✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

01-Jun-2009: Darien Lakes, Buffalo, NY, USA

Hey everyone! I just posted my photos from the Darien Lake show. I ended up standing right up against the fence on the C Stage with Eric, another volunteer from Oxfam America. I've uploaded the photos on flickr. I'll be uploading some video that I also shot of "I'm a Believer" soon!

Enjoy!

Coldplay Viva La Vida Tour (Darien Lake Performing Arts Center -- June 1, 2009)

Loving those pics :D I use the exact same camera for my gig photos and the good photos normally turn out quite well. You were really close to the boys :bomb:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lucked out. After talking with a couple fans while canvassing with Oxfam America, we ended up working as a team to create a buffer zone to protect our spots from some of the notorious "shovers" in the crowd. It was great seeing the boys up close again and I was also able to snag a guitar pick from one of the roadies!

Hey everyone! I just posted my photos from the Darien Lake show. I ended up standing right up against the fence on the C Stage with Eric, another volunteer from Oxfam America. I've uploaded the photos on flickr. I'll be uploading some video that I also shot of "I'm a Believer" soon!

Enjoy!

Coldplay Viva La Vida Tour (Darien Lake Performing Arts Center -- June 1, 2009)

THESE.ARE.AWESOME, thanx! :shocked2:

http://www.mydrivefm.com/pages/coldplay.html

There's an interview with WIll and pictures :)

Oh.....thanx! :surprised:

Great Review. You weren't the only one with the jacket. I met two guys who had it too! You should post some pics of your jacket!

I totally agree with your review. I am to lazy to write one up. Haha, but I totally agree it went to fast to take it all in. I am happy this was your first Coldplay show! :)

You mean these:

3860_12439518321.jpg

Just came across it on the google blog search :D One as long as that deserves posting in full, not just linking!

How can I possibly sum up the amazing experience I had last night? Where do I even begin? Well, I suppose I could start by saying that no words I use could possibly do it justice. I'm talking about the incredible show put on at Darien Lake by one of the biggest rock groups around and by far my favorite band, Coldplay. Of course, there's no way I can write an objective review of the concert, being as huge a fan as I am, but seeing them live for the first time seemed to make it very clear to me just why they've had such a strong hold on me as well as on listeners around the world, if ever I had questioned this before. I really hope, and sincerely believe, that if there was anyone who doubted the band's musical power in the audience last night, their mind was changed by the phenomenal performance given.

My sister and I arrived at the venue slightly early, and waited in a huge line for a bit until the doors opened. I was sporting a Viva La Vida shirt and the black military-style jacket I had bought specifically for the concert and had decorated with colorful armbands made from bandanas, to replicate Chris Martin's style. I actually only saw one other person wearing a similar jacket, which surprised me...I guess I was more hardcore than most of the people there. After chugging some free Vitamin Water that was handed to us, we entered the venue, and found our seats which were slightly better than I had expected, in section 201. The opening acts, an Australian group called Howling Bells and indie-rocker Pete Yorn, were pretty good; unfortunately, the place was more than half empty for their performances, and those who were present seemed to pay them little attention. I hoped that trend wouldn't continue for the headliner. Before long, that classical piece that everyone recognizes but few seem to know the name of (The Blue Danube by Johann Strauss) played, signaling that the show would start soon. I got ridiculously excited, knowing that the moment I had waited for so long was almost here. On the last note of the song, the lights went down, and we all started screaming as hard as we could while four sparklers held aloft appeared behind a veil on the stage, and a recorded version of Life In Technicolor began to play. The lights came up and the band went right into the rocking Violet Hill, a song that always blows me away with its power. Right from the getgo, I was impressed by the energy of the audience, which was on its feet and merrily singing and screaming throughout the entire show. I had assumed that Coldplay were not very popular in Buffalo, which would translate into a weak reception by the crowd, but I was completely wrong, it seems.

The boys romped through hit after hit, and with each song I tried to sing more loudly and scream more shrilly, though by about the third song in I had almost lost my voice already. My sister didn't seem to have any problem with this, of course! I couldn't believe how fast it seemed to be going by. Let's see...In My Place, probably one of my favorites, was so upbeat and electrifying, with Jonny's awesome guitar riff; Clocks was definitely a highlight, as this was the song that first made me fall in love with them, and is still one of their best, with the laser-light show accenting the music; Yellow was brilliant, with the flashing yellow lights and balloons of the same color bouncing about the crowd; Glass Of Water, a newer song, was amazing with its anthemic 7/8 time chorus, and seems to have been made with this type of show in mind; 42 was also memorable, starting off as a Beatles-esque piano ballad and becoming incredibly upbeat in the second half, finally to return to the piano ballad in the end, with Chris panting and pretending to be out of breath right before letting out a long, beautiful, piercingly pure note to end the song (he made a glance-at-watch gesture in the middle of this note--ah, I love him!); Strawberry Swing was beautifully mellow and really didn't need any extra effects, because it's so well written; Fix You was propelled by the audience's singing, and was beautiful and moving as always. Then the band moved to a small stage set up on our level, in the section directly next to us. We all climbed on our chairs to see better, ignoring the scolding of a security guard. It was incredible being that close to the band. From there, they did their techno remix of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face and Talk (I still need to get an audio version of this, because I really like how they've changed it) and then Chris played his piano solos, The Hardest Part and Postcards From Far Away. He also took the opportunity here to talk to the crowd a bit, charmingly as always. He made a mistake at the beginning of The Hardest Part, after which he just laughed and said, "Ok, seriously now!" and started again. He's never afraid to admit when he's messed up, which is one of many things I love about him. A girl next to me kept shouting "I LOVE YOU CHRIS" throughout this set, so I wasn't alone.

After this, they went into the song that has brought them such huge fame and success, the song that everyone had been waiting for, Viva La Vida, and the whole place erupted in singing and screaming. Drummer Will is really a force to be reckoned with on that song, with his pulsating timpani and clanging church bell. At the end of that song, after wildly dancing about the stage, Chris "collapsed" on his back, at which point the audience began to chant "Woah-oh-oh" from the song to "revive" him. I think I was the first one in my section to start this, while everyone else was just screaming, because I knew what we were supposed to do and wanted everyone else to catch on too, which they did. Lost! came after this, with the Magic Balls hanging overhead (that's seriously what they're called) flashing various colors to the music. Chris followed suit with more of his antics, including a brightly colored Chinese dragon head which he wore for a brief time. That was completely random, but I loved it!

Then the band ran to a stage in the back, right in the lawn, to play an acoustic set. One lady near me kept repeating, "Now THAT is cool," and I'd have to agree. It shows that they really care about their fans and are willing to do whatever it takes to connect to them and make the show feel more intimate, something that can be difficult in an amphitheatre of this size. They did Green Eyes (to which the girl next to me responded, "CHRIS I HAVE BLUE EYES!!"), then a little improvised ditty about it being Monday or something (Chris seemed to like this) followed by Death Will Never Conquer as sung by Will, who actually has a really good voice, and a cover of The Monkees' I'm A Believer, a wonderfully goofy singalong. At the end of this, Chris asked each band member individually: "Are you in love?" to which each responded with a resounding "Ooooo," Jonny's being the lowest in pitch. This was followed by what has been dubbed the Mexican Cellphone Wave, a choreographed wave of light that sweeps across the audience. THAT was cool.

After this, they returned to the main stage to play the pounding Politik, the uplifting Lovers In Japan which featured a film of Japanese scenes, an adorable paper umbrella carried by Chris, and TONS of rainbow-colored paper butterfly confetti that was shot out across the audience. This was probably my favorite moment of the show, and the one which I had most highly anticipated. They finished with Death And All His Friends, then came back out for The Scientist (another of my favorites) and Life In Technicolor ii, bringing the show full-circle.

After the show, we scooped up as many paper butterflies as we could, then headed for the exit, me utterly speechless, to pick up our free live album, LeftRightLeftRightLeft, which is given out to everyone who attends a show this summer. It seems they've finally worked out how to distribute these properly, and we had no problem each getting a copy. I felt sorry for the venue worker who had the job of standing at the side with a megaphone, announcing over and over that everyone would be given a CD, one per person...he seemed to be getting incredibly bored saying the same thing over and over, so he tried to liven up his message with some silly jokes and even attempted a Southern accent. I must say, the album is really amazing, and it's great that they did this, as a reward to the fans; it must not have been cheap.

In retrospect, I deifinitely would say the show lived up to my high expectations. It was so magical and emotional and just amazing beyond words for me. My only complaint is that is seemed to go by too quickly for me to take it all in. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to see them live, and I'm already thinking about possibly going again this summer if I can. I feel I must echo the phrase I read in a review of a different show on this tour: life-affirming. This seems to be a very apt description of one of their shows. Sure, some of their music is sad and slow and heart-wrenching, but the overall effect of their music and their concerts is rather very uplifting, and I would say soul-soothing. It just leaves you with this incredible warm, contented feeling, something which most of today's music just can't do. Another thing I noticed which I feel is worth mentioning is the diversity of the crowd at the show. I was astounded by the amount of children there, some even younger than my fourteen-year-old sister. Of course, there were plenty of teenage girls, but I also saw an older couple in front of us with their arms around each other, swaying to the music (this particularly touched me), a family of pre-teen boys and their mother, two drunk ladies dancing about wildly, and others I wouldn't have expected to see at a Coldplay show. This is a testament to the accessibility and universality of their music. It truly draws people of all ages, from all walks of life, men and women alike.

Kudos to Coldplay for bringing true musicality and artistry back to popular music. They have really created something truly meaningful, something most other bands could only dreaming of achieving. I love that their music is considered rock, yet is still so melodious and emotionally charged and brilliantly written as to be called beautiful, and it really is just that. I feel like I owe everything to these four amazing British guys, whose music has brought me so much inspiration and happiness over the years, and I think I can honestly say it has changed my life.

"No I don't wanna battle from beginning to end, I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge, I don't wanna follow Death and all of his friends."

http://mikohana.livejournal.com/6383.html

Great Review. You weren't the only one with the jacket. I met two guys who had it too! You should post some pics of your jacket!

I totally agree with your review. I am to lazy to write one up. Haha, but I totally agree it went to fast to take it all in. I am happy this was your first Coldplay show! :)

Thank you! :D I'm glad there were others there wearing jackets. My jacket doesn't look nearly as good as theirs, though!

And YAY thanks for posting it, Jenjie! Sorry about the length, I just wanted to recount every detail! :D I'm so happy people are reading it.

i was a couple people to the right of those guys in the pit, chris said he liked their jackets to them during viva la vida i have the video! haha

it was an amazing concert and chris gave my one friend his harmonia during green eyes at the lawn stage! i was so jealous.

You mean these:

3860_12439518321.jpg

That's them. Matt and Alex. Actually, I am right behind Matt (the taller one) in that picture, you just can't see me ( well you can only see my leg and my bag ) because I am short! Haha!

Thank you! :D I'm glad there were others there wearing jackets. My jacket doesn't look nearly as good as theirs, though!

And YAY thanks for posting it, Jenjie! Sorry about the length, I just wanted to recount every detail! :D I'm so happy people are reading it.

So, I am sure yours is good too, I mean anyone who spends time making a jacket, I give them credit.

And, thanks for following me on twitter, I am a pretty boring person to follow, but I appreciate it :)

i was a couple people to the right of those guys in the pit, chris said he liked their jackets to them during viva la vida i have the video! haha

it was an amazing concert and chris gave my one friend his harmonia during green eyes at the lawn stage! i was so jealous.

JEALOUS! :shocked2: