✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What type of music fan are you? Check all that apply.

MrMagpie

Eh I don't regard myself as a hipster, but I think I listen to stuffs that hipsters like.

I don't even understand why hipsters love triangles. :|

That's so weird, because today I was thinking about people that love triangles. :anxious:

That purple monster in Sesame Street is a hipster? :uhoh:

I could never be a real elitist... I like cheesy house music too much. I guess I'm always trying to not be an elitist or a hipster or at least not be a mean one because I really resent the mean streak a lot of music fandom has. I get really excited about the stuff the hipsters and elitists like and get annoyed by many of the things that annoy them. But it's geeky excited- I like what I like period and any self-conciousness about it comes from the outside: the hipsters and the music culture telling me I'm supposed to be self-conscious.

Gah... :dizzy:

See, this is why I like geekdom. No pretence or posturing, just everyone gets unselfconsciously insane about all their favourite things, and really excited that other people like them too. If you really like Firefly for example, you're going to exuberantly tell anyone who listens about Firefly because it is awesome and everyone should see it, and every new person who likes it is another fork in the eyes of the retards who canceled it.

But of course, ultimately, music has a long history of bestowing social status. Geekdom has a long history of negating any social status. So you could say geeks can like what they want to because they have no status left to lose anyway...

...I say they're more genuine and honest about who they really are because they love what they love openly for it's own sake, knowing the social cost and in spite of all the people who will make fun of them and look down on them. So really, geeks are more hipster than the hipsters according to hipster rules.

"...I say they're more genuine and honest about who they really are because they love what they love openly for it's own sake, knowing the social cost and in spite of all the people who will make fun of them and look down on them. So really, geeks are more hipster than the hipsters according to hipster rules."

Love this !

^I refuse to watch Firefly because I worked with somebody at camp with the earth name firefly and I didn't like her that much.

But I should watch it, I've heard good things about it.

Weird. It's called Firefly because Serenity is a firefly class ship. If you want an easy-to-get-into taste of what it's all about without having to deal with the name "Firefly", watch the movie Serenity. It's one of the best sci-fi movies in a long time and you don't have to know anything about the tv series to understand it.

But yes, it is the epitome of awesome and you should watch it. *nods*

I definitely fall under "It doesn't matter, listen to what you want to listen to." I do not like musical elitists at all. In fact, they drive me crazy acting like there is some empirical or objective evidence that the music they listen to is the best. Even worse is when they talk down to people who don't like exactly what they're listening to. Music is personal; you should listen to what you enjoy.

I definitely fall under "It doesn't matter, listen to what you want to listen to." I do not like musical elitists at all. In fact, they drive me crazy acting like there is some empirical or objective evidence that the music they listen to is the best. Even worse is when they talk down to people who don't like exactly what they're listening to. Music is personal; you should listen to what you enjoy.

well said/written (about them music elitists)! :)

Music is personal; you should listen to what you enjoy.

+1

i personally think the more variated the better, i find it :freak: some people just know and listen about a genre or a couple ones, or like 15 bands, and worst is when they look at others as: 'you are a fool, how you can like shoegaze and reggae? that doesn't make sense' or things like that.