✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Describe The Evolution Of Your Music Taste

Prince Myshkin

Hmm.. interesting, discovering the world of music - seemed like a natural to me. But getting into the details took a bit longer, true. I think it's a matter of temperament as well - the types of music we enjoy. For me, musical tastes varied widely as a child, from all those early albums of poloma blanca and ABBA to the Beatles, to modern pop - into today's music (Coldplay)- I guess I just flow with the times, occasionally pausing to enjoy some pleasant songs from the past. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZ95a249p0&NR=1&feature=fvwp]YouTube - Doobie Brothers - Black Water (High Quality)[/ame]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I am surprised how close your taste in music was and is to mine, Chuck.

I have an elder brother who is 1½ years older than me. When he was around 10 years old, he began listening to music a lot. I could hear him play his vinyl records with the BEATLES and SIMON & GARFUNKEL in his room. :heart: The Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel became my early favourites as well. Then, in 1974 ABBA had their breakthrough with Waterloo and in 1976 they started to dominate all the charts around the world except in the USA, but they had one no. one hit in the USA with Dancing Queen in 1976.

From 1974 and until recently, I listened to sales charts on the radio (the US, UK, German, Swedish, Danish and European charts). At one time my favourites were ABBA, the Beatles, Beach Boys, the Bee Gees, ELO, Eagles, Elton John, Queen & Stevie Wonder. On a good day, most of - or all of - these artists were played on the radio.

From May 2005 I discovered U2's music and became a fan.

In June 2008 (on 22,6,08 and in the following months) I discovered Coldplay and their music.

So today, I count ABBA, the Beatles, Coldplay and U2 as my absolute top favourites - now and all-time.

that bit really made me smile. reminds me of my 18yr old self. discovering the "world of music" is a truly wonderful journey.

Awww :blush: :lol:

Hmm.. interesting, discovering the world of music - seemed like a natural to me. But getting into the details took a bit longer, true. I think it's a matter of temperament as well - the types of music we enjoy.

It also really depends on the access you have to different types of music, to find what you like most! But I agree, temperament makes a huge difference.

I've only recently started listening to older bands, like Jeff Buckley and Simon and Garfunkel (as well :P)

They are good, right Rudy?

I consider "Bridge over troubled water" as Simon & Garfunkel's best song - a true evergreen. But also Cecilia and Mrs. Robinson (from the movie "the Graduate" with a young Dustin Hoffman) are pearls.

Do you know these songs?

No. :shame:

Awww :blush: :lol:

I've only recently started listening to older bands, like Jeff Buckley and Simon and Garfunkel (as well :P)

:lol: *hi-5*

I consider "Bridge over troubled water" as Simon & Garfunkel's best song - a true evergreen. But also Cecilia and Mrs. Robinson (from the movie "the Graduate" with a young Dustin Hoffman) are pearls.

Do you know these songs?

my favourite is

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7aUNZQVpQ]YouTube - For Emily Whenever I May Find Her[/ame]

And don't be silly Jonnyslice, I find this whole topic interesting, don't put yourself down :).

Well I'm glad you find it interesting. When I ask my friends how their taste of music evolved, it's usually a reply, something along the lines of:

'JUSTIN BIEBER!' :lol:

'Uuhhh, he's been around for like 9 months?' :inquisitive:

But I go to an all girls school :laugh3:

Do you know these songs?

The Graduate is my favourite film and the username Braddock is Hoffman's characters last name :cool:

My favourite S&G song is...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO9Ild2cvdg]YouTube - April Come She Will--Simon & Garfunkel[/ame]

Oh, and The Sounds of Silence.

Well I'm glad you find it interesting. When I ask my friends how their taste of music evolved, it's usually a reply, something along the lines of:

'JUSTIN BIEBER!' :lol:

'Uuhhh, he's been around for like 9 months?' :inquisitive:

But I go to an all girls school :laugh3:

:lol:

They have lots to learn.

Congratulations on being highly evolved in comparison.

Great thread Greg :thumbsup:

pre 13: Local pop music. The music scene in my country is like really really bad (we were at least ten years behind and still are) so I was listening to shit pathetic music since I was five until I was 13 :blank:

13-14: I started to listen to pop like Nsync and stuff. But that's because of peer pressure. I was feeling kinda left out because I don't know these pop artists. I didn't like them very much tbh.

15-17: My turning point was when I listened to Green Day. I started to get really into them and other bands like System of a Down, The Offspring, Nofx, Nirvana. But the bands that I listened to was very limited because there was no medium that I can use to discover new music. The easiest way was to listen to local bands so I did that. I even started to go to gigs. It was a whole new exciting experience for me.

18 onwards: I got to know this one guy who introduced me to Coldplay. I was skeptical at first, but I fell in love straight away after listening to Parachutes. My obsession with them lasted for few years. I did listened to other music along the way like The Strokes, Pete Murray, Patrick Watson, Feist, Bjork and even Radiohead but Coldplay was THE band for me (plus I got really annoyed by obsessed Radiohead fans who thought their music taste is like basically above every one else). The peak moment was when I was in Sydney and I attended their shows. I became an obsessed fangirl for a few months :shame: But quite drastically I started to get tired of it plus I fell completely out of love of VLV so I started to search for new music. I gave Radiohead another listen and this time I was totally blown away. From then on I tried to listen to more bands. I went back and forth from Oasis to The XX to U2 to Metric to Queen to Yeah Yeah Yeahs to Arcade Fire and to other music i general. If someone were to ask me my most listened bands/music for the moment, I'd say Arcade Fire, Queen, Julian Casablancas, Kasabian, Vampire Weekend and Radiohead. But I'll keep on looking for new music and it'll stay this way for quite a long time me thinks.

The Graduate is my favourite film and the username Braddock is Hoffman's characters last name [/color]:cool:

Oh, and The Sounds of Silence.

The Graduate was a really good film, I agree. :thumbsup:

But I must admit that I didn't relate your user name Braddock to Hoffman's character or the Graduate. :embarrassed:

Thanks for telling us.

Yes, and The Sounds of Silence is also a pearl. I knew that there was a Simon & Garfunkel song more to mention - a real pearl - but couldn't recall the melody / name at the moment of writing that post.

I find it cool that so many Coldplayers like Simon & Garfunkel, because I had not realized that until now. :cool:

As I never mentioned my age before , I'll not do it now either :nice:

4/3 years ago I just listened to music on the radio :uhoh:

3/2 years ago I stated getting intrested in music

1,5 year ago I Really got into Coldplay , I also liked Pearl Jam , The Offspring and a bit of Oasis

after being a huge Coldplay fan for ... 4 or 5 months :thinking: I was starting to find it boring , and then I got reaaaally (:charming:) into Oasis, and went back in time with 90' and the 80' 70' and 60' followed

and now I'm here :nice:

It's pretty recent , as I'm between 14 and 18 years old (i CAN tell you that ;))

I can't remember-10: Bubblegum pop Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Britney Spears

10-12: Classic Rock (and still some pop) The Who, still some Backstreet Boys

12-13: Whatever was on the Top 40s Crap

13-15: Emo/Japanese stuff/fanfiction writing stuff Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Cobra Starship, The Used, My Chemical Romance, any random Japanese songs from anime, Relient K

15-August 2009: Amazing stuff that I had previously thought was crap because I was only 13 and didn't know good music and didn't appreciate it Coldplay, Coldplay, and more Coldplay

August 2009-August 2010: Coldplay and beyond Coldplay, Elbow, Silversun Pickups, U2

Now: My musical Renaissance Coldplay, Oasis, The Killers, U2, The Kooks, Elbow, The Beatles, The Who

My turn! :pimp2:

pre 13 - I don't think I had much musical taste as a kid really. I mostly listened to whatever my mom was playing around the house, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, The Smiths, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Journey, Sheryl Crow, lots of oldies radio stations she would play. So I remember all those artists and growing up to them.

13-16 - I was 13 when I got A Rush of Blood to the Head and I remember wearing that CD out, guess that's when the CP obsession started. I was also still into Sheryl Crow a lot (her newer stuff now though sucks :sad:. But her older Globe Sessions and Tuesday Night Music Club stuff is still great! ) Also I really loved Death Cab for Cutie, Switchfoot, Train, Modest Mouse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Five For Fighting, Franz Ferdinand, just getting into Gorillaz when Demon Days came out, No Doubt, Imogen Heap, Jet, John Mayer, James Blunt, Keane, The Killers, The Strokes, The Hives, Theory of a Dead Man, a lot of random stuff I guess in there.

17-18 Near the end of that.. when I was still around 16 I also started trying to listen to all the bands that Coldplay would mention in their interviews :lol: The bands that they liked

Especially Jonny always had awesome bands to recommend like The Stone Roses, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Pixies.... Chris was always mentioning Radiohead, R.E.M., Oasis... Guy mentioning Kraftwerk and how he liked Blur :wacky::wacky: I remember wanting to listen to all of Kate Bush's stuff just because they said Speed of Sound was inspired by her song Running Up That Hill :rolleyes: No but really I have to give Coldplay credit for all the other great bands that I listen to now.

19 - present - I really don't know what my "musical style" is now, lots of British music for sure, especially Britpop and 80s British music. Coldplay is no longer my number one favorite band, which made me sad for a bit hahaha but they were bumped down by Blur. So my favorite bands now are: Blur, Coldplay, Radiohead, Kasabian, The Strokes, Gorillaz, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Manic Street Preachers, Mew, The Flaming Lips, The Smiths, The Clash, Joy Division, Sigur Rós, The Kinks, The Jam, The Teardrop Explodes, Sonic Youth, Pavement, The Cribs, Hey Rosetta!, Stone Roses, Elastica, The Good The Bad And The Queen, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Beck, Bat For Lashes, Florence + The Machine, Bauhaus, Wolfmother, The Doors, Echo & the Bunnymen, Jim Morrison, Pulp, Franz Ferdinand, R.E.M., The Pixies, Thom Yorke,Apparatjik, Damon Albarn, New Order, Deerhunter, Beach House, The Big Pink, Suede, Devendra Banhart, Wintersleep, Stars, Nirvana, Portishead, Wilco, MGMT, Tame Impala, Arcade Fire, Supergrass, Bjork, Foals, David Bowie, Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Caribou, Kings Of Leon, Peter Bjorn and John, Kula Shaker, Queens of the Stone Age, Massive Attack, The Klaxons, Delphic, Eels, Goldheart Assembly, The Courteeners, Beruit, White Lies, U2, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Modest Mouse, Mumford and Sons, Los Campesinos!, The Coral, Band of Horses, The White Stripes, Graham Coxon, Johnny Cash, Vampire Weekend, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, Phoenix, Little Joy, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Imogen Heap, Arctic Monkeys, Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton, Buchanan, The xx, Blonde Redhead, Empire of the Sun, Happy Mondays, Interpol, The Velvet Underground, Bon Iver... and then some.

Anyway, nice thread Greg :)

I enjoyed reading these too.

When i was 10 years i liked Danish pop music! :thinking:

At age 12 i liked more English pop music! - Avril Lavigne, Gwen Stefani, Britney Spears

At age 14, i was ''Punk!'' XD.. Marilyn Manson, Avril Lavigne (...) Evanescence :p

At age 15 i began to like better music..Mika, No Doubt, Tracy Crapman, Queen, Christina Aguilera.. And Coldplay :awesome:

16 - now. Coldplay, the white stripes, Gorillaz, No Doubt, Mika, Kashmir, Queen, Saybia, Radiohead. ^^

• 2 years later...
I was thinking today about the wide range of music that I have listened to in my life, and the way that my music taste has evolved. I have been introduced to lots of different bands and genres, whether it was from my family, my friends, online or on nights out.

I have found that since the age of around 13 (a specific age since that was when Is This It by The Strokes was released) my music taste has been quite consistent. Whilst I may listen to different genres as well now, there is nothing I can think of which I look back on (from 13 and older) and cringe that I once liked that band. I think this is a good thing for myself and that I am not too reactionary when it comes to changing trends and being easily influenced by 'coolness'.

pre 13 - Started with pop and classical music (classical has been a constant, though very much in the background throughout), plus bands such as Happy Mondays, Beck and New Order which my Dad listened to which I enjoyed (possibly more due to familiarity and then in my later teens greater appreciated the quality of those works), and then on to rap with the likes of Eminem and Dr Dre. My sister was also a big influence during this time and she listened to a lot of 'goth' and grunge music at the time. She also introduced me to Radiohead, Nirvana, Deftones and Marilyn Manson (though these were very much in the background and I couldn't quite understand how good some of it was).

13-17 - After Coldplay had broken me into more guitar influenced music Is This It by The Strokes was released and I started listening to music which had more energy. The Strokes, Kings Of Leon's first two records, The White Stripes and The Libertines, along with bands like The Cribs and The Hives. As well as this genre i also started getting into the likes of Trip Hop'sMassive Attack, Portishead and Punk and Post Punk such as Joy Division and Sex Pistols.

17-20 - When I got to College and met a new group of people (the first time I had been amongst like minded people, both with their outlook on life and also on music) I started seeking out what I consider to be much more thought provoking and beautiful music. During this time I also started looking at large volumes of work from different bands due to downloading. The familiarity of Massive Attack and Portishead allowed me to delve deeply into Radiohead, Bjork, CocoRosie, Daniel Johnston, Arcade Fire, Beirut, Flaming Lips, Sigur Ros and Antony & the Johnson's, and I also saw a resurgence for rap and became of aware of shoegazing (which was a nice midway point between the new beautiful music I was listening to and the guitar based energetic bands I had been heavily into previously) through My Bloody Valentine. This period also so me get into The Smiths, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and The Velvet Underground. Arctic Monkeys and Jimi Hendrix get honourable mentions here too.

20-22 - Having been at university and also looking into as much new music as possible I felt my music taste move away from some of the more thrashy bands of the past and get into more folky music and excellently written songs. I got heavily into David Bowie, The Beatles (their trippy stuff and Revolver/Rubber Soul especially - I had already been aware of their early work and found it ok), Department Of Eagles, Atlas Sound, Devendra Banhart, Leonard Cohen, Aphex Twin (a wildcard but there is plenty of beauty to be found there) and Neil Young.

I am really excited about what the future holds for music and the new things I shall hear.

Can you path your evolving tastes?

OK, figured I'd do an update on this since it's been a couple of years.

22-24

I've moved between psychedelic and ambient mainly over the last two years. I have not been confined to these genres however. Tame Impala have been my favourite band over the last couple of years. I've also seen a return to rap/hip hop/rnb and I've revisited many of my favourite bands from the past.

What's everybody else been up to?

Pre 10

Listened to S-Club, Atomic Kitten, Steps, Britney Spears so much throughout primary school and was introduced to the likes of ABBA and 80’s mainstream stuff that my dad liked and would play on car journeys.

11/12

Went through a phase of listening heavily to anything in the top 40 and would spend ages just flicking music channels. Also started liking more stuff of my dad’s like Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Stereophonics.

12/13

Focussed my attention on R&B music, fell in love with Beyonce, especially B’day and Dangerously in love which I’d just repeat over and over on my cd player. Also stuff like Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, Ne-yo and general mainstream R&B stuff and for ages my favourite song was Waterfalls by TLC

14/15

I went all indie, sometimes I would try and listen to stuff people talked about in class a lot like Paramore but I guess it just wasn’t really my thing. I went through this phase where I would scour youtube finding all these songs by unsigned bands and fairly unknown ones and I thought they were cool. Then I got into stuff like Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, Snow Patrol and of course Coldplay who I obsessed over for well over a year. That then lead me onto Radiohead. I went through a phase of being obsessed with TV and I loved all these 80’s mainstream stuff like OMD, Duran Duran, Ultravox.

15/16

Continuing on from my TV obsession I fell in love with a show called Life On Mars which is where I thought this David Bowie guy ain’t half bad and before I knew it I listened to barely anything else. I remember the first time I heard the Ziggy Stardust in full on a journey to Carlisle and I just instantly loved him. Also I continued to explore Radiohead’s music as I’d only really listened to In Rainbows and Pablo Honey before as well as exploring my mum’s Cd collection and discovering the likes of Morrissey and The Cure. I got to liking other stuff as well from this forum because after a while I'd become accustomed to certain artist names and I’d listen to them.

16/17

Became really interested by indie folk stuff like Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes , Frightened Rabbit etc. also widened my horizons massively started listening to Sigur Ros, classical film scores, Kanye West, The Shins, Beach House etc.

17/18

I started listening to Morrissey again and The Smiths more so, I went through a phase of listening to The Beatles constantly because at times I felt like their love songs totally got me with like butterflies and shit (I know laame). Got into Frank Ocean and the style of his music reminded me of the R&B stuff I used to like so I started digging up a few of my old cds and also I appreciate Hip-Hop more now and ambient electronicy stuff which I found really great when I’ve had stressful exams and revision to do.