✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Describe The Evolution Of Your Music Taste

Prince Myshkin

I was thinking today about the wide range of music that I have listened to in my life, and the way that my music taste has evolved. I have been introduced to lots of different bands and genres, whether it was from my family, my friends, online or on nights out.

I have found that since the age of around 13 (a specific age since that was when Is This It by The Strokes was released) my music taste has been quite consistent. Whilst I may listen to different genres as well now, there is nothing I can think of which I look back on (from 13 and older) and cringe that I once liked that band. I think this is a good thing for myself and that I am not too reactionary when it comes to changing trends and being easily influenced by 'coolness'.

pre 13 - Started with pop and classical music (classical has been a constant, though very much in the background throughout), plus bands such as Happy Mondays, Beck and New Order which my Dad listened to which I enjoyed (possibly more due to familiarity and then in my later teens greater appreciated the quality of those works), and then on to rap with the likes of Eminem and Dr Dre. My sister was also a big influence during this time and she listened to a lot of 'goth' and grunge music at the time. She also introduced me to Radiohead, Nirvana, Deftones and Marilyn Manson (though these were very much in the background and I couldn't quite understand how good some of it was).

13-17 - After Coldplay had broken me into more guitar influenced music Is This It by The Strokes was released and I started listening to music which had more energy. The Strokes, Kings Of Leon's first two records, The White Stripes and The Libertines, along with bands like The Cribs and The Hives. As well as this genre i also started getting into the likes of Trip Hop'sMassive Attack, Portishead and Punk and Post Punk such as Joy Division and Sex Pistols.

17-20 - When I got to College and met a new group of people (the first time I had been amongst like minded people, both with their outlook on life and also on music) I started seeking out what I consider to be much more thought provoking and beautiful music. During this time I also started looking at large volumes of work from different bands due to downloading. The familiarity of Massive Attack and Portishead allowed me to delve deeply into Radiohead, Bjork, CocoRosie, Daniel Johnston, Arcade Fire, Beirut, Flaming Lips, Sigur Ros and Antony & the Johnson's, and I also saw a resurgence for rap and became of aware of shoegazing (which was a nice midway point between the new beautiful music I was listening to and the guitar based energetic bands I had been heavily into previously) through My Bloody Valentine. This period also so me get into The Smiths, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and The Velvet Underground. Arctic Monkeys and Jimi Hendrix get honourable mentions here too.

20-22 - Having been at university and also looking into as much new music as possible I felt my music taste move away from some of the more thrashy bands of the past and get into more folky music and excellently written songs. I got heavily into David Bowie, The Beatles (their trippy stuff and Revolver/Rubber Soul especially - I had already been aware of their early work and found it ok), Department Of Eagles, Atlas Sound, Devendra Banhart, Leonard Cohen, Aphex Twin (a wildcard but there is plenty of beauty to be found there) and Neil Young.

I am really excited about what the future holds for music and the new things I shall hear.

Can you path your evolving tastes?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pre 13: boy bands, heaps of pop stuff. Then bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte...and THEN I started liking The Beatles, U2, Rolling Stones.

now: (wow, I'm young) I listen to a lot of international alternative/indie music. I also like some electronic and some hip hop. I've been a bit obsessed with New Zealand (mainly punk) bands. Purely because my favourite international bands don't usually come here, so I listen to music where I can say "oh, I want to see them live" and I do exactly that the next week or whatever! it rules!

8-13: Huge teen pop fan, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears. I guess it helped to develop my taste for music in english, don't like how music in spanish sounds so I don't go to many concerts, most of the chilean bands suck

13-15: I liked Linkin Park a lot, also The Offspring, System Of a Down, etc. Also some Eminem stuff

15-18: Coldplay, The Strokes, The Beatles, The Killers, U2. Mostly very famous bands because I had limited internet access back then so I used to find those bands on tv.

18-23: The same bands I liked since I was 15 and I joined coldplaying so it was the a good place to discover bands, I found lots of new bands here for example Arcade Fire which is one of my favorite bands now. Sigur Rós, Metric, etc. Also read about Muse for the first time here :heart:

Pre 13 - I was into mostly traditional music like celtic folk/rock. So bands like Rawlins Cross, The Rankin Family, Great Big Sea. Also some alt-country like Blue Rodeo.

13-17 For a few years I listened to some Christian rock like the Newsboys, dc Talk, and Delerious. But this is when I really got into U2, they were my favourite band for a very long time and I still enjoy them a lot. Also got into the usual suspects around here like Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Arcade Fire kind of the usual suspects around here. There were also a handful of local bands I listened to a lot like Joel Plaskett, Matt Mays, Pilate, the Trews.

18-21 First year university is when I dove headfirst into Radiohead and listened to ALOT of them. Turning 19 meant I could go to clubs to see shows so that opened a lot more doors musically. I really go into Canadian indie at this point as well. So bands like Apostle of Hustle, Stars, Broken Social Scene, Metric, Hey Rosetta!, Joel Plaskett.

22 and on

Well that only covers the summer and on. So lots of Arcade Fire, the National, of Montreal, Land of Talk, etc.

From the age of 7 I Had 2 S- Club CD's which I Would play over and over :embarrassed:. Then by the age of nine I Was Fluent in the music of Abba, Yes every car journey was a Abba Journey :P.

I Used to listen to Pop music and Some of My Dad's CD's such as Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles . until aged 13/14 . Then I Started listening to more Alternative kinda Music and Then I Discovered the Music of Coldplay which has led me to Coldplaying and a Huge Group of People who have great tastes in music and help you to discover new music .

Pre 13 : American mainstream, music played on the local radios here. Music from Akon, Timbaland, Avril Lavigne, those famous rap songs, famous rock songs, Fall Out Boy, All-American Rejects, Good Charlotte, Maroon 5, etc. I still like AAR though.

There was a point where I relied Billboard to find out new songs more than the local radios here. :|

I'm not sure when.

15 years old (Around erm, July?) : COLDPLAY COLDPLAY COLDPLAY. I slowly edged out of mainstream and went towards British music.

16 years old : Which is the age I'm in now. I totally went out of the music I listened to back then. I slowly edged out of Coldplay. I started listening to more bands, explored more genres than before and started to widen my music taste to not only music of the present but of the past too.

Eddie is the coolest kid I've ever known. :cool3:

. . . . .

Pre 13 to 15: I listen to sucky music. Mainstream overloaded. :|

16: 99% Coldplay, 1% of other Britrock bands.

17: I joined Coldplaying. :wacky: 90% Coldplay, 2% Travis, 1% Snow Patrol and 7% of other Britrock bands. If you look at my Last.fm during this time, you'll see 1500 Coldplay plays, and Travis came second with 100 plays. Coldplaying siggy shows high-level of Coldplayism. :|

18: Went to Coldplay concert for the first time, but since then my interest over them degraded, (not to say their concert wasn't good, in fact that gig was superbly awesome :awesome:) and I started to discover other new, great musicians such as Sufjan Stevens, Beirut, Radiohead, etc. No more mainstream music for me, and my Last.fm began to show some quality. :P Coldplaying siggy shows moderate-level of Coldplayism.

19: I'm into indie, folk, rock, alternative and indie rock, including:

Coldplay, Travis, Sufjan Stevens, Vampire Weekend, Muse, Radiohead, Snow Patrol, Fleet Foxes, The Killers, Beirut, Mat Kearney, Kings of Leon, Athlete, Andrew Bird, Arcade Fire, Mew, MGMT, The Fray, Local Natives, U2, Joel Plaskett, Eskimo Joe, The Beatles, Keane, Grizzly Bear, Freelance Whales, Friendly Fires, Oasis, Kasabian, of Montreal, Depeche Mode, Arctic Monkeys, Turin Brakes, The Swell Season, The Temper Trap, Death Cab for Cutie, Julian Casablancas, Library Voices, Geographer, The Stone Roses, Surfer Blood, The Frames, The Kooks, Kaiser Chiefs, Bat for Lashes, Tokyo Police Club, Atlas Sound, Telekinesis, White Lies, Stereophonics.

Thanks Last.fm for providing me this list, I don't have to list it out one by one. :tongue: Coldplaying siggy shows no Coldplayism at all. :shame:

It's not a good story though. :|

pre 13: i listened music my parents listened (mostly my dad) that was:

(from dad): The Police, Pink Floyd (i remember my dad filming The Wall in the early 90s, which influenced me a lot in the early teens, as with Quadrophenia movie), Mike Oldfield, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley. (which mainly setted the genres i checked most and developed my likes in music, so i usually refer to them as 'The Classics').

(from mom) is mostly spanish melodic music, that probably none of you would know: Los Pecos, Francisco, Lorenzo Santamaria, Formula V, Los Diablos, Los Puntos

back then i had to tolerate mainstream pop as BackStreet Boys, NSync, Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Monica Naranjo, that meant and gave nothing to me, althought later i got proven that Monica's voice is really powerful so i changed my view on her.

13 to 16: high school time. I dig more into my dad's LPs: Supertramp, Jean-Michel Jarre, Genesis, Toto, Kraftwerk, The Alan Parsons Project, Tangerine Dream, OMD, Carlos Santana, Enya, Blondie, (some local) Triana, Los Brincos, Los Bravos, Los Pekenikes, Bloque (and i started to own some of The Classics, which collections i finished myself).

and discovered music myself, mostly similar to Coldplay. Starsailor, Snow Patrol, Travis, or some local due to the 80's revival or anniversaries as Tino Casal, and tolerated more some pop as Nek.

16 to 18: i discovered some local bands, that are clasified indie. Lazarus Craker, Anotherway, Second, Clom.

Clom influenced me a lot to check other sounds, as rap, hip-hop, metal, and also to listen not only spanish or british music, and liked some more known bands as: Pereza.

19: a big change at the early 19 caused me to change my taste and views in many things, and at times i notice i keep checking mainly stuff from the 2005-2006, as trying to get something from that period that i missed for some reason, but that i will never get back.

in that time i discovered more genres better and bands (early through a tv channel (FlyMusic) that now has disappeared here, and for the board: Muse & Radiohead, or other music medias) as: Phoenix, Scissor Sisters, The Feeling, The Fray, Tiga, Beck, Spinto Band, Editors, Interpol, Nizlopi, The Unfinished Sympathy, Stereophonics, Jet, The Raconteurs, Depeche Mode, The Strokes, Moby, Mattafix, Matisyahu, Arctic Monkeys, and others from more Rock or Heavy style that i checked few years later better.

20 to 21: a year living abroad in Portugal, so i discovered some 'local' bands: David Fonseca, Cla, A Naifa, Coldfinger, The Legendary Tiger Man, Rita Redshoes, Da Weasel, Humanos, Wraygunn, Hands on Approach. That probably influenced me to check Blues a bit better few time later.

More known i got into Placebo, Dover and Nirvana (probably for their revelry, thought i wanted to check them 10 years before but feared they'd be a bad influence to my teen years) Sigur ros and some similar bands. I also started to check some artist better as: Joy Division, The Velvet Underground, The Doors, Pixies, The Smiths, Morrisey, Suede, The Smashing Pumpkins, Manic Street Preachers, Oasis and locals as Deluxe. And some modern electronica/shoegaze M83, Mogwai, Mono, Explosions in the sky (which i mainly checked for Placebo's Sleeping with ghost's line).

I also checked some pop, called twee pop: Acid King House, A Smile and a Ribbon.

22 to 23:

Attended the local festival devoted to France made me check french music as to follow the festival the next years: Benjamin Biolay, Coralie Clément, Keren Ann, I Muvrini, Alan Stivell, Serge Gainsbourg, Tryo, Indochine. (though Serge and Indochine i knew them mostly for Placebo). Madeleine Peyroux, Lucinda Williams, Eli 'Paperboy' Reed.

also i was back from abroad experience, trying to get a job and finish uni and so, i got into Heavy/Metal to 'relieve' from stress of the situation, getting into HIM, Black Sabbath, Manowar, Motorhead, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Apocalyptica, Epica, Rammstein even checking grindmetal, which i disliked completely as gave me headaches.

When i tried to learn guitar (for like the million time) i digged in History, and so checked Blues/Country/Rock: Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Django Reinhardt, Pink Anderson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Bonamassa.

I got more into new music and local indie: Fanfarlo, Love of Lesbian, Lori Meyers, Vetusta Morla, Delorean, Mumford and Sons, Noah and the Whale, Vampire Weekend, MGMT.

I also when to a period when i checked a lot of female vocalists: Metric, Feist, St Vincent.

Now: i listen what i like depeding on the mood or exploring similar style, but mainly the bands i used to listen (which now that i check are many), though i'm in periods when i lose all track about them while i dig in other genres or artists.