✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Describe The Evolution Of Your Music Taste

Prince Myshkin

I posted back in 2010... jeez that's a while ago. I figured I'd add to my post:

I find that most of my Musical Taste "eras" are hugely based off of specific bands which I typically get into obsessions with listening to. So keep in mind that a lot of these different stages typically cross over between eachother.

Pre-2001 (pre-12): For me music was a part of my life but I didn't really explore any bands on my own or actively listen/play music. It was primarily the influence of my dad that I listened to all the music. The only band that really comes to mind is The Beatles, though I did listen to a lot of the classic rock songs/stations that he did to as well mainly because that's what was on in the car/house/etc.

2001-2002 (12-13): Believe it or not it was right after 9/11 that there was a tv call in to send in money in effort to help out the families and clean up effort as well as honor the firefighters and police officers. It was called the Concert for NY. At that show I was watching it not only for it being to honor those people, but also see Paul McCartney play, who was the last to play. At the concert The Who played and they were really amazing. So from there I got into them and that is when I opened the floodgates to getting into other bands. From there I focused most of my listening to classic rock bands. So artists like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were the main bands that I really listened to over and over again. I dove into their back catalog and listened to them inside and out. At the same time I also really started getting into the solo works of The Beatles because being so familiar with that band I wanted to explore what they did outside of the band. Of course there were tons of other "classic rock" bands that I listened to as well (like Queen, David Bowie, Elton John, Billy Joel, The Doors, The Rolling Stones). Another reason for me getting into a lot of these artists was I was just starting to learn how to play guitar so I looked to a lot of the guitar works of these bands for inspiration and striving to a level I wanted to achieve... though I never even came close . Guitarists include Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), and Pete Townshend (The Who)

2003-2004 (14-15) The classic rock phase of my musical taste continued well into High School, so I still was into all of the bands listed above fairly heavily, though I wasn't into The Who nearly as much. At this point Led Zeppelin sort of was on the back burner a little bit and Pink Floyd was a big band that I continued to like. However there was one band that I was completely obsessed with at this time, Van Halen. Looking back I can't believe how much I loved this band. I practically breathed the band. At the time I was so into great guitar players that hearing the works of Eddie Van Halen blew me away. So for a good amount of time here They were the only band that I pretty much listened to.

2005-2006 (16-17): It was kind of strange but then after a while I didn't listen to Van Halen as much. The next phase of music taste had began and from this point on there would be very few moments that I would really go back and heavily listen to classic rock artists (though of course there are exceptions). At this time I was in my aunt's car and she was playing a CD by a band called Coldplay. I found the music to be so different than music I was listening to prior but I really liked it a lot. I ended up getting A Rush of Blood to the Head and really loved their music so much. This was the moment in time that I began to look forward at music rather than backwards (in terms of older bands/current). I really really got into the band I'd say a few months/weeks from the release of X&Y. They were once again one of those bands that I constantly listened to and I played X&Y so much that I never thought I'd get sick of it. I also was sure to give a listen to all of their older work as well as dive into their b-side catalog. It just could not get enough of this band. However after listening so much I wanted to find other bands that were similar. So there was a brief period of time that I got into U2, and was really amazed with Achtung Baby. Then I think from there I began to learn about another band at the end of 2006. This band was Radiohead. Also at this time I got into Oasis for a while thinking they were a lot like The Beatles.

2007-2008 (18-19): Radiohead has been the one band that I'd say I've been obsessed with the most. Of course the Beatles have had a much longer influence, but Radiohead have had a big influence on my tastes. I initially listened to the band sometime around 2001-2002, from a friend of my brothers who gave me OK Computer. I felt the band to be extremely depressing... especially the vocals. I did however like Karma Police and Exit Music. Back to the end of 2006 I was just starting college. I was in a new location in terms of school and people I was around. So I guess it fit well to get into a new band. I really got into the band heavily in 2007 while waiting for their upcoming release which would be In Rainbows. I can't tell you how much I listened to this band. These two years I listened to them so much, and it only fueled the fire by getting to see them live twice. During this era I had a period of time that I looked back and was into Pink Floyd for a while as well as Bob Dylan too. Also during this period of time I started to really get into Beck. He was a big artist for me and I looked up to him so much as a songwriter. I really loved how each album was so different from the next. Also I loved how he was able to have so many different genres of music incorporated within his albums/songs. Also it opened me op to being more tolerant of various genres, especially Rap/Hip Hop. Also at this time I began to listen to the Arcade Fire, and also saw them at the end of 2007. They really blew me away and were one band that I had a good few months where they were what I primarily listened to, but I then took a break for a while. Another few artists that I really got into were Panda Bear, MGMT, The Flaming Lips.

2009-2010 (20-21): I continued to listen to Radiohead during this time as well as Beck. I found that their music also really opened my eyes into the world of electronica, and I started listening to bands like Boards of Canada, Ratatat, Four Tet and others. At this time I think my music tastes really exploded in that there aren't really many bands that I can focus and say defined this period of time. I got into many different bands like Animal Collective, Beach House, Broken Social Scene, Metric, Grizzly Bear, The National, Andrew Bird, Sigur Ros. Another artist I also really got into was The Album Leaf. It was very relaxing music, and since then I have also looked out for more relaxed/post-rock bands (Explosions in the Sky, Jonsi & Alex, etc). At this time, especially this year I rediscovered Arcade Fire and really got into them a lot! I had liked them a lot before but having new music, as well as seeing them live has helped me fall in love with the band. I also ended up rediscovering U2 and having them be one of my favorite bands. Lastly I have found that especially this year I have been listening to many more artists with female vocalists (Metric, Land of Talk, Beach House, Stars). Arcade Fire was probably the biggest band I rediscovered.

2011-Present (22-24): Looking back on this list it is pretty interesting to see how things progressed being that the last "era" of time was filled with a lot of Canadian bands, indie, and alternative bands like Grizzly Bear. From 2011 to Present it seems that 2011 was the year that I started to move away from bands I liked in previous years like Animal Collective. I feel I continued listened to alternative/folk-ish/indie type artists and really listened to a lot of artists such as Other Lives, Andrew Bird, and The Antlers. Strangely enough I found that a lot of the bands I had previous listened to in the previous "era" I didn't listen to as much even though they were kind of similar. Though Radiohead as always still stays to continue to be my favorite bands and probably most listened to, even with the other incarnation with Atoms for Peace. By listening to Radiohead and Atoms for Peace it sort of opened my ears more into Electronic music which I feel that this period of time will be partially defined and a genre that will expand. Some electronic artists I've listened to a lot of during this time includes Four Tet, Boards of Canada, Trentemoller, Arms and Sleepers, etc. Also some other bands that I really got into from this time are Gorillaz, The National. The biggest band I probably got into at this time has actually been in the last year, and it's Talking Heads. Overall I feel as the years have progressed from 2011 to present that I've been increasing my focus on listening to more electronic bands/artists and I guess dancey music.

Very excited to see where my music likes/tastes will go!

Key bands for me over the years (Chronologically)

The Beatles

The Who

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Van Halen

Coldplay

Radiohead

Beck

U2

Arcade Fire

Other Lives

Talking Heads

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ueh.. my evolution of music taste is very weird.

Before secondary school I wasn't concerned with music, Only got a couple CD's of the Belgian girlband 'K3'... :shocked2:

During the first half year of my secondary school (2008), I was fan of Miley Cyrus.

Looking back at that time, I could have kicked myself, because my taste was awful.

But in 2009, the whole taste of mine changed. I came into contact with the best band in the world, Coldplay. It was during a history lesson of my favourite teacher Mr. Schelwald, he played Viva La Vida. he changed my life a sort of.

In 2009 I had a friend, who had a friend who went tho the Coldplay concert at Goffertpark, Nijmegen (09-09-09) And she let me in touch with new music like Oasis, the Verve, U2, Green Day, Muse and many, many more.

Overall, I have never been that in touch with only popular music, I always elaborate on artist!

When I was like 8 or 9 I was a fan of Avril Lavigne. I used to sing her song a lot on SingStar so my mum bought me her albums for Christmas. I also really liked P!nk. Soon after, I heard Coldplay's Violet Hill on the radio so I made my mum buy me Viva La Vida cd. I wasn't a big fan of it though and I lost the cd pretty soon. My mum was a big fan of RHCP at that time so I used to listen to their songs quite a lot too.

A few years later, when I was 11 or 12 I watched the movie Camp Rock, which got me into Jonas Brothers and Demi Lovato. I was seriously obsessed with Jonas Brothers. I still have their whole discography including solo projects and soundtracks on cds. I also liked Miley Cyrus.

When I was 13-14, Jonas Brothers went on a hiatus and my musical taste started chaning a lot. I was into Bon Jovi for a shorter time, I even saw them live at that time, but then I found my Viva La Vida cd and gave it a play. That's when I got into Coldplay really badly. For half a year I was only listening to Coldplay and Coldplay. Rumours about their fifth album started. That was the time I joined Coldplaying too. But then I found a part of Coldplaying called "The World of Music". There were so many threads about all of those bands I had heard nothing about. One of them that got my eye was - Radiohead.

I remember that almost all of the artists I liked before mentioned that Radiohead was one of their influences. And I had never heard a song of theirs before, so I decided to gave them a listen. That was a month before "The King of Limbs" was announced and released. I wasn't too impressed with them. Their songs seemed weird to me. But I didn't give up, I really wanted to like them. And then - The King of Limbs was released, marking the second big change in my taste. I really loved it from the first listen. It could also probably be the album I've listened to the most in my whole life. I downloaded the rest of their discography and found out that their other albums were even better than The King of Limbs. The next two years I spent most of my free time listening and exploring them. In Rainbows and Kid A became my favourite albums. They are still my favourite band. I saw them live in September last year. I was most-likely the youngest guy in the audience. :lol: People gave me weird looks, but that didn't put me away from "Yorke-dancing" in the front row. :lol: Sometime in those two years I also discovered Arcade Fire, which are still one of my favourite bands. Unfortunately, I got into them just a week after they performed here in Zagreb. :disappointed: They're the first band to see live on my bucket list.

Last year (I was 15) was when I discovered Pitchfork, which has been feeding me with new music until now. :lol: I got into a lot of other artists, but those worth mentioning are: Sigur Ros, Foals, Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver, The xx, The Antlers, Neutral Milk Hotel, Talking Heads, Joy Division, Crystal Castles, Beirut, Burial, Four Tet, Jai Paul, Susanne Sundfor (thanks to William), Sufjan Stevens (thanks to Violet), Frank Ocean, Kanye West (thanks to Eddie)...

Aaand now when I'm 16 I'm mostly listening to The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, The National, Tame Impala, Justin Timberlake, David Bowie, Phosphorescent, The Knife, etc... I probably forgot to mention a dozen of other bands I listen to.

Here's a full list: http://www.last.fm/user/SpaceSymphony

I used to listen the little kiddie cassette tape sing-a-long things...and then I wasn't into music...and then I found out about Coldplay...then Keane...and I guess I'll just listen to anything I like the sound of...exciting, right?

Let's see... Music has been a huge part of my life, since I was born. There was one night when I was two and I kept crying, until my mom put on music. Ever since then, I have had a huge passion for music. I remember my first CD I ever bought was a Mandy Moore CD. Man, I loved that CD. Then I moved on to NSync, ATeens and Aaron Carter. Later on, I started getting into Disney Channel musicals, movie soundtracks and the Now That's What I Call Music CD's. After that, I started getting into stuff like the Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato, Big Time Rush and anything popular on the radio. Then from there, I started exploring other genres. I got hooked into alternative and EDM as the years go by. Now, I love EDM, alternative, rock, classic rock, and top 40 pop.

• 1 year later...

Mine is kind of an interesting story I guess.

I wasn't interested in music at all until about 2009, when someone (probably my dad) bought me an ipod for my birthday. Before then the only music I'd heard was what was on the radio, stuff my mum played in the car (usually random old mixtapes) and a few of my mum's random CDs that we had at home (stuff like Shania Twain, Natasha Beddingfield and other cheesy rubbish). My parents had been separated for a few years so I never really heard any of the music that my dad was into, and when I went to see him he often mentioned bands like Pink Floyd and Radiohead but I never really had any means to listen to them.

When I got my ipod I was 14 and I guess most people had already sort of developed a music taste by then, but I had no idea what I wanted to listen to. I basically borrowed a few CDs from my dad and brother from bands that I'd heard of including Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Kings of Leon, Blur and Stereophonics. I basically listened to nothing but this small collection of bands for a while, mainly because they were 'cool' among the people that I was friends with at the time. I may have first listened to Radiohead during this time period too, but decided they weren't for me at that point.

Eventually in 2011 when I was 16 I started actively following bands and getting interested in live music, and went to my first gig (which was KoL in Hyde Park) and also started following what Coldplay were doing. At some point that year I stumbled upon Coldplaying and found a community of music-loving people that helped me discover some more bands, such as Muse and U2. I got quite into Muse at this point, and also around this time I tried listening to Radiohead again and their music appealed to me a lot more than before.

In 2012 I joined the Muse board (the horror!) and similar to when I joined Coldplaying I discovered that there was a big community of music fans there who liked the same sorts of bands. I started checking out some of these bands, mainly those who had influenced Muse such as Deftones, Nirvana, SOAD and RATM. My music taste started to shift towards heavier stuff. This continued into 2013 as I discovered bands like Biffy Clyro and QOTSA as well as starting to discover more underground bands like Arcane Roots and ASIWYFA. Later in 2013 I went to uni and made some friends who shared a similar music taste and since then we've basically been discovering music together and listening to the same sort of stuff. They introduced me to Frank Turner, a folk/punk/rock/singer/songwriter who's a brilliant lyricist and generally a cool guy.

In the past year I've become more interested in instrumental music, with bands like ASIWYFA and 65daysofstatic being some of my favourites, and stuff that's kinda hard to fit into a particular genre other than being generally awesome like Oceansize, Enter Shikari and Amplifier. Recently I've been trying to check out more progressive bands like Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree, and I expect this trend to continue in the future.

My relationship with music began at a quite young age, my dad used to play guitar and keyboards when i was little on his free time, so I would listen to him playing REM songs.

He had a great collection of vinyls that sadly now got lost/sold, so i was familiar with bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Police, Dire Straits when i was about 6-7.

Then I started playing mixtapes or cds my sister made with top 40s songs from the 90's and early 00's, it had Blur, Radiohead, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers in it, but i wasnt able to recognise them. This went on 'til 2009, when i got wifi connection for the first time.

I remember 2009 as the year i would do my homework listening to an old radio, Muse were big that year, i remember being addicted to Uprising and Resistance.

2010 was the year everything changed, not only music wise, i started high school and i discovered the tv show chuck, that had one of the best soundtracks ever.

The song used in that tv show got me to alternative rock, and having wifi at the time, it was the first time i actually started to learn song's names and artists, i started downloading music for the first time, bands like Datarock, Jet, Band of Horses, Bon Iver and many many others were important for me.

December 2010, i was searching for either a One Republic or a The Temper Trap song, but youtube leads me to In My Place by Coldplay, my life changes.

I get into Coldplay in a proper way by early 2011, subscribe on coldplayzone where everybody is fond of Radiohead... Radiohead, who are they? They tell me to listen to Creep, I do, but I hate it with all my heart. Months and Months after i find myself in November, watching a new episode of Chuck, Codex by Radiohead is in it. After discovering Radiohead my music taste starts changing but its still strongly linked to rock music.

2010-2011-2012 were strange years, i was way too obsessed with what others thought of music, too close minded, i wouldnt listen to pop music or even pretend to dislike it, i was going out with metalheads (lmao yes i know), i would wear Iron Maiden and Metallica t shirts because i was afraid of not being cool enough.

But 2013 was the best year of my life musically speaking, i start posting here and i meet people like Thalia and Greg, they get me into electronic and ambiental/experimental music. Opening my mind for the first time, since February 2013 i got into loads of djs, solo singers, bands, loads and loads and loads of different genres. In 2014 i understood that liking pop, shitty, plastic music was okay, i stopped caring what other people thought of pop music.

Now i listen to everything but country and screamo lol

I never really liked crap music :wacko:

12-14: I wasn't really into music but I got a new alarm clock I thought it'd be a good idea to wake up with music in the morning so I asked my dad if I could borrow some cds, because I didn't know radio was a thing. Turns out I had the same music taste as my dad, so I listened to Peter Gabriel, Talk Talk, Peter Hammill and Elvis. Especially Elvis, because that was the best to wake me up :P At school, when someone would ask me what music I liked I would shrug and say "haha I dunno loads of things" because Elvis REALLY wasn't cool enough :|

14-16: I discovered Coldplay and became an obsessed fangirl. I realised radio is an fact a thing and discovered Muse, Editors and a few other things probably but it was basically 80% Coldplay, 15% Muse, 5% Editors. this was also not cool enough so I pretended I didn't really like music but in reality it was (is) my favourite thing in the world.... Also, I couldn't stand Elvis anymore and I still don't really know why... listened too much, ashamed because that was even less cool than what I liked at this point, I don't know

16-18 (now): properly discovered Editors. Less Coldplay & Muse, more Elbow, The National and Arcade Fire and a few other things of course. Now it's 60% Editors, 10% Coldplay, 10% The National, 5% Elbow, 5% Arcade Fire and 10% other stuff. And I can stand Elvis again :p

0-12 I listened to the music my parents listened to. For my mom it was U2 and Train most of the time. A lot of The Joshua Tree, HTDAAB, and Drops of Jupiter. With my dad, it was all rock 'n roll, well for both parents it was, but my dad was a big Zeppelin fan as a kid. He would listen to them, The Who, REM, Bruce Springsteen, and many others.

12-18 At around 12, I got my first ipod, a 2nd generation nano. I remember at my grandparents house, my grandpa gave my dad this cd with a white cover and what looked like a weird looking head on it. I remember him saying, "You should check out this album called A Rush of Blood to the Head by this band called Coldplay". After that, the rest was history as they say. I also got into Snow Patrol around this time. So from about 15-18, I pretty much only listened to Coldplay, U2, and Snow Patrol and whatever was on the radio(usually a classic rock station).

20-present

Well back to the present, I now listen to more bands than before. Within the last 2 years I discovered this little band from Manchester called Oasis. I got hooked and they are one of my favorite bands now. Because of them I am also a fan of NGHFB. Beady Eye wasn't so bad either haha. I also got into this Nashville based rock band called Safetysuit. I recommend them to anyone who wants to hear a more modern approach to alt rock. They aren't too bad. They have a 3rd album coming out soon hopefully.

That's about it. I play guitar and write music but it's shit. :P

When I was younger, I tried to be cool. I pretended to like what my friends liked, and what was considered great at the time. It wasn't really anything that I emotionally liked. The type of music was your regular homogenized crap you hear on the radio. I then found a band called "The Counting Crows" and I took a particular liking to them (still am a fan of their earlier stuff). That's when I began to enjoy music for myself instead of trying to please others. The Counting Crows actually got me into playing piano, oddly enough, it was the track "A Long December" that made me want to try it out. I then found Coldplay, and the music was just what I always thought music was meant to be. The harmony Coldplay create in their chord progressions, and the lyrics are incredible. Specifically, songs like Fix You, The Scientist, Clocks, Everything's Not Lost, Sparks, Yellow, Politik, they're all incredible, emotionally powerful. I don't care what people say about Coldplay, it really doesn't matter, and I am not embarrassed to say I am a die-hard. I'll fly the flag. This is the music that I consider to be beautiful, this is the music I identify with, this is the music that rushes through my heart. It makes me feel alive and in touch with my senses. It's like musical nirvana for me, a clear understanding of what is awesome.

I also love instrumentals. I am a big fan of Yiruma and Ludovico Einaudi. You really know you are listening to good music when you basically enter a trance-like state that can't be broken throughout the entirety of the piece, and that's what these artists bring to me.

When i was a kid I listened to whatever my parents listened to (mostly the Beatles and stuff like that as they're my dad's favorite band) and just grew up listening to them and some Bob Dylan as well. Then one day I remember riding my bike around my neighborhood and listening to the songs my dad had randomly uploaded on my ipod nano 3G and clocks came on and instantly I loved it. That day I went home and listened to a bunch of their songs and Coldplay very quickly became my favorite band (this all happened right around/just before the viva era). From that point on nearly everything I listened to was Coldplay and I really didn't branch out into other music for quite some time. Nowadays I listen to mainly alternative/folk/rock/songwriter stuff, and basically look for non cliche music that has some purpose or meaning or at the very least actual skill and effort behind it (looking at you over-producd fake pop artists). Now, I have to say my favorite band is Twenty One Pilots and I listen to many others like: Foster the People, Weezer, Linkin Park, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Passenger, Mumford and Sons, Jack Johnson, Brett Dennen, and Mat Kearney but Coldplay will always hold a special spot as my childhood favorite and a band that I will always follow no matter what direction they go with their music (please not more ASFOS haha).

I always loved music growing up, and my parents played for me tons of classic rock and pop: Prince, Led Zeppelin, Boston, Queen, James Taylor, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Simon and Garfunkle, Paul Simon, and lots of Red Hot Chili Peppers!!!! (old and new) I really loved that stuff and still do, but when I entered middle school, I pretty much was only into top 40 music and Pop punk and Emo bands like Hawthorne Heights, Story of the Year, Brand New, and still some of my favourite bands: Blink-182 and My Chemical Romance, and my other all time favourite still, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

In the eight grade, however, in 2008 for me, Coldplay dropped VLV. I always knew their radio hits and a few other songs here and there, but I bought this album on a whim and instantly was in love. I quickly bought the rest of their albums and just consumed all of it all of the time. A few years later, I joined this forum and by my senior year in high school, MX dropped, which I loved.

Coldplay truly was a breaking point for me, their music was just barely alternative enough for me to start getting into a huge Indie pop movement that was sweeping through my region in the U.S. I quickly began listening to Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse, St. Vincent, The Decembrists, Arcade Fire, Blind Pilot, The Head and the Heart, Iron and Wine to name a few. Radiohead followed shortly after, rising to be one of my favourite bands, and began expanding my tastes almost entirely outside pop radio.

In my most recent years in college, I really have acquired some serious tastes for a little bit of everything. I love bluegrass and traditional folk music from my region, indie rock/pop, hardcore emo, black metal, post-rock, hardcore punk music, electronic dance and atmospheric music, jazz, but most recently, I have been overwhelmed with hip-hop/rap and listen to it almost constantly. To me, it is the new rock and roll and the hip hop artists in this decade, both popular and underground, are some of the most innovative, exciting, and important in the music industry right now in my opinion.

13: Obsessed with Coldplay, The Scientist is the first song I love

14: Obsessed with Oasis, Grow hair to a Gallagher-esque degree and buy a parka

15.5/ Obsessed with Radiohead, listen to them ridiculously regularly to this day

Now: Massive Expansion of Taste (good lp7 title?) Love loads of music, from Aphex Twin to Sigur Ros, but Coldplay, Oasis and Radiohead remain my favourites and I still have long hair and spend too much time listening to In Rainbows dressed as a French revolutionary :)

pre 13 - Started with pop and classical music (classical has been a constant, though very much in the background throughout), plus bands such as Happy Mondays, Beck and New Order which my Dad listened to which I enjoyed (possibly more due to familiarity and then in my later teens greater appreciated the quality of those works), and then on to rap with the likes of Eminem and Dr Dre. My sister was also a big influence during this time and she listened to a lot of 'goth' and grunge music at the time. She also introduced me to Radiohead, Nirvana, Deftones and Marilyn Manson (though these were very much in the background and I couldn't quite understand how good some of it was).

13-17 - After Coldplay had broken me into more guitar influenced music Is This It by The Strokes was released and I started listening to music which had more energy. The Strokes, Kings Of Leon's first two records, The White Stripes and The Libertines, along with bands like The Cribs and The Hives. As well as this genre i also started getting into the likes of Trip Hop'sMassive Attack, Portishead and Punk and Post Punk such as Joy Division and Sex Pistols.

17-20 - When I got to College and met a new group of people (the first time I had been amongst like minded people, both with their outlook on life and also on music) I started seeking out what I consider to be much more thought provoking and beautiful music. During this time I also started looking at large volumes of work from different bands due to downloading. The familiarity of Massive Attack and Portishead allowed me to delve deeply into Radiohead, Bjork, CocoRosie, Daniel Johnston, Arcade Fire, Beirut, Flaming Lips, Sigur Ros and Antony & the Johnson's, and I also saw a resurgence for rap and became of aware of shoegazing (which was a nice midway point between the new beautiful music I was listening to and the guitar based energetic bands I had been heavily into previously) through My Bloody Valentine. This period also so me get into The Smiths, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and The Velvet Underground. Arctic Monkeys and Jimi Hendrix get honourable mentions here too.

20-22 - Having been at university and also looking into as much new music as possible I felt my music taste move away from some of the more thrashy bands of the past and get into more folky music and excellently written songs. I got heavily into David Bowie, The Beatles (their trippy stuff and Revolver/Rubber Soul especially - I had already been aware of their early work and found it ok), Department Of Eagles, Atlas Sound, Devendra Banhart, Leonard Cohen, Aphex Twin (a wildcard but there is plenty of beauty to be found there) and Neil Young.

22-24

I've moved between psychedelic and ambient mainly over the last two years. I have not been confined to these genres however. Tame Impala have been my favourite band over the last couple of years. I've also seen a return to rap/hip hop/rnb and I've revisited many of my favourite bands from the past.

OK, so 24-26 has been a continuation of psychedelic music then more recently moving back to electro and IDM. Recently been into Modeselktor (looked into him much more than in the past), Kiasmos, RYKARD and Jon Hopkins, new Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Bjork and Thom Yorke's projects (none of those new artists for me). As for psychedelic I've been looking into Melody's Echo Chamber, Can, Connan Mockasin, Mac DeMarco. Really got into modern classical and ambient again too, with the likes of Max Richter, Philip Glass, Goldmund and Nils Frahm.

Been listening to a lot of new music and plenty of individual songs as opposed to full albums. I have also got a record player so I listen to the things I own quite a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic thread idea! not sure I've posted here before so here it goes:

I hated the radio being on when i was 4 so i didn't like music that much.

7: i remember liking RHCP's "otherside" and Bon Jovi's "It's my life"

8-9: started getting into music. started off with NSYNC, Shakira, J-Lo, JaRule, Rap, RnB, Eminem, Destiny's Child. afterwards i discovered Linkin Park, Good Charlotte, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Blink 182, Coldplay (i was starting to like them so i'd say i started from here), RHCP, Busted, McFly

10-11: Pretty much the same as 8-9 but I ditched rap and RnB. Started getting into Coldplay more.

12-13: pretty much the same as 10-11. Listened to more Coldplay and started listening to metal. Listened to some Guns n Roses, Black Sabbath. Started trying out more bands like Modest Mouse, started listening to more Jamiroquai, Keane, some Moby.

14-now: music taste still the same. don't really listen to rap and RnB unless it's catchy.

EDIT:

I was reviewing this post and saw that some details were missing.

10-11: ditched Shakira, J-Lo, JaRule, etc.

12-13: discovered Muse, Green day

14: fell in love with Gavin DeGraw's "Chariot" album. :wacko: listened to it on repeat for a long time :P

Well...that's all (i think) for now :P

• 2 months later...

I'll describe how my taste for music evolved and attributes of my life that were related. It might serve as raw data.

I got into music quite late at around my tenth grade. At that time, my ipod was filled with popular music like Linkin Park and Akon. I was music neutral until i came across the Diary of jane (Breaking Benjamin,Alternative). At this point, I was having a rough period with my Girlfriend and I felt i could relate to this song. Further exploring alternative I found that it was a good description of how my teenage days were (I was a socially awkward child).

Then I got introduced to bands like slipknot and disturbed. I started favoring these songs after my break up. Some thing about the loudness in these songs made me feel powerful again. I didn't depart completely into death metal. I found those music to be unnervingly noisy, although Arch enemy was an exception, because the lyrics were comprehensible. I disliked pop with female artists, probably because most of the songs were only about love (Note the shallowness). But I could relate to bands with male vocals like Poets of the fall. I Also disliked punk rock because it felt to bright and cacophonous (even if the vocals were by male artists). Although I'm no introvert, I do appreciate harmony and avoid huge gatherings.

As I grew older, I tried out jazz and Blues. I was in and out of crushes at this point and was undergoing my emotionally unstable phase. I was also into instrumental music and post progressive rock. I found this music as the best choice for ambient music. It also went well with "Highs".Also found grunge and psychadelic music to be nice.

Then I discovered Indie. Although this genre is very broad, some aspects of it appealed. It had a bight melodious note with smooth vocals and got me in a jumpy mood. I found this especially nice during my work life when i had to overcome stress and still stay happy.

So in my case, my tastes in music are influenced by changes in lifestyle.