✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

American Culture

soleil

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I remember, one thing I don't like about this board or what I've heard in this thread is people being ashamed of being american or saying things that make you think they don't want to be from the US. It just kind of sounds sad, especially since there aren't many americans on this board. I see all the British and people from other countries on this board showing their flags and talking about their countries in a postivie light.

I'm sorry you don't like that about this board, but it is a reality that a lot of people in this country at the moment ARE ashamed to be American, and while most of us probably don't want to live somewhere else, the way our country "participates" in the global community does, from time to time, make me want to temporarily move to Vancouver or Monterrey until the country changes.

No, it's not a majority of people that feel this way.

You see other people talking about their countries in a positive light because when you think of Britian and Spain and Germany and France you don't think of countries going around the globe starting wars. You don't think of a country that arbitrarily pulls out of international treaties. You don't think of countries that have governments so arrogant that "international community" is an oxymoron to them.

Well ... I get the feeeling I'm being a bit heavy handed. I apologize. I am honestly disturbed by my country right now, and I don't think Americans are as upset as they should be.

I'll say the US's complete disregard for the Tokyo Protocal thingy (the reduction of pollution and gas emissions from industry) was quite poor, did they ever change their mind over that or are they still ignoring it cos it will cost too much money to make US firms safe?

I'll say the US's complete disregard for the Tokyo Protocal thingy (the reduction of pollution and gas emissions from industry) was quite poor' date=' did they ever change their mind over that or are they still ignoring it cos it will cost too much money to make US firms safe?[/quote']

No, Bush still fails to adhere to Kioto. It's ridiculous.

This thread turned into a political thread, when I wasn't really intending on it to be. I'm not into politics at all. I know that I should try to be more involved, but there are times when I think that there is nothing that I can do to change things. One person living in suburbia?? To be able to change things, you have to be a politician. And talking about it will not change a single thing, only people will continue to disagree and things will go no where because people have their opinions and will stick to them.

Even though I did not completely agree to starting a war, that does not mean that I am ashamed of my country and will go so far as to moving somewhere else. As rf_ucsd said -"you see other people talking about their countries in a positive light because when you think of Britian and Spain and Germany and France you don't think of countries going around the globe starting wars." I know that Britain did not start the war, but they did participate in it which means that they did support it. And I may not agree with all of Bush's policies, but I don't call him an idiot.

I think I may have heard of the word limey, but I have never used it and do not hear it regularly in everyday conversations. The only thing that I may hear is "brits", but that's about it.

And yes, I did see Sammie's post about Bush and Cheney, but I can do nothing about that. It's her opinion. I know that I have not been on this board for very long, but I have yet to see a thread like that about any other countries -with the exception on the Tony Blair poll.

I started this thread to look at american culture, and perhaps to see how we may be different from other cultures, but not to compare and to say that one country is better or superior than the other.

Anyways, I feel like I have more to say, but it's not coming to me right now...

I started this thread to look at american culture, and perhaps to see how we may be different from other cultures, but not to compare and to say that one country is better or superior than the other.

But all this IS a part of American culture right now. To me, it would be impossible to discuss American culutre without discussing the underlying arrogance of it, and it's that underlying arrogance that leads to this country's political stances and affiliations. Our culture is manifest in our politics.

We say Yanks for americans

Frogs for french ppl

Krauts for germans

Okay those names are weird! I wouldn't name em that! Frogs Krauts?

whereas US have limey for us

Don't use that. No I don't think we use that readily.

Gaby...I know there are people who "are" intelligent who graduated from that school. You to name one of them. :)

rf...all I have to say is... :cry: (it still make me sad)

(and that does not mean I agree with everything that is happening right now in our country)

Like my sis said...this thread wasn't suppossed to be about all of the bad things you think about a country or which country is better than the other...

I remember one other thing....I was driving around and encountered a circle (or roundabout) there are tons of them in Spain and England. Those are nice. They make the city more interesting. It can be confusing at first to drive through them. (I remember when I was visiting my brother and we rented a car and he had to drive through the roundabouts on the left side of the road...(my brother was like which street do I get off on?) :lol: Are streets here are pretty boring...

Oh, I always wondered what the English thought about our American accent. I'm sure you know we think yours is nice...just wondered if ours sounded weird to the English (to relaxed?)

I like English toast...the bread is better for toasting there.

How 'bout fashion??

I remember going down to Venezuela and sticking out like a sore thumb!!

Here, a lot of people wear shorts and gym shoes and/or birkenstock-like sandals, and to south americans that would be extremely strange (they only wear pants down there and if they wore anything short, it would be a skirt). They also tend do dress nicer/fancier down there. We are very casual here. And I think in other countries, they may be more on top of the whole fashion thing than here in the states (we like to wear our jeans and t-shirts). Not to say that we're not fashionable, but the trends appear faster in other countries.

see in UK pants = underwear,

Trousers = trousers lol

so when someone says in US they werent wearing any pants, then we laugh, :lol:

Roundabouts are cool, tho some can be the devil, especially if they are small, yet have lots of exits :/

It's weird driving on the left, then going to germany and encountering a roundabout, cos it goes the other way, and your brain just cant cope.

I like american accents :) I speak to about 4 or 5 american friends on the phone regularly :)

Frog cos they eat frogs legs :)

Krauts, wartime name...i thought it meant cabbage but Jessy informed me it meant vegetables...a german dish that seems popular is sauerkraut, which is pickled cabbage (Jessy correct me here :)) and during the war we called the Germans that and it stuck, along with Jerrys...

About the Limey, it was common when I was there, there was even a TV series called "the limey"...its do with the brits eating limes while sailing across the Atlantic in ye olden days, stopped them getting scurvy thanks to the vitamin C.

I guess, maybe, I should say some positive things about American culture, since that was the original intent of this thread ...

... my FAVORITE part of American culture is music, specifically Blues inspired music. To me, this is the one art form that is distinctly American. This is probably why I have a lot of Rhythm and Blues and Hip-Hop in my music collection, as I believe these are the contemptory manifestations of the Blues development.

I like how our culture breeds a certain level of competitiveness, although I recognize the negatives that go along with this. I like American culture's diversity, also recognizing the negatives that have developed from this.

And I like surfing :-)

You surf? That's really cool. I'd really love to learn one day. How are the beaches in San Diego? I've only been to the Santa Monica/Venice area. I like hip-hop stuff too. Actually I listen to all sorts of music. Not just rock. Yah, there is competitivness here...which leads to americans "work, work, work" ethic. My brother always complains about how other countries take it easy...and I disagree. Too bad we don't have siestas (time when businesses close down for a particular amount of time for lunch) or more holidays like some other countries have.

Btw, Riff thanks for saying something positive. (and I respect you having your own ideas about things going on here)

Yah, a lot people really dress up in other countries. Here in America many people are more relaxed when it comes to there clothing.

Limey? Where did you say that you stayed when you were hear in the US? Pennsylvania, Florida??

You call people by what they eat?? I still think that's odd. You might as well call us French fries! :lol: (just kidding)

You surf? That's really cool. I'd really love to learn one day. How are the beaches in San Diego?

I surf in so much as I get out in the water with a board. I'm very bad at the sport. I've been surfing since the beginning of summer (about 4 months) and I really like it.

The beaches in San Diego are probably the best on the West Coast. There's a lot of variety and a lot of good spots.

I would recommend trying to surf ... it's fun just getting out and being active. Like any new skill, it's very frustrating to try and pick up, but as long as you just take it easy you should have fun.

"ye olden days, stopped them getting scurvy thanks to the vitamin C." - you got that right!! in ye olden days!! i'm not on ships alot these days, but i don't think scurvy is as prevalent as in ye olden days.. :lol:

see in UK pants = underwear,

Trousers = trousers lol

talking about underwear... I know that here, guys wear shorts as bathing suits.. in europe do they wear more speedos? :)

The whole driving on the left thing in the UK would just mess me up big time! I would totally get into an accident! Either that, or I would be driving like a total granny. :D

Surfing sounds really fun. Learning something new is always fun! The most I have ever done is 'boogie boarding'. Yes, I am not an expert. I wish it was warm here in Chicago for more than just three months so that I could participate in more outdoor activities. It would be nice to look forward to do some kind of physical activity after work, other than just going to Bally's. :(