✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are you in favor or against homosexual marriage?

Dfit00

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, pretty amazing story Marie.

Thanks!My parents are fantastic.His parents are religious so they couldn't come to terms with it.That's why I don't understand religion.There is little tolerance in religion for people who are "different" (I'm making enemies here but that's what I believe)

Against, cause I'm Christian

I know quite a few Christian parents who fully support their children's choices. Indeed I know a few gay Christians. I think being Christian should have nothing to do with the decision not to believe in homosexual marriage. Being a Christian is all about tolerance, love, forgiveness and acceptance.

I know quite a few Christian parents who fully support their children's choices. Indeed I know a few gay Christians. I think being Christian should have nothing to do with the decision not to believe in homosexual marriage. Being a Christian is all about tolerance, love, forgiveness and acceptance.

THAT. Thank you so much for bringing that up.

I'm Christian and I'm fully supportive of the gay community.

I have many gay friends and I love them!

I honestly hate having the title "Christian" because people automatically make assumptions about what I believe.

I don't like the term "religion" either.

"religion" to me is like a set of rules: Reading your bible because its what your "supposed" to do if you're Christian.

I don't consider myself religious. I love God and am a follower of him, but I read my bible because I WANT to. Not because I'm "supposed" to. I mean for those Christians who judge homesexuals, i don't understand. It's not their place to judge someone. C'mon now, Jesus loves everyone. No matter what their age, color, or sexuality.

I mean for those Christians who judge homesexuals, i don't understand. It's not their place to judge someone. C'mon now, Jesus loves everyone. No matter what their age, color, sexuality.

Unfortunately, my parents are this way. They view gay people as "sick and disgusting." :disappointed:

I know. I try to explain my views, but they're like, "NO. YOU'RE WRONG. THE BIBLE IS RIGHT." Well, not quite that way, but you know what I mean. For being Christian, they are VERY narrow-minded people, especially my dad.

Please elaborate, what about Christianity necessitates the belief that government should illegalize gay marriages?

Of course the bible doesn't specify to legislature, but I guess that gay marriage usually constitutes a gay relationship, which those who follow the bible to the letter disagree with. But I'll go into a bit more detail on this.

Unfortunately, I disagree with those who believe that Christians can support a persons choice to be homosexual; your bible doesn't support this. However, it doesn't mean a Christian can't love a homosexual or see them as any less of a person, it doesn't even mean they can't support them as a family, lovingly or financially, but they can love them in acknowledgement that they're going to hell unless they repent for their sins, and of course they can pray for them to do so.

That's where the forgiving and loving part of Christianity comes in, it's where fundamentalists don't want to be involved for some reason, because when it comes to hate and fear they will follow the bible to extreme specifics, but in a hypocritical way, love and acceptance isn't the top agenda. Then again the bible also says that gay people should be put to death, it doesn't specify who should put them to death, but I guess that kindof contradicts the whole forgiveness and tolerance spiel that most of the bible refers to.

Back to the point. Personally, I don't think all this means that a Christian should automatically believe that gay marriage should be illegal, because if Christians can believe that a homosexual is a human being like any other, even a human being who sins, they should still have rights like any other human being, including the right to be married. So, therefore, if I was a Christian, I could believe that people should have the right to engage in the sin which is gay marriage, but could still see the act of being involved in a gay relationship as wrong.

This is where morals, religion and legalities can point one persons view in more then one clear direction.

Homosexual relationships don't bother me. You don't choose who you're attracted to and I don't think anyone chooses to be gay. But where do we draw the line when it comes to marriage? Is it truly a right? Close relatives aren't allowed to marry, neither are polygamists. Should they have the right to marry each other as well, if they truly love each other? Really, the argument that it's a right to marry whoever you want doesn't make any sense to me.

I know you aren't, but by that logic it sounds like you're saying it's fine for close relatives or polygamists to have relations, as if that's natural, but the thought of them getting married is another issue. So, to answer that, I guess we're drawing a line on who a person can marry at what type of relations are appropriate in the first place. Homosexuality being acceptable, polygamy and incest, clearly not.

I don't know who you're referring to in particular, but I'll assume that anyone saying that human beings should have the right to marry whoever they want, were referring to homosexuals. Presumably not referring to people wanting to marry their sister, or a goat.

EDIT: On second thought, I don't see any major reasons to oppose polygamy. Thought I'd add that.

some good points there Reilly.

Unfortunately, I disagree with those who believe that Christians can support a persons choice to be homosexual; your bible doesn't support this.

I partially disagree. On one hand it's debatable as to whether homosexuality is a 'choice' as such, but I'm more interested in the debate over homosexuality in the Bible. Yes, Leviticus condemns homosexuality, but its hypocritical for Christians to appeal to the book in regard to homosexuality because its 'laws' are widely dismissed in modern Christianity outside of fundamentalism. No one appeals to the laws alongside it which refer to women and slaves with the unfairness of the babylonian code of hammurabi. It's seen more as a historical document than sound advice as it runs contrary to the words of Jesus who doesn't even mention homosexuality in the gospel. Paul mentions it in his epistles, but generally speaking I believe there's insufficient evidence in the gospel to suggest that the Christian God has it out for the gays, or if so, it's a minute, arbitrary detail that is infinitely less important than the love they exude towards their neighbors.

In any case, even if my opinion is ridiculous and all my gay Christian friends would theoretically go to hell, I don't see any contradiction in the new testament for a Christian to believe in the principle of separating church and state.

I can't understand how religion support peace and love and equality between people and then don't supprot a way of love like the homosexual which is the same (for me). Did you know that in Ancient Greece homosexual love whas considered to be the "best" love because it wasn't biologic?

Well said spieler, but I think you're overlooking the fact that I'm a total chauvinist.

Jokes. Yes I see what you mean, there isn't a sufficient amount of evidence that Christians should definitely oppose Christianity. I guess if I was religious and chose to live by a code written in a book, I'd be one of those obsessive types who strains over every word. To do that with the bible would bring an awful amount of contradictions and hypocrisy.

I'm Christian, therefore, I guess I am not supposed to support gay marriage. But, on the other hand, my opinion on gay marriage is that you can't avoid it, so why fight it? It's always going to be there. Plus, just because you are gay, doesn't mean that you aren't a person. So, if you were straight, and the rest of the world was gay, would you want to be protested against, just because of your sexual attractions? So, in essence, I guess you could say that I support gay marriage. But, that shouldn't make me any less of a Christian.

Did you know that in Ancient Greece homosexual love whas considered to be the "best" love because it wasn't biologic?

Well that's sort of a distortion. If you're homosexual, than obviously homosexual love is biological. In any case Plato was talking about the (mostly) nonsexual nature of agape love versus erotic love.

Even if you despise gay people (although I can't imagine why), this is one of those social phenomenon that you're better off simply ignoring.

I'm gay and I get annoyed around some homos, because they are obnoxious and rude. Like Bruno. If you're straight, please don't let them get away with that shit. Say aloud: COULD YOU PLEASE LOWER YOUR VOICE AND CALM DOWN. YOU ARE BOTHERING ME.

A lot of gay people (whether they will admit it or not) feel a need to be promiscuous and act childishly - probably as a result of growing up trying their best to fit in. So in any group of friends, you've got the nerd, the fatty, the sporty guy, and the fag.

If you continue to identify someone by a certain personality trait, that will become how they identify themselves. So ignore the gayness and look at other stuff, if you want a mentally-healthy society and more depth in your relationships.

Sorry if that sounds only tangentially related to the original topic, but I'm sort of beyond that political argument now. I prefer explaining economics.