✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Would Coldplay LP5 release date be affected U2's next album?

footyfan10

I suppose my thread title asks it all. Some of you may shudder at this and think I'm doing another U2 to Coldplay comparison. I'm certainly not. But I'm not sure if you guys are aware but U2 are looking to have their album out by at least May. Even if Coldplay didn't care when they released theirs in comparison (although I think they may), do you think the record label would want to have both coming out at the same time.

U2 aren't the band they used to be, but they're still serious players in terms of sales. Viva compared to No Line... sort of put to rest U2, but I have to feel if both albums were released in the same month they could affect each other.

:thinking:

That's a good point actually. Both are probably massive revenue generators and the record label would potentially want to spread out the release dates to make their incomings better over the financial year...And also to make sure that they don't cause competition between them.

Maybe a few months gap either side would be sufficient... So Coldplay in March or August?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Well U2 and Coldplay releasing albums within weeks of each other would be just perfect. Surprised by the lack of sales NLOTH had even though it is a top album. Based purely on their last album sales I think Coldplay would still sell more. TBH with you if every band in the world released an album on the same day Coldplay would still probably still sell the most.

meh , i think it would be interesting to see them released the same week :P like , who is gonna get that number one :P

But its more likely for coldplay to win :D , first of all , although u2 are still massive sellers , they are not longer what they used to be ( They still outsell any pop act :D) .

but given that first week sales for viva and X&Y were BOTH by far bigger than u2's album in both the US and UK ( viva and X&Y sold 700k+ first week in the us alone and 300k in UK . ) and u2 were like 400k for NLOTH and HTDAAB in usa

Ima go with coldplay :P plus i bet as always coldplay will have afirst hit single of their album

I suppose my thread title asks it all. Some of you may shudder at this and think I'm doing another U2 to Coldplay comparison. I'm certainly not. But I'm not sure if you guys are aware but U2 are looking to have their album out by at least May. Even if Coldplay didn't care when they released theirs in comparison (although I think they may), do you think the record label would want to have both coming out at the same time.

U2 aren't the band they used to be, but they're still serious players in terms of sales. Viva compared to No Line... sort of put to rest U2, but I have to feel if both albums were released in the same month they could affect each other.

:thinking:

U2 and Coldplay are completely different. I'm sure they won't be any impact for the sales nor release of both. U2 is renowned worldwide. They've been singing for over 30 years. For me there won't be any problem about it.

U2 and Coldplay can never be compared, although if they do have clashing dates then ill still think coldplay would reign more successfull than U2. only due to the fact that Coldplay are far more fresh and have only done four albums whereas U2 are like rock and roll legends yet they have had their time to dominate on popularity.

BTW Cnt wait 4 christmas lights :J

Probably not. It shouldn't anyway. If anything it might be better because people who like both would be like "awesome so much music is coming out right now I'm gonna play my mp3 for 16 hours instead of my usual 9 hours hoooo-ra". Kind of like when multiple video games come out in any given month and my husband gets all giddy and locks himself in his mancave for awhile to celebrate gaming.

It would be the death of my finances so I hope not :uhoh:

Joking aside as far as I remember Paul Mc Guinness said they hope to put out the new album in May, but he's been talking about the new album since NLOTH was published, so I'm not really sure they will be able to release it by that date

I don't think U2's planned release will affect the release of LP5 at all, but it will be interesting to see how well they do released within a short time span of each other. U2 and Coldplay are the two biggest bands in the world. No one else is in that top tier. U2 has stated that their last album was a bit out of touch and have redoubled their efforts to make another great album. Viva was hugely successful and it will be interesting to see if LP5 can live up to the expectations.

I can't wait for both of them to be released!

It's going to be interesting to see Radiohead, Coldplay and U2 duke it out next year.

sales wise radiohead does not compete anymore with coldplay or u2 . They are not the big sellers they once used to be.

Actually , they never where the kind of massive sellers u2 and Coldplay are . On the other hand , they are always critically aclaimed , lots more than Coldplay for example

U2 is comming to brazil in April, I dont believe that they're gonna release a new album already in May..

come on guys, considering the success of Viva la Vida, Coldplay has no fear of U2 anymore...

And I totally agree with you

As Chris has stated he is still waiting for the bands greatest album like Sgt Pepper. They haven't reached it yet and does not think it is on this album and maybe he will never reach it but the fans beg to differ based on sales of records and revenue from concerts past. Chris have you set your bar too high. After all Sgt Pepper is one of the all time best albums but in terms of sales and your fan base you have performance wise reached your greatest and it what you have created is not your greatest then I can only imagine what is yet to come.

I have to say however that I agree it would not be in the best interest of the record label to put both U2 and Coldplay out at the same time due to tour conflicts and level revenue streams. After all this is how they make their living so they have to time it just right.

U2 will sell concerts as will Coldplay but can the fans afford both concerts?? Maybe both LPs' but the cost of concert tickets these days it would put some serious hurting on tour revenue if the fan of both U2 that know how awesome a U2 concert is Live and have been to one or not but have heard how awesome they are live wanted to see them as this could be a final tour and have seen Coldplay each tour and realize they have more tours to come.... it would be a tough sell.

let's just hope that we can get both in the same year..................spread out and timed right.

U2 is comming to brazil in April, I dont believe that they're gonna release a new album already in May..

And I totally agree with you

No, Paul McGuinness, the band manager, said they're planning to have it out by May. They've had a lot of time off and have been writing while on tour. The last thing out said they had all the songs done they just needed to do the finishing process of recording, mixing, etc.

And although Coldplay may not have to worry about U2 performing in sales, that doesn't mean they don't actually worry. The guys clearly revere U2, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to go head to head if for only that reason.

As for what the albums promise...I really don't see U2 doing anything relevant anymore. In their prime they were able to be bold and innovative while writing songs people could love - now they're picking one or the other it seems. As U2 has become a reactive band since Pop, they're just going to try to lay out a lot of boring mainstream hits.

Coldplay obviously are going to do a great job. Nothing else to say. :cool:

As Chris has stated he is still waiting for the bands greatest album like Sgt Pepper. They haven't reached it yet and does not think it is on this album and maybe he will never reach it but the fans beg to differ based on sales of records and revenue from concerts past. Chris have you set your bar too high.

I'm glad he set the bar that high

because if Coldplay thought they had done what they came to do and were at the very best they could be then they would probably..... you know.... stop. :disappointed: :blank:

So in that respect.... let them set their sights on the impossible.

It only means theyre going to keep trying to get better and better and making more albums.... which is good news for me.

Im relieved because... although I found coldplay at the beginning of their careers (2001)

I had no computer until 2005

hardly any TV or Radio

and

Couldn't go to their concerts thats for damn sure (this part hurts the worst)

So I couldnt really ... immerse myself in the world of Coldplay like I can now.

My knowledge of them was limited to whatever bits I heard on the radio or TV and the CD's they released.

So its good to know that.... despite having missed out on so much... there's still ways to go so I can sort of make up for lost time.... sort of.

sales wise radiohead does not compete anymore with coldplay or u2 . They are not the big sellers they once used to be.

Actually , they never where the kind of massive sellers u2 and Coldplay are . On the other hand , they are always critically aclaimed , lots more than Coldplay for example

I don't think Radiohead will come close to either of those two. But I think it'll be interesting to see how they rank for the music magazines.

I think they actually might affect each other, but not enough to really make a difference. At this point, I think Coldplay is going to sell more right off the bat, but depending on how good U2's album is, they could be...formidable...on the charts.

Oh gosh...U2, Coldplay and Radiohead all in one year.

I'm ready for this new decade. :D