✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

This is why videos are supposed to be embeddable.

Space Cadet

One of the most awesome videos in the history of the universe: :shocked2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w]YouTube- OK Go - This Too Shall Pass - RGM version[/ame]

...Anyone want to know why that wasn't Strawberry Swing? Try to embed it. Remember that treadmill video these guys did? The one that was embedded across the entire internet? Try embedding it now. Doesn't work. But that's the video that made them famous and made EMI lots of money you say. Yes. But they would rather make 20$ for the video than thousands for the cd.

Why is this one here? EMI made State Farm pay for it for us.

Why does this belong in the lounge rather than music or news? Because it belongs in both and I can't decide which and when you get over your awe, bitching about how stupid record companies can be is a pasttime best suited to the lounge.

...And everyone NEEDS to see that video. :D

Hahaha this vid was awesome :P Got any more info about it? They all shot it in one take?

And I see your point about EMI and I also think that it is not very brilliant.

I'm looking into it. http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/02/18/ok-go-hire-big-brains-for-this-too-shall-pass-video-watch-a-clip/# I keep thinking they must have broken it into overlapping pieces to make it work. But then it's a one-take film job. :thinking:

Outtakes are floating around out there, but they seem to be of practice runs of tiny sections of it. So maybe it was in one take.

They had a bunch of genius physicist types set it up, though.

More stuff here: http://www.spinner.ca/2010/02/25/ok-go-behind-the-scenes-exclusive-video/

According to Wired, it is all one take. ...But it took 60 takes and resets to get it right. :dizzy:

There's a bunch of 'making of' videos on youtube...

Finally found them, but thanks. :D

That OK GO video reminds me very much of this one from The Bravery:

The main difference is, of course, the abundant use of dominoes.

Yeah I keep think of that one. But this one is so much bigger. :rolleyes4:

I don't understand the controversy about embedding or what this thread is, but that's possibly because I don't go on youtube an awful lot and I don't know what you're talking about. And the video is pretty shit, imo, but that's beside the point.

To try and explain my complete confusion at this topic I'm going to break it down.

One of the most awesome videos in the history of the universe: :shocked2:

...Anyone want to know why that wasn't Strawberry Swing? Try to embed it.

I don't know what Strawberry Swing is or why we'd assume it is? First confusing thing. And why would I embed it? Maybe the wording is confusing me.

Remember that treadmill video these guys did? The one that was embedded across the entire internet? Try embedding it now. Doesn't work. But that's the video that made them famous and made EMI lots of money you say. Yes. But they would rather make 20$ for the video than thousands for the cd.

Firstly OK Go were famous over here (UK/Ireland) for a much shittier song then that treadmill one, I think I get you for the rest of it. I think.

Why is this one here? EMI made State Farm pay for it for us.

Well when I broke it down this all got a bit less confusing for me but I still don't understand, at all, the point you're trying to make Mo.

To make it slightly more clear, what's with the embedding news craic? I know that isn't a crystal clear question.

If it is all in real time, then a few parts are impressive, like the glasses making the noise in sync with the track, but things such as the curtain opening don't take a lot of skill to manipulate. I do mean it's a pretty shit video because it's totally pointless, it hardly represents the lyrics of the song, and just lacks any artistic value.

Just put it in a car ad, no need to put it in a music video.

I don't know what Strawberry Swing is or why we'd assume it is? First confusing thing. And why would I embed it? Maybe the wording is confusing me.

You retard, Strawberry Swing is a song with a music video (actually it's a really amazing video), and she's talking about why so many music videos aren't embeddable on other websites. Get with it.

I don't understand the controversy about embedding or what this thread is, but that's possibly because I don't go on youtube an awful lot and I don't know what you're talking about. And the video is pretty shit, imo, but that's beside the point.
Yeah, I can tell.

I kinda get what you're getting at by saying you don't understand, but dude, you're on a music site. I get that you don't follow music much- especially Coldplay- and hey, that's fine.

But when I make references to Coldplay videos on a Coldplay site, and talk about music industry politics on a music website, I think it's a reasonable guess that most more typical passers by might have an inkling about what Strawberry Swing means.

So if you're going to stay out of the music world yet hang around a place with music fans, it's pretty likely you're eventually going to come across something that annoys some of us daily in the music world, but that isn't so relevant to your life or interests.

If you really want to know what's going on, here's how Ok Go's lead singer wrote about the whole controversy in the New York times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/opinion/20kulash.html

My point? My point is that I just got you to watch an Ok Go video by embedding it in this thread. Many other people watched it too. It's likely some lurker had never even heard of Ok Go, but watched the video. You didn't like it. Maybe the lurker didn't either. But by embedding I gave you and him a chance to decide if you like it for yourselves. Just getting people to listen has been scientifically proven to be the most effective way to promote music: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/st_clive_thompson/ If this video had not been embeddable, many people who would watch it by pressing play here in this thread wouldn't bother to link over to Youtube to watch it. By demanding their 4 thousandths of a cent for you to watch their video by disabling embedding, record companies are denying themselves thousands of dollars worth of promotion. It's petty, but they're scared and anal.

You retard, Strawberry Swing is a song with a music video (actually it's a really amazing video), and she's talking about why so many music videos aren't embeddable on other websites. Get with it.

It sounds like chewing gum. I just found the phrasing of the entire post un-necessarily confusing, I know it doesn't help that I haven't followed music in the past 5 years or so, but it wasn't clear.

Yeah, I can tell.

I kinda get what you're getting at by saying you don't understand, but dude, you're on a music site. I get that you don't follow music much- especially Coldplay- and hey, that's fine.

But when I make references to Coldplay videos on a Coldplay site, and talk about music industry politics on a music website, I think it's a reasonable guess that most more typical passers by might have an inkling about what Strawberry Swing means.

So if you're going to stay out of the music world yet hang around a place with music fans, it's pretty likely you're eventually going to come across something that annoys some of us daily in the music world, but that isn't so relevant to your life or interests.

If you really want to know what's going on, here's how Ok Go's lead singer wrote about the whole controversy in the New York times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/opinion/20kulash.html

My point? My point is that I just got you to watch an Ok Go video by embedding it in this thread. Many other people watched it too. It's likely some lurker had never even heard of Ok Go, but watched the video. You didn't like it. Maybe the lurker didn't either. But by embedding I gave you and him a chance to decide if you like it for yourselves. Just getting people to listen has been scientifically proven to be the most effective way to promote music: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/st_clive_thompson/ If this video had not been embeddable, many people who would watch it by pressing play here in this thread wouldn't bother to link over to Youtube to watch it. By demanding their 4 thousandths of a cent for you to watch their video by disabling embedding, record companies are denying themselves thousands of dollars worth of promotion. It's petty, but they're scared and anal.

Long winded! But now I get it.

This band had a video which record companies didn't want to be embedded into forums because, despite how it massively promotes the song, they want to keep their copyright exclusive even if they get fuck all money for it.

It seems weird that the corporate whores the run the music industry would turn away proven methods.

But as for the video, I really don't get why it's so jaw dropping, if a friend of a friend made this video, I'd be impressed, but a team of people with a big budget, like why is it so awesome? I feel like I'm missing something, again.

I did just watch the Strawberry Swing video and THATS an amazing video, it really is.

Apparently a lot of people are too lazy to click on a link because it's such a hassle to open up a new window, but they aren't lazy enough to click a play button and watch something for 4 minutes.

I don't get it either.