videos of Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Rashawn, and Tim from Tuesday night, especially. "Bartender" as the opener was definitely one of the most emotionally charged versions I have ever heard. While it was performed (by all band members) under duress, the intensity in that place was palpable. It was like you could actually hear the energy in the air...perhaps that was LeRoi.

Are you a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones fan, as well? Jeff has been the best possible temporary replacement for LeRoi during his time of recovery. With the addition of Tim Reynolds on this tour, the band has seemed to have renewed energy like I have not seen from them for years. That being said, I am torn as to how I feel about Jeff now. I kind of resent him, even though it wasn't his fault that LeRoi is gone. I guess it's just that the stage left solidarity will never be the same.

In less than one week I am flying out to The Gorge outside of Seattle, WA for the three shows over Labor Day weekend. I am both giddy and apprehensive about my trip. Until two days ago I was over the moon with anticipation. I think it may be the fact that even though I am enjoying Jeff on this tour, it's under extremely unfortunate circumstances and that were never meant to be permanent. I have now seen Jeff play three shows with the band this summer and only one with LeRoi, prior to his accident, of course. I'll be seeing the first show that is not truly the Dave Matthews Band.

This year has been wrought with changes in regards to this band. Stefan and his son were at home in Charlottesville when his house charred to almost nothing, Dave welcomed the birth of his first son, Tim Reynolds is on tour with the band for the first time since the late 1990's, Nancies.org shut down, LeRoi got into the (fatal) ATV accident, and the fanbase has begun to turn on one another like rabid dogs, and then the unfathomable...LeRoi passes away. This much change could, and probably will, change the course of this band forever. There is a part of me that hopes they take a hiatus after this tour ends in a few weeks. I think it just needs to happen. I have felt this way for a long time.

I love the Dave Matthews Band more than any other band that has ever existed. The feeling I have when I am at shows I chase like a drug. From city to city, and campground to campground...I live for those three hours of bliss. For me, it has always been like going to church. When I am at a Dave Matthews Band show, I am at my very best. I am with chosen family who accept me for who I am. I laugh until I cry. I am reminded that everything is right now. I sing and dance and love like there is going to be no tomorrow. To be cliche, I eat, drink, and be merry.

For tomorrow we die.

Really? I always thought that death was a myth!

I do not feel the need to explain my grief to you, but, I would like to know where you get off questioning it! I think it was highly insensitive for you to even bother responding in the way you did. Regardless, I am sad for you because you know...you're a jerk.