✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

American Culture

soleil

Nope, it's a common misconception in the US.

1st up, my ex's dad used to say it to me to try to wind me up, so I'd just mention Vietnam back to him.

i still believe that you're generalizing from one person who said that about germans - and it made you so mad, that you remembered it and think that all other americans think that way. and for the tv shows? you judge americans on FICTIONAL tv shows?

i know that in my history classes they did not focus on the fact that we were the ones who leaded the "divine crusade" as you may seem to think. instead they focused on the horrible incidents that occured in the concentration camps at that time, so i still don't know what you're talking about. and never once did i hear anyone in my classes say that if if wasn't for us, everybody would be speaking german.. or anywhere else for that matter.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, using the simpsons to validate that argument is almost silly, as it's probably the most satire-heavy show ever produced. an american saying that to a brit on the simpsons is more to satirize the typical heavy-handedness of american diplomacy, not to show that it's accepted as a fact here in the states (which, to anybody who actually knows something about history, it isn't).

Nope, it's a common misconception in the US.

1st up, my ex's dad used to say it to me to try to wind me up, so I'd just mention Vietnam back to him.

i still believe that you're generalizing from one person who said that about germans - and it made you so mad, that you remembered it and think that all other americans think that way. and for the tv shows? you judge americans on FICTIONAL tv shows?

i know that in my history classes they did not focus on the fact that we were the ones who leaded the "divine crusade" as you may seem to think. instead they focused on the horrible incidents that occured in the concentration camps at that time, so i still don't know what you're talking about. and never once did i hear anyone in my classes say that if if wasn't for us, everybody would be speaking german.. or anywhere else for that matter.

Soliel ... I definitely agree with you, but I do hear people say the German-thing every once in a while. Most of the time they try to use the guise of humor, but it's rarely THAT funny. There's always an element of seriousess serving as an undertone.

Ditto!

$5 all you can eat lunches in Pizza Hut

they were great

:)

And id like to visit and live and work in US one day, if they ever sort out these damn immigration/visa laws that exist between the US/UK

First, I love those $5 dollar pizza buffets. Havn't gone to one in a while though. (random thought)

Second, so why do you want to come to the US? (By the way you express yourself, you seem to dislike many things about it.)

Third, what's up with that royal family anyways?

like i said it wasn't just one person who said that to me. If Soleil actually bothered to maybe read further down my post, she'll see at least 4 or 5 other americans online said it to me too...just be glad you don't appear to encounter it, because I've encountered it more often than id like...it goes along with the US arrogence thing :/ I've encountered that a lot more than the german thing...neither are pleasant :(

I liked the US, like I said in my other posts 99% of US ppl ive met ive liked, its just the odd few that ruin it. I went to a red neck pool bar with my ex's sister once, full of Vietnam vets, and first of all i was quite wary, but they took to me really well, and loved my accent, which was cool :)

I still wanna go to the west coast sometime soon...California mmmmmmm

Royal family, hmmm, they make the nation a lot of money in tourism, apart from that...*thinks* well they open things well, they do good parties and weddings ... erm that's it...oh they inbreed too :)

I still wanna go to the west coast sometime soon...California mmmmmmm

We'd love to have you!

The West Coast is very multi-cultural, and we have a reputation for being very liberal. People refer to California as "the land of fruits and nuts."

But I love California.

like i said it wasn't just one person who said that to me. If Soleil actually bothered to maybe read further down my post' date=' she'll see at least 4 or 5 other americans online said it to me too...just be glad you don't appear to encounter it, because I've encountered it more often than id like...it goes along with the US arrogence thing :/ I've encountered that a lot more than the german thing...neither are pleasant :([/quote']

Just because I didn't comment on the four or five other americans, that doesn't mean that I didn't read it. It just means that I chose not to respond to it. I still do not believe that you can base your opinions on 4-5 americans out of a whole nation. That does not make any sense to me. And your comment on arrogant americans - would you like to clarify that please, because there are many people who can be arrogant, not just americans and if you are on a messageboard, of course there is going to be arrogance with no explanations. Just like there may be arrogant americans, the british can be arrogant as well. (I especially don't like threads that refer to americans as being idiots. Especially when no one had offended anybody to begin with.)

Also, you probably already know this, the phrase red neck is a demeaning phrase to call people.

My arrogance clarification is earlier in this thread, and was backed up by a few americans posting their views and experiences. And yes others can be arrogant too, brits, french, germans, aussies etc....

I'm sorry you don't like it when americans are refered to as idiots, I think the problem there is, the US flooded the world with shows like Jerry Springer, Rikki Lake, Oprah, Jenny Jones, Montell, Geraldo...so we see a lot of americans doing stupid things...kinda influences how we percieve you guys...which is what this thread was about, american culture from outside the US....and unfortunately it's not all good right now, especially in a lot of europe due to Bush's war on terrorism :( personally im more willing to side with the US on issues like that than i am to side with europe...but thats not here nor there in this discussion.

I didn't know redneck was demeaning, it's a term we hear used over here, like yank, hick, dude, and we just use it...*shrug*

I didn't know redneck was demeaning, it's a term we hear used over here, like yank, hick, dude, and we just use it...*shrug*

Redneck is becoming worse. The way it's being used, it's turning into the key racial slur against Anglos in the States.

oooh see we don't know that over here

Actually, in all fairness, it's not a universally accepted thing over here, either. But I don't think anybody should expect you to know it or be offended if you mention it as long as they know that you're from "across the pond."

My arrogance clarification is earlier in this thread, and was backed up by a few americans posting their views and experiences. And yes others can be arrogant too, brits, french, germans, aussies etc....

I'm sorry you don't like it when americans are refered to as idiots, I think the problem there is, the US flooded the world with shows like Jerry Springer, Rikki Lake, Oprah, Jenny Jones, Montell, Geraldo...so we see a lot of americans doing stupid things...kinda influences how we percieve you guys...which is what this thread was about, american culture from outside the US....and unfortunately it's not all good right now, especially in a lot of europe due to Bush's war on terrorism :( personally im more willing to side with the US on issues like that than i am to side with europe...but thats not here nor there in this discussion.

Yah, I hate it when people from other countries base there opinions about us on what they see on tv. When I was in Spain I lived with a family and my housemate there would always want to compare us with what she had seen on TV (90210!) She thought all americans had money and were rich, had swimming pools, partied like them all the time, etc . I couldn't believe that she based her opinions on tv shows! The media will portray anything they would like. But that's another story.

I still am not too clear on your thoughts about arrogant americans. What instance were you reffering too? If you are talking about the history stuff, once again many americans don't focus all of their time on politics/history. I think that people have different views on various topics in the US, but still get along in other instances. I don't know if I'm explaining myself too well.

About the terms used in Britain... "Dude" is fine. "Redneck" is a bit demeaning. "Hick" is demeaning too. I once said to someone from southern illinois and they were very offended. I didn't mean to be mean, but they don't like it.

And "Yanks" as far as I know sounds kind of offensive. Otherwise why wouldn't they just say americans or people from the US?

Btw, I don't like all those talk shows you mentioned except for Oprah. She's alright. I'm embarrased to say that Jerry Springer is from Chicago. I think he even graduated from Northwestern. :stunned: Scary. But I'm sure he's making the money (and that's all here cares!)

I know there was more I wanted to say, but I can't think of it right now...

But I'm glad you actually posted on this thread, being a non-american and all.

Oh I remember, one thing I don't like about this board or what I've heard in this thread is people being ashamed of being american or saying things that make you think they don't want to be from the US. It just kind of sounds sad, especially since there aren't many americans on this board. :( I see all the British and people from other countries on this board showing their flags and talking about their countries in a postivie light.

i dont rate yank as offensive, its a collective term in UK for americans, i know essentially it should only refer to americans from the north (cos of the civil war).

We say Yanks for americans

Frogs for french ppl

Krauts for germans

whereas US have limey for us

Aussies call us whinging pommes :)

French and Germans im not sure, but i remember the term little englander is used a lot...cos we seem quite insular to them and unwilling to adopt european culture...mainly cos we're an island nation i guess. :lol: