✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

28-Mar-09: Emirates Palace, Abu Dhabi, UAE - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos/V

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icons plunge into darkness to shed light on planet

Dubai/Abu Dhabi: Iconic landmarks across the UAE dimmed their lights for one hour on Saturday evening as part of the World Wide Fund for Nature's (WWF) global Earth Hour initiative.

Government departments, local businesses and hotels were plunged into darkness in Dubai between 8.30pm and 9.30pm.

Dubai International Airport switched off lighting at all its duty free stores across its three terminals while travellers ate in food courts lit by candlelight. Lights at the Burj Dubai, the tallest building in the world, were also switched off as part of the initiative.

Hundreds of people gathered at The Walk at Jumeirah Beach Residence, the focal point of Dubai's participation in the event, to watch some of the city's most famous landmarks, including the Burj Al Arab, dim their lights.

Residents received T-shirts, caps and lanterns upon arrival. The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) switched off lights at The Walk as well as at all commercial advertising spots on Jumeirah and Sufouh roads.

Thousands of people attending the Coldplay concert in Abu Dhabi, were shown a short film on Earth Hour before the gig started.

All carbon emissions generated as a result of the concert are to be calculated to generate the event's total carbon footprint. Based on the total figure, 'carbon credits' will fund an international gold standard certified sustainability project.

Abu Dhabi Police participated in the Earth Hour by switching off lights at its main premises and dimming lighting in other departments. Warning and security systems continued to work normally.

Major General Ahmad Nasser Al Raisi, Director General of Central Operations at Abu Dhabi Police, said the move has not affected emergency systems as light was reduced at the departments whose work is round-the-clock.

Beach Rotana Abu Dhabi participated by turning its lobby lights off. Hundreds of guests and visitors were gathered at the lobby, surrounded by candlelights.

The Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort in Fujairah switched off lights in the garden and in corridors and offices for one hour, conserving 1,600 kilowatts of electricity.

Over 1,800 cities in more than 80 countries pledged their support to Earth Hour 2009 with some of the world's landmarks plunging into darkness, including Sydney Harbour Bridge, Edinburgh Castle and the Pyramids.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Environment/10299317.html

Twitter

lndsy928: @coldplay the AUH concert was fantastic! the storm seemed to make the concert better, definitely didn't slow you guys down! thank you!

3 minutes ago from web

danstuart: Saw #Coldplay in abu dhabi. Best I've seen in a long time. Coldplay = what Radiohead would be if they were fun

26 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

Oh, ok thanks!!! :D

As always i was totally confused by time zones :P

No problem! you are welcome. :)

EDIT:

Awesome vid Angel eyes!!

You can hear the gig soo clearly :shocked2:

Thanks.

yes, you are right. :)

Kool...but where are they?? haha

I don't really know. :rolleyes: :lol:

YouTube - Coldplay Emirates Palace 20090328[/url]

btw, It's raining here a lot now.... :cool:

I'm surprised the audio is so clear from that distance! :shocked2:

Thanx Noora! :kiss:

@Ab :lol:

:devilish:

It was so good. The lightning and pelting rain made it even better. The setlist was the same as Singapore I believe but they played some nursery rhymes about rain while we stood there drebched. Chris apologgized for his 'shit arabic'. The sound went out after yellow on stage left and was recovered a couple songs later. Guy's guitar thing didn't work when they played at trhe end of the runway. A girl called Sarah who was my friend

It was so good. The lightning and pelting rain made it even better. The setlist was the same as Singapore I believe but they played some nursery rhymes about rain while we stood there drebched. Chris apologgized for his 'shit arabic'. The sound went out after yellow on stage left and was recovered a couple songs later. Guy's guitar thing didn't work when they played at trhe end of the runway. A girl called Sarah who was my friend

I think your review isn't finished yet but whatta hey! :P

Did Chris say any Arabic words?

That would be priceless!!!! :laugh3:

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

I'm surprised the audio is so clear from that distance! :shocked2:

Thanx Noora! :kiss:

yes, that's great! :cool: and you are welcome my friend. :)

Thanks a lot ifpikad for the reviews. :cool:

btw, welcome to coldplaying. :)