✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

9-Jun-2009: New Orleans Arena, New Orleans, LA, USA

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay warmed up to the New Orleans Arena

Musicians fortunate enough to perform in arenas sometimes act as if they've done their audience a favor simply by showing up. Not Coldplay.

On Tuesday night in a nearly full New Orleans Arena, Coldplay went well beyond the call of duty. The musicians were not, for instance, required to march to the rear of the building and deliver an unabashed unplugged set in the middle of section 109.

Vocalist Chris Martin did not need to alter the lyrics of "Fix You," or quasi-freestyle, to match the concert's setting ("sitting in the place where the Hornets play...I don't know if you know what it means/when you know the musical history of New Orleans").

And Coldplay certainly was under no obligation to distribute free copies of "LeftRightLeftRightLeft," a nine-song live CD recorded earlier on the tour, to attendees as they exited.

But they did all this, and more.

Dressed up in "Les Miserables" chic to match the cover of their current "Viva la Vida" CD, the quartet arrived on stage twirling sparklers. A similarly playful mood prevailed, despite frequent lyrical pathos.

Representatives of Oxfam, an international anti-poverty organization championed by Martin, roamed concourses, but the singer refrained from proselytizing. Instead, he was exceedingly likable as the band's sole source of charisma.

He needled "Jonny Boy" Buckland for the guitarist's alleged reluctance to perform in public ("you chose the wrong profession"). He orchestrated the "first, as far as we know" New Orleans cell phone wave. He literally bent over backwards, touching his skull to the floor. He fought off beach ball-size yellow balloons during "Yellow." He pantomimed taking hits to the body, collapsed in a heap, then sprang to life and arrived back at a microphone on cue.

Taking turns on acoustic guitar and keyboards, he also contributed to a sonic profile that was as crisp as I've ever heard in the unforgiving arena. Behind Martin, drummer Will Champion was particularly aggressive, boosting "Clocks" with extra strikes on his floor tom. Buckland and bassist Guy Berryman were content to render their required parts with precision; Buckland, the anti-guitar hero, churned out chiming notes and riffs.

large_coldplay%20wide%20shot.jpg

All four bunched up at the tip of a stage runway for a techno-beat "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face." Martin's bandmates left him alone at a piano for the "Phil Collins segment of the show," which he likened to "just before Justin Timberlake left NSync and he had a suspicion that he wanted to go on his own."

With that, Martin conjured a lovely "The Hardest Part," his voice easily scaling the necessary heights. Following the instrumental "Postcards From Far Away," the band rejoined him for the rousing "Viva la Vida" title track.

The aforementioned acoustic interlude in the back bleachers spanned the early ballad "Green Eyes" -- with Champion and Buckland on acoustic guitars and Berryman on mandolin -- and "I'm a Believer," the Neil Diamond-penned Monkees hit. Champion also sang "Death Will Never Conquer."

The strobe lights of the driving "Politik" made for a jarring, post-acoustic transition.

Thousands of fluorescent paper butterflies erupted from confetti cannons during "Lovers in Japan." "Death and All His Friends" wrapped up the main set, followed by an encore of "The Scientist" and "Life In Technicolor II."

The career arcs of most arena acts follow a predictable course from that first, ungainly rush of fame to cashing in on recitals of old hits on the nostalgia circuit. Coldplay occupies the sweet spot in between, where experience intersects with still-vibrant creative energies.

Tuesday's well-rounded, confident and compelling show is the result.

Scottish quintet Snow Patrol, the middle act on Tuesday's bill, served up precise, meaty versions of mid-tempo fare that, in temperament and tone, approximates Keane, Death Cab for Cutie and Coldplay. The natural ache in Gary Lightbody's voice illuminated the bittersweet "Run," which he dedicated to New Orleans.

Lightbody and company embraced their assigned role: To warm up the crowd for Coldplay. "You're about to be blown the hell away, I promise you that," Lightbody said.

It was no false promise.

http://blog.nola.com/keithspera/2009/06/coldplay_warmed_up_to_new_orle.html

Aww. How nice of Gary to say that :D

A lot has been said about Coldplay not changing up the setlist much if at all; however, after reading that story, it made me realize that this show is really really awesome. There is a reason I've been drawn to it so many times. Each time they deliver.

What more can we really ask?

I signed up today to give my review of the show but I see Keith Spera of the The Times-Picayune said everything I wanted to say! (If confused by this comment, please see the article Mimixxx posted above!)

I have been a fan of Coldplay since 2000 and this was my first Coldplay concert. It was a fantastic experience! Chris is so charismatic and really seemed to enjoy interacting with the crowd. No matter what I say, it will never be enough to adequately describe the show last night! It was amazing!

How did he sound vocally? Just found this video for The Scientist and he seems to be struggling a little...

I thought he sounded good, although I did not even notice him struggling during The Scientist. I actually found that I they sound much better live than they do recorded, unlike other bands when they perform live. That is just my opinion though.

When does Coldplay take the stage?

Can anyone tell me when coldplay actually took the stage? I am going to a concert in a few days and cannot go right at 7:00. They moved the start time up from 7:30. I want to make sure I am there by the time they go one.

Can anyone tell me when coldplay actually took the stage? I am going to a concert in a few days and cannot go right at 7:00. They moved the start time up from 7:30. I want to make sure I am there by the time they go one.

Coldplay started a little after 9 and the concert started at 7

First off, let me start off by saying that the concert was absolutely amazing. It was my first time seeing them live and it was definitely the best show I've ever been to.

I won backstage passes, so my cousin and I were lucky enough to meet and chat with the band before the show started. The guys were awesome to say the least. There were quite a few moments when I honestly thought that I would faint from sheer happiness :rolleyes: It was definitely one of the best experiences of my life. Hopefully I’ll be able to post some pictures from the show later…

I hope everyone who went had an amazing time :D

First off, let me start off by saying that the concert was absolutely amazing. It was my first time seeing them live and it was definitely the best show I've ever been to.

I won backstage passes, so my cousin and I were lucky enough to meet and chat with the band before the show started. The guys were awesome to say the least. There were quite a few moments when I honestly thought that I would faint from sheer happiness :rolleyes: It was definitely one of the best experiences of my life. Hopefully I’ll be able to post some pictures from the show later…

Wow how awesome for you and your cousin :dance: is that pic in your avi from backstage? :stunned:

Welcome to the board :)

Hey guys.

Below is a link to my facebook album page of all the shows I have gone seen so far this tour. I will admit, I have stolen a couple of pictures from other sources, but only ones where I or the person I'm went with are in (you can tell by the tags). All others are mine :D My sister went to Bonnaroo, and took the camera, so my personal NOLA pics aren't up yet.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=123672&id=547270820&saved#/album.php?page=1&aid=123672&id=547270820

ENJOY!

P.S. I can't remember if it was the beginning of I'm a believer or not, to reply to an earlier post.

WOW, you won backstage passes? Lucky you! :D

Can't wait to see your pics!!

Wow:stunned: that's cool :D What did you talk about to them?

Wow:stunned: that's cool :D What did you talk about to them?

Sadly, as soon as they walked in the room, I forgot every question I had intended to ask them! And of course, I remembered everything I wanted to ask as soon as we left the room :cry: But we did talk a bit about drinking ages (I'm still not entirely sure how we got onto that subject :thinking:). We also all had a good laugh when Chris realized that his pants had been undone the entire time :laugh3:

I can't even remember how I replied to half of what they said. I just hope I didn't say anything too embarrassing :wacky: