✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

28-Mar-09: Emirates Palace, Abu Dhabi, UAE - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos/V

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! :dead:

I thought the thunder storm would blow up that concert but I stand corrected, it made it EVEN MORE AWESOME! :stunned:

But I'm guessing we won't see much pix from that gig, everyone on Flicker says they didn't bring their cameras obviously cuz the rain would have damaged them!

Hey guys how can i change my display picture ?

CLICK! :tongue:

WOW! :dead:

I thought the thunder storm would blow up that concert but I stand corrected, it made it EVEN MORE AWESOME! :stunned:

But I'm guessing we won't see much pix from that gig, everyone on Flicker says they didn't bring their cameras obviously cuz the rain would damage them!

CLICK! :tongue:

Seriously off-topic...

But OMG your siggie :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

/off-topic :embarassed:

Awesome!!! Somehow the rain made the concert more memorable! I wish the S'pore was at outdoor, maybe like Fort Canning Park! I miss the guys so bad! I wanna see them perform again

Lovely guys!

I am sure that the boys will be bringing by new setlists and feelings toward the new outdoor gigs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUP8yTnS7aI]YouTube - Yellow - Coldplay in Abu Dhabi[/ame]

another video of yellow

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IahbxRfcu7U]YouTube - Lovers in Japan - Coldplay in Abu Dhabi[/ame]

lovers in japan

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAxRlHRYAE]YouTube - Coldplay Live Abu Dhabi March 28th 2009 - SPECIAL PERFORMANCE pt.1[/ame]

green eyes :heart:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xdWPqvJr4]YouTube - Coldplay in Abu Dhabi 2009 - green eyes accidentally in love medley[/ame]

I'm a believer.. in the dark :lol:

MTVa_news_coldplayabudhabi.jpg&MaxImageWidth=350&MaxImageHeight=350

March 29, 2009

Driving to Abu Dhabi on Saturday night to watch Coldplay perform, the roads were wet, huge clouds loomed in the distance and lightning lit up the sky. What were we doing going to an outdoor concert? For any other band it may have been a different story, but this was Coldplay and so there was no turning back. It was a seriously moody night, but entering the Abu Dhabi city the rain cleared and we breathed a sigh of relief.

The venue was packed and a sea of excited faces waited for Coldplay to get up on stage. The Brit band opened with ‘Clocks’, an old favourite that got the crowd roaring. Frontman Chris Martin was sat on the piano playing that distinctive piano riff to a mass of screaming fans.

Minutes later the inevitable happened, the heavens opened and it rained but, to our amazement, the crowds didn’t run for cover. There was an electric feeling in the air and people screamed, cheered and danced through the rain. The band followed shortly after with ‘Yellow’, another great nostalgic song.

Chris Martin was as charismatic as ever on the night, he stopped between songs to have a little banter with crowd and even managed the odd Arabic word.

Highlights of the night included; a performance in the dark for Earth Hour – fans were asked to light up the stage with their mobile phones and everywhere you turned all you could see was a multitude of blinking lights. A blinding performance of ‘Politik (Open Up Your Eyes)’, an entire stadium signing along to ‘Viva La Vida’ and butterfly-shaped confetti bursting into the air nearing the end of the night.

As we drove back from Abu Dhabi drenched and happily exhausted, we sighed and realized that it’s not often out here you see such an energetic crowd of people at a concert and such a stellar performance by a truly gifted band. Of course, there were the odd teeny-bopper trios insisting on pushing past you but even that couldn’t ruin the night. Coldplay were ace.

I was at the Coldplay concert last Saturday, and all I can say is WOW! What a show!

We got there early so we could secure good spots...and what amazing spots they ended up being! Chris Martin was so close, we could almost touch him!

The rain, lightning and thunder show that accompanied the band only made the whole experience even better in my opinion.

The band was incredible...they looked like they were having fun on stage, they interacted with the crowd, they improvised, and they sang their lungs out! Their rendition of "I'm a believer" was amazing, and Chris often burst out into spontaneous rain-related songs such as "Why does it always rain on me" and "Raindrops keep falling on my head".

He even invited a girl to go up on stage with him to celebrate her birthday. Lucky b*&^h :)

The venue at the Emirates Palace was perfect once again (although more traffic on the way out this time around, and it seems that the wristband section was a bit more chaotic).

Abu Dhabi has proven once again that when it comes to attracting the big names and putting on a show, it beats Dubai hands down!

http://dxbsunshine.blogspot.com/2009/03/coldplay.html

As enticing as this spot has been, after we arrived on Saturday evening, Kim led us out for the Coldplay concert at Emirates Palace, the hotel that put Abu Dhabi on the map and makes the Shang look like a newer Best Western (more on that later, as we're going to explore the interior today). While the skies looked a bit threatening, no one really thought it would rain, since, as Kim told us, it rained just once for a very little while all of last year.

The concert was set near the beach to the side of the hotel, so that the stage backed to the water (though too dark for us to see) and the Palace dominated the skyline to the right. This was Coldplay's last stop on their Viva tour, and first time in the Middle East, so we saw a mix of around 15,000 fans, a rather blended international crowd.

As is the standard for this trip so far, Kim scored us--along with two of her friends--VIP tickets in the section most removed from the stage, but also the most comfortable. We were slightly elevated, which gave us a better view than those on the ground, and because the crowd was a bit smaller, the entire setting seemed rather intimate, yet still a little raucous.

I've always enjoyed listening to attractive British men do just about anything, so Chris Martin and the boys didn't disappoint. Added bonus, just as the concert got going, a lightning storm began illuminating the sky behind us. While we were excited about the additional light show, Kim and I kept commenting on the fact that the main stage, what with all the metal and wiring, was an ideal conduit for all that electrical power.

Fortunately, none of us went up in a ball of electrocuted flash, but we did get absolutely drenched when the sky unleashed pebble-sized rain drops...which inspired Chris, as I like to call him, to incorporate impromptu "rain" lyrics (think, raindrops keep falling on me head) into his songs.

At some point, the rain did let up, and we soaked in the rest of the concert, with the band really playing to the crowd (good video to come), traveling out to different spots nearer to us and entertaining us with more acoustic arrangements (and a harmonica solo).

http://cornfedchics.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/03/a-manicured-life-becomes-us.html

Hi everyone I’m back and I’m sure you can already tell where I’ve been this weekend. That’s right I went to Abu Dhabi to see Coldplay play live in concert. I’m not really into concerts but Coldplay are one of the very few groups I’ve wanted to see live so I was really to glad get to good tickets, even though I thought I had left it late. All I can say is that they were FANTASTIC ! It was a memorable experience on so many levels.

We got into the outdoor venue at Emirates Palace about 20 minutes before Coldplay came on stage. The tickets were for standing near the stage (Diamond Standing) and I’m so glad I bought those tickets as the seated ones were really far away. I was looking around. The place was packed. I later found out that 15,000 people were there !

Then all of a sudden the lights went out and all you could see were torches of fire spinning around on the stage and then the opening intro from the album Viva La Vida (Life in Technicolor) being played by the band from behind a screen where you could only see their silhouettes. An electric opening.

The band then reeled off songs from the album with classics such as Yellow, In My Place and the brilliant Fix You in between. Oh and in between the songs there was thunderstorm which completely soaked everyone. But no one cared. In fact it added to the atmosphere. With every clap of thunder we sang even louder, our hands and faces getting wetter from the warm tropical rain. Coldplay was the perfect soundtrack to this evening.

But what made this concert really memorable was the performance of lead singer Chris Martin. What a show he put on. It wasn’t just him standing up there singing the songs going through the routine. His use of Arabic, “Shukran” and “keefik” were nice touches and you got the feeling that a lot of this was being improvised. Not the songs, the interaction with the crowd, which he never missed an opportunity to do. He would bring in “raindrops keep falling on my head” in one of his songs while the rain was bucketing down. When doing a rendition of the 60’s song of “I’m a believer” he cracked a joke each time before asking different sections of the crowd and the band members if they”feel in love”.

Other great parts of the show were when celebrating Earth Hour, all the lights were turned off as Chris Martin asked everyone to light up the screens of their mobiles while he sang on a small stage in the middle of the crowd. Before that, one lucky girl who was celebrating her birthday actually got on the stage with Chris Martin where they did a “special duet” as Martin put it. Only he would sing but asked if she wouldn’t mind turning the pages of the song book on his piano. But joke of the night had to be when he said that the band has been together for 13 years but the first 12 years were just spent practicing for this concert in Abu Dhabi LOL !

Back to the music, so many good songs were performed really well but the pick were Lost, Clocks (great laser show), Viva La Vida, and of course Fix You. But what made this show (it was so much more than a concert) so refreshing was that the biggest band in the world right now are really down to earth ordinary guys who play great music, fantastic songs and always engaged the audience.

I arrived at the concert liking Coldplay. I left, absolutely loving them.

http://q80mix.com/2009/03/31/coldplay-live-in-concert/