✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay endorse 'Freedom for Palestine' single on Facebook

Guest howyousawtheworld

By doing this I don't think Coldplay are saying they are against the Israeli people, I think they are saying they are against the actions of the Israeli government. I think they're right in doing this.

Exactly. I am against pretty much everything the America government does foreign policy wise but I'm not against the America people - for example.

:)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all. You don't know me, just as I don't know you. I don't post, but I visit this site every day and enjoy reading the things most of you have to say. One thing I do know about is the Palestinian struggle for survival, because I take the time to find out and keep updated about it. I'm certainly not going to lecture anyone here, but what I will do is plead with you to find out just what is happening. There is an abundance of information available, although it is not pleasant (to put it mildly).

Quite simply, Coldplay's support for this new song is not 'political', it is humanitarian. Surely, this is one of the things we love Coldplay for. Having said that, I really have no problem with anyone, be they celebrities or otherwise, taking an interest in, and even speaking about, politics. They are people too.

It is too easy (perhaps even a little lazy) just to write off Coldplay as taking sides. We like to think we know all about them as individuals and as a group, but we don't. We don't know their innermost thoughts and feelings, and we don't know what they do in their private lives. It is possible that at least some of them follow current events and keep themselves informed of what is happening in other countries. We do know that they are all very caring people, and would be very careful about what they say in public. I am proud to be a fan of such a group, and I am proud that they have supported this song, particularly as it is for a charity which will help to alleviate the deprivation and suffering that the Palestinians endure every single day of their lives.

Peace and one love,

Ruqayya.

I do not want to believe that Coldplay's music has in their type of political views with Israel against us you know they won the title of the band of the decade our main radio? You know half the people hate them now what should I do?

I don't think you should hate them for that, pro Palestine does not mean anti Israel. This a way to put pressure on the Israeli government to acknowledge Palestine's rights...not a death to Israel campaign.

I have a lot to say about this but i won't because i feel it could turn into a not so pleasant argument.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I won't go into my views of this but I do think there is a lot of ignorant folk out there taking sides over an issue that in all honesty they don't know much about. I'm not saying Coldplay are these or any of you lot it's just from some friends I know of who are completely oblivious towards much of the issue.

Israel

The Israeli government is not being humanitarian? Please. When the Palestinian government stops firing rockets into Israel and threatening to blow it to pieces, then we can talk about Israel's humanitarian efforts. I'm sure there are many respectable Palestinian citizens who only want to live peacefully alongside the Jewish people, but until their government stops trying to destroy the country, it's not going to happen. Israel is willing to make concessions. The Palestinian government is not. This debate goes deep into ancient history, but even if you research information about the problem from the past century, you'll find that the Jews haven't done as much wrong as people think they have. Most of the land of Israel was given to the Palestinian people, who in turn sold large portions of it to many of the Jewish people who were in need of a place to live. In fact, they were selling so much of it that their government made it illegal to sell it to people of Jewish persuasion! The Jews resettled their country perfectly legally, being reborn as a nation in 1948, and now the people who sold it to them want it back. There is much more history behind this, but I'm not going any deeper into it on a Coldplay forum, of all places! Overall, I'm very disappointed in Coldplay's move to support this Palestinian movement, and I hope, if anything, they just did it for publicity's sake, rather than from their own convictions.

If the Palestinians want their land back, they need to cease-fire and make concessions. Biblically speaking, they'll get some land, but not for long. The peace they are after is only an illusion.

Rainy day, you are American, and because of this I forgive your complete and utter mis-education. You are fed lies and propaganda by a government which cannot speak its mind for fear of the back-lash from the Zionist lobby - which does exist at the very highest level. Palestinian children throw stones and are met with bullets. Palestinians throw home-made 'rockets' and are met with drones, war planes, tanks and guns. Children as young as 9 are pulled from their beds in the middle of the night and detained, tortured and if they refuse to sign 'confessions' (written in Hebrew) they are detained until they do. Then, they are taken to court and tried as adults and imprisoned and fined. Not exactly an equal playing field, is it? Compare the number of Israeli deaths with the number of Palestinians - the difference will amaze you. But don't take my word for it, look it up, it's all there to see in graphic detail.

But, you know, Coldplay have not said anything about this. All they have done is give props to a song which expresses the Palestinian wish for freedom, end of. They do not deserve the flak they are receiving.

Thanks, Zj23! I was expecting to get slammed for what I said, but that doesn't matter, anyway. I have supported the Palestinian cause for 30 years, ever since I first became aware of the situation, and it doesn't always win you friends. It could be worse, it could be my sons being shot at, my daughters being stoned by adults as they are walking with their classmates. It could be my home being bull-dozed to make way for settlers' houses, my electricity and water being cut off whilst settlers enjoy their swimming pools. Sorry, I do go on a bit, but this is what happens when you get involved in things that others know little or nothing about, and yet others who care even less.

Rainy day, you are American, and because of this I forgive your complete and utter mis-education. You are fed lies and propaganda by a government which cannot speak its mind for fear of the back-lash from the Zionist lobby - which does exist at the very highest level. Palestinian children throw stones and are met with bullets. Palestinians throw home-made 'rockets' and are met with drones, war planes, tanks and guns. Children as young as 9 are pulled from their beds in the middle of the night and detained, tortured and if they refuse to sign 'confessions' (written in Hebrew) they are detained until they do. Then, they are taken to court and tried as adults and imprisoned and fined. Not exactly an equal playing field, is it? Compare the number of Israeli deaths with the number of Palestinians - the difference will amaze you. But don't take my word for it, look it up, it's all there to see in graphic detail.

But, you know, Coldplay have not said anything about this. All they have done is give props to a song which expresses the Palestinian wish for freedom, end of. They do not deserve the flak they are receiving.

Thanks, Zj23! I was expecting to get slammed for what I said, but that doesn't matter, anyway. I have supported the Palestinian cause for 30 years, ever since I first became aware of the situation, and it doesn't always win you friends. It could be worse, it could be my sons being shot at, my daughters being stoned by adults as they are walking with their classmates. It could be my home being bull-dozed to make way for settlers' houses, my electricity and water being cut off whilst settlers enjoy their swimming pools. Sorry, I do go on a bit, but this is what happens when you get involved in things that others know little or nothing about, and yet others who care even less.

Well said.

The Israeli government is not being humanitarian? Please. When the Palestinian government stops firing rockets into Israel and threatening to blow it to pieces, then we can talk about Israel's humanitarian efforts. I'm sure there are many respectable Palestinian citizens who only want to live peacefully alongside the Jewish people, but until their government stops trying to destroy the country, it's not going to happen. Israel is willing to make concessions. The Palestinian government is not. This debate goes deep into ancient history, but even if you research information about the problem from the past century, you'll find that the Jews haven't done as much wrong as people think they have. Most of the land of Israel was given to the Palestinian people, who in turn sold large portions of it to many of the Jewish people who were in need of a place to live. In fact, they were selling so much of it that their government made it illegal to sell it to people of Jewish persuasion! The Jews resettled their country perfectly legally, being reborn as a nation in 1948, and now the people who sold it to them want it back. There is much more history behind this, but I'm not going any deeper into it on a Coldplay forum, of all places! Overall, I'm very disappointed in Coldplay's move to support this Palestinian movement, and I hope, if anything, they just did it for publicity's sake, rather than from their own convictions.

If the Palestinians want their land back, they need to cease-fire and make concessions. Biblically speaking, they'll get some land, but not for long. The peace they are after is only an illusion.

With all due respect, I disagree with you 110%.

-Please tell me the last time Hamas fired home-made, extremely weak rockets into Israel. These rockets, btw were utterly pointless, they did practically no damage whatsoever; so it irks me when people go crazy about them, and negate the draconian reaction the Israelis had when they killed thousands of innocent civilians in Gaza. It was prior to the Gaza massacre, and they fired rockets after Israeli soldiers broke the ceasefire on November 4th, 2008 and killed a Palestinian in Gaza.

-Israel's humanitarian efforts, or lack thereof? Lets be frank, there aren't any humanitarian efforts by them. If you consider an apartheid wall, an entire blockade on gaza so it becomes a virtual prison depriving people of medical and food supplies, and attacking aid flotillas that only desire to provide them with supplies to be humanitarian, then yes, they are extremely humanitarian :rolleyes:

-Israel is absolutely not willing to make any concessions whatsoever. Even if Obama pushes for a two state solution, Netanyahu makes adamant efforts to make sure that no progress is made. Go listen to his speech at AIPAC or with the US Congress. There are your concessions, he wont budge at all. To say the Israelis are perfectly willing to make peace is as ridiculous as saying the sky is green. If they were, they would have stopped building illegal settlements in the West bank eons ago.

I can go on, but this is not the place to discuss the conflict (and I won't discuss this any further). Point being made, I think Coldplay is totally correct on the position they made. They're supporting for humanitarian reasons, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Quite simply, Coldplay's support for this new song is not 'political', it is humanitarian.

Ruqayya.

Then we'll expect to see a song for the Kurds without a state or for the Syrians being gunned down in the street?

When palestinians were under Jordanian and Egyptian rule, their life expectancy was 43-48 years.

Under Israel, it went up to 73.1 years.

Gaza & West Bank have a higher life expectancy than Turkey and parts of Scotland. They have higher literacy rates than all the surrounding Arab countries.

Israel also eradicated Malaria in the territories which was killing palestinians prior to 1967.

"Palestinian children throw stones and are met with bullets. Palestinians throw home-made 'rockets' and are met with drones, war planes, tanks and guns. Children as young as 9 are pulled from their beds in the middle of the night and detained, tortured and if they refuse to sign 'confessions' (written in Hebrew) they are detained until they do. Then, they are taken to court and tried as adults and imprisoned and fined."

and you say "You are fed lies and propaganda"...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. WAKE UP AND TAKE OFF YOUR GOGGLES!!

When it comes to war, the israeli government is unquestionable the most humanatarian in the world. there is just no question about it. which other army drops leaflets on areas they are about to stretegically bomb because of terrorists hiding behind civilions, in order for civilians to have a chance to get out of the firing line. palestinians dont use "harmless" rockets, they are supplied by iran and syria and are capable of great destruction, and they are launced aimlessly at civilians, schools, shopping centres, by the THOUSANDS. think what you would want your country to do if your homes and schools were constantly under rocket fire? sit back?

Every single israeli wants peace, and the vast vast majority are willing to give up their legal land to do so, HOWEVER, how can a government negotiate with a terrorist organisation whos mantra is the destruction of the other party of negotiation???? when you can answer that, get back to me.

If you want to hear about humanitarian, why dont you go read the hamas charter, please, go read it. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT PEACE WILL COME WHEN THE PALASTINIANS LOVE THEIR CHILDREN MORE THAN THEY HATE ISRAEL. (golda meir) and you know that is true when the defining ideal of the governing body of the palastinians is the destruction and abliteration of israel.

PLEASE GO READ HAMAS CHARTER BEFORE DISREGARDING THIS. AND PLEASE TAKE OFF YOUR GOGGLES!

When it comes to war, the israeli government is unquestionable the most humanatarian in the world.

Col. Richard Justin Kemp CBE agrees with you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6vyT8RzMo]YouTube - ‪Goldstone Gaza Report: Col. Richard Kemp Testifies at U.N. Emergency Session‬‏[/ame]

"I am the former commander of the British forces in Afghanistan. I served with NATO and the United Nations; commanded troops in Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Macedonia; and participated in the Gulf War. I spent considerable time in Iraq since the 2003 invasion, and worked on international terrorism for the UK Governments Joint Intelligence Committee.

Mr. President, based on my knowledge and experience, I can say this: During Operation Cast Lead, the Israeli Defence Forces did more to safeguard the rights of civilians in a combat zone than any other army in the history of warfare.

Israel did so while facing an enemy that deliberately positioned its military capability behind the human shield of the civilian population.....

A highly decorated British Colonel who served in Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Northern Ireland and the first Gulf war.

wow watching that video i dont think i couldve said it better myself. awaiting the backlash of "that guy has been brainwashed by the western propaganda blah blah". please, instead of telling me why he or i have distorted perceptions (which we dont), why dont you SHOW ME why you think you are right and we are wrong. (and then ill tell you why you are wrong)

Hello all. You don't know me, just as I don't know you. I don't post, but I visit this site every day and enjoy reading the things most of you have to say. One thing I do know about is the Palestinian struggle for survival, because I take the time to find out and keep updated about it. I'm certainly not going to lecture anyone here, but what I will do is plead with you to find out just what is happening. There is an abundance of information available, although it is not pleasant (to put it mildly).

Quite simply, Coldplay's support for this new song is not 'political', it is humanitarian. Surely, this is one of the things we love Coldplay for. Having said that, I really have no problem with anyone, be they celebrities or otherwise, taking an interest in, and even speaking about, politics. They are people too.

It is too easy (perhaps even a little lazy) just to write off Coldplay as taking sides. We like to think we know all about them as individuals and as a group, but we don't. We don't know their innermost thoughts and feelings, and we don't know what they do in their private lives. It is possible that at least some of them follow current events and keep themselves informed of what is happening in other countries. We do know that they are all very caring people, and would be very careful about what they say in public. I am proud to be a fan of such a group, and I am proud that they have supported this song, particularly as it is for a charity which will help to alleviate the deprivation and suffering that the Palestinians endure every single day of their lives.

Peace and one love,

Ruqayya.

:thumbsup:

Researching subjects such as these can be difficult when you have had governments and the media dictate what opinion they think you should have, for pretty much your entire lives. Freeing yourself from bias is a very important step to take if you want to truly understand the situation for how it is.

Coldplay aren't forcing their views on the masses. It's up to the individual to discover what makes sense to them. What they are doing though is making people aware of a lesser accepted, alternative point of view through supporting a song. Which I think is a gentle but important way to get people who otherwise wouldn't bother themselves with such things, to at least take note and begin to question what's going on in the world.

some would say that this is a bad move from the band . but with knowledge comes responsibility !

when you know about the crimes committed by israel , its hard to just do nothing .

maybe they will lose some fans , but they will always be COLDPLAY :cool: and nothing is changing THAT .

the biggest problem ( in my view ) is that israel has built a wall , like berlin wall , a big prison . the west bank wall

and they are killing any one how try to aid the palestine people .

youtube(.)com/watch?v=xFEBbDkyrqQ

السلام كولدبلاي :)

peace coldplay , u will always be the best :)

Hi all, I don't want to get into the overall argument about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as it is an extremely complex issue (as exemplified by the fact that a lot of what posters on *both* sides have said is true). But I would like to explain why Israelis feel that this particular campaign is anti Israel - and I have a feeling Coldplay themselves are not aware of it.

If Coldplay had said that they support a two state solution, they would have found themselves in agreement with most Israelis today. However, what most *Palestinians* want - and, according to War on Want's website, that is also one of the aims of this campaign - is the "Right to Return" - the right of all Palestinian refugees to return to their old villages. This means not just the right to return to the future Palestinian state - i.e., Gaza and the West bank - but to the state of Israel. What's the problem with that, you ask? Well, today 20% of Israel's population is Arab, but if we allowed the right to return, the Palestinians would soon outnumber the Jews, and the Jews would again have no country of their own. If this were John Lennon's world of "Imagine", that would still not be a problem; but since this is our world, where only 70 years ago European Jews realized to their horror the problem of having no homeland, that would be a very grave problem indeed.

To sum up, I'm sure Coldplay's heart is in the right place and I doubt that they object to the existence of Israel as a Jewish homeland, but they should realize that this is what they are saying by supporting this campaign.

Guest Osaka Sun

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKpIRKqsrt4]YouTube - ‪Heartbreaking Palestinian Girl | ???? ???????? ????? ?????‬‏[/ame]

Also,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7855070.stm

I'm all for an continued Israeli state (I'm also part Jewish), but this is pathetic. Stop accusing people of anti-semitism and read up on both sides of the story.

Hey Osaka Sun, I hope that wasn't directed at me, because I certainly didn't accuse anyone of anti Semitism. Also, am I to understand that you support both the Right to Return and Israel as the Jewish homeland? Cause those are pretty much contradictory (as I said in the previous post, I'm all for a two state solution, but this is not what the video - and apparently, Coldplay - are backing.)

The "right of return" is a euphemism for the destruction of Israel.

There were more Jewish refugees created as a result of the war than palestinian.

The reason we don't hear about the 900,000 Jewish refugees thrown out of their homes by the Arabs, is because Israel took them all in and housed them.

Whereas the Arabs left the palestinians in camps.

Then we'll expect to see a song for the Kurds without a state or for the Syrians being gunned down in the street?

From who? Coldplay didn't even release THIS song, they merely endorsed the song on Twitter. As far as I know, they haven't said anything about the Palestinians or the Israelis.