✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

01-Jun-2009: Darien Lakes, Buffalo, NY, USA

You're welcome. :nice: Yeah, the seats weren't too bad! Next time I'd like to be in the pit though. But this was good for my first show. And I didn't want to let the camera distract me from properly enjoying it. :D Because my camera sucks, I knew it wouldn't really be worth it.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also just got back from Darien Lake, I had seen them in Cleveland and let me tell you this was a way better crowd, atmosphere, and performance. Really great, Everyone was into it and oh I go to touch all the band members as the walked to the C stage. That was cool. Great show and now I feel so satisfied!

Yay! I'm glad you had a good time too. And I agree about the crowd, it was really amazing. Wow, you got to touch them?? Awesome! :dance:

I'm gonna go to bed now...good night everyone! :nice: I'll write a really long review in my blog tomorrow if anyone's interested, and I'll see if I can get more pics and some videos up.

I just got home after 2 hours sitting in the parking lot :cry: Amazing show...my 3rd time seeing them and it never gets old. My seats were on the end in section 204, and I gave Chris a hi-5 on his way to the lawn stage...pretty cool! I was amazed at the variety of people there. Every age group, every ethnicity, all there belting out their favorite Coldplay songs. It was really quite amazing, the most diverse crowd I've seen at a concert.

Coldplay is one fine specimen of arena rock

Big, glorious rock concerts are like magic shows. You don't want to look too hard for the invisible wires and trap doors. Just watch and listen.

So it was Monday night at Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, with Coldplay and 12,000 people lustily cheering all of the tricks, as familiar as they may be.

There was the confetti-filled balloon drop, retina-searing lasers, beery sing-alongs by the audience and the entire band exiting and re-appearing on a tiny stage halfway up one of the pavilion aisles, on which all four guys could hardly fit, for an intimate set of songs amidst their fans.

It's all in the name of arena-rock fun. The band took the stage backlit behind a screen, Kabuki Coldplay, twirling sparklers for an opening instrumental, "Life in Technicolor," followed by "Violet Hill" and what remains Coldplay's best song, "Clocks." Front man Chris Martin is a kinetic clown, hippity-hopping and teetering about the stage, commanding attention, and even showing a sense of humor: Holding one long caterwauling note, he glanced at his watch.

They mixed booming arena-rock bass with charming acoustic numbers, including, no kidding, the Monkees' "I'm a Believer."

Coldplay has now reached the exalted level from which it can charge fans more than $100 for a ticket, although I find it harder to excuse asking $9 for a can of Bud Light. It's getting a lot harder to catch a buzz to go with that ringing in your ears. At that price, I'd expect to be served by Gwyneth Paltrow.

Speaking of which, and in answer to the most-asked question of the day, the actor-wife of Martin did not appear to be on the site, unless Paltrow was giving backstage yoga lesson to the roadies. She's been spotted elsewhere along this tour, so perhaps western New York doesn't rate.

The crowd hardly took note of the unbilled opener, the Howling Bells, and chatted socially through Pete Yorn, who introduced a new song, "Long Time," that sounded like Neil Young at his achingly beautiful best. Honest, rootsy rock, but no stage show to speak of. Just enough light to see their guitar strings.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090602/LIVING0105/906020328/-1/COLUMNS/Coldplay+is+one+fine+specimen+of+arena+rock

So, best concert of my life! Better than last time I saw coldplay! Anywhos, I got video of almost the whole show, until my camera battery died during Death and All His Friends. So, I didnt get the Scientist or LIT2/Escapist. Once I figure out how to put them on youtube I will link.

I also ended up getting two of the yellow balloons from Yellow. It was pretty amazing. Met some awesome people since I got there at 2. What else, oh yeah, a whole shopping bag of butterflies.

Basically, I am the happiest person ever! :)

Sorry - I don't twitter guys... but we were in the PIT with only 3 people in front of us... the most AMAZING SEATS EVER (ok - no seats in the pit... but you know what I mean).

I'm uploading photos to our web site right now - check them out at http://www.sandtent.com/coldplay. My wife took down the set list in her phone - I'll try and post that later.

This is my 2nd Coldplay concert (saw them last year in Toronto - and will see them again next month in Toronto). Not as good a show as Toronto - I think the fans up there are more into Coldplay (it's such a shame that Buffalo doesn't respect them as much... I was listening to WGR yesterday evening - and the guys were just bashing them... "U2 wannabees, Theft, Rip offs" - I was so pissed off - but it seems to be the mindset here... it's such a shame.

I think Coldplay felt it too - there was no 2nd encore (as Coldplay has been known to do)... energy was there from the band - just the crowd wasn't as pumped as it could have been. :(

Hey everyone! I'll be posting my photos and videos from the front row of C stage in the lawn seats by the end of the day! I had a spectacular time volunteering with Oxfam America and meeting up with a bunch of Coldplay fans and coldplaying.com members. Keep looking for my photos and video of "I'm a Believer!"

The show is happening, but no major Coldplayers at it, unfortunately. :( This is Western NY we're talking about, out in the middle of nowhere! :P (I say so lovingly because I spend about 3/4 of the year up there)

Um, be sure you read all of the posts before saying no major coldplayers will be at the show. Just some friendly teasing. Yes, Buffalo is out there in the middle of nowhere, but the show was absolutely fantastic and many coldplayers were actually in attendance!

Um, be sure you read all of the posts before saying no major coldplayers will be at the show. Just some friendly teasing. Yes, Buffalo is out there in the middle of nowhere, but the show was absolutely fantastic and many coldplayers were actually in attendance!

Hey Joe, it's alex! From before the show, remember!! It was really nice to meet you! :)

thanks for the reviews & pics guys :D its all appreciated

didn't realise Coldplayers had got so spoilt. :o Prior to 2008, there were no pre-organised show threads and all you got was what people felt like posting if they could be bothered :p

Jeff Miers review from The Buffalo News.

Add to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin’s talent that of tightrope walker. Monday, before what appeared to be a full house, the Coldplay singer deftly managed to be both arena-rock ringmaster and earnest songsmith. If you think that’s an easy wire to walk, well, then you’ve never tried to do it yourself.

Coldplay has been touring its Gram-my- winning, multi-platinum “Viva la Vida” album for more than a year, which means that the band should by now be both bushed and sick to death of the material they wrote and recorded with alternative music icon Brian Eno some three years-plus ago. Most bands just go out there and do their business, faking it qualifying as one of the many things the fans won’t notice at a big gig with bright lights and the rest.

Monday, Coldplay did something else. It proved itself to be a band worthy of the hype it has generated. And at the same time, it made a dazzling display of that fact that popular music might be at once accessible to those who only casually care and an object of extreme import to those who take such things quite seriously.

I’m not sure any back-story is needed here, but in case it is, we’ll keep it short. Coldplay is a British band formed in 1998, one that owes an incredible debt to the anthemic, incredibly melodic work done by U2, but one that is clearly seeking to do something with its own art that will last long after the past five and future 10 American Idol posers have wrapped up their careers and assumed their rightful positions as talk show hosts. (No offense.)

Monday’s show started with the band running onto the stage holding lit sparklers aloft as a prerecorded version of “Life in Technicolor” blasted through the PA. Then the band broke into “Violet Hill,” the first of many songs from “Viva la Vida” it would play throughout the evening. By the time the band tore into its second song, Martin already owned the crowd. It didn’t let up from there.

Most of the set revolved around the “Viva” material, which was fine with the crowd. In fact, that crowd greeted every Jonny Buckland guitar figure, every understated but beautiful pulse offered by the rhythm section of bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion, like the golden chord signifying the return of the gods to their proper place in the sky. Though the band itself, even while moving between satellite stages set up near the rear of the amphitheatre and out on the lawn, maintained a humble stance throughout, it was difficult to receive them as much less than conquering heroes.

Even after closing with what felt like the emotional peak of the evening in “Death and All His Friends,” the band returned for a torrid run through “The Scientist,” another song that rather vividly displays Coldplay’s ability to be both a pop band and a band that actually matters, musically speaking.

And, on the way out, every attendee was handed a copy of the band’s “LeftRightLeftRight,” a live album, gratis. That’s about as good as it gets.

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/music/story/689929.html

Great review :nice:

"but one that is clearly seeking to do something with its own art that will last long after the past five and future 10 American Idol posers have wrapped up their careers and assumed their rightful positions as talk show hosts. (No offense.)"

hahaha :lol:

Hey everyone! I just posted my photos from the Darien Lake show. I ended up standing right up against the fence on the C Stage with Eric, another volunteer from Oxfam America. I've uploaded the photos on flickr. I'll be uploading some video that I also shot of "I'm a Believer" soon!

Enjoy!

Coldplay Viva La Vida Tour (Darien Lake Performing Arts Center -- June 1, 2009)

Hey everyone! I just posted my photos from the Darien Lake show. I ended up standing right up against the fence on the C Stage with Eric, another volunteer from Oxfam America. I've uploaded the photos on flickr. I'll be uploading some video that I also shot of "I'm a Believer" soon!

Enjoy!

Coldplay Viva La Vida Tour (Darien Lake Performing Arts Center -- June 1, 2009)

really great photos!! :D