✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Snooker [Latest - UK Championship, Barbican Centre, York 26 November to 8 December)

Reilly

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_52315355_011814497-1.jpg

World Snooker: Judd Trump seals win over Martin Gould

Judd Trump booked his place in the quarter-finals of the World Championship after a commanding 13-6 victory over Martin Gould.

Having won the final four frames on Friday to secure an 11-5 lead, Trump quickly moved within one frame of victory after a break of 67.

Gould, who beat Marco Fu in round one, won the next but Trump secured the match after a stylish break of 69.

The 21-year-old will play Graeme Dott or Ali Carter in the last eight.

Trump, who won the China Open this month and defeated reigning world champion Neil Robertson in the first round, again looked in assured form.

His next opponent is less certain, with Dott and Carter locked at 8-8 going into Saturday afternoon's concluding session.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13175031.stm

Guest howyousawtheworld

Ronnie 2-0 up on Murphy already. I wonder if Murphy's starting to regret calling Ronnie 'pathetic' and 'selfish'.

If there was one man I wouldn't say that about just before you're about to play him it is Ronnie O Sullivan.

Selby recovered from 4 snookers down to win frame against Hendry!

_52327940_011826438-1.jpg

Mark Selby sets two records in leading Stephen hendry 12-5, John Higgins leads Rory McLeod 5-2 and Stuart Bingham builds a 5-3 advantage over Ding Junhui in round two at the World Championship.

Mark Selby set two records as he moved within one frame of victory at 12-5 against Stephen Hendry in their World Championship second-round match.

He became the first player to record six centuries in a 25-frame match and took his tally for the season to 54, beating the record held by Hendry.

World number one John Higgins overcame a slow start to win five consecutive frames and lead Rory McLeod 5-2.

Stuart Bingham built a 5-3 advantage over world number four Ding Junhui.

Selby had already compiled three centuries in establishing a 7-1 overnight lead and after Hendry missed a black on 21 in the opening frame of the afternoon the 27-year-old cleared with a break of 100.

A stylish 127 followed in frame 11 and although Hendry ensured the match would go to a final session, with successive runs of 75 and 74, Selby claimed his record with a 117.

He won the final frame of the day from 70-22 behind needing snookers.

Selby drew five fouls from seven-time champion Hendry, the last of which saw the Scotsman pot the white to leave his opponent a short-range red, and a cool clearance saw Selby take the frame on the black 77-76.

They will resume on Monday at 1300 BST.

Elsew here, Bingham took the first three frames against Ding and might have won all four before the mid-session interval, even from 51 behind with only 43 on the table in frame four.

He put Ding in a snooker and was awarded a free ball as a result of the failed escape.

But he missed a simple final red into the bottom corner and Ding also won the next frame, compiling a 74 after a wild attempt from Bingham spread the reds.

However, Bingham pinched a tense final frame with a clearance of 56 to take a useful lead into the second session on Sunday evening.

Meanwhile, McLeod won the first two frames with breaks of 38 and 36 but Higgins hit back in a scrappy, tactical encounter.

He won what proved to be the final frame - because of the slow nature of the play - from 55 points behind.

McLeod was heavily criticised for his studious approach by Ricky Walden, who was beaten by him in round one, but the 40-year-old looked to have reduced his deficit going into the evening session to 4-3 after a break of 46 put him in command.

But Higgins displayed his matchplay excellence by putting his opponent in a series of difficult snookers.

Despite having a top break of only 25 in the frame, the Scot was able to seal a comfortable lead into Sunday's second session as McLeod gave away 35 points in fouls.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/default.stm

Selby beats Hendry to reach last eight

_52333412_hendry_selbyfinalframe.jpg

Mark Selby needed a single frame from the final session to reach the last eight of the World Championship, at the expense of Stephen Hendry.

Selby, who beat Hendry at the same stage last year, made 81 on his way to completing a 13-4 win.

He will now face the winner of the match between Ding Junhui and Stuart Bingham, who play to a finish later.

John Higgins set up a clash with Ronnie O'Sullivan or Shaun Murphy after a 13-7 win against Rory McLeod.

The three-time champion took a 10-5 lead into the final session and rattled in an 80-break on his way to winning the first two frames.

Scot Higgins, who won the UK Championship and Welsh Open this season, was on the brink of sealing a quarter-final but back came McLeod to pull the scores to 12-7 going into the mid-session interval.

The qualifier looked set to take the first frame following the break, after establishing a 40-point lead but played a poor safety to allow his opponent back in. Higgins, who performed below par, wasted his first opportunity but took the next to clinch the frame and the match.

Higgins said he has yet to hit his best form in the tournament after patchy performances against Stephen Lee and McLeod at the Crucible.

"It was hard work. It wasn't my fault or Rory's, it is just the way the balls go sometimes that dictate the performance. It was like Groundhog Day every frame," he said of a match in which the average frame-time was about 25 minutes.

"I am going to have to come back and practise because there was a lot of time between shots. My timing went completely in the middle part of the match.

"I hit the ball well in the second session of my match with Lee but apart from that I have been a little bit edgy. I am definitely going to have to improve and be on top of my game for my next match, whoever I am playing."

Meanwhile, Bingham has a 9-7 advantage over world number four, Ding, of China. Three-time winner O'Sullivan leads Murphy by the same scoreline. Both matches resume at 1900 BST.

On Monday, Selby became the first player to record six centuries in a 25-frame match and took his tally for the season to 54, beating the record held by Hendry.

The world number three, who has been installed as the new favourite, had already compiled three centuries in establishing a 7-1 lead before clearing with a break of 100 in the opening frame of the second session.

A stylish 127 followed in frame 11 and although Hendry ensured the match would go to a final session, with successive runs of 75 and 74, Selby claimed his record with a 117 before winning the final frame of the eight, on the black.

"I played well from start to finish and put pressure on Stephen from the word go," said Selby. " I just went out to win the match, but the performance was exceptional as well, which is always nice."

After the match, seven-time champion Hendry, 42, confirmed that he is contemplating retirement from the game in the next few weeks.

The Scot, who will drop out of the elite top 16 if Bingham beats Ding later on Monday, said: "I'll decide in the summer.

"I've still got the game but I haven't got the self-belief to compete with these guys.

"I didn't play horrendously badly but you need 100% belief in yourself at this level in any sport, not just snooker.

"At the moment I don't have that, basically because I haven't had any success over the last few years. It is hard to play your best if you don't have that inner self-belief.

"Whether I remain in the top 16 or not will be another factor in my decision. Whether I really have the will to practise during the summer and then come and try to qualify for events...it would be tough.

"Not only do you have to qualify against these great players, but if your head's not right, you are on a hiding to nothing.

"Some decisions have to be made in the next few weeks, but even if I want to keep playing there is no guarantee that I would qualify to come back here next year.

"It would be hard to think I was not going to come here. I have had so much success and so many memories. I have had 26 years here, won it seven times, been in the final twice more.

"If you had told me I would have had that success, I would have bitten your hand off. I have got no regrets."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13181061.stm

Guest howyousawtheworld

Gutted over Hendry's loss!

Still come on Ronnie. Just one frame needed to wrap up this match against Murphy.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Still the greatest player to have picked up a cue in my opinion.

edit: actually I think most people would agree with that.

SECOND ROUND RESULTS

Graeme Dott (Sco) 13-11 Ali Carter (Eng)

Mark Allen (NI) 13-12 Barry Hawkins (Eng)

Mark Williams (Wal) 13-4 Jamie Cope (Eng)

Judd Trump (Eng) 13-6 Martin Gould (Eng)

Ding Junhui (Chn) 13-12 Stuart Bingham (Eng)

Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng) 13-10 Shaun Murphy (Eng)

Rory McLeod (Eng) 7-13 John Higgins (Sco)

Mark Selby (Eng)13-4 Stephen Hendry (Sco)

QUARTER-FINAL SCORES (best of 25 frames)

Judd Trump (Eng) 11-5 Graeme Dott (Sco)

Mark Williams (Wal) 11-5 Mark Allen (NI)

Ding Junhui (Chi) 5-3 Mark Selby (Eng)

Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng) 4-4 John Higgins (Sco)

Guest howyousawtheworld

I think it's the best quarter final line up in recent years and the matches are living up to that status I feel especially Higgins v O'Sulliven which has been mesmeric! I would love to see Williams v O'Sulliven in the semis but it's just a shame that can't be a possible final. I'd like to see Trump v O'Sulliven in the final. That could be quite something.

World Snooker: Mark Williams eases past Mark Allen

_52362552_williamsbeatsallen.gif

Williams wraps up win over Allen

Mark Williams won the first two frames on Wednesday to seal a 13-5 quarter-final win over Mark Allen at the World Championship in Sheffield. The world number three led 11-5 overnight and needed less than an hour to seal his semi-final place against Ronnie O'Sullivan or John Higgins.

Also in the last four is Judd Trump, who saw off Graeme Dott 13-5. His semi-final opponent will be Ding Junhui or Mark Selby. Ding leads their match 10-6.

The morning session of that match was an attritional battle, which included a period of more than 40 minutes without a ball being potted. The final frame was a long, drawn-out affair, with Ding building a 47-0 advantage before Selby tried to claw his way back to ensure he went into the interval only two frames behind.

However, after both players missed a series of presentable openings, Ding eventually closed out to take a four-frame advantage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13209141.stm

_52362595_williamsint.gif

Mark Williams aims to calm Crucible expectations

Mark Williams says he will not allow himself to get carried away despite a comprehensive victory over Mark Allen at the World Championship in Sheffield.

The 36-year old secured his place in the semi-final following a 13-5 win over Northern Ireland's Allen. The last time Williams appeared in a Crucible semi-final he went on to win the title in 2003. "Let's not get carried away. I haven't been to the semi-final for a while," said two-time world champion Williams

"I'm going to get out there and enjoy it. Fingers crossed I will give my best and hopefully things can happen."

World number three Williams led 11-5 overnight against Allen and needed less than an hour to secure the two frames needed to seal his place in the last four.

His semi-final opponent will be the winner of the quarter-final match between Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins, and Williams says that it will make no difference which of the former world champions he will face. "You only want to avoid them [during] the first couple of rounds," said Williams. "I've played Ronnie in the second round [in] two of the last three or four years [and] probably that's why I haven't gone further in the tournament. You know you are always going to play some difficult in the semi-final. They're both as good as each other and it would be nice to watch them sweat it out and see who wins."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13211165.stm

_52375639_higgins_fluke.jpg

John Higgins prevails over O'Sullivan

John Higgins overcame his great rival Ronnie O'Sullivan 13-10 in the World Championship quarter-finals to book a semi-final with Mark Williams.

O'Sullivan led 7-4 at one stage but the Scot won the last three frames of the second session to level matters at 8-8.

He won the first on the resumption before O'Sullivan knocked in 116, but Higgins proved the more consistent.

He won three frames in a row before O'Sullivan rallied with 94, but a fluke allowed Higgins to seal it with 79.

Attempting to play a safety shot from the bottom cushion, the three-time champion enjoyed a fortuitous plant on a red into the middle pocket, and took full advantage of his good fortune.

It was an unfortunate way for O'Sullivan - also a three-time Crucible champion - to ultimately lose, but he wasted several opportunities in the final session when well placed.

"At 8-5 down I thought I was on my way out of the tournament because Ronnie's the best front-runner we've got," the 35-year-old Higgins said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13214148.stm

_51879656_selby226_getty.jpg

Mark Selby blames poor start for quarter-final exit

Mark Selby said two poor sessions - and two key shots in the final session - caused his defeat by Ding Junhui in the World Championship quarter-final.

Selby trailed 10-6 going into the final session but levelled at 10-10 before Ding won three in a row to seal it.

"The first two sessions were very poor and I gave myself a lot to do but I think I played very well to come back to 10-10," Selby told BBC Sport.

"And I think I just played two wrong shots [in the next two frames]."

The Leicester man identified a missed red that would have put him 11-10 up, when he played for position instead of securing the pot, and an attempt to move a red out on the following frame, when he said he was in two minds and should have got up off the shot.

"If it wasn't for those two balls, I think I'd have won the match," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13224911.stm

_52360292_trump.jpg

Judd Trump to face Ding Junhui in semis

Judd Trump thrashed Graeme Dott to reach the last four at the World Championship in Sheffield.

China Open winner Trump won the first two frames on Wednesday to seal a 13-5 victory and will now meet Ding Junhui.

The Chinese star saw Mark Selby recover from 10-6 down to make it 10-10 before Ding won a tense frame on the black and took the next two for a 13-10 victory.

Mark Williams beat Mark Allen 13-5 to book a semi-final against John Higgins, who overcame Ronnie O'Sullivan 13-10.

Bristolian Trump had to qualify to reach the tournament but smashed breaks of 67 and 78 as he quickly polished off his match against 2006 champion Dott.

The 21-year-old is in new territory at the Crucible but is feeling confident and relaxed as he contemplates his last-four match.

"I do feel a little bit invincible at the moment, it's a good feeling to have," said Trump.

"But at any stage of this tournament anybody could beat me 13-3 or 13-4 because the standard is so high. But I know I can do that to the rest of the players."

The Crucible becomes a one-table venue for the last four and Trump is looking forward to the challenge after admitting he found defeating Dott easier than expected.

"I think I'll go out and enjoy it a little more now," added Trump. "I've got the whole crowd to entertain now, which is going to be good, rather than having just half the arena to myself.

"It was a little bit easier than I thought it was going to be. Not that Graeme played badly, I just went out there from the start and played really well.

"I feel I can win the title. I don't want to give off a too-cocky image, but I'm very confident in myself and I think you need to be.

"A lot of the older players want to go out and teach you a lesson and batter you and put little scars on you for when you come here in the future. I just need to keep winning and keep that freshness."

Ding, despite four ranking titles to his name including two UK Championships, had never progressed beyond the second round in Sheffield before this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13209141.stm

_52429432_19thframe_break_640.jpg

Trump beats Ding in classic semi

Judd Trump became the second youngest player to reach the World Championship final with a breathtaking 17-15 win over Ding Junhui at The Crucible.

China's Ding produced three centuries and led 10-7, but the fireworks of the 21-year-old qualifier proved too much.

Resuming at 12-12, Trump went ahead with breaks of 74 and 89, but the world number four fired in a 138 and 119.

Ding kept battling but the spiky-haired Bristolian won three successive frames, a 105 break sealing a famous victory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13224561.stm

Battling Higgins reaches final

John Higgins produced a gritty display to beat Mark Williams 17-14 and set up a mouth-watering World Championship final with Judd Trump.

Williams dominated for much of the match with three centuries but too many errors cost him dear.

The three-time champion clung to the Welshman's tails and battled ahead for the first time at 12-11 on Saturday morning.

Resuming 13-11 behind in the evening, Williams bagged a 105 and 92, but Higgins knocked in a 123 before edging two scrappy frames for victory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13229999.stm

Guest howyousawtheworld

Disappointed Williams didn't get to the final. But hey John Higgins did what he does best. Talking of which it's about a year since that betting scandal he was involved in. Glad to see it has washed away.