✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Giving Blood

ivet

There's some requirements to donate blood, right? Like a certain age thingy. :thinking:

Sex (sometimes)

Diseases

AIDS

Being homosexual (believe it or not, it is :/)

If you're in treatment (drugs)

And others I don't remember.

Also, they have to check the blood first, it's not like "I gave blood!" and it's all fine. They have to test it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never done it. When I was 20 I was about to but they didn't let me because they said my weight was not enough :shrug: I had blood drawn countless times, though.

And I think sometimes gays are rejected because people assume they're more promiscuous, which is IMO a prejudice.

Many infeccious diseases are more common in gay people. CMV, AIDS, even some parasites.

It's not the "promiscuous" thing, it's because homosexuals can have certain sexual activities that put them at risk. That's why they can't give blood that easily.

If my post sounds arrogant or with prejudice, please shoot me, cos it's not meant to sound like that.

I just looked up what the regulations are in Germany and apparently you're not allowed to donate blood if you're a homo- or bisexual man. Bi- and homosexual women are allowed to.

You're also not allowed to donate blood if you spent more than 6 months in Great Britain between 1980 and 1996 due to the risk of having been exposed to mad cow disease.

Many infeccious diseases are more common in gay people. CMV, AIDS, even some parasites.

It's not the "promiscuous" thing, it's because homosexuals can have certain sexual activities that put them at risk. That's why they can't give blood that easily.

If my post sounds arrogant or with prejudice, please shoot me, cos it's not meant to sound like that.

that was what was explained to me when I asked, I still think that if promiscuity is the reason, sexual orientation is not a way to tell who is and who isn't, but what you say about diseases makes sense.

when you say homosexuals, you mean men or women?

the real question behind it is, does it have a link with anal sex?

when you say homosexuals, you mean men or women?

the real question behind it is, does it have a link with anal sex?

I don't know everywhere else, but here the rules are pretty much related to homosexual men, or women who had sex with a guy who slept with another guy.

I've never donated blood cause they haven't been around since I have turned 18

but I want to :wacko:

I think it is wrong that homosexual people are not allowed donate.

But there must be a big fear with getting blood and they have to be super careful. Even if that does come across as ignorant.

We were just learning today about how back in the 80's ( before AIDS was discovered )

blood used to be sent over here and people died cause it was contaminated with AIDS and other dieseses.