✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable found dead at home

mc_squared

Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable found dead at home

By Mail Online Reporter

Last updated at 1:07 PM on 7th June 2010

article-1284621-09ED5496000005DC-378_233x645.jpg Ex Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable has been found dead at his home

Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable has been found dead at his home after a suspected drinking binge.

The rock star was found at 5.30am this morning, just a day after his old band played a massive homecoming concert.

South Wales Police said the cause of death had not been established but there were no suspicious circumstances at this stage.

Cable was a founder member of the chart-topping Stereophonics who had massive hits including Have A Nice Day, Local Boy In The Photograph, Just Looking and Bartender And The Thief.

But he was ousted from the band six years ago after falling out with singer Kelly Jones.

He missed out on the Stereophonics gig at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday night when 30,000 fans cheered on his old band.

Cable - who has admitted he was a hard drinker and drug-user - was found dead at his home in Aberdare, South Wales.

He had vowed to give up his rock'n'roll lifestyle after bringing out his biography called Demons And Cocktails - saying fame turned him into a 'coke-taking zombie'.

His mother Mabel, 79, said: 'Stuart has travelled all over the world with the band and I have worried myself silly.

'He is now settled down and then this has happens. It has not sunk in yet.'

Cable's brother Paul said: 'The family has no further comment to make at this stage. It is in the hands of the police.'

The drummer told how he went off the rails drinking and snorting cocaine after the Stereophonics hit the big-time.

He told how he would get 'plastered' on two-day drug binges - and how he found a girlfriend naked after collapsing from an overdose in a scene reminiscent of 'Pulp Fiction'.

Cable said: 'We were high as kites and plastered from beer and shorts. This girl decided she'd had enough and went to bed.

article-1284621-09ED8F35000005DC-785_468x286.jpg Death scene: Police stand guard at the gates of Stuart Cable's house in Aberdare, South Wales

'I stayed up to finish off the powder and whisky. When I finally retired myself I knocked on the bedroom door to make sure she was alright but there was no answer.

'I found her on the floor of the bathroom, in the nude, shaking. I s**t myself - it was like a scene out of Pulp Fiction.

'I didn't know what to do. I raced back and forth from room to room.

'I wanted to scream for help but at the same time I really didn't want the rest of the band to barge in and see what I had caused.

'She was still shaking violently. I held her tight with tears rolling down my face.

'I thought she was going to die but luckily she cooled down and stopped trembling, eventually opening her eyes.

'Later that night I lay in bed and vowed never to touch the stuff again.'

article-1284621-0017F7E400000258-605_468x322.jpg Cable, left, with former Stereophonic bandmates singer Kelly Jones, centre, and bassist Richard Jones, right

But Cable admitted that just three days later he was already using cocaine again.

He said: 'Looking back I was a pain in the a***. I can be a pain in the a*** without the influence of drugs so I can only imagine what was like to be around me when I was high.

'When we went on tour coke was never far behind for me and once a show was over I turned into some kind of coke-taking zombie.'

Cable, who grew up in the South Wales pit village of Cwmaman with his bandmates, then started cheating on his wife Nicola with TV star Lisa Rogers.

His fellow bandmates Kelly Jones and Richard Jones were unhappy with Cable's drug-taking and their relationship deteriorated.

Cable said: 'We went from a tight-knit rock band who were the best of friends to the two musketeers against the hyperactive junkie clown.

article-1284621-000C850B00000258-283_468x301.jpg The Stereophonics pose with Prince Charles in 1998, six years after the band was formed

'The more we started to drift apart the more I rebelled and went my own way.'

He was eventually kicked out of the band in September 2003 after a bust-up with frontman Kelly.

Cable said: 'I felt incredibly sorry for myself, wanted to curl up into a big, round ball under my blankets. It was the darkest time of my life.'

Cable, who confesses to his drug binges in his autobiography Demons and Cocktails due out on Friday, carried on partying and doing drugs but finally cleaned up his act after moving back to the Welsh valleys.

He said: 'I moved back to my old village because if I didn't I'd have probably ended up dead or round the bend - or both.'

Father-of-two Cable had been playing with his new band Killing for Company who supported The Who last year.

He had also established himself as a media personality for BBC Wales - hosting his own radio show called Cable Rock.

South Wales Valleys coroner Peter Maddox has been informed of the death.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1284621/Ex-Stereophonics-drummer-Stuart-Cable-dead-home.html#ixzz0qAdWpiQj