✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

01-Jun-2009: Darien Lakes, Buffalo, NY, USA

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that true that the traffic would be really bad that day?

I'm planing to go to Bufflao by train May 31st, but how could I get there if the traffic become too bad?

What time do you guys think my suppose to leave Buffalo?

I have 2 GA pit tickets for sale, face value.

I can no longer attend as I've opted to go to Lollapalooza instead!

Hi Kristen....hope you're having a good Friday. I seent you a message asking if you still have those tickets.

Howard

Coldplay, ‘at a peak,’ gives back

806-bn-20090530-C001-coldplayatapeak-248737-MI0001.embedded.prod_affiliate.50.jpg

“The band is playing better than ever,” says Coldplay guitarist Jonny Buckland, shown with singer Chris Martin.

When you walk into Darien Lake’s Performing Arts Center on Monday evening for the highly anticipated Coldplay concert, you’ll be handed a free copy of the band’s live album, “LeftRightLeftRight.”

Of course, you might already have the album; the band has been offering it for free download via its Web site for the past few weeks.

At a time when the mantra in the music business seems to be “Get what you can while you can, then get out,” why is one of the most commercially successful rock bands on the planet giving its music away, in a move mirroring the model created by one of its biggest influences, Radiohead?

“It really is not meant to be some radical gesture or anything,” says guitarist Jonny Buckland, speaking to The News by phone as he prepared to embark on the final leg of Coldplay’s “Viva la Vida” tour.

“It was as simple as, ‘Let’s record the shows right now as a document,’ because we all feel that the band has been playing better than ever, and that the audiences have been fantastic in terms of interaction, singing along, really seeming to be completely involved in the show. We wanted to capture that, and then it just seemed like it would be a nice gesture to give it away, as a way of saying ‘Thanks, guys.’ Maybe subconsciously we were thinking of what Radiohead did with ‘In Rainbows,’ but we really just wanted to capture the band at a peak, and offer something to our fans. It really was as simple as that.”

It’s not surprising that Buckland and his bandmates are reeling from the collective energy they’ve been channeling on stage. The band has been touring be-

hind it’s Grammy-winning, multiplatinum “Viva la Vida” album for more than a year, during which time the occasional controversy — allegations of plagiarism that have come to naught, the recent cancellation of shows due to illness, on-stage mishaps involving pyrotechnics — have done little to slow the runaway train of the band’s success.

When this new leg of the tour wraps up in the fall, the band will have performed the “Viva la Vida”-based set hundreds of times over the course of more than two years. So how has the group managed to maintain an emotional connection with the music?

“We do switch things up a bit — change some arrangements, introduce some different songs and so forth,” says Buckland. “Happily, we really love what we’re doing. If we didn’t, it would be torture to get out there and do it over and over again! (laughs) The energy the crowd brings is really what keeps it fresh. It’s pretty difficult to go on autopilot and feel at all bored when 25,000 people are going nuts and singing along.”

Buckland’s role in Coldplay is much like the position occupied by the Edge in U2. He seems like the quiet one in the outfit, but his subtle approach to what is clearly a deep musicality is a big part of what makes Coldplay’s grandiose, emotional, broadly melodic and anthemic rock resonate. As a guitarist, Buckland is more concerned with adding texture, color and depth to the music than he is with showing off..

“I’m glad you mention the Edge, because, yeah, in terms of an approach to finding something important to say within the music, without trying to draw too much attention to yourself — he’s kind of the king of that,” Buckland says. “I also really love Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine — that music was hugely important to me growing up. It had a big effect on the way I play, certainly.”

In the thick of the abundant success granted “Viva la Vida,” when life in Coldplay must have already felt like attempting to have a nice, quiet cup of tea in the middle of a hurricane, Buckland’s life became even more complex — he and his longtime girlfriend welcomed a daughter, their first child, into the world.

“You’d think it would’ve made life even crazier, but in fact, it’s really grounded me,” says Buckland of fatherhood. “Really, what it does is grant you perspective — you realize how insignificant the things that used to obsess you are, you know? So in that sense, it’s like a huge unburdening, a big sigh of relief.”

Simultaneous with the current tour, Buckland and the band are working on new material, and planning to reconvene with the legendary Brian Eno, who produced “Viva la Vida,” once the tour wraps.

“That’s the thing — we’re looking to the future already,” says Buckland. “We’re really grateful for the success, obviously, but the thing that keeps us going is the music. I really do feel that we have so much more to discover, so many new places to go, musically. And that’s incredibly exciting.”

Concert Preview

Coldplay, with guest Pete Yorn

7 p. m. Monday, Darien Lake Performing Arts Center

http://www.buffalonews.com/

Squee! Jonny talking to the Buffalo News! Very nice interview. :D

Yeah, I've heard people on here talking about getting upgraded by roadies and security people, etc. I'm not really sure how it works but I want to get there early to have a chance. Maybe 4:30? 5:00? Doors open at 6. It would be great to meet up with people there! :nice:

Oh, and just so you guys all know, I found out that the park at Darien Lake is only open on weekends until the end of June. So it won't be open the day of the show. :cry: I suppose I never knew that because I never before wanted to go this early in the summer.

I'm leaving for buffalo tomorrow morning!

Ha~ nice weather coming up, both Sunday and Monday!

Coldplay has a nice weather traveling too!

Hey guys, I'm new here.

I'm looking for people to carpool to Darien Lake Centre from Buffalo.

ljoswego, how are you getting to darien lake centre from buffalo? maybe we could carpool? I have two people including me who want to go there..

4 Seats for sale in 203, row 4!

Anyone want to purchase seats still for tomorrow's concert??? I've got 4 seats, all together in section 203, Row 4, Seats 5-8. I'm asking what I paid for them, $125 or best offer. We purchased these first and then a few days later got seats in the 100's... I've been trying to sell these for the past few weeks... I love Coldplay, but it seems people in Buffalo here don't share my thinking - or at least not what they're worth! :(

Anyone know anyone who wants these seats? Please let me know!!! I'll meet you at Darrien Lake and hand them to you or work out some other arrangement! Thanks!!! I can't wait!!! :)

Be sure to stop by the Oxfam table tomorrow at the show. I'll be wearing a jacket quite similar to Chris' military jacket. Stop by, sign up to join Oxfam America's mailing list, pick up a "Viva La Coldplay" sign that a few of us Coldplayers made for last summer's Philly show, and say hello!

Darien

Hi everyone! I'll also be going to the show at Darien tomorrow night! Got a ticket in the Pit!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I was just at Darien for the DMB show. It poured as soon as they came out, the rain came off the tent and flowed to the wall at the front of the stage and basically made a 3 foot wide moat across the whole front of the amphitheater. Several areas of the 100 sections were flooded with water. Then the power went out and they ran on generators for most of the show. It was crazy! But the tent itself was also leaking! Several of my friends that were scattered all over in there said there was water leaking on them. And at the very front of the stage, there was several leaks in the tent and rain was getting all over the stage and on equipment. They cut the show short cause the weather was getting worse and they were running low on generator power.

SO, hopefully the weather cooperates or Darien fixes the leaks in the tent or it will be a very interesting show!

Squee! Jonny talking to the Buffalo News! Very nice interview. :D

Yeah, I've heard people on here talking about getting upgraded by roadies and security people, etc. I'm not really sure how it works but I want to get there early to have a chance. Maybe 4:30? 5:00? Doors open at 6. It would be great to meet up with people there! :nice:

Oh, and just so you guys all know, I found out that the park at Darien Lake is only open on weekends until the end of June. So it won't be open the day of the show. :cry: I suppose I never knew that because I never before wanted to go this early in the summer.

Oh man, I am plannin on getting there between 2-3. I wanna be able to hear a soundcheck. And, upgrades! Oh, that would be soo amazing. Yeah, I am soo excited I can't sleep, and I made myself a t-shirt just for the show. Gahh! Listening to Leftrightleftrightleft tooo! :) :)

I can't wait. It better not rain, i don't wanna get soaked. =P

I would love to meet up with people! :).. haha, i don't know how I will know other people are coldplayers, but I can just ask. =P

Be sure to stop by the Oxfam table tomorrow at the show. I'll be wearing a jacket quite similar to Chris' military jacket. Stop by, sign up to join Oxfam America's mailing list, pick up a "Viva La Coldplay" sign that a few of us Coldplayers made for last summer's Philly show, and say hello!

I'll be there to get my sign and say Hi! :)

would anyone going to this show be interested in getting me a bunch of the leftrightleftright albums that are being given away at the end of the show? a bunch of friends and myself really would like the album, and I've got some friends outside of the US that would like a copy. I know you can download it, but we all want hard copies. If anyone wants to help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated and I would pay for the shipping of the cds to me and anything else. Thanks guys and enjoy the show!

good morning new yorkers (or evening for me :P)

hope it's gonna be a lovely day for u guys :sunny:..

have a good time tonight and bring back reviews and photos and videos for us (who are not lucky enough to be there) to enjoy :D