✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

American Culture

soleil

Hmmm... we get Labor Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving (2 days), Christmas Day, Memorial Day, and I think that's about it. Whoopee! A whole six days off!!

Back in the high school days we would get Pulaski Day and President's day and what else...

maybe I should move to somewhere in Europe

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good old Thanksgiving is coming...turkey,mashed potatoes, gravy, apple pie...yummm. The one day I really enjoy american food.

So, I was talking to my parents recently and didn't even bring up the term yanks in the conversation and my mom asked me what the new york "yankees" were name after. (Given that they are in the world series and we were on top of it all because the Cubs were in the finals) That gave me the opportunity to ask what they thought of the term yankees meant in other countries. My mom said that they reffered to americans that way, it wasn't ever in a good way...I asked my dad the same and he only agreed more.

So, I don't know, but I just got that feeling. Weren't the yankees referred to the Americans trying to gain their independence? I don't know... that's what I got from all of it. :/ *shrug*

Yanks is just a slang term for the collective USA...officially it should mean the north US states who fought in the civil war against the south...(werent the south the Dixies?) but in time it was used to represent the whole US...

It's never said by myself in a derogatory way except to the strength of "Oh them yanks" etc..when americans do silly stuff, like kids divorcing parents,

Thats one thing that pisses me off, Southerner's are also Yanks, Yankees, whatever. They continue to act like there not. (Im from michigan, one northern most state) one time, my history teacher went to Florida and someone actually said, "hey yankee!" Yeah, he is too though.... During the civil war though, the Confederates (southerners) nicknamed us the "Billy Yanks" and us Union people nicknamed them rebs or "Johnny Rebs". Actually, there was one state that was with the union that isnt technically a northerner in geographical terms, california was a union state.

Quote:

It would be nice to look forward to do some kind of physical activity after work, other than just going to Bally's.

Ugh. Gyms stink. i just can't do them.

yeah i went to a gym like twice and it sucked

i have this thing i work out with on a dvd and its only a half hour

i see alot of improvement and people are starting to comment

good stuff

Which DVD? Buns of steel??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

The bad thing about gyms is that they are sooo boring. It sucks to have to go on a treadmill like some kind of hamster running on its wheel. And every time I want to use the weights, there's always someone on them hogging it all up. When it's finally your turn, most likely some dude will just hover around waiting until you finish! I hate that! It makes you feel like you can't work out at your own pace!

hmm... so i was trying to bite my tongue on this one, but it was too hard for me to do that...

anyways,

so i was just browsing through the threads and read this post ...

"well i kinda got the feeling since theres a lot of christians in the UK, well more people youll consider true christians compare to the US (no offense)"

this is yet another generalization. the thing that i find interesting is that the topic of the thread had nothing to do with americans whatsoever, and yet this comment was made.

it is also interesting that instead of comparing the uk to the rest of the world or to another country, they picked the good 'ol us of a.

(and i realize that this subject will go nowhere because the topic is about religion and these kinds of discussions tend to go nowhere and people always end up disagreeing on faith, but i just had to mention it b/c it seemed to fall under this thread's category)