✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

28-Feb-2009: Burswood Dome, Perth, Aus - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay shows U2 how it's done

ON the same day that the biggest band in the world, U2, released its new album, Coldplay were in Perth showing why its the No.1 contender for the heavyweight crown.

Friday was the first show of the band’s Australian tour, which comes to Melbourne this week, and the British quartet thrilled the packed house with a no-nonsense, high-energy rock show that featured hits from their four mega-selling albums, drawing heavily from the Grammy-winning Viva La Vida, the world’s best-selling album last year.

Playing on a relatively simple stage, Coldplay proved that you don’t need pyrotechnics, fancy props or dancing girls when you have a catalog of superb songs to choose from including Clocks, sing-along favourite Fix You, Lost, The Scientist, Violet Hill and the evening’s highlight Viva La Vida. Breakthrough single Yellow was accompanied by a sea of yellow balloons bouncing around the euphoric crowd, each one spraying forth confetti when finally popped. Flitting between guitar and piano and generally capering around the stage like a madman, the passionate Chris Martin cements his reputation as one of the best front men going around - and one of the most humble.

At one point early in the show he thanks the audience for “remembering who we are”, resulting in deafening scream that made it clear that nobody had forgotten. Martin and his band mates turn the arena show intimate by venturing out onto gangways into the crowd for a mesmerising electronica-tinged version of God Put a Smile On Your Face, and later literally take it to the people. Disappearing off the stage, the four then sprint to back of the arena, popping up in the crowd. Suddenly the nose-bleeds are the best seats in the house for a stripped-back, acoustic version of Speed of Sound, with Martin apologising to the lucky few nearby “for making you stand so close to four sweaty men”.

Before the show, Martin told the Sunday Herald Sun that they were proud to be headlining the Sydney Sound Relief concert on March 14. The band had seen the terrible bushfires unfold from Japan and immediately said yes when approached by promoter Michael Chugg to perform. “I’m really pleased to be doing that concert,” Martin said.

“Something like this you would never say no because it would be terrible. “That’s been worldwide news, so it seemed liked we would be real a---holes if we just sat in our hotel rooms saying ‘we’re not playing that’,” said Martin.

“When you come to Australia, you realise that Australians think of themselves as being far away from everywhere but the rest of the world is watching - everyone likes you and everyone is watching you.”

Martin also revealed the band has been working with two of Australia’s favourite singers: Kylie Minogue and Natlie Imbruglia. “They are both amazing,” Martin said of the former Neighbours starlets.

Minogue recorded the song Lhuna with the band last year that nearly made it on to Viva La Vida, which the band gave to Bono’s charity organisation (RED)WIRE, which aims to eliminate AIDS in Africa. Imbruglia has been working with the band in London and has been recently seen out and about at shows with Martin. “Our best ever song and we just gave to her,” Martin said.

“We obviously can’t release anything for a while because people are a bit sick of us so we asked her if she wanted to do it.”

James Wigney

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25122471-2902,00.html

Coldplay last night. oh. my. god. Honestly, truly the best concert I've ever been to. I'm still buzzing from it. It was absolutely magical from start to finish. During 'Yellow' they had these gigantic yellow balloons filled with yellow confetti, that shot into the crowd and everyone was leaping up to hit them, I kept trying when one came near, and then finally I hit one, and it flew into the air. After a couple of minutes they started to burst sending confetti raining down on everyone

During 'Lovers in Japan' they had confetti butterflies streaming from the roof, thousands and thousands of them, so of course I grabbed as many as I could.

Chris Martin is such an amazing frontman. He's so charismatic and you just can't take your eyes off him, and he really leaps around the place, skipping and spinning and at one point doing a backward roll. He was incredible.

There was also one of those amazing moments, that make the hair stand on end, where Coldplay took a bow and left the stage and instead of just shouting etc for an encore, people started singing part the oh,oh,oh, ooohhh part of Viva La Vida. It's hard to explain unless you know the song, and then they came back out and performed the Scientist and one other song that I can't remember!

Ok, Ok, I'll stop. I still haven't come down from the show I think. This picture kind of sums up how I felt about the whole thing anyway.

http://red-beret.blogspot.com/2009/03/coldplay.html

WTF is with them first charging $120-140 to get into the gig and then $40-50 for merch shirts. I hope the boys hear of this, they wouldn't be happy if they knew.

Part proceeds of the merchandise sales is going to the bushfire appeal. The prices didnt seem to phase alot of people because the merchandise stands were packed at both gigs. I spent $185 on 2 programs and 3 t-shirts.

I bought a ticket for my nephew for christmas in gold section, so for the two nights, nephews ticket and merchandise Coldplay got $605 from me, and it was worth every cent.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6zf_fAg2o]FEB 28 2009 COLDPLAY @ BURSWOOD DOME, PERTH - THE HARDEST PART[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3obQUkCCRE]FEB 28 2009 COLDPLAY @ BURSWOOD DOME, PERTH - POLITIK[/ame]

A very quick post before I head to work...

I touched down in Singapore about 3am yesterday and I managed to get up an hour earlier to look through my photos... Lots of them which looked perfectly fine on my camera were very blurry on my computer :sad: so these are the best pics I took.

Me and another Coldplayer setipkechil (I'm the one with the cap :D)

Perth2802091.jpg

My banner being draped on a yellow umbrella :P

Perth2802092.jpg

Hoppy

Perth2802093.jpg

Perth2802094.jpg

Perth2802095.jpg

Perth2802096.jpg

I can't believe you watermarked them :rolleyes:.

PS: They are fucking awesome though :D!

Hahaha I know :rolleyes:

I got my pics taken from someone before who credited them to himself. Idiot.

cute! I like your shirt too!

You're talking about the black Coca Cola-esque Coldplay tee right? That's not me wearing it but it's amazing :D