✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Shutter Island" - WTF did Scorsese do there??

SueDeNimes

Hi!

I just got back from seeing it in a preview and I have to let out my BIG disappointment. :bigcry:

I knew the reviews weren't that good and I heard everywhere that it wasn't received very well at the Berlin Film Festival...

But I am a huge fan of Leonardo's work, starting with movies like "This boy's life" until now so I went to see the movie and make my own impression.

If this was a first movie by some new filmmaker I'd say "ok, there is potential" but from Martin Scorsese who did "Departed" etc? :wtf:

The story could have made a brilliant movie. This work isn't.

The dream sequences are horribly filmed.

Was the colour of the blood meant to be "art"? His wife turning into ashes did not fit in at all. There are better ways to "picture" a dream. Wasted CGI money.

The music is not tension-inducing but simply awful and does not support the visuals.

The scene with the glass? Seriously? Wow, he tried to trick the viewer to question the events! Well done! [/sarcasm] As if it was sooooo unclear before. How dumb does he think the viewers are? That was unnecessary.

The actor looking like golumn could only make me laugh.

In fact it was so bad that we all had to laugh at some points because it was simply terrible.

Don't get me started on the scene in the car where you can clearly see that they are NOT driving but are in front of a blue / green screen (whatever you call it in English).

With 140 minutes that movie is definitely too long and I was glad when it was over, only the last few minutes were great although it's somewhat confusing to see moving corpses in such an expensive movie.

I need to see another GOOD movie! :embarrassed:

Recently it's just crap coming out in the "blockbuster" department.

Leo was fabulous in "Revolutionary Road" (as he is in all his movies IMO) and he'd deserve an Oscar.

I hope his next choice will be better.

Hmm, yeah, from what I've seen, it's receiving at least moderate praise from most sources. I've seen a few negative reviews but they're a minority. Either way, I have no choice but to see it as part of a class assignment this weekend, so I'll be able to judge for myself then. Who knows, I could end up completely hating it. :P

Either way, I have no choice but to see it as part of a class assignment this weekend, so I'll be able to judge for myself then. Who knows, I could end up completely hating it. :P
Oh cool, please tell me your thoughts if you find the time!

We were three people watching it, all having the same opinion. And from what we heard in the foyer afterwards we weren't the only ones being disappointed.

Last night I went to the IMDB forums and saw that some people really didn't get the movie (especially the end) which is sad.

There are split opinions - people who love it and call it a masterpiece and those who have similar thoughts than I do... ok, happens with all movies. :P

I'm going to have to COMPLETELY disagree with you, my friend.

I thought it was absolute genius. I mean, the way he refrenced Orson Welles and Hitchcock in so many ways, making the movie look so forties was absolutely fantastic.

Have you seen other Scorsese movies? It was obvious to see that the guy playing Andrew Laeddis (the fake one) was doing a fantastic refrence to Di Niro's character in Cape Fear.

The score was unbelievable. The acting was awesome.

We're allowed to have our differences, but honestly, it was one of my favorite movies of the year. :nice: LOVED it!

oh, looks like this one's a miss then...or wait for it to be out in DVD. it did looked interesting from the trailer.

but i wouldn't use The Departed as a Scorsese reference or benchmark...cos he took the movie idea/story/concept/etc from the awesome Hong Kong movie, Infernal Affairs (which itself is better than The Departed, imo).

Oh no, Sue !!

I loved it... Sorry ^^ I didn't read the book before, but I loved the way Scorcese used the movie "technics" (I don't know if the word is correct) to lose the viewer.

I don't know exactly how to translate my feelings in english, but he made me think something, and after that made me show I was wrong. I was surprised, and that's an excellent point. Everything for me in this movie was that you think you know something, but all the time, even in the last picture, he shows us we never know what's really going on. I found that idea really really great. There's always a turnaround... The entire movie is a turnaround.

It isn't the only movie I saw, no.

I still stand by my opinion that it could have been a better movie.

The scene in the Jeep etc.

Lu'kaa - it just wasn't something "new" to me... seemed to be "trying too hard" to me and inconsistent in style.

What do you mean with the last picture?

Him willingly follow to be lobotomised?

Just got back from seeing it. Some parts left me confused (the ending sequence), some parts were very well-thought-out (the anagrams), and some parts were a little predictable (#67). All in all, I thought it was a decent movie but an average Scorsese effort. I thought the acting was great but some of the artistic moments felt a bit sloppy. So I didn't hate it by any stretch of imagination, but it's probably not gonna be one of my top movies of the year.

So yeah. I'm the dude in the middle. 3/5 stars. :dozey:

I really have an itch to watch The Departed now, though, which I've only seen bits and pieces of before.

Thanks for coming back in here, Michael!

I like what you've written and I learned a new word :P (sloppy)!!

I agree about the acting and sloppiness!

Have fun watching The Departed, I'll probably dig out my DVD as well next time I'm clueless what to watch.

Not Scorsese related but have you seen "This Boy's Life"? Wonderful acting by everybody and a great movie. :heart:

The scene in the Jeep etc.

As you should stand by your own opinion, I stand by mine. But I must say that the scene in the Jeep looked fake on purpose, for two reasons my sister and I came up with.

1) It's supposed to look like a forties movie, and in the forties, they used green screens in the background of car scenes. (He took many other ideas from forties Hitchcock and Orson Welles movies as well).

2) (What my sister thinks) It's supposed to look like a fantasy, unreal scene. That's why they used a green screen for a lot of the scenes in the fields.

Hi Christina!

It's ok that we don't share the same opinion about this movie. :)

I certainly don't want to argue!!

Movies touch people / are percieved by everyone differently.

I even don't mind the sticker that I don't "get" what others see as the art of the film.

I have seen other movies and TV series which pictured things like this in a form that I liked a lot better however.

EDIT: That was my 7000th post! :stunned: That came quick haha!

Hmm...I really loved this one. I thought it was really well acted (congrats, Leo) and although the ending was a bit 'predictable' (I was actually wrong about it), I still found myself second-guessing and trying to figure out exactly what was happening.

I agree that there is a lot of shit coming out of Hollywood, but this movie (for me, at least) was a welcome relief from it.

I absolutely loved the very end of the movie. :heart: This is definitely a new favorite of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the book and saw the movie.. (yes in that order :)) and I have to say.... I think he did a decent job.

I particularly liked the dream sequences/flashbacks. I thought they were very arty. Was is an 'Aviator' or 'Gangs of NY'... oh hell no. But it was good. I think it stuck to the book as much as it could... but I did enjoy the book more over the movie.

Music however...... sucked booty. I will agree on that. lol very poorly scored.

I read the book and saw the movie.. (yes in that order :)) and I have to say.... I think he did a decent job.

I particularly liked the dream sequences/flashbacks. I thought they were very arty. Was is an 'Aviator' or 'Gangs of NY'... oh hell no. But it was good. I think it stuck to the book as much as it could... but I did enjoy the book more over the movie.

Music however...... sucked booty. I will agree on that. lol very poorly scored.

That's only to be expected, though, isn't it?

:lol: I've only ever met 1 person who liked the movie (any movie) better than the book.

I didn't think it's bad :uhoh:

Actually, the end confused me a lot, but I like this work about psychology...

Am I the only one who thought everyone was crazy after leaving the cinema? People in the streets looked weird to me, it didn't last long though :tongue: