✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-May-2009: Verizon Wireless Music Center, Birmingham, AL

my review & account of my day yesterday...

Yesterday, my mom & I went to Birmingham from Atlanta, (2nd show in a row), to volunteer with Oxfam for our second time. I was the team leader for Birmingham, so I had to be there earlier than everyone else to help set up. We actually got there an hour early, so we were able to get something to eat before going in the venue. While we were finishing lunch, I got a Tweet from Guy saying they were having their sound check!!! So we got in the car & went back to the venue. We went to the wrong entrance, but it was actually the entrance that wasn’t locked. There was a guy with his 3yr old sun walking around, so when we got out the car, we introduced ourselves & found he was also there trying to hear the sound check. So we walked into the venue, towards the music. I saw Jonny standing on the stage & Will was at the piano, playing! Then someone said we weren’t supposed to be there & told us to walk up the stairs of the venue..we did, slowly, and took a few pics ( which I later learned that we weren’t supposed to do, as Coldplay has to agree to them, since it was a private sound check, so I can’t post the pictures). I started waving and Jonny looked up and waved back at me!!! It was soo exciting! Then I saw Chris walk into view, and he started talking to Jonny, and I started waving again, but he didn’t see. My mom then told me I better go down there & try to get a picture with them or something, that it was my chance & if I didn’t I’d regret it…so off I went down the stairs, toward the stage..I was so scared I was going to get in huge trouble though! When I got to the stage, I saw a roadie was talking to Guy ( I was on Guy’s side). After he stopped talking I was yelling “Guy! Guy!” but he couldn’t hear, but I saw the roadie again and he came over. I asked him if it was possible if I could get a picture with Coldplay really quickly & then leave. He told me about how I can’t take pics, what I mentioned earlier, so I turned my camera off. He said I could get one though soon, and to wait, so I sat in the first row, and watched as they began playing “Everything’s Not Lost”. It was so surreal, to see Coldplay playing this song, just jamming, not ‘performing’. And I was SO close to them! Then a security guy came up to me and told me I had to go, I told him the Roadie said I could stay but he didn’t believe me . So depressing!

Then my mom & I went to meet Soha on the other side of the venue. When we got there, she had already found out what just happened, and told me about how it makes Oxfam look bad & Coldplay takes it into consideration when they invite them on tour again. I felt REALLY bad!! I wouldn’t have done that if I knew that might happen! AH! So, we went to the spot where we’d set the tent up, and my mom & Soha went backstage to get the Oxfam tent & info. My mom said she saw Coldplay doing their sound check & their dressing rooms, & stuff. While I was waiting, I heard Coldplay playing a song I’ve never heard..and it was really amazing! Possibly one that will be on a new album or b-side? I can’t remember the other songs I heard them play, but it was pretty neat nonetheless. Once they got back, we set the tent up & the materials we’d be using. Once that was done, it was time to meet the volunteers! They all came in, and were all very nice and awesome people. Most of them knew each other from the school they go to, and I found out have an Oxfam club there. After last night I really want to start one at my school. Hopefully I can! Soha explained what we were going to be telling concert-goers about Oxfam, and about the petition we had for them to sign for Obama to see in December so he can take more action for the people affected by climate change. We got to use umbrellas, bandanas, tattoos, and fanny packs to look as Oxfam as we could! I was at the tent all night, which not many people came to, since it was on the side not many people walked by, but we got a good number of signatures still. The more I talked to others about Oxfam, and read the pamphlets, I became even more excited about it & really think what Oxfam does is amazing. Even though I had done this before, and read their websites, etc, this time I think I “got it”. After a while, it was time to go watch Coldplay perform!

The venue was pretty neat, there weren’t lawn seats, but it was “stadium seating” so everyone had a fair view. I really love that now for LiT, Coldplay comes out with sparklers. It reminds me of the Twisted Logic tour a little more. Like, you can see them, but not really. This night, Chris didn’t seem to run around as much as he did the night before in Atlanta, but he still did nonetheless. There were a few technical difficulties, with the screens on each side of the stage, and with Jonny’s guitar, and Chris knocked over his microphone at one point, which was kind of loud.. The transition from Clocks, to In My Place, is awesome! I really think it’s great for some reason. At the end of Yellow, Chris wanted us to sing a big, loud & long “oooh” to carry it on. I think when Glass of Water comes on, some people don’t know what it’s from still. After GPASUYF & Talk on the B-stage, Chris told us about how he thought everyone was boo-ing Bruce Springsteen at a concert he went to, so he had us scream “BRUCE!” so we could see what he meant, lol. During The Hardest Part, he messed up, stopped, and then started where he left off. The C-stage’s I’m a believer was also a favorite when Chris asks “are you in love?” to each band member, making up a rhyme as he goes, about each person. And of course, Lovers in Japan was magical, as always. I was able to get some dry butterflies though, and am pressing them between books now, hoping they straighten out.

After Lovers, I had to go get ready to hand out LeftRightLeftRightLeft to everyone as they exited. It seemed to go smoothly, and we didn’t use up all the boxes (Around 8,000 people attended). I believe this was a first. There was a guy who picked up the box I was getting cds out of, which scared me! I thought he was going to run with them! The police were near me though & I glanced at them and they were ready to get this guy, but he put it back down and was like “you thought I was serious?!” …uhh. And of course people wanted to take more than one “for their sister” or a story like that, but they can’t. Some people even went up behind me and stole some! So crazy! It’s available online too! The guy in charge of merchandise said he has been with Coldplay for 10 years now!! We were all asking him questions about them & what he does, things like that. After everyone had left, we went back to the tent, got some awesome info about Oxfam to take home, and said our goodbyes to Soha. Hopefully I’ll be able to do this again, and possibly intern with Oxfam or something. I’m really loving it!

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay's hot on a chilly night in Alabama

large_Coldplay6.jpg.jpg

Coldplay, Monday night at the Verizon Wireless Music Center in Pelham, Alabama. Review rating: Four out of five stars.

Who: Coldplay, four British pop-rockers who've enjoyed great success and endured scathing criticism. Some regard their music as exquisitely accessible; others slam the band as U2 lite.

When and where: 9:15 p.m. Monday at the Verizon Wireless Music Center in Pelham. It's been six years since Coldplay performed in the Birmingham area.

Turnout: Ticketholders came close to filling the 10,650-seat amphitheater on a chilly night in May. Some empty seats could be spotted near the middle of the third tier, and a few remained open in the first tier.

Set list: About two hours of music, with an intense emphasis on "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends." The band played nearly everything from that 2008 disc, and pulled a couple of tracks from the EP that followed it, "Prospekt's March." Coldplay reached into the past, as well, including a few songs from each of its three previous recordings.

Frontman: Singer-guitarist Chris Martin (who also played keyboards) was the main attraction. He exuded charm and humor throughout the show, balancing extreme self-confidence with goofy self-deprecation. Martin was an ultra-physical presence on stage, using his body as a dramatic prop. He jerked to the music like a puppet on strings. He bounced like a kid on a pogo stick. He careened from corner to corner, knocked over the microphone stand and flopped on his back. Martin's voice? An expressive tenor that occasionally cracked on the sky-high notes.

Other band members: Impassive bassist Guy Berryman, energetic drummer Will Champion, reliable (and reliably non-flashy) guitarist Jonny Buckland. All performed skillfully, but Champion stood out for the muscular, animated style of his playing.

Music: Coldplay has matured with "Viva la Vida," an impressively layered music suite with orchestral leanings. It's serious and joyful, personal and political, expressing views on love and war. This show followed suit. Even Coldplay's older material ("Yellow," "Clocks," "The Scientist") seemed to acquire more depth and punch.

Visuals: Well conceived and creative, from the opening march (the band appeared waving sparkler torches, with an image of Delacroix's "Liberty Leading the People" in the background) to the blizzard of butterfly confetti for "Lovers in Japan." Included jump-cut videos, screens shaped like Japanese lanterns, hallucinogenic lasers and a flurry of huge yellow balloons.

Locomotion: Two smaller stages were set up at the rear of the first tier and front of the third one. Coldplay moved to these -- raced, actually -- and performed a few tunes for faraway fans. Mini-sets there included an acoustic cover of the Monkees' "I'm a Believer."

Cons: Coldplay's faux-military costumes evoked a few giggles; after all, brass buttons, ornamental patches and shiny epaulettes are so Michael Jackson. Martin hit a few bum notes, and if you're immune to his spell, some of his theatrics would make your eyes roll.

Verdict: A highly entertaining show with a life-affirming sensibility. Also, Coldplay offered everyone a free live CD on the way out. What's not to like about that?

http://blog.al.com

Eeek, that's so cool, especially about the soundcheck! I would've died :P Can you tell us any more details about Everything's Not Lost? Did they just break into it spontaneously, or did it seem like they were practicing it to play it live? And did it sound awesome???

(sorry, I'm just obsessed with that song *points to username and sig* :lol:)

And that's crazy that people were trying to steal LRLRL, I would've been scared to hand them out :uhoh: I don't understand why they're making the Oxfam volunteers do it :shrug:

Awesome vids and pics, Angie!!

Have you come back to Earth or are you still worshipping at the Jonny Alter?:D

Hopeing the rest of the shows will be as wonderful for you- and with better hotels:dozey:;)

My long overdue review.

Well starting off my brother and I where two of the Oxfam volunteers. We got to Pelham at around 2PM and we decided to hang out a the Oak Mountain Park while we wait. We got to the venue around 4:30 and waited in front of the box office as we were told. We talked a little bit with the other volunteers who were all really nice and cool. Around 5, Soha came out with somebody to unlock the gates for us. We headed for the tent, introduced ourselves, we were given instructions and such, we got our gears(fanny packs, umbrellas, clipboard, bandannas, etc.). We did a little practicing of approaching people and such. We also talked about the CD give away at the end of the concert and see how we can improve from the last two concerts. From then on we were pretty much just walking around talking to people, getting them to sign the petition. I saw two of my friends, whom I gave my original tickets too(which I found out later wasn't all that bad, they got a really good up close of the band). Time went by pretty fast during that and next thing I knew it's time to go to our seats. We all met up at the tent and Soha gave us our tickets.

We had a few minutes of waiting and finally the cue song came on and the band came in with sparklers.. so cool! LiT was amazing, kinda wish I was there for the full version though. I love the screen, the lighting, and all the crazy stuff the band did during their set. It was a really enchanting show and I couldn't help but be mesmerized by all of it. Chris is INSANE.. and I LOVE him for it. I love the little antics he did throughout the show. I was so glad that they sang Politik because it's become one of my favorites after hearing it in the Live 2003 album. I love the yellow balloons being thrown up in the air during Yellow. It was nice actually hearing the songs live.. it's so much better. As for my brother he was beside me taking (not so well) pictures. He'll never admit it, but I know he had a lot of fun too. (I may have dragged him into going with me). When the band ran to the stage near the back I thought I was about to die. My friends were sitting practically right in front of them! I kinda regret giving them those tickets now. They sang Green Eyes, Death Will Never Conquer, and I'm A Believer.. which was interesting. We did a cellphone wave about 3 times. Chris asked the crowed if they're in love and if so sing 'ooh'. He then asked the same to Johnny, Guy and Will.. hilarious. But I admit I kinda thought the crowd was a little.. lame in comparison to what I expected. Oh well, I had fun singing along, clapping, dancing, and shouting along with (the bubbly) Seri, who was also an Oxfam volunteer.

After Lovers In Japan the rest of the volunteers had to go to the gates and get ready to hand out the CDs. I thought that part went pretty well, nothing bad happened and I think most of everyone who wanted a CD got it. There was a part when the big crowd started leaving.. that was a little overwhelming. I was practically pushed up against the table because there were so many people. It wasn't so bad, and it's kinda funny when people try to grab an empty box or they make up some excuse about getting one for someone else. After handing out the CDs, I got my merchandise. It was my first Coldplay concert so I HAD to have at least a t-shirt. I bought 2 t-shirts, one with the sepia picture of the band and the LiT one, which I'm wearing right now. I wanted to get the hat like the one Johnny wears but I was short $5, so I thought I'd just get online. I found out yesterday that it's not online anymore. :( .

My brother and I got back to the tent one last time to say goodbye. We got a few things like some pamphlet about Oxfam, a petition sheet, and some other stuff. We said goodbye to Soha and then left. We didn't get home till about 1AM and I was pretty sore, tired and my voiced cracked a little bit, but I was all worth it. I felt really good about volunteering for a good cause and I definitely want to do it again. I'm more interested about Oxfam now and I'll probably consider some of the ideas the other volunteers and Soha had talked about, other ways I can help Oxfam.

Eeek, that's so cool, especially about the soundcheck! I would've died :P Can you tell us any more details about Everything's Not Lost? Did they just break into it spontaneously, or did it seem like they were practicing it to play it live? And did it sound awesome???

(sorry, I'm just obsessed with that song *points to username and sig* :lol:)

ENL was the first song they all played together at the sound check, and they played it in it's entirety, which sounded like they've been playing it a lot. It sounded perfect. So perhaps they'll be adding it to the set list soon!!

And the roadie I talked to was not Roadie #42....but I DID see him!!!!!! omg!

I am screaming so much in the videos. Not sure I want to post them. :curtain:

Anyway I found 2 more dragon pics.

ColdplayBirmingham5-18-090132.jpg

ColdplayBirmingham5-18-090122.jpg

Weeeeeeee!

Took venue forever to open. Thought gates would be at 6:30 but they didn't open until almost 6:50. I had an extra ticket and was going to give it to Oxfam for one of their volunteers, but couldn't find an Oxfam table and didn't see anyone wlaking around signing people up. :confused: Oh well, no time for that crap had to check out me seat. I had row D and the way stage was set up mini ramps come out over seats and so all rows in front of me where closed and security dude says " bet you didn't think you would be on row 1" :D He was way cool and told me band would be exiting stage right in front of me.

Him: Do you know they have a woman security chief?

Me: :dozey: Oh Jackie, yeah she doesn't like me.

Him: she's a bitch.

me: bwahahahaha I KNOW DUDE!

Him: She made me get off my cell phone. Why doesn't she like you, you seem like a nice person.

me: :angel: :P because I go to so many shows.

him: well you pay her salary, she should be nicer to you.

me: I KNOW! :laugh3: I know we aren't supposed to shoot video during the show but Chris jumps around so fast my camera can't even focus on him. Can I shoot just a wee bit?

him: I don't care. Just don't let the dragon lady catch you.

:lol:

:laugh3: Awesome!!!!!!

Just wanna point out that this is a LION, not dragon.

Yep! Lion!

:lol: Told her I will see her in 2 weeks in Indy. She said I needed to join her facebook thing, but I don't do facebook. :\ After I talked to her, I saw Miller, said hi....saw Franksie, said hi....saw Hoppy, said hi.....the kids sitting next to me where :stunned: how do you know these people! :lol:

OOO facebook! :wideeyed:

Wooo, good CJ capturing. :wideeyed:

There was quite a lingering hand holding at the end of your epic video too :wacky:

Yeah there was! :wink3: :love:

I also caught Guy going semi backstage to take off his coat......you can't hide from us!

yeah baby take it off!!!! :wink3:

046.jpg

047.jpg

Haha! That's a great catch!

beautiful shots.Guy looks so nice in his red coat,not messy.He and Will always look like their clothes are pressed .Chris and Jonny look like a mess even they are gorgeous..

They are more messed-looking from all the onstage bumping and grinding. :wink3:

OK everyone line up and show me their tummies. :D

Why did you have your camera on his FACE? BELLY my dear! Belly! :P I kid, I kid. Nothing's more beautiful than his face. It's a great vid. :kiss:

Wow, so many awesome pics and videos! Thanks so much Angie! :dance: :thumbsup: :wacky:

She's at Washington airport FINALLY on her way home, thank fuck!

How dare she go somewhere and not be on here! :angry:

:P

Mel,

:whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip:

:D

Viva.jpg

Coldplay was unbelievable. The above shot was taken before Coldplay took the stage at the Verizon Wireless Music Center in Shelby County Alabama. I would pay good money to see them again right now. I recorded about 4 songs on my Blackberry, but I will not subject you to those poor quality videos.

http://bessemeropinions.blogspot.com/2009/05/coldplay-and-cia-stuff.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 13 videos and 200+ pictures on my myspace if anyone wants to see them.

myspace.com/nickdillman

idk if they are private or not. so just add me.

also.

this was the greatest/best/most wonderful day of my life. The tickets were one of my graduation presents :D I would have wrote a review months ago, but i couldn't find this thread :)