✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

So, I'm considering RADIOHEAD

NumbersGirl

I've never really listened to their music before. I've avoided it, although I'm not sure why. Seeing random talk on the forum about Radiohead has piqued my interest.

As far as my "typical" taste in music, I'll put up with pretty much anything except country. I usually listen to classic rock and radio stations that play music from 70s-90s, and Coldplay (*gasp!* blasphemy, I just mentioned Coldplay in the lounge).

Yesterday I watched this little 40-minute show which was a hodgepodge of some of Radiohead's live performances from TV appearances, mostly 'Later with Jools Holland'. Plus a few weeks ago I saw a video of a live performance of House of Cards. My initial reaction is that they seem to be an amazing live band.

So, I'd like some input here. If I start listening to them, I'd have a lot of catching up to do since it looks like there are 7 LPs. And I'm old school so that means I'd go out and buy the CDs. Should I? Or should I not even bother? If I do, should I start at the beginning or go with the most recent stuff and work my way back? For those of you who listen, what are your favorite LPs/songs?

I'm going to be a sponge here, so let me know what you think, good or bad. And after your input, let me know how much of a fan you are on a scale of 1 to 10: 1 being "Radiohead sucks and I hope they rot", and 10 being "they are the best band in the world if I ever met Thom Yorke I would curl up into a ball and die of sheer happiness."

GO.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO EHT.

I personally think they're amazing, but you should give them a listen to and see what you think. My only thing was that I hated them the first few listen-throughs, but after awhile they really grew on me. :nice:

Scale of 1-10....I'd say about a 7 or 8 for me. :P

well I think people know my stance and number rank on the band :lol:

I'd personally recommend getting their albums, because their albums work extremely well as a whole.

I'd start with getting In Rainbows or The Bends, then OK Computer then Hail to the Thief, then either Kid A or Amnesiac and lastly Pablo Honey (not a good album except a few songs). I find that's the order of accessibility into getting into the band.

In terms of songs I find easiest to get into I'd go with: Fake Plastic Trees, Karma Police, High and Dry, No Surprises, Knives Out, There There, Arpeggi, All I Need, House of Cards, Creep, Just.

Basically all of their biggest hits.

Listen to In Rainbows before you do anything else in your life. It will change you.

After that go in roughly chronological order I would say. DO NOT listen to Pablo Honey. We don't even like to talk about that record.

The Bends isn't a good record in my opinion; but you say you like classic rock, so go for it I suppose... it's definitely their rockiest record. OK Computer is overrated but better than The Bends. After that you enter sacred territory, everything after OKC is amazing. Kid A is hard to get into but Amnesiac is harder, so listen to Kid A before you listen to Amnesiac. Hail To The Theif is a little different, more like OKC/The Bends than Kid A/Amnesiac are... if you like those two records, listen to HTTT before Kid A/Amnesiac, if not, just listen to the three in chronological order. :shrug: That's what I'd suggest anyway.

As far as my Radiohead fandom... Hm. I don't freak out about them as much as some people I know, but they are up there on my list of favorite bands evar, and I would probably get palpitations if I met Thom Yorke, though not curl up. So a 7 or 8?

I think In Rainbows is good to start with.

I started with In Rainbows and then went backwards. :anxious:

Yeah, my first album was In Rainbows, so I'd start with that.
Hmm. In Rainbows seems to be the general concensus in terms of a 'starting point'. I suppose that might be good because as I mentioned in my first post, a few weeks ago I watched a live version of House of Cards. I was mildly mesmerized. I thought, wow, Yorkie has a voice like buttah.

YES, I meant to say Yorkie

Yeah I probably shouldn't have listened to Pablo Honey first but I just did for some reason :shrug: and then I got obssesed with some other music and didn't listen to them again for a few weeks.

That was the first rh album i listened too but then again it was 1994 and they only had that album and a few bsides but it was good. Try listening to the bends and ok computer if you have time.