✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Snooker [Latest - UK Championship, Barbican Centre, York 26 November to 8 December)

Reilly

Talking of which it's about a year since that betting scandal he was involved in. Glad to see it has washed away.

Exactly a year yesterday, and if he had admitted to being involved in it you'd be throwing your usual vilifying adjectives about how much of a disgrace he is and how he should be hung in the street etc. etc., but because he denies it, despite how he has no clear reason as to why he never reported it, this is fine.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
Exactly a year yesterday, and if he had admitted to being involved in it you'd be throwing your usual vilifying adjectives about how much of a disgrace he is and how he should be hung in the street etc. etc., but because he denies it, despite how he has no clear reason as to why he never reported it, this is fine.

Got a proper opinion rather than giving an opinion on other people's opinions?

You really must try harder dearest Reilly!

What the fuck are you on about?

I think there's a good possibility he's been involved in match fixing and if that's the case then no doubt he's been involved with fixing other matches- why didn't he report it? I don't think he shouldn't be playing the game, everyone makes mistakes- but a harsher penalty should have been enforced.

But that's being reasonable, if you took one of your random irrational spats against him which just as easily could have happened instead of you favouring him, you'd suggest we ban him, burn his house and send his children to prison.

As for having an actual opinion you haven't really given one either.

Disappointed Williams didn't get to the final. But hey John Higgins did what he does best. Talking of which it's about a year since that betting scandal he was involved in. Glad to see it has washed away.

I wouldn't go quite that far. It's still a bit "whiffy".

Guest howyousawtheworld
What the fuck are you on about?

I think there's a good possibility he's been involved in match fixing and if that's the case then no doubt he's been involved with fixing other matches- why didn't he report it? I don't think he shouldn't be playing the game, everyone makes mistakes- but a harsher penalty should have been enforced.

But that's being reasonable, if you took one of your random irrational spats against him which just as easily could have happened instead of you favouring him, you'd suggest we ban him, burn his house and send his children to prison.

As for having an actual opinion you haven't really given one either.

What?

My opinion of Higgins hasn't changed. He was wrong and I question the severity of his ban as well but like I've said I'm glad it's blown over for the sake of the sport. And please Reilly don't talk to me about irrationality. Your middle name is irrational.

I at least thought that you felt it had washed away for YOU.

So on the day someone infamously gets removed from the arena for heckling him for being a cheat, you decide to write that the controversy has washed away?

Urgh this is what I get, done here.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I at least thought that you felt it had washed away for YOU.

So on the day someone infamously gets removed from the arena for heckling him for being a cheat, you decide to write that the controversy has washed away?

Urgh this is what I get, done here.

Oh was that why someone was removed from the arena. Didn't know the reason.

I think in snooker circles people have moved on from the events of last year whether they agreed with his punishment or not.

Oh was that why someone was removed from the arena. Didn't know the reason.

I think in snooker circles people have moved on from the events of last year whether they agreed with his punishment or not.

I reckon there will always be a residual stain on his reputation. However, a snooker arena isn't the place for heckling, so it's right that the guy was ejected.

Commentator Ted Lowe dies at 90

_52442440_loweobit.jpg

Commentator Ted Lowe dies at 90

Former snooker commentator Ted Lowe has died at 90, the BBC has learned.

Lowe, born in Berkshire, became a household name through the hit television show Pot Black in 1969 and retired after the 1996 world final.

He died on the morning of the first session of the 2011 Snooker World Championship final in Sheffield. Lowe's unmistakable hushed tones earned him the popular nickname "Whispering Ted" and he was the BBC's lead commentator on many occasions.

His wife of 21 years, Jean, said: "His health had been deteriorating for the last 10 weeks. He went into a hospice a week ago and I never left his side. But I could see he was slowly going. He still loves snooker and was watching it on TV."

John Virgo, a former player before becoming a co-commentator alongside Lowe, said: "He set a standard for us all. He was wonderful, he had an impish sense of humour and while cricket had its John Arlott and Wimbledon had its Dan Maskell, we had Ted Lowe. He was one of the BBC greats. It's a sad day for snooker and he'll be sadly missed."

Dennis Taylor's winning performance in the remarkable 1985 final was, inevitably, commentated on by Lowe, who called him "the 36-year-old smiling Irishman" at the time. Taylor, who has since turned to commentating, said on Sunday: "I first worked with Ted around 30 years ago. He welcomed me to the box and gave me such good advice. He was a great one to travel with. I remember many trips we took to Australia in the 1970s for the old Pot Black tournaments.

"We went by jumbo jet, and they hadn't existed for very long at that time. We used to get to go upstairs into the lounge, which was the business-class area, because of Ted, and the pilots would always want to speak to him and hear his commentary voice. He had a lovely, lovely voice. To hear his voice and have him commentating on the 1985 final makes it special. "One thing I remember is him taking a long time over signing autographs too, he was so precise about that. No praise is high enough, I had such great times with him, and I couldn't have learnt from anyone better."

Multiple world champion Stephen Hendry, once described by Lowe as the "wonder bairn of Scotland", told BBC Sport: "I remember playing Junior Pot Black, I was only 12 and he was a complete gentleman. Me and my father were down there and he was so nice to us."

On Twitter, former pro Jimmy White said: "Still in shock and so saddened. Absolutely gutted. He was a great friend of my dad's and an absolute gentleman. I loved him dearly."

Born in Lambourn, Lowe came from a background steeped in horse racing. Speaking to BBC Berkshire in 2007, he said: "My father was an apprentice before joining [trainer] Ossis Bell as travelling head lad.

"I well remember Felstead [in 1928] winning the Derby and my Father leading him home into the village from Epsom. "My mother's side of the family were all publicans which gave me a lovely mixture between horses and pubs. To their wisdom and my good fortune I was sent to some relations in south London who had a delightful pub with a full-size snooker table. Up until then, I had been playing billiards at my uncle and aunt's pub in Lambourn, the Lamb."

"I was terribly lucky. Being fairly proficient at the game, I got into a snooker club and I cheekily wrote to the great Joe Davis asking him to open the club. Behind my back, some people told him that I was a good young player so he challenged me to a game. I beat him with a four-black start and made the local news! Because of that I was invited to become general manger of the Leicester Square Hall, the home of professional billiards and snooker. It was there that I started broadcasting in the 1940s."

He got his big break when regular BBC broadcaster Raymond Glendenning reported for work feeling the worse for wear, meaning the reins were handed over to Lowe.

He recalled in the BBC Berkshire interview: "I was scared to death commentating on Joe Davis, who was a God to me. Of course, sitting in the crowd I was terrified they would hear what I had to say, so I started whispering. The producer loved it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13253010.stm

Guest howyousawtheworld

Higgins has done it! That was so crafty. I don't know how he did it but he has!

And as for Judd Trump - what a star!

I would've been happy with either winning so I was hoping for a final frame decider, and it looked like Judd had put them a frame closer to that, but yes like you say, I don't have a clue how Higgins just did that, and Trump looked disillusioned. But how many times do we see this from Higgins? Pure resolve and concentration at all times.

Talking about the greatest snooker player ever, I can see why people think Hendry, but personally for pure talent I'd say O'Sullivan, and for the complete player, John takes it. He probably deserved to win just as much as Judd tonight but how he's even got to this stage from being between a rock and a hard place against both O'Sullivan and Williams, if it was anyone else you'd think it was luck, there's something special about him that gets him through matches like that. I don't think he's a remarkably talented player, and if it was down to solely talent I think he'd be grateful to be in the top 5 right now, but he knows his capabilities and when to use them.

As for Hazel Irvine making him cry, what a total nubbin.

_52459167_higgins464.jpg

Higgins wants seven world titles

John Higgins has set his sights on matching Stephen Hendry's record haul of seven World Championship titles after winning his fourth on Monday.

The 35-year-old, who only returned in November from a six-month ban imposed for infringements of betting regulations, beat Judd Trump 18-15.

He said: "I want to get to seven world titles now, because I've won three in the last five years. I've rededicated myself in recent years and I want to keep winning it."

It was only 12 months ago that Higgins's career was in jeopardy after frame-fixing allegations came to light on the morning of the 2010 final. The Scot fought a battle to clear his name and was later cleared of deliberately throwing frames, but he was suspended for not reporting the illegal approach made to him.

Higgins has won five tournaments since his return, including the UK Championship and the Welsh Open, but he admitted his latest victory at the Crucible is "by far and away the biggest and best" of his career. And he is determined to continue his winning run.

He said: "I didn't expect to be winning so soon, but since I came back in November I have won pretty much everything I have entered. It has been an ubelieveable six or seven months for me. I am scrapping for everything now; every point, every frame, every match. I have another few years of trying to do it [win seven world titles]. There are people like Judd coming through but if I can contend with that I have a few years to do it. I have another five years to win three more. People might mock me and might laugh at that, but we will wait and see."

Higgins's superb return to form has been all the more remarkable considering he has also had to cope with the death of his father, who lost his battle against cancer in February. "He has been in the forefront of my thoughts," said Higgins, who was clearly emotional after his victory. "He has been a big miss. It was the first time I have ever played here without my dad watching. I am sure he will be up there with a glass of whisky celebrating."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13263931.stm

Guest howyousawtheworld
I would've been happy with either winning so I was hoping for a final frame decider, and it looked like Judd had put them a frame closer to that, but yes like you say, I don't have a clue how Higgins just did that, and Trump looked disillusioned. But how many times do we see this from Higgins? Pure resolve and concentration at all times.

Talking about the greatest snooker player ever, I can see why people think Hendry, but personally for pure talent I'd say O'Sullivan, and for the complete player, John takes it. He probably deserved to win just as much as Judd tonight but how he's even got to this stage from being between a rock and a hard place against both O'Sullivan and Williams, if it was anyone else you'd think it was luck, there's something special about him that gets him through matches like that. I don't think he's a remarkably talented player, and if it was down to solely talent I think he'd be grateful to be in the top 5 right now, but he knows his capabilities and when to use them.

As for Hazel Irvine making him cry, what a total nubbin.

I think Hendry is the greatest. Best ever break builder the game has ever seen, but I do agree with you in pure talent O'Sulliven is the best the sport has seen. If he had put his mind to it more he would be the greatest of all time I believe.

I think Hendry is the greatest. Best ever break builder the game has ever seen, but I do agree with you in pure talent O'Sulliven is the best the sport has seen. If he had put his mind to it more he would be the greatest of all time I believe.

That's the problem with so-called "geniuses" like that. They're too "out there" and temperamental to make the commitment necessary to reach that status.

It's been the same in countless sports over the years.

Alex Higgins in snooker, George Best (and arguably Gazza) in football, and skiing's Bode Miller all spring to mind.:dozey:

• 8 months later...

_57262920_hi013509712.jpg

UK Snooker Championship: Judd Trump beats Mark Allen to win title

Rising star Judd Trump beat Northern Ireland's Mark Allen 10-8 to clinch his first UK Championship title in York.

The Englishman won the opening frame but Allen rattled off three in a row including a stunning break of 141.

Trump, 22, responded with runs of 52, 62, 75 and 61 to move 5-3 up and breaks of 109, 78 and 74 on the resumption made it seven consecutive frames.

From 8-3 down Allen won five of the next six, including three more tons, but Trump sealed it with a break of 91.

"It's a brilliant feeling and it's been a brilliant week," Trump, who rises two places to number five in the world rankings, told BBC Sport. Trump, who won his first ranking title at the China Open earlier this year, confirmed his status as the spearhead of the younger generation by claiming the sport's second biggest title, six months after running John Higgins close in the Crucible final.

Having played best-of-11 and best-of-17 matches in the tournament, the players battled it out in a best-of-19-frames final at the Barbican Centre for the £100,000 prize.

Allen began nervously and left an easy starter for Trump, who took the opening frame with a break of 70.

Trump, who reached the world final in May, missed a long red to let Allen back into the match, and he replied with a run of 58.

Trump's attacking style of play let him down in the third when he chose a difficult pot over an easy safety shot, resulting in Allen winning his second consecutive frame with an impressive break of 141.

Allen took a two-frame lead into the mid-session break with a run of 69 in the fourth, when both players had chances to win it.

In the interval, Trump wrote on his Twitter page: "Done well to lose 3-1 there, not quite sure how he managed to get the brown safe every time though. Changing into my naughty head for next four frames."

His "naughty" snooker style came back in the fifth to help him close the gap to just one frame with a 52 break, before taking a scrappy sixth with a run of 62 to level the match at 3-3.

After criticising his safety shots after his semi-final, Allen once again struggled in the seventh and some great positioning from Trump enabled him to take the lead for the first time since winning the opening frame.

Trump secured a two-frame lead ahead of the evening session with a break of 61 to lead 5-3.

The world finalist, who beat Dominic Dale, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Maguire and Neil Robertson on his way to the final, continued where he had left off after the break and comfortably took a three-frame lead with a break of 109.

Allen tried a risky long pot over an easy safety shot in the 10th when it had looked like the frame was won, and the mistake cost him as Trump forged further ahead with a run of 78, before taking what seemed to be an unassailable lead with a break of 74 to go 8-3 clear.

The Northern Irishman, who openly criticised snooker chief Barry Hearn during the tournament, hit back before the mid-session interval with a fantastic 139, the second highest break of the match.

Allen continued his comeback with a run of 129, before Trump once again took hold of the match, winning the battle of the safety shots in the 14th frame to take a 9-5 lead.

The 2010 semi-finalist Allen, who made the four highest breaks in the match, refused to give up and once again potted well in a run of 125 to close the deficit to three frames.

A poor mistake by Trump in the 16th left a red over the top pocket and Allen looked sure to capitalise until an advantageous pot went awry.

In a nervous battle the 2011 China Open winner looked to be on his way to victory before he missed what seemed an easy red. That one mistake led the Northern Irishman to win another frame to keep his hopes alive at 9-7.

A superb double in the 17th gave Trump the advantage but it was not enough as Allen came back once again to win his third consecutive frame with a break of 95 to take it to 9-8.

But in the next Allen played a deep screw on a long red and missed. It was a mistake he was to pay for dearly, with Trump going on a run of 91 to take the match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/16131999.stm

_57950517_neil_robertson_getty.jpg

Masters snooker: Neil Robertson captures first title

Neil Robertson won the Masters for the first time with a 10-6 win over Shaun Murphy at Alexandra Palace in London.

After a tense start the players traded century breaks before Robertson took the last two frames of the session with breaks of 72 and 60 for a 5-3 lead.

Murphy won the first frame after the resumption but Robertson responded with a 101 and was 8-4 up at the mini-break.

A 70 helped the Australian seal victory and maintained his record of winning all seven of his major finals.

"A good start was really important," said Robertson, only the fourth overseas player to win the coveted Masters crown.

"Shaun probably dominated the early stages of the first session but had a pretty bad run of the ball so I was quite lucky to be in there at 3-3.

"After that I think I played really good match snooker, scored heavily when I was in and you have to do that against Shaun. After the World Championship this is the tournament I really wanted to win. My path to the final hasn't been easy but I've stuck at it and played some really good stuff."

Murphy paid his opponent a major compliment by comparing him favourably to four-time world champion John Higgins.

"His all-round game has become one of the best, if not the best, in the game," said Murphy.

"His scoring ability, mixed with his tactical prowess... he's overtaken Higgins now."

Both men were contesting their first Masters final, but both had previously experienced snooker's biggest stage after being crowned world champions; Murphy in 2005 and Robertson in 2010.

Either could have gone ahead, but a poor safety shot from Murphy meant Robertson was able to pinch the opening frame on the black.

Murphy, seeking to become only the eighth player to win the coveted treble of World Championship, UK Championship and Masters, was level soon after though, courtesy of a solid 65 after Robertson had missed a long red.

A terrific break of 102, his seventh century of the tournament, gave Murphy the lead in the best-of-19 match for the first time.

Robertson hit back with a calm and composed century break of his own, a 103 clearance. With the score at 3-3 Robertson edged ahead once more with an excellent break of 72, despite the black being out of commission, and the left-hander secured a two-frame cushion after Murphy missed a long red to end a break of 46.

Robertson responded with a 60 and though he missed a blue off its spot, Murphy failed to capitalise.

To the delight of the enthusiastic crowd Murphy took the first frame of the evening session but Robertson swiftly halted his progress with another century and four successive frames, including consecutive breaks of 76.

That left the Englishman needing each of the remaining six frames in the match to snatch an improbable victory.

Upping the pace in a defiant rearguard, breaks of 33 and 52 gave Murphy the first of them, and he potted a fabulous long diagonal blue in an 86 to reduce the deficit to 9-6.

But Robertson was soon back amongst the balls, his only concern in frame 16 a loose red that rolled out of the pack following an explosive screw shot off the black, but stopped on the jaws of the centre pocket.

The 29-year-old missed a red with the rest when 70 ahead with 67 on the table but soon wrapped up victory, treating the excitable audience to some exhibition style shots in the process.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/16671018.stm

Anyone watching the Snooker Shoot-out on Sky? Top 64 players minus Ronnie in 1-frame eliminators. Sexy snooker from Barry Hearn :laugh3:

First round:

Robert Milkins (Eng) bt Nigel Bond (Eng)

Mark Williams (Wal) bt Steve Davis (Eng)

Graeme Dott (Sco) bt Alan McManus (Sco)

Stephen Maguire (Sco) bt Anthony McGill (Sco)

Stuart Bingham (Eng) bt Liu Song (Chn)

John Higgins (Sco) bt Judd Trump (Eng)

Gerard Greene (NI) bt Jamie Burnett (Sco)

Ken Doherty (Irl) bt Michael Holt (Eng)

Matthew Stevens (Wal) bt Ali Carter (Eng)

Tom Ford (Eng) bt Jimmy Robertson (Eng)

Mark Selby (Eng) bt Joe Perry (Eng)

Mark Allen (NI) bt Rory McLeod (Eng)

Martin Gould (Eng) bt Peter Ebdon (Eng)

Anthony Hamilton (Eng) bt Jimmy White (Eng)

Mark Davis (Eng) bt Mark Joyce (Eng)

Stephen Lee (Eng) bt Peter Lines (Eng)

Saturday

Tony Drago v Andy Hicks

Ding Junhui v Barry Hawkins

Ben Woollaston v Alfie Burden

Neil Robertson v Jamie Cope

Ricky Walden v Liu Chuang

Andrew Higginson v Liang Wenbo

Shuan Murphy v Fergal O'Brien

Marcus Campbell v Xiao Guodong

Mark King v Dominic Dale

Marco Fu v Barry Pinches

Dave Harold v James Wattana

Matthew Selt v Joe Jogia

Mike Dunn v Michael White

Stephen Hendry v Jack Lisowski

Jamie Jones v Adrian Gunnell

Ryan Day v Joe Swail

shootout1.jpg

Last 32 Draw:

Robert Milkins v Mike Dunn

Ryan Day v Ian McCulloch

Dominic Dale v Mark Selby

Marcus Campbell v Martin Gould

Fergal O’Brien v Barry Hawkins

Graeme Dott v Ken Doherty

Stephen Maguire v Alfie Burden

Mark Davis v Anthony Hamilton

Dave Harold v Tony Drago

Stuart Bingham v Jamie Jones

Mark Williams v Barry Pinches

Ricky Walden v Stephen Lee

Gerard Greene v Stephen Hendry

Tom Ford v Matthew Selt

Liang Wenbo v Matthew Stevens

John Higgins v Mark Allen

The matches will be played this evening in the order above.

one normal frame but with a 10 minute time limit for all shots, winner or player with most points after time is up goes through to the next round. All matches in that round are played then the draw made immediately for the next lot of matches. LIke the FA Cup for snooker players. Final sometime tomorrow night